Vegetarian dinner party, help please.

(12 Posts)
ChasedByBees Mon 12-Nov-12 06:24:09

Your ideas sound tasty! For future, this is one of my favourite veggie recipes:

Roasted butternut squash salad with soy balsamic dressing:
www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/4107/roasted-butternut-squash-salad-with-soy-balsamic-d

Lovely!

TheTrimBody Mon 12-Nov-12 06:07:23

A Lebanese style mezzo is great - something for everyone.
Or
4/5 different curries, ie, a couple with meat and a couple without.

Have a look for some ideas if you like: www.thetrimbody.com

sashh Mon 12-Nov-12 05:42:49

If they eat dairy

Filo parcells stuffed with cream chease and mushrooms.

Tomato and aubergine caserole.

Slice and fry aubergines

layer the cooked aubergines with a mixture of tinned chopped tomatoes and pasatta.

When you get to the last layer pour over some youghurt and top with breadcrumbs.

TeaDr1nker Sun 11-Nov-12 20:16:09

I get my veg from Riverford, and it was one of their recipes.

Thanks for your ideas. Think I will start with butternut squash soup, so blummin cold now.

Your ideas for roast potatoes are lovely, will give them a whorl with roasted tomatoes as well.

JulesJules Sun 11-Nov-12 19:31:33

I was going to say spanokopita as well! I do it with baby potatoes baked in the oven, put them in a big roasting tin with a splash of olive oil & a splash of water, lots of whole garlic cloves and a few sprigs of rosemary. Serve with salads. I usually do a tabbouleh and a green salad.

Or risotto with salad and bread. Paella if you don't want to be standing over the risotto. Or orzo.

There's some lovely recipes in the latest Ottolenghi book, roasted butternut squash with a dressing made with tahini and pinenuts and rice with currants lemon and herbs. Something like that with salad would be great.

XBenedict Sun 11-Nov-12 19:16:49

I made a tomato tarte tatin a few nights ago - very yummy!

Beamur Sun 11-Nov-12 19:15:57

I made something for a veggie chum a few days ago.
Sliced and fried courgettes and aubergines, spread in a dish topped with a rich tomato sauce (lots of garlic, slow cooked) and then crumbled feta and sprinkled cumin seeds on top. Really simple and yummy. Add salad and some fresh bread or flatbreads and you're away.
Nice cold the next day too.

roalddahl Sun 11-Nov-12 19:14:10

Fresh (bought) pasta with homemade pesto, courgette ribbons, extra veggie pasta cheese and pine nuts and salad and garlic bread?

I agree, River Cottage Veg Everyday is a great book. Or Abel and Cole have loads of veggie recipes on their website.

Leek and mushroom pie sounds good.

A big tart (with bought puff pastry) is really easy but looks impressive. Good with garlic roasted new potatoes and salad or steamed vege. Or I really like caramelised onion quiche with the vege as above.

ChippingInLovesAutumn Sat 10-Nov-12 21:41:14

Leek & Mushroom pie & roasties sounds great... what time did you say? I'll even bring wine

TheMysteryCat Sat 10-Nov-12 21:35:38

Spanakopitta is wonderful and quite easy if you buy the filo pastry. The river cottage veg book has a recipe that's very easy. I serve it with pan fried spiced potatoes and salad.

Aubergine parmigiana is also vey easy and delicious with a big leafy salad and bread. I've swapped Aubergine for courgette before and that works too.

TeaDr1nker Sat 10-Nov-12 21:23:00

friends are coming for dinner next week, I don't know what to serve other than chocolate mousse for dessert.

My friend eats fish, but the last time they came I made Salmon en croute but don't want to repeat.

Could I get away with a recipe I have seen for leek and mushroom pie with roasties etc, or something else.

I am happy to try something else as long as it's not too complicated.

TIA

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now