Can I make lemon drizzle cake without almonds?

(16 Posts)

Hate them!

bruffin Sat 12-Jan-13 19:09:35

Replace the ground almonds with semolina

You could probably just replace them with the same weight in flour. Is it only 50g anyway?

Yes, it is a small amount but making it for the first time so don't want to spend money on ingredients that will linger in the cupboard!

Purpleprickles Sat 12-Jan-13 19:14:17

I've never made one with almonds! Do you want me to find my recipe?

IamtheZombie Sat 12-Jan-13 19:15:29

DZoH won't eat nuts of any type in any form. He makes the World's Best Lemon Drizzle Cake using just flour.

Oh, and butter, eggs and lemon of course.

grin

RustyBear Sat 12-Jan-13 19:18:15

Marslady's lemon drizzle cake - the Mumsnet classic, and not an almond in sight...

Yes please purple. Just got the recipe from bbc good food but happy to look at others.

Thanks rusty!

The good food one that is made in a round tin (as oppsed to a loaf tin) is really really nice. I was going to recommend it but when I checked it had 50g almonds too.

ILoveOnionRings Sat 12-Jan-13 19:23:59

This Mary Berrys recipe

uktv.co.uk/food/recipe/aid/53423277

ILoveOnionRings Sat 12-Jan-13 19:25:27
FiveGoMadInDorset Sat 12-Jan-13 19:26:30

I have never made Lemon drizzle with almonds.

BananaPie Sat 12-Jan-13 19:28:11

Lemon Drizzle cake

Cake:

4oz soft margarine
6oz SR flour
1 level tsp baking powder
6oz caster sugar
2 eggs
3 tbsps milk
grated rind of one lemon, the yellow only

Combine all ingredients and put in lined 8" tin

50 – 60 minutes
180°

Topping

4oz caster sugar
juice of one lemon

Pour topping over hot cake and leave to cool.

Pancakeflipper Sat 12-Jan-13 19:29:37

Do Mary Berrys recipe that Iloveonionrungs points to.
I love Mary's cakes. The lemon drizzle is yummy.

Purpleprickles Sat 12-Jan-13 19:33:24

250g unsalted butter, 200g caster sugar, 2 teaspoons finely grated lemon zest, 4 eggs, 250g self raising flour, 1 tsp baking powder, 2 tablespoons lemon juice. This fills an 8.5" tin. Preheat oven to gas 3/170c

Cream butter and sugar then add lemon zest and eggs. Fold in flour and baking powder, then lemon juice. Mix and then put in tin, bake for 1hr 20mins.

This recipe has a crunchy rather than drizzle topping but it's delicious. Mix up 110g sugar and 3 tablespoons lemon juice. Brush over the top of the warm cake, the juice sinks in and the sugar forms the top crunch.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now