Slow cooker EMERGENCY my turkey is too big for it

(10 Posts)
mirai Fri 15-Feb-13 14:09:35

It should cook down a little!

Thanks everyone for your suggestions. I'd never have thought of brute force, funnily enough!!

mirai Fri 15-Feb-13 14:08:27

I squashed him sad

He fits in now apart from a little bit on one side. I can't quite tell if the seal is connected or not. But I think as notaslimjim says, hopefully it ahos cook down a little.

oreo yes I don't see what would happen either?! But all of google seems to say You Must Not Lock It!! It's very intriguing...

Leave it to cook with the lid up for a while. As it cooks, it will shrink slightly and you should then be able to push the lid down properly

Oreocrumbs Fri 15-Feb-13 13:51:04

I would probably risk locking it to be honest, I can't see what would happen.

If you don't want to, then you can snip into the spine with scissors, that will let the body collapse a bit.

Doyouthinktheysaurus Fri 15-Feb-13 13:50:51

Squish it down. Press really hard on the back bone and it should give.

mirai Fri 15-Feb-13 13:50:12

Ok I'll try and press a bit harder. Breaking its bones sounds yuck though. Poor thing!!!

jennimoo Fri 15-Feb-13 13:48:04

If press it in and break its bones a bit like oreocrumbs suggests. You could always cut the legs off I'd portion it up otherwise.
Good luck!

mirai Fri 15-Feb-13 13:46:42

www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B004P2NG0K

That's the slow cooker I have. It's a portable one so has lockable clasps to lock the lid and give it a seal. There is a little steam hole on top but the instructions specifically say never to lock the lid while cooking. And I'm sure there's a very good reason for that!!

I have tried squashing it but he keeps bouncing back. confused

Oreocrumbs Fri 15-Feb-13 13:41:15

Can you break the bones and make it collapse a bit?

Not sure about locking the lid on - my slow cooker doesn't have any way to do that.

There is a hole in the lid so I can't see how it could explode or anything as it won't be sealed.

mirai Fri 15-Feb-13 13:38:45

I'm cooking a big turkey for lunch tomorrow. I bought the exact same turkey as usual only this time the lid won't close and sits on the turkey about 1cm too tall!

Is it really not allowed to "lock" the lid on the slow cooker when cooking? Will it explode or something?

What can I do?? We don't have an oven and I don't have a pot big enough to put it on the gas hob.

Really stressing now!!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now