I just made amazing rice in the microwave. What other easy brilliant cooking things can I do?

(45 Posts)
everybodysang Wed 02-Jan-13 21:39:37

I am rubbish at making rice. I always burn it or it just doesn't turn out right. DH, however, is brilliant at it, so he always does it.

However, he's away tonight and I fancied rice. So I decided to look online and see if you can microwave it. Which you can. And it was gorgeous - fluffy and perfect. Here is the recipe (this serves 4):

250g basmati rice
600ml boiling water

1. Put Basmati rice in a large heatproof serving dish with boiling water (I put a chicken stock cube in the water as DH uses stock. He also uses turmeric but I didn't do that, I will next time).
2. Cover with cling film and pierce several times. Cook on high (900W) for 6 minutes, then medium (500W) for 8 minutes.
3. Leave for a few minutes to stand, then remove the cling film to serve.

It was really, really good.

So, what cooking tricks do you know?

Gillyweed001 Wed 02-Jan-13 21:59:06

Cake in a microwave!!

www.mumsnet.com/Recipes/i/1778-All-in-one-microwave-chocolate-cake

headfairy Wed 02-Jan-13 22:02:34

Ooh, you should have out this somewhere it wasn't going to go poufff in 90 days. I like the sound of that rice recipe!

everybodysang Wed 02-Jan-13 23:05:41

Ooh. Where do you think it should be? I only ever really go to chat and AIBU. I could ask for it to be moved if there's a better place for it?

It really was amazing, try it!

everybodysang Wed 02-Jan-13 23:06:34

I've got everything I need to make that cake. I might just have to try that...

LakeFlyPie Wed 02-Jan-13 23:10:15

Bechamel sauce in microwave, can't believe I've been vigorously stirring pans all these years.
Bung butter, flour and milk in microwave jug / bowl. I whack it on high and whisk every couple of mins until done = lump free sauce and no pan to clean smile

HappyTurquoise Wed 02-Jan-13 23:19:26

Mix leftover Christmas pudding into melted chocolate to make a great tiffin.

Manda472 Wed 02-Jan-13 23:23:34

Does it have to be basmati rice or will any do? Will be definately doing the rice and the cake, so thank you

everybodysang Wed 02-Jan-13 23:30:33

Manda it was basmati rice in the recipe but I don't see why you couldn't try any rice?

everybodysang Wed 02-Jan-13 23:31:18

oh by the way, I made it in a little pyrex bowl.

juniperdewdrop Wed 02-Jan-13 23:34:38

I make ds1 the micro sponge with jam. mix 50g sugar with 50g butter (cream it) slowly add 2 tbspns milk mixed with 1 egg. Then fold in 50g SR flour. I give it a good stir but says you should mix slow. Put 2 tbspns jam or syrup in the bottom of micro bowl, pour on mixture. Microwave 3 to 4 mins depending on oven. It'll be springy on top. He loves it. Serve with custard or whatever.

TinyDiamond Wed 02-Jan-13 23:35:28

marking place to try soon, also crap at cooking rice

juniperdewdrop Wed 02-Jan-13 23:40:07

OP I've asked Mumsnet to put this thread in Food then it won't go away.

maxmillie Wed 02-Jan-13 23:42:32

also marking place! what do you mean micro bowl for the sponge? will any old bowl do?

Great thread! Microwave rice sounds fab!

juniperdewdrop Wed 02-Jan-13 23:48:28

Just mean microwave proof, pyrex or something.

everybodysang Thu 03-Jan-13 00:06:10

thanks juniper, excited to be venturing into new parts of MN! So, rice and cake so far. Anything else?

EIizaDay Thu 03-Jan-13 00:10:29

I always start baked potatoes in the micro but it's important to prick them and wrap each one in a square of kitchen roll. Usually takes about 6 -10 minutes depending on how many are going in and by that time the oven has heated up.

Pop them in the oven to crisp up the skins.

juniperdewdrop Thu 03-Jan-13 00:51:20

everybodysang I think you must have to report it yourself? Just click on report and in the message bit write 'Can you put my thread in Food topic please'.

Billybubbles Thu 03-Jan-13 01:01:26

I do this too with the potatoes Eliza but I just pierce them allover and microwave for 5 to 10 minutes depending on size.Then straight into a hot oven for about 10 to 15 mins to crisp the skins. Is the kitchen paper to prevent them spitting all over the microave?

garlicbaubles Thu 03-Jan-13 01:06:57

Popcorn! For best results you need a paper bag that stands up - lunch bags or prescription bags are good - but you can also do it in a glass or ceramic dish with a plate on top. Sprinkle a small handful of popping corn in the bottom. Fold the top of the bag over twice. Nuke until the pops slow to more than 2 seconds apart - takes one and a half minutes in my machine.

Do not be a smartarse and try adding sugar before cooking. I nearly melted the inside of my microwave shock

JustAHolyFool Thu 03-Jan-13 01:08:50

Poaching eggs in clingfilm.

Crack the egg into clingfilm, tie a knot in it and then put in boiling water.

I've never mastered poached eggs and now I can eat them whenever. Yay.

garlicbaubles Thu 03-Jan-13 01:10:12

Oooh, and meringues! Use one egg white. Mash icing sugar into it with your hands until it reaches a play-doh consistency. Roll it into a sausage, cut slices about half a centimetre thick, microwave them on a plate for 30 secs. If they haven't turned into meringues yet, give them another 30. Works with added flavours & colours.

Needathickerskin Thu 03-Jan-13 01:10:28

Woooah, have you all missed lakeflypie 's post?
Bechemal sauce in the microwave???
No constant stirring ??
Really?!
shock

garlicbaubles Thu 03-Jan-13 01:10:57

Holy, that is GENIUS!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now