Christmas Cake - but not fruit any suggestions?

(8 Posts)
ThompsonTwins Sun 25-Nov-12 07:43:08

If you mean without dried fruit Nigella has a clementine cake recipe or www.janespice.com/recipes/peach-spice-cake. Think Delia has a ginger cake with preserved lemons (again only good if it is only dried fruit that is the problem). Like the Yule log with marzipan idea.

Allalonenow Sun 25-Nov-12 07:35:14

Chocolate log would be super with home made marzipan holly leaves and berries decorating it.

Decs not secs. Stupid phone smile

My mil doesn't like fruit cake but makes a sachetorte with lovely glossing chocolate on top. It's made with almonds so is dense and lush. If you put some little Xmas secs on top and a sprinkling of icing sugar snow it would look beautiful I think.

lolalotta Sun 25-Nov-12 07:27:37

LOVE Millie's idea of the Xmas log!!!! You could stick a robin decoration on it! grin

Millie1 Sat 24-Nov-12 21:52:46

Chocolate log decorated with chocolate buttercream icing, bit of icing sugar dusted over for snow and some Christmas cake decorations? I did that past year - it was lovely but we scoffed it after dinner on Christmas Eve. Have made a fruit Christmas cake this year but will repeat the log for our Christmas Eve dinner.

Naoko Wed 21-Nov-12 15:36:58

If he doesn't like fruit cake (wise little chap, it's nasty stuff, chocolate's much better grin ) then make chocolate cake, who cares it's not traditional!

As for icing, what do you want to do? Do you want to copy the traditional christmas cake marzipan/royal icing onto a chocolate cake (in which case I agree, I don't think that'd be very nice) or do you just want it to look Christmassy and taste good?

If it were me I'd either do a chocolate cake with vanilla buttercream icing and decorate that with snowmen etc, or I'd use white meringue frosting, possibly flavoured, which is a little harder to make than buttercream but has the advantage of being properly white, unlike buttercream (and thus better for snowy landscapes).

mummatotwo Wed 21-Nov-12 14:53:01

Me and my DS have decided we are going to make a christmas cake this year!
With all the thick icing, snowmen figures etc... on - he's so excited.

Ok a few questions:

1. He doesnt like fruit cake but loves chocolate cake
2. If I did do a chocolate cake how do I ice it wouldnt it be awful the icing straight onto sponge?
3. When would be bext to make it so we could enjoy Christmas Eve/or Day

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now