baking powder and baking soda - what's the difference?

(7 Posts)
mckenzie Tue 15-Jan-13 22:05:22

I've just downloaded a recipe to make some banana oat muffins and it's from an American website and says to use 2 tsp baking powder and 1 tsp baking soda. I thought they were the same thing blush
Are they not?

chocoluvva Wed 16-Jan-13 00:22:24

Baking soda is bicarbonate of soda which won't on its own help your baking to rise.

Baking powder is bicarbonate of soda + cream of tartar and is used as a raising agent.

Self-raising flour would probably do if you don't have B.P.

mckenzie Wed 16-Jan-13 08:30:03

Thanks very much choc

CaseyShraeger Wed 16-Jan-13 08:36:27

You can use baking soda on its own if your mixture is quite acidic -- so if your mixture contains a fair bit of (for example) yogurt, chocolate, buttermilk or honey you often won't need baking powder and can just use baking soda. But (unless you're making things up from scratch) that will be stated in the recipe.

mckenzie Wed 16-Jan-13 08:47:29

It's banana oat muffins. The recipe asks for all purpose flour bt maybe that's an American thing. I have baking powder but no baking soda although I do have bicarbonate of soda so will I use that instead f the baking soda?

AppleOgies Wed 16-Jan-13 08:52:08

Americans call bicarbonate of soda - baking soda, they are one and the same thing.

mckenzie Wed 16-Jan-13 09:12:34

Thank you Apples grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now