Smoked Gammon Roasting Joint & a slow cooker

(38 Posts)

What can I do with it? I want to cook in my new slow cooker but have no idea what to put with the gammon joint. So recipes/ideas appreciated.

TIA

OnceUponAThyme Sun 06-Jan-13 12:16:25

marking place to try smile

Peacocklady Sun 24-Mar-13 08:57:57

Hi I've read this and roasted a gammon over night, so far so good , I've poured all the liquid from the meat and sugar into saucepan and was wondering if there was a sauce I could make from it to go with it? Or would it be too salty? Any ideas appreciated!

Harryhat1 Mon 18-Nov-13 11:20:56

Is this on high or low

pammyj74 Tue 24-Dec-13 22:38:18

I am going to do gammon tomorrow for our xmas tea. I read a tip that you could soak the gammon overnight so it isnt too salty. I am doing mine in apple juice, covering half of it and then half way through will turn it over. I might then add cornflour to the juice to make an apple sauce. Has anyone else any ideas to add? I am then going to add it to the oven for half an hour covered with a honey glaze, have never done it before this way, Im hoping the family will be impressed as I dont do proper cooking haha.

Gemizzel Sat 28-Dec-13 10:54:52

Marking place - the sugar recipe sounds lovely I'm going to have to give it a whirl! smile

DoesntLeftoverTurkeySoupDragOn Sat 28-Dec-13 10:59:47

I've done ham and sugar in the slow cooker and it was foul.

This Christmas I boiled a ham for a short while in water to remove the salt, drained and rinsed it and then boiled it in apple and pear juice with added cinnamon sticks and chunks of onion for a couple of hours (it was only 1.5kg). Then shoved it in the oven for about half an hour after basting it with honey/seasoning. It was delicious and not salty at all. I"ll be doing it this way again.

whattoWHO Sat 28-Dec-13 11:07:02

I did a 2.2kg joint for boxing day. Brown sugar on bottom of pot, shoved joint in with half a cup of water. Threw in a few peppercorns and cooked it on low for 8 hours.
It came out lovely but I'd skip the water next time and turn it over halfway so the glaze goes all over.

I've done the gammon in coke before which also works well.

Gemizzel Thu 02-Jan-14 12:54:51

well my gammon is in the slow cooker today! I wont lie, I am still a little apprehensive about it burning due to having no liquid in with it :/
someone please tell me my house wont burn down while I am at work
Hope it tastes as good as I am expecting!

rumtumtugger Fri 10-Jan-14 11:46:34

I want to know how the gammons went! I'm trying one in the slow cooker tomorrow and don't want it to be foul or overlooked or dry - any tips?

Gemizzel Fri 10-Jan-14 13:30:34

Rum it was far from dry.
I put the gammon joint on top of the sugar and when I got home from work the liquid was nearly to the top of the joint shock
it was lovely and tender and the coating was very sweet. it was so tender we couldn't cut it we had to shred it.

rumtumtugger Sun 12-Jan-14 13:50:13

Brilliant - just did the same with a 1.5kg joint, with about 400g of sugar, on for 10 hours - delicious! Thanks for the tip!

clarkeologist Wed 29-Jan-14 20:15:47

Does anyone know if I could make ham & pea soup afterwards if I do the ham in the slow cooker with sugar or will the leftover ham be too sweet for the soup??

creampie Mon 03-Feb-14 10:55:16

Do you think it would work if you didn't turn it over? Wondering if I could leave it on while at work bit there wouldn't be anyone to turn it

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now