What do your kids like to cook?

(13 Posts)
penandspoon Wed 06-Feb-13 11:15:13

I'd love to get some ideas about what your kids like to cook? Do they only like baking and cake decorating? Or are there little Masterchefs out there who like to make savoury stuff? What do you do to make cooking fun for them? Would love your tips!

SpringBulbs Wed 06-Feb-13 12:28:20

DS3 is 6 and likes making pizza. If we don't have a lot of time we use wholemeal pittas as the base and he then tops with tomato puree, feta cheese, ham and pineapple making a face with the ingredients. If we have longer we make the pizza dough ourselves.

He likes helping out and often breaks eggs for me or measures out and adds liquids and does lots of mixing.

He attended a cookery class at The Cookery School at Little Portland St when he was five and really enjoyed it as it was very hands on and I think that made him realise that the kitchen isn't just mummy's domain.

penandspoon Wed 06-Feb-13 22:01:18

Thanks for that. I think anything that involves getting mucky is good smile

pixi2 Wed 06-Feb-13 22:06:17

Pizza, bread, crumble topping, cakes, pancakes, scones, biscuits and they like having a go with the peeler at mealtimes.

Never let them help with pies. The pastry (ready made) was unusable afterwards.

They are only 3 and almost 2.

pixi2 Wed 06-Feb-13 22:07:48

Actually, I take pizza back. We haven't had it since ds refused to eat it in sept.

Cakes! our 3 year olds love to make all kinds of cakes! Shortbread and welsh cakes are a favourite too. They also like washing up!

greencolorpack Wed 06-Feb-13 22:12:39

My dd aged 10 makes garlic and walnut chicken from a gluten free recipe book. She makes the whole meal and also does potatoes and peas with it. My ds aged 12 makes spam fritters and oven chips.

My dn aged 12 likes to bake, we buy a tin of condensed milk and follow the recipe on it for millionaires shortbread. Very tasty.

penandspoon Wed 06-Feb-13 22:22:14

That's impressive. How does 10 year old do her potatoes?

greencolorpack Wed 06-Feb-13 23:10:22

She peels them and boils them, drains and serves.

My children prefer making Bircher Brenner potatoes cos they are easy ( bit like baked potatoes).

Cantbelieveitsnotbutter Wed 06-Feb-13 23:22:46

mostly anything involving a masher or rolling pin!
We have the usborne cooking books they are fab.

rockinhippy Thu 07-Feb-13 00:51:06

My DD loves making cakes, biscuits, pizzas, croc pot broths, toasted sandwiches & more recently stir fry noodles or rice dishes - cooked on a flat griddle as its easier for her to handle/ see what she's doing, so safer for her to cook herself, she also makes & cooks griddle scones on this too- shes 10

Lookslikerain Thu 07-Feb-13 05:35:17

DS is 3. He loves making pancakes, biscuits, savoury muffins, scones, fairy cakes. Really anything sweet (except the savoury muffins though these have broccoli in so that's ok in his book hmm).

How old are your DC? My DS likes to help weighing things out, then putting into the bowl, mixing and putting into paper cases/cutting out biscuits etc. He never seems that fond of the tidying up bit... I find things that aren't too complicated and don't have too many steps are best or he loses interest. I'm hoping to expand his repertoire as he gets older so that I can (hopefully) send him into the world able to feed himself.

penandspoon Thu 07-Feb-13 12:36:03

My kids are 11 and 8 and are really keen cooks. My son (8) loves making pizza dough from scratch. We do a neat trick with leftover dough by rolling out tiny circles, popping a square of chocolate in the middle, and wrapping the dough around it to form a dough ball. Bake for 12 minutes or so. Instant pudding.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now