Whats your toddlers favourite meal?

(30 Posts)
DeathMetalMum Mon 04-Feb-13 17:14:34

I'm getting bored/need some meal inspiration for me and dd. Though we could share some meal ideas that our toddlers like.

My dd's favourites are Sweet and sour, chilli con carne, mac and cheese with brocolli mashed in and of course anything with pesto.

Lookslikerain Tue 05-Feb-13 22:06:04

Favourites here are:
- pasta in pretty much any form
- egg fried rice
- roast chicken
- cottage pie
- cheese on toast for dunking into soup

As far as veg goes, really only peas, sweetcorn and brocolli.

BikeRunSki Tue 05-Feb-13 21:50:50

Sausage, Yorkshire pud (frozen!), peas and carrots.

JoandMax Tue 05-Feb-13 18:43:38

Fish pie, cottage pie, fish fingers, chips, eggs, beans, fish cakes, sausages and mash, flat breads woth houmous and grilled meat, any fruit but no veg (it's hidden in anything possible!)

DS1 hates rice and DS2 hates pasta which limits things....

whyno Tue 05-Feb-13 18:36:28

Popular choices are: Sausages, salmon with pesto, marmite sandwiches, couscous, scrambled eggs.

Not too good with veg, adores fruit and won't eat chicken and beef which I think is a texture thing as he usually has what we've eaten the day before reheated so perhaps a bit dry?

Any thing with cheese!

Egg (in any form) with cheese
Ravioli and cheese
Pasta Bolognese with cheese

He goes through stages. Hes currently obsessed with pizza and garlic bread.

Get a rice cooker. You can get them really cheaply (from about £15) and you'll never cook bad rice again! You can put it on and leave it to do its thing, and it keeps the cooked rice warm when it's done.

Pascha Mon 04-Feb-13 20:02:50

Hmm. He would say cakey. Chicken & veg risotto usually goes down well though.

DeathMetalMum Mon 04-Feb-13 20:00:45

Thanks there are some great ideas will look up the hfw recipie sounds like what we would like.

I think I am going to have to try risotto I am not great at cooking rice but dd does love it.

We do give her what we eat. Lunchtime is our 'main meal' atm when we eat with dp as he works evenings. So for dinner I try to tailor more to what I know she will eat as it makes my life a little easier.

American style pancakes with maple syrup, bacon and scrambled eggs too.

DS2 is fairly unfussy as small people go. He loves:

Giant cous cous with roast veg (and lamb/lamb meatballs/etc if that's coming with it)
Pasta with chorizo
Pasta with most other sauces, especially if it involves meatballs
Lasagne
Burgers with chips (particularly sweet potato chips)
Teryaki chicken with sticky rice
Chicken and egg donburi
Actually, anything with sticky rice
Risotto
Most other rice dishes
Noodle dishes of most descriptions
Cottage/shepherd's pie
Beans on toast
Bread with Nutella on it
Yorkshire pudding
Sausages (on their own, in stew or in toad in the hole)
Sweetcorn (hot, cold, on or off the cob, in literally anything)
Cured meats / cold meats / cheese / bread / strips of pepper

He eats anything they serve him at nursery too. Usually seconds of it too. He's fussier at home.

redwellybluewelly Mon 04-Feb-13 19:41:42

Oh and jacket spuds and beans and will climb mountains to get mashed spuds or swede and carrot!

redwellybluewelly Mon 04-Feb-13 19:40:42

We discovered dd's utterly favourite meal by accident. Its north African stew by HFW, she pulls it out of the freezer when asked what she wants.

Peas and sweetcorn
Anything with mccains smiles

Fishfingers, beans or peas or corn and smiles
Battered haddock fillets, beans or peas or corn and smiles
Fries (waitrose essentials low in salt)
Sausages, eggs and beans and smiles
Omelette
Tin of tuna
Pasta
Spag bol/stew/curry with any meat
Frankfurters
Soup and toast
Ham sandwich
Honey sandwich
Jam sandwich

She can't have dairy or soya so diet a bit limited. Usually she eats with us if we can eat early but iften she eats when home from nursery and I save a portion of what we eat later.

Fussy she is not but it took ages for her to wean, and if she really hates something or isnt hungry I dont force the issue.

BikeRunSki Mon 04-Feb-13 19:31:10

My 4 and 1 yo are pretty much guaranteed to eat curly pasta, meatballs and red sauce (home made tomato sauce with a sweet potato in) and raining (grated) cheese.

Risotto is a fave here for my four year old- cheesy creamy, and full of hidden veggrin
minestrone goes down well, and chicken soup is eaten, which is a rave review as far as I am concernedwink

The little one (2) likes tomato soup. That's all she likes at the minutesad

I offer them both everything though, never cater to them as it were, they just get what I'm making.

WafflesandWhippedCream Mon 04-Feb-13 19:09:40

Mine hoovers up spaghetti, risotto, omlettes, anything with mashed potato, mini pork and dill meatballs, pancakes, gnocchi baked with tuna, tomatoes, cream and cheese, courgette and feta fritters. And vegetable soup, but unfortunately DD1 hates soup, so don't have that very often.

MrsGubbins Mon 04-Feb-13 18:59:56

Duck errr ..... no, risotto always goes down a storm and right now she likes the cheesy pea one ta

nextphase Mon 04-Feb-13 18:31:40

Lasagne, mac cheese, sausages, wraps, fish pie, chicken drumsticks (anything with the bone in to chew on - spare ribs the other day), pasta and prawns, noodles.

Like JollyRedGiant, potatoes and onions are out for DS1. DS2 is pretty much at the stage of eating anything still.

Oh, and boiled eggs!

LapinDeBois Mon 04-Feb-13 18:25:14

I've just made big baguette sandwiches (smoked mackerel, mayo, tomatoes and cucumber) and they've gone down a storm.
Oh, and anything with gravy.
Though what he still talks about is the day he was allowed crumble AND ice cream AND jelly for pudding grin.

Spag Bol
Chilli con Carne
Soup
Sausages

JollyRedGiant Mon 04-Feb-13 18:19:51

Pancakes
Fish fingers
Mac and cheese
Lamb or chicken Curry
Risotto
Anything involving cous cous
Anything involving sausages
Anything involving pastry

Potatoes, onions and vegetables of any sort are out. He will very occasionally eat sweetcorn or carrot though.

getoffthecoffeetable Mon 04-Feb-13 18:15:42

Toad in the hole with sweet potato and cheese mash
Cheese risotto
Spaghetti Bol
Meatballs
Fishcakesi
Anything with pasta
anything he spies from my plate

Tuna pasta with peas and creme fraiche

DuckMeInTheGrass Mon 04-Feb-13 18:06:50

Pea and mint risotto with brie?

You having a laugh?!

snickers251 Mon 04-Feb-13 18:05:37

The only meal he will eat is spag Bol .... Seriously that's it hmm

blondieminx Mon 04-Feb-13 17:51:34

DD loves

*pasta bolognaise and garlic bread
*A lion egg (poached egg with "mane" of soldiers!)
*sausage casserole
*roast chicken dinner
*naan bread and mild curry
*scrambled eggs

She won't eat lumps of proper meat though so stews and roasts other than chicken do not go down well with her!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now