Homemade 'sweet style' popcorn, possibly stupid question

(24 Posts)
looseleaf Sat 09-Feb-13 20:37:02

So enjoyed the frog!!!

I regularly make popcorn, oil in pan, let it pop and I drizzle maple syrup over it (we have to have dairy free so I hadn't thought of butter). Slightly sticky but v popular.

Never worth buying popcorn unless cost doesn't bother you- so cheap to make masses!

MrsBertMacklin Fri 08-Feb-13 22:44:05

I think I'll try throwing sugar in with the popcorn kernels, thanks all. Have a random frog.

HeadFairy Fri 08-Feb-13 19:35:52

I kind of do what havinganoffday does, but I use sugar and cinammon. Really yummy. The melted butter is the key thing though, makes the sugar stick to the popcorn.

drmummmsy Fri 08-Feb-13 19:33:18

sweet?! sweet?! why don't you melt butter ooooohh yeahhhh, dribble liberally, and then salt it!?

sweet, pfff!

tharsheblows Fri 08-Feb-13 19:31:45

Ah ha! That makes sense. Thanks.

NB: we did NOT cook the dog. She has nothing to do with popcorn, sweet as she was.

I've only done it once but it was a hit in our house:

Pop your corn
Melt butter, add caster sugar & a glug of golden syrup.
Pour over popcorn & stir til you have an even coverage

Yum grin

Taffeta Fri 08-Feb-13 19:28:46

I think the image uploader is just in this topic so people can show off show others their foodie creations

tharsheblows Fri 08-Feb-13 19:27:42

I like Taffeta's idea.

Sorry for the hijack, I got a little excited. The dog is Lily, a good dog, may she rest in peace.

I do sweet popcorn by heating oil, adding kernels and then sprinkling with sugar.
Lid on and a good shake and bobs a good un!

Taffeta Fri 08-Feb-13 19:26:39

ROFL @ random dog on popcorn thread grin

Taffeta Fri 08-Feb-13 19:26:06

Oh howled on its oil not butter eh. Maybe that wouldn't work then....

tharsheblows Fri 08-Feb-13 19:25:35

Since when was there an image uploader? What does that do?

Taffeta Fri 08-Feb-13 19:24:37

Surely you need to cook the popcorn in a butter sugar mix?

So melt butter, dissolve sugar and then add kernels to pop.

tharsheblows Fri 08-Feb-13 19:22:02

Could you melt the sugar in the butter and then coat the popcorn with that?

(I want popcorn now....)

DoodleAlley Fri 08-Feb-13 19:18:59

I make a sugar syrup with icing sugar and a drop of water just to get it to stick without making it soggy

Melted butter and icing sugar is the nearest I have managed.

MrsBertMacklin Fri 08-Feb-13 19:11:21

Hopeful bump

Ohhelpohnoitsa Thu 07-Feb-13 22:58:05

jam sugar has got a bit of citric acid in (rots teeth alert). this would make a popcorn/colabottle hybrid.... mmmm

BananaramaLlama Thu 07-Feb-13 22:21:50

I put butter on when the popcorn is really hot, get the popcorn really coated in melted butter, then sprinkle over caster sugar. Works best with small bowls (one each) and not too much sugar. It's not quite the same as at the cinema, but is bloody tasty!

CharlotteBronteSaurus Thu 07-Feb-13 22:18:32

thnaks mrsb!

MrsBertMacklin Thu 07-Feb-13 22:15:44

I use the method here for making toffee popcorn and it's never failed me. Worth reading the blurb at the top about viscosity. I've experimented with honey and maple syrup in place of golden syrup but as advised, you have to play with the ratios a bit.

CharlotteBronteSaurus Thu 07-Feb-13 22:07:05

no idea, but would quite like you share the secret of homemade toffee popcorn while we all wait for someone more knowledgeable to turn up

lookingforbaubles Thu 07-Feb-13 22:04:51

oh yes id love to know as well, i do buy the bags to go in the microwave but they dont feed very many teenagers!

MrsBertMacklin Thu 07-Feb-13 22:00:36

How do you make cinema style sweet popcorn at home?

I know how to make toffee popcorn. Not what I'm after.

Sprinkling sugar on freshly popped corn doesn't work; I just get sugared popcorn (and most of the sugar falling to the bottom of the bowl). I've tried it with caster sugar and icing sugar.

Does anyone know?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now