Glut of sweet potatoes

(9 Posts)
CatKitson Wed 14-Nov-12 08:52:23

Ive been given 4 kilos of sweet potatoes!

What to do with them, apart from soups and baking em?

I was thinking some kind of cake, or does that sound awful?

a sort of "dauphinoise"?
- Peel and chop
- stir fry in a big pan with 1 white onion, add a bit of water to deglaze and season.
- layer in ovenproof dish, cover with a little bit of thin white sauce, a little bit of single cream.
- sprinkle with grated nutmed and grated cheese.
Bake for 20mn

They make a delicious treat prepared as you would for candied apple.
-slice and roast on a griddle pan
- toss in a light toffee sauce( brown sugar and butter or single cream)
- let them cool on a rack

oven fries?
-chop in thickish stick and toss in a drizzle of olive oil & a sprinkling of cinnamon + sweet parka + salt + pepper
- roast in a single layer about 20-5mn
they come out crispy and sticky outside, mushy inside.

CatKitson Wed 14-Nov-12 09:08:04

Will report back on how the toffee-ing goes. Ill make a batch right now! I hate to admit Ive never made toffee sauce or any other kind of toffee, so might take me a few goes.

artifarti Fri 16-Nov-12 17:43:33

Mash and mix with tinned salmon, chopped coriander leaves and tabasco and cover in breadcrumbs to make fishcakes.

Catsmamma Fri 16-Nov-12 17:45:20

they are brilliant in a curry...lamb and sweet potato...yummers!

artifarti Fri 16-Nov-12 17:47:39

Oooh yes, in chicken and lentil curry too...mmmm

SrirachaGirl Fri 16-Nov-12 17:52:27

You can use them in place of pumpkin in baking recipes so, muffins, cupcakes, cornbread (nice with chilli). Puréed sweet potato is also nice in oatmeal (top with butter and maple syrup and chopped nuts) or in American style pancakes.

I use them a lot to make African-peanut stew and red lentil and sweet potato chilli.

zippyrainbowbrite Fri 16-Nov-12 17:52:31

They freeze quite well - I make a batch of them mashed (with butter, salt and some maple syrup), then used an ice cream scoop to dollop it out onto a lined baking tray. Once they've frozen you can bung them all in a bag together, and just microwave them from frozen when you want them. Not quite so healthy but very yummy! grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now