Have I just ruined my casserole? (milk)

(13 Posts)
posyplum Sun 02-Dec-12 18:35:51

Hi there, I've just cooked the Good Housekeeping winter veg casserole, and on the recipe it said to add cream before serving. I used milk instead of cream as I didn't have any, and forgot the 'before serving' bit, so my entire casserole has it in, and it's several night's worth (was going to freeze some maybe). Have I ruined it? Worried the milk is going to go off in my casserole?

RoffleCopter Sun 02-Dec-12 18:36:51

Have you tasted it?

posyplum Sun 02-Dec-12 18:47:59

Yes, it tastes fine, just worried about the milk now going off (ie it being inedible tomorrow?) I might be worrying about nothing. I've made soups before with milk in, but they were cooked for longer - this was just added at the end.

MissCellania Sun 02-Dec-12 18:50:39

Why would milk go off in a casserole any more than anywhere else? confused

posyplum Sun 02-Dec-12 18:51:54

I don't know MissC - novice cook I'm afraid (hence asking here!) - I know you can cook milk in sauces, just not sure about adding it, uncooked, at the end?

SingingBear Sun 02-Dec-12 18:52:29

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

posyplum Sun 02-Dec-12 18:53:18

In that milk tends to go off at warm temperatures. Doesn't it?

posyplum Sun 02-Dec-12 18:53:51

Thanks SingingBear! smile

SingingBear Sun 02-Dec-12 18:54:37

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

posyplum Sun 02-Dec-12 18:56:03

Oh good - phew! (have made about a week's worth!)

princesscadence Sun 02-Dec-12 19:12:49

The before serving bit is because the heat can curdle the milk/cream, not because of any food safety issues.

When you reheat it you may want to use gentle heat until simmering and don't let it boil, but the other in ingredients in the soup should protect the milk from curdling.

bonzo77 Sun 02-Dec-12 19:21:35

And if the milk curdles it will look awful but taste fine and not harm you. But do re heat gently.

posyplum Mon 03-Dec-12 08:58:23

Ah, thanks both for that info. I'd always assumed that adding milk/cream at the end was something to do with it going off!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now