Alternative to mash to put on top of cottage pie?

(9 Posts)
HiccupHaddockHorrendous Wed 23-Jan-13 13:51:13

I've run out of potatoes and am looking for an alternative topping for my cottage pie.

I do have carrots, BNS, bread (brown and white), rice and lots of other random things.

Any suggestions?

Seeline Wed 23-Jan-13 13:54:18

You could do a savoury crumble topping - usual flour/fat mix rubbed together then add seasoning and a good handful or two of cheese. Just lightly mix this in and sprinkle on top. When it's cooked the top goes crunchy and chewy.

Jins Wed 23-Jan-13 13:54:18

Mashed cauliflower is lovely. Nicer than potato I think

Theas18 Wed 23-Jan-13 13:55:21

cobbler topping? ie savoury scone dough cut in rounds and prettily arranged?

Thumbwitch Wed 23-Jan-13 14:03:42

What's BNS?

Does it need a topping? You could just grate cheese over it?

I make mash from sundry other veg, mostly swede, butternut squash, carrots can be mixed in too (but aren't that great on their own), sweet potato etc.

HiccupHaddockHorrendous Wed 23-Jan-13 14:13:28

Ooh, lots of suggestions, thanks!

BNS = butternut squash (sorry, lazy typing grin).

So butternut squash and carrot mashed together might work. I don't have any other mashable veg.

I like the sound of a crumble topping too and will also google savoury scone recipe, thanks.

Thumb - not sure if I could the mince on its own...would just be too odd grin.

Thumbwitch Wed 23-Jan-13 23:21:48

Hope it was lovely, Hiccup - my mum often used to do a mince dish that was like cottage pie but without a topping - she named it "modge". It was lovely, actually - mince and veggies as normal but also with a tin of Campbell's veg soup included. Mind you, we'd have had it with boiled potatoes, normally!
We have "mince thing" with pasta - similar to modge but without the veg soup. smile

HiccupHaddockHorrendous Thu 24-Jan-13 09:51:30

Sorry, I didn't mean for my comment to sound as rude as it did blush.

I ended up putting a crumble topping on it and it was ok. I put too much on and it was a bit dough-y but edible so that's fine grin

Thumbwitch Thu 24-Jan-13 11:15:35

Oh that's ok - I do cook some "odd" food at times! grin
Glad you sorted it anyway. smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now