Good but substantial snacks for children

(15 Posts)
BuiltForComfort Thu 07-Feb-13 13:41:48

Trying to shift DS's evening meal back by an hour, but he's starving after school. A biscuit or piece of fruit is enough to keep him going until an early tea, but won't cut it for another hour's wait.

What sort of snacks do you give your dc? Anything really creative (but quick to prepare)? He doesn't like sandwiches which is a massive pain. Would be best to get something into him straight away or something small for the walk home and then something he can eat off a plate for as soon as we get home (only 10 mins walk but seems like a lifetime if he is hungry and grumpy!).

I don't like sandwiches either. I like things on toast though: I like sardines on toast, tomatotes on toast, mushrooms on toast, cheese on toast, creamed crab on toast.

gingerpinz Thu 07-Feb-13 14:04:37

Homemade muffins, boiled eggs, oatcakes & cheese/peanut butter etc., mini sausages, pitta & houmous, cup of homemade soup, Greek yogurt & fruit, a smoothie...

Harrysmummysarah1 Thu 07-Feb-13 19:21:55

Raw veggies and hummus (carrots, cucumber , cherry tomatoes etc)
A cereal bar (nutrition grain bar etc)
Yoghurt and a piece of fruit
Hot cross bun
Cheese on crackers

DancingInTheMoonlight Thu 07-Feb-13 20:52:20

Crackers with peanut butter or cheese, red onion, spinach and sweetcorn muffin :-)

ihatethecold Thu 07-Feb-13 20:57:50

Crumpets

TheMightyLois Thu 07-Feb-13 21:00:47

I'd stick with the biscuit or piece of fruit, but add a lump of cheese, or something like cold meat from dinner the night before.

Bowl of cereal?

I'd give him more for lunch as well, that might help shift things back a bit.

Cereal,
Soreen loaf,
Crackers and philly,
Cubes of cheese,
Fruit,
Veg sticks and dip,
Yoghurt,

BuiltForComfort Thu 07-Feb-13 22:33:51

Thanks for all the ideas, I will try lots of these though it has made me realise how fussy he is as there's plenty he wouldn't like there too! He has school lunches and must sometimes be really hungry as he might end up having just rice and then fruit if he doesn't like the meat element or the pudding.

CarlingBlackMabel Thu 07-Feb-13 22:48:34

A cold sausage
A scotch egg
cereal bar
half an avocado
chunks of cheese on a stick
Cheese straws
sausage roll
flapjack
houmous and breadsticks
slice of quiche
slice of leftover cold pizza
bowl of cereal

Ponders Thu 07-Feb-13 22:51:08

peanut butter sandwich on wholemeal plus glass of milk should last any human for hours grin

(though possibly a bit boring after a month or two)

TheMightyLois Thu 07-Feb-13 23:43:51

If he doesn't like the school dinners might it be better to send a packed lunch? Surely better than him being hungry all afternoon

dreamingofsun Fri 08-Feb-13 10:49:25

soup. you can very the flavours so it doesn't get too borning. plus a good way of getting veg into them. we often have a jug in the fridge and kids can help themselves

BuiltForComfort Fri 08-Feb-13 13:57:20

he likes most of the school dinners, just the odd one he's not keen on. and amazingly he does try everything there and says he likes some stuff that he turns his nose up at at home. I would say that about 1/3 of the ideas above I think he will like, the rest probably not. I was VERY fussy as a child so I try not to get too irritated but when he turns his nose up at sandwiches, chunks of cheese, Philadelphia, quiche, even breadsticks, Nutella, and oat/ cereal bars it gets a bit tricky. I guess I can just give him his favourite snack of cucumber, apple, grapes, hummus and pitta bread every afternoon until he is sick of it! A bowl of cereal is probably the other sure-fire winner. Lots of ideas though and I will try and introduce them by stealth over the coming weeks ...

BeaWheesht Fri 08-Feb-13 14:07:50

Going through the same with ds just now who's 6

He has

Peppers, lettuce, tomatoes
Cheese and crackers
Yogurt
Rice cakes - he likes them with nothing on which is a bit odd
Sausages - cold
Boiled egg - wont usually deign to eat this though
Cereal bars
Cereal without milk
Pancakes
English muffins
Crumpets

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now