Stuffed peppers - What would you put with them to make a meal?

(22 Posts)
Pascha Fri 08-Feb-13 11:56:25

MIL has very kindly sent one each over for dinner tonight (she overenthusiastically made lots and they need eating) but I have no idea how to bulk them out for a full plate. They are full of some cous-cous-y type thing.

noisytoys Fri 08-Feb-13 12:01:00

they are a meal in themselves in this house they are so filling

Bread? Some vegetable ttbats not in them. Sweeycorn or peas?

Pascha Fri 08-Feb-13 12:09:25

Could do some bread. Some salad, maybe? I agree they are filling but

A) I am breastfeeding and have the appetite of a horse and
B) DH will look at them askance after a hard day at work and ask me what the hell his mother was playing at and where is the rest of it.

Looking online suggests mash which seems a little heavy to me.

Wallison Fri 08-Feb-13 12:10:58

Garlic bread and salad?

drwitch Fri 08-Feb-13 12:19:55

do you mean one pepper between you or two. If it was one half each you will STARVE if bf. I always overcater but would probably serve then with some kind of beany/meaty/cheesey thing or an omellete and a green salad
x

MrsFriskers Fri 08-Feb-13 12:22:44

A lamb chop, salad, hummous, tzatzicki, and flatbread?

CitizenOscar Fri 08-Feb-13 12:26:02

Salad and maybe some roast potatoes if you're really hungry. I might add some cheese to the top of the stuffed pepper too. Maybe some green beans?

Snazzynewyear Fri 08-Feb-13 12:44:00

Sausages, chicken pieces? Think of them as a veg accomp.

WowOoo Fri 08-Feb-13 12:45:02

rice or couscous or jacket potato and salad.

jennybeadle Fri 08-Feb-13 12:46:29

Gorgeous with some grilled chicken. off to get some out of the freezer

Pascha Fri 08-Feb-13 13:07:52

I am STARVING all the time anyway wink. already couscous in them. Could do some wedges? Meaty beany cheesy thing sounds possible.

Pascha Fri 08-Feb-13 13:08:44

It's a whole one each but they are not huge.

Maryz Fri 08-Feb-13 13:12:00

If your dh is like mine he'll look at them as an accompaniment and will want some meat. Could you have them with a grilled chicken fillet, or a tin of tuna?

PatriciaHolm Fri 08-Feb-13 13:12:19

Chicken kebabs?

DragonQueen Fri 08-Feb-13 13:16:14

I would make potato wedges, or mashed potato, and serve them with greens/a salad. I often make them and we have them with the aforementioned. I have a great big hungry farmer to feed and the combination of the above fills him up. Mind you, I do tend to do 2 peppers per person, so 4 halves each and each half stuffed iyswim.

Lucky you - I love stuffed peppers! Especially when they have cheese grated over the top and then in the oven to go all melty and bubbly! Delicious!

bigbadbarry Fri 08-Feb-13 13:19:34

Rice, if they weren't already full of couscous, so, lamb chops and poss some sort of butter bean tomatoey stewy thing

Pascha Fri 08-Feb-13 13:30:26

I found some cheesey potato gratin-ey thing in the freezer so with that and some green beans I think I've got it. Meat free it is!

Yy Dragon I would eat 4 halves all to myself too for starters

Pascha Fri 08-Feb-13 13:31:23

I might go and put spicey bean stew on the meal plan for next week though.

I like them with new potatoes (boiled or roasted) and salad.

FeeFoo Fri 08-Feb-13 17:47:56

I like them served alongside grilled chicken, drizzled with lemon and freshly ground black pepper over the lot... Yum!

Pascha Fri 08-Feb-13 17:49:10

More good ideas. Thank you. I think they are lovely ideas for summertime.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now