ZOMBIE THREAD ALERT: This thread hasn't been posted on for a while.

Anyone Cooking Capon for Christmas?

(5 Posts)
blue2 Thu 06-Dec-12 18:14:02

I've discovered that they are about half the price of turkeys from the local butcher - £5.95 per kg instead of £11.95. I thought I might give it a go (and maybe... just maybe not tell anyone what it is!)

Have you ever cooked it? Any thoughts please!

Florin Thu 06-Dec-12 18:25:10

Depends haven't eaten capon but we keep chickens and do eat the males however they are uncastrated. Depends how old they are, the males that were more than a few months old we only used for coq au vin as they aren't as tender however a capon should be more tender. I am surprised you found them its quite rare in UK. Also if i was to eat it I would liked to know how it is a capon some are castrated which is fine however some are given hormone implants which I wouldn't be happy eating.

MerryKissMyArse Thu 06-Dec-12 18:31:08

I am not even sure exactly what a capon is, and how it differs from a turkey or a chicken, but my GPs always bought a capon for Christmas when I was little and it tasted fine to me. I don't think I have seen or heard of them for thirty years though. confused

Caerlaverock Thu 06-Dec-12 18:33:46

I did one 2 years ago, just cook like a turkey. Worth it not to have a mountain or turkey carcass looking at you on boxing day

blue2 Thu 06-Dec-12 19:27:31

I have Googled Capon to discover that they are either castrated manually (ouch) or chemically castrated. The butcher says they're Free Range, so not sure what that means!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now