Good cook but novice baker - 'bake off' tomorrow - HELP!

(8 Posts)
escape Mon 31-Dec-12 08:43:04

Hi there,
What a palaver - basically, I never bake, so have no fool proof recipes or favourites.
Tomorrow is the annual 'do' at my Husbands cousins ( a story in itself ) where since said cousin took up baking a s a hobby a couple of years ago - expects everyone to turn up with an 'entry' for 'bake off' type competition.
I have nothing in, not really any implements, and not really any time.
Does anyone have any simple yet effective recipes for me to try?
If I am going to do anything, I need to make a 'proper' attempt..
It's all a bit odd as they take it all very seriously..
All answers greatly appreciated!

BellaVita Mon 31-Dec-12 08:49:23

these - Mary Berry Brownies

I have been making them forever. Easiest foolproof recipe going. Chuck everything in the bowl apart from the chocolate chips, mix, add the chocolate chips and pour into your prepared tin.

I get asked to make these all the time.

BellaVita Mon 31-Dec-12 08:54:06

Mary Berry's Lemon Drizzle Cake

This is so light and moreish. Another foolproof recipe.

waitingtobeamummy Mon 31-Dec-12 09:12:02

I was going to say lemon drizzle. It's light and lovely but nice and classy too.

bakingaddict Mon 31-Dec-12 09:18:10

Flapjacks are dead easy...just melt butter and golden syrup in a pan and stir in porridge oats. Once the oats are all coated put into a tin, flatten and bake in the oven for 14mins. You can jazz them up with dried fruit like apricots, cherries or chocolate chips etc

You could also make some coconut ice this again is simple just dessicated coconut and condensed milk then you chill it for 24hrs. Make one layer white then tint one pink, food coloring is less than £1 in supermarkets, once it's out of the fridge cut into squares and put into a jar with some tags and pretty ribbon around it.

MirandaWest Mon 31-Dec-12 09:19:38

What's your DH baking?

Moominsarehippos Mon 31-Dec-12 09:25:48

Check BBC good food site for Orange Polenta Cake.

escape Mon 31-Dec-12 10:20:10

Thanks SO MUCH guys - MirandaWest - I get your point entirely, but that'll be a big fat NOTHING smile Actually wouldn't go, but kids want to..
Best get cracking..

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now