Can you freeze braised red cabbage?

(11 Posts)
MumOfTheMoos Mon 04-Feb-13 11:20:15

I made FAR too much braised red cabbage (a slightly amended nigella Viennese cabbage with sour cream in it) for Sunday lunch yesterday.

My 10mth old DS loves it but it will take him about 2 weeks to get through it even if he has it twice a day - so, can I freeze it? As lots of DS sized portions in the freezer would be fab. What does anyone think?

KandyBarr Mon 04-Feb-13 11:25:03

I braise it with cider and apples, then freeze it - it's fine, and lovely with sausage and mash

Poledra Mon 04-Feb-13 11:28:51

You can but it'll still taste like red cabbage..... envy

<not a fan>

Poledra Mon 04-Feb-13 11:29:19

That should also have a grin face on it - sorry!

magimedi Mon 04-Feb-13 16:45:26

Yes - always make loads more than needed & freeze.

ouryve Mon 04-Feb-13 16:46:32

Yes. You get so much out of one cabbage - and it's always improved by freezing, IMO.

upinthehills Mon 04-Feb-13 16:48:01

Totally yes - this is how i always cook it - do a big casserole once in a while and freeze in 2 person portions. I do cabbage + apple + brown sugar + malt vinegar (lots) + lemon - is delish!

puddock Mon 04-Feb-13 16:49:03

Yes I freeze my standard rotkohl (braised with apples and onion), it is absolutely fine - and the only practical thing to do since you tend to make a whole cabbage's worth! I'd be a bit more hesitant about whether something with cream in would freeze okay though...

MumOfTheMoos Mon 04-Feb-13 21:02:28

Thanks everybody - DS size portions now in the freezer plus neither Sunday lunch for just us sized portion.

I know hat you mean about the cream but I've rationalised it as I've frozen a peppered steak casserole with cream in it before and I defrosted lovely!

Thank you grin

CuriousMama Mon 04-Feb-13 21:04:05

I wouldn't have thought so with the soured cream in?

MoreBeta Mon 04-Feb-13 21:09:31

Yes and it actually matures and is even better once freezed and then thawed.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now