basic bread recipe and basic cupcake recipe

(6 Posts)
frazzled74 Tue 11-Dec-12 10:48:02

thanks very much, off to do some baking.

TunipTheVegedude Tue 11-Dec-12 10:12:08

I do same as SavoyCabbage for the cakes - weigh the eggs then add the same amount of the other ingredients, plus a splash of milk and pinch of baking powder. I bake mine slightly lower, at 160, because they seem to end up looking less like volcanoes that way.

TunipTheVegedude Tue 11-Dec-12 10:10:31

500g strong white flour
1 tsp salt
1/2 to 1 tsp dried instant yeast
a glug of oil or knob of butter
320 ml water, not hotter than hand-hot

Knead everything together till the dough is elastic and silky than let rise, covered, till doubled in size. Knock the air out and shape then cover and let rise again. Bake at 200-ish till it sounds hollow when you knock it on the bottom.

The trick with bread is not to worry about exactly how long the rises take in terms of time, just wait until it's doubled in volume. If it's warm it will be faster, cold it will be slower. Similarly, with the wetness - if it's too wet knead in more flour, if it's too dry you can knead in more water (though that's harder than adding more flour).
I knead in the bread machine or food mixer because I'm too lazy to do it by hand.
If you use wholemeal flour you need about 30ml extra water.

SavoyCabbage Tue 11-Dec-12 10:01:49

If you weigh an egg (or two or three) then you can use the sad mount of butter, sugar and SR flour and a pinch of baking powder.

aimingtobeaperfectionist Tue 11-Dec-12 09:57:51

125g caster sugar
125g self raising flour
125g marg
2 eggs
Mix sugar and marg till white
Add one egg and half flour, add other egg and flour
Into bun cases 180* 20 mins
For buttercream I just add icing sugar to marg until texture is right.
Not sure about bread sorry

frazzled74 Tue 11-Dec-12 09:44:03

please can someone post me a simple bread recipe and a cupcake plus buttercream recipe ,that are easy and foolproof, please?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now