Soup help please!

(9 Posts)

Root veg soup made in the slow cooker:

Peel and chop up 225g carrots, swede, leek, parsnip and 1 onion, place in slow cooker, add 2.5 points veg stock, mixed herbs and seasoning, leave slow cooker on all day. When you get home in the evening whizz it in the blender, add a swirl of natural yoghurt to each soup bowl. Yum. Serve with crusty bread and butter.

Hesterton Tue 13-Nov-12 18:59:15

Oh sounds good, thanks all.

sashh Tue 13-Nov-12 07:49:12

The hairy dieters have one

1 butternut squash
2 large carrots
1 parsnip
1 onion
1 litre boiling water and a stock cube

Theirs says for 4, so double the quantities.

Personally I'd do it in the slow cooker and use a stick blender when I got home.

liveinazoo Tue 13-Nov-12 06:19:25

forgot to say chop the veg up for the second recipeblush

liveinazoo Tue 13-Nov-12 06:18:28

pea and mint?
bag frozen peas added to sweated leeks/onions
cover with stock and bring to the boil.simmer 5mins adn add small bunch mint leaves then blitz and serve with dollop cream/yogurt?

squash,lentil and sweet potato soup
large squash,4 sweet potatoes,200g red lentils<rinsed>,2 carrots
added to onions sweated to soften then add garlic<2 cloves>and thumb size piece of ginger<grated or sliced> and 2tsp cumin<if you like it>

add just enough stock to covr the veg and boil<skim if neccesary> and simmer 30mins til veg and lentils are tender and blitz

jaynebxl Tue 13-Nov-12 05:42:33

I was going to suggest a butternut squash recipe too... V tasty at this time of year.

BlingLoving Mon 12-Nov-12 20:34:30

Oh, and to do 8 (which I only just noticed) I would use a very large butternut or two smaller ones and simply use bigger versions of the base veg! The recipe as is would feed about 5 easily.

Also, you can toast the seeds to sprinkle on top if you want. I don't like pumpkin seeds so don't do it myself.

BlingLoving Mon 12-Nov-12 20:32:43

Basic butternut soup:

One medium onion chopped
Half a red/yellow pepper chopped
One leek, sliced
One small carrot, peeled and sliced
One medium butternut, cut into chunks and peeled
One large potatoe/2 medium potatoes peeled and cut into chunks
Stock
Rosemary, chilli (optional), lemon juice and cinnamon
Milk

Fry onion, leaks, carrots, peppers in a little oil until softened. Add potatoe and butternut and cover with stock. Sprinkle some rosemary and, if using, a few chilli flakes.

Simmer for about 20 minutes until butternut and potatoe are cooked.

Allow to cool slightly then blitz with a hand blender. Add enough milk to smooth it out and make it the right consistency. (About 125-250ml).

Add about a teaspoon of cinnamon
And a good squeeze of lemon. Then taste. Season as required. Then add extra cinnamon and lemon if necessary.

If you want to make it a bit snazzy, serve with a drizzle of cream in each bowl.

Hesterton Mon 12-Nov-12 17:39:57

I have recently moved and advertised for people interested in starting a book club. We meet for the first time soon, 8 of us! I am so pleased as I don't really know anyone around here yet.

It's at my home so I said I'd make soup and they'll bring things to accompany it.

Trouble is I am working until just before they arrive so I need a really tasty but fairly simple veggie soup recipe which I can make the day before and refridgerate. Something warming and filling.

Your ideas would be very welcome!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now