NNote: This topic allows you to post a picture with your message using the Browse button under the Add Message box. You can only post one pic per message - and it will always appear above the text of your message, whichever order you browse/type in. If your pic doesn't load, try making it smaller (50KB max). We're afraid that you can't post up pictures if you're using the MN Talk App. And if you're not running IOS6 on your iPad or iPhone, you won't be able to browse for images on your Apple device.

Can anyone recommend a Japanese cookbook?

(7 Posts)

I'm after a japanese cookbook that isn't the sushi/sashimi/make rolls type, rather full of japanese curries, noodle and rice dishes.

Does anyone have recommendations?

Thanks.

UptoapointLordCopper Tue 22-Jan-13 19:18:40

I have Everyday Harumi. We use it very often, if not everyday. smile It's one of my favourite cookbooks.

Not Japanese curry though - Madhur Jaffrey has researched and gave a recipe for it, but normal people just go and buy the ready-made cubes.

cakeandcava Tue 22-Jan-13 21:17:21

I was going to recommend Everyday Harumi as well -Uptoapoint beat me to it smile

It's very good for various Japanese dishes that aren't sushi -you'll need to find bonito flakes and kombu to make dashi for a lot of the dishes (you could buy instant dashi too) -you should be able to find it in health food stores. The rest of the ingredients in the book tend to be easily found in supermarkets.

Great, thank you, i'll check it out. I may have bonito flakes in the cupboard about ooooo 4yrs old, yet to get around to using them!

KerryKetosis Wed 23-Jan-13 03:19:29

It's probably not authentic or whatever, but the wagamama cookbook is full of noodles, rice and curry dishes and really nice!

I have the wagamama book too kerry I agree it might seem a bit mainstream but the recipes are brilliant, it also tells you how to home make a lot of the sauces and bases for the different dishes.

Thanks i'll have a look at that too.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now