Millionaire's shortbread - tried and tested recipe

(9 Posts)

Have promised to make some for a get-together with friends.... am a capable baker ,but have never made this and have heard some people say it can go wrong quite easily. was looking at this recipe from bbcgoodfood - anyone got a better one? Or pitfalls to avoid?

I know, I know, very trivial in the grand scheme of things but won't have much time to make it so need to get it right first time, and would like it to be "naice" !

SissySpacekAteMyHamster Mon 28-Jan-13 12:25:31

I think that looks pretty straightforward, and I would even try it myself! I think the main pitfall would be burning your caramel, so just keep an eye on that, otherwise it all seems quite easy.

Please report back and let us know how it went.

thanks Sissy, yes, was thinking burning the caramel would be a likely "point of failure". As you say - recipe seems so straightforward, can't understand why I've heard that it can go wrong so easily (which is partly why I've never made it before, although I love eating it!)

CharlotteBronteSaurus Mon 28-Jan-13 12:38:03

i make the caramel in the microwave, which seems to reduce the risk of burning.

SorrelForbes Mon 28-Jan-13 13:24:36

This is the recipe I use (Allrecipes.com). It hasn't failed me yet!

INGREDIENTS

Shortbread:
150g (5 oz) butter, softened
4 tablespoons caster sugar
150g (5 oz) plain flour
Caramel:
125g (4 1/4 oz) butter
100g (3 3/4 oz) light brown sugar
2 tablespoons golden syrup
120ml (4 fl oz) condensed sweetened milk
Chocolate topping:
350g (12 oz) plain chocolate, chopped
SUMMARY

"These caramel squares are super-easy to make and they take only 20 minutes to bake."

Ready in 1 hr, Servings: 40

DIRECTIONS

Preheat the oven to 180 C / Gas mark 4.
In a medium bowl, mix together 150g butter, caster sugar and flour until evenly crumbly. Press into a 23cm (9 in) square baking tin. Bake for 20 minutes.
In a 2 litre saucepan, combine 125g butter, brown sugar, golden syrup and sweetened condensed milk. Bring to the boil, stirring constantly. Continue to boil for 5 minutes. Remove from heat and beat vigorously with a wooden spoon for about 3 minutes. Pour over baked crust (warm or cool). Chill until it begins to firm.
Place chocolate in a microwave-safe bowl. Heat for 1 minute, then stir and continue to heat and stir at 20 second intervals until chocolate is melted and smooth. Pour chocolate over the set caramel layer and spread evenly to cover completely. Chill. Cut into 2 to 3cm squares. These need to be small because they are so rich!

great, many thanks.... will let you know how I get on (not needed til next week)

Catrin Mon 28-Jan-13 22:48:39

Simon Rimmer's one on the BBC website is fab. Have managed to burn the caramel a bit, but used it anyway and it did not notice.

thanks Catrin. Spoilt for choice now!

Cakebitch Wed 30-Jan-13 22:03:25

Put caramel ingredients in the microwave, 10 minutes on defrost, take out, stir. Put back, then repeat until its a lovely browny colour. It will thicken and go a bit wobbly. Blend with a hand blender to smooth it, then pour over your baked shortbread and let it set before you spread your chocolate on it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now