NNote: This topic allows you to post a picture with your message using the Browse button under the Add Message box. You can only post one pic per message - and it will always appear above the text of your message, whichever order you browse/type in. If your pic doesn't load, try making it smaller (50KB max). We're afraid that you can't post up pictures if you're using the MN Talk App. And if you're not running IOS6 on your iPad or iPhone, you won't be able to browse for images on your Apple device.

Mince!

(8 Posts)
bigbadbarry Wed 14-Nov-12 09:22:00

For tea tonight, Very Nice mince from the farmers' market. Bored of my default meatballs; had spaghetti (carbonara) last night so no enthusiasm for spag Bol. My children dislike lasagne (plus pasta again). Just don't fancy shepherd's pie...any brilliant and jnteresting ideas before I give in to my Scottish husband and have mince and tatties?

How about meatloaf with onion gravy?

I mix the mince with a beaten egg, a handful of fresh breadcrumbs, some mixed herbs, salt and pepper, garlic and a tablespoon of tomato puree, 1/2 tsp mustard and a finely chopped onion (you can add pork sausagemeat too if you have some sausages in the house), mix with your hands, then press into a greased loaf tin, bake for about 1 hr 30 mins or until cooked through at 180 degrees C.

Lovely served with onion gravy, baked potatoes and broccoli.

halftermhurray Wed 14-Nov-12 09:38:05

Chilli con carne?
Tacos?
Think with the above the nice thing is to have some nice fresh guac and salsa with it.

Babotie? www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/5109/bobotie

Cannelloni?

halftermhurray Wed 14-Nov-12 09:39:00

Or how about minced beef with a pie topping?

bigbadbarry Wed 14-Nov-12 12:08:48

I think meatloaf sounds nice, thank you for the suggestion. Didn't know you could do it without sausagemeat.

I made meatloaf without sausagemeat on Friday, in fact, as we are avoiding gluten, I made it without breadcrumbs as well. It was a bit firmer but very tasty. Hope you enjoy.

Lickitysplit Wed 14-Nov-12 14:16:16

With a good quality mince like this I would do homemade burgers.

Wrigglebum Sat 17-Nov-12 19:57:57

Another vote for meatloaf, I'm really into it at the moment. We're doing blw with ds2 and it's so easy for him to eat. I add in grated carrot and/or apple too. You can use cooked quinoa instead of breadcrumbs if you want to up the protein.

It's great with mash and gravy, or served with a homemade tomato sauce and risotto Milanese.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now