frugal paleo meals for large families

(11 Posts)
withaspongeandarustyspanner Tue 04-Dec-12 11:16:16

Recently, I started following a paleo inspired diet and I'm quite keen to feed my whole family this way (though DH is resistant, but will eat what I cook for his evening meal) as I think it has tremendous health benefits.

The problem with a true Paleo diet is that it can be expensive as you're supposed to eat grass fed meat, fish, organic fruit, vegetables and nuts. Because of this I've had to adapt what I do - I buy ordinary meat, fish, fruit vegetables and nuts as I just can't afford the more expensive versions as we are a family of six.

My main problem is school lunches. It's so hard to ome up with something that is grain free - sandwiches and pasta salads are so easy.

I was just wondering if any other families eat this way and what your lunchtime solutions are?

Thanks in advance.

Grumpla Tue 04-Dec-12 11:19:20

First, take your woolly mammoth...

withaspongeandarustyspanner Tue 04-Dec-12 11:20:39

It can be a bit hard to fit one of those in a lunch box,Grumpla grin

sommewhereelse Tue 04-Dec-12 11:24:33

Are eggs out? I was thinking of spanish omelette.

I personally would make an exception for school lunches, wouldn't it still be beneficial to restrict your evening meal.

I think it's unfair on kids not to have something filling that they fancy at lunchtimes.

Snowkey Tue 04-Dec-12 11:28:22

Faux lafel from "I breathe I'm hungry" blog, soups, frittata, muffins, stews, curries....depends how much work you can put in and how adventurous your dcs are.

withaspongeandarustyspanner Tue 04-Dec-12 11:37:19

No, eggs are in. I just forgot about them. And frittata is good for lunchboxes.

It is filling, sommewhereelse as it's protein and veg/fruit. The problems comes from the dips in blood sugar from carbohydrates from grains, sugar etc.

I'm not rigid with the children, though - eating like this 80% of the time is better, I believe, than not eating like it at all. Having said that, they hardly ever finish sandwiches in their school lunchboxes when they do have them.

They are pretty adventurous Snowkey, luckily. And I don't mind putting the effort in - it's just trying to get my head around being a bit more organised. I will check out the faux lafel recipe - thank you!

sommewhereelse Tue 04-Dec-12 11:47:43

Sorry, didn't mean to imply it wasn't filling. What I meant is that children need to be full up to face an afternoon of lessons, therefore they have to fancy it.

forevergreek Tue 04-Dec-12 18:33:19

Avocado
Chicken/ turkey
Corn on the cobs
Salad of tomatoes/cucumber/ peppers/ olives/ carrots/ red cabbage/ raw mushrooms etc

Can you eat cheese? If so add feta etc to salads
Ate you eating beans? Mixed bean and tuna salad is lovely

sashh Wed 05-Dec-12 08:27:32

Where on earth do you find grass fed fish?

How about humus and veg sticks for packed lunches.

If you cook fish in foil the day before it can be put into the lunch box still in foil and eaten cold.

Are you allowed eggs? Thick tortilla style omelette - you'd only need a slice in a lunch box.

Finger foods - olives, cherry tomatoes, veg sticks, spring onions, raddish 'flowers', grapes, satsumas etc.

Does it have to be comletely grain free? I found a recipe for pastry made with sweet potato, but it did also have flour in it.

JiltedJohnsJulie Wed 05-Dec-12 11:37:50

You could try nigella s meatizza.

nightcat Fri 07-Dec-12 19:55:49

I make a large bowl of vegetable salad (like Russian salad w/o potatoes) ie cooked veg: carrots, peas, celeriac, apples, olives, cornichons, eggs, onions, garlic - all chopped up and mixed with a little mayo. You can add on the side cheese or sliced meats. Usually lasts 2 days.

Also, finger foods like sashh above.

I dont do any pastry although occasionally use rice cakes - my ds is gluten free only but I realised long ago that grains don't have much nutritional value so trying to limit them.

I have even been personally in touch with one prof in US who is paleo expert when researching the diet to discuss lectins.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now