Dh loves pigeon, I've never tried it please can I have some recipes and tips...

(15 Posts)

Oooo yum yum yum wrap in bacon and oven cook or pan fry then thinly slice on a large parsnip and potato rosti (my favourite) and serve with red cabbage mmmm

YouSmegHead Mon 08-Oct-12 14:29:30

Thanks all, in the end was a moot point, he came back with a pheasant .... Now who has ideas for pheasant (am not cleaning and plucking so really just the breasts grin )

blue2 Sun 07-Oct-12 14:21:15

Flash fry the breasts in a hot pan until they're pink. Slice and put on top of a large plate of salad, then put a bit of balsamic vinegar into the pan, whoosh it about, and pour over the top.
Voila! Warm pigeon salad!

I've only eaten it once, at a michelin starred place, it was seared and served very pink.
I loved it.

Ah go on be brave! Let us know how the pigeon goes! wink

SeveredEdMcDunnough Sun 07-Oct-12 14:10:38

Rabbit is lovely I think. I have never bought it myself though, we had it when we were kids.

YouSmegHead Sun 07-Oct-12 12:54:47

It's taken many years for me to get this close to trying it. I've still not tried rabbit even though I've cooked it for him a few times confused

grin I've only had it once I think I would like it in a pie or something saucy. Or just cooked a bit more than it was! I'm quite a fan of game etc with my dad being a game keeper. Can't beat a bit of pheasant!

YouSmegHead Sun 07-Oct-12 12:43:22

Hugh of course thank you grin

Stop telling me how gross it is, your not helping grin

It's gross btw wink but when I had it it was rare and like eating a raw chicken breast! I would go with a pie maybe as it's all cold outside!

MeFour Sun 07-Oct-12 12:36:50

Severed. He's a fool then. It's quite easy to tell if the breast will have shot in it as it does damage.
H f-w has some lovely pigeon breast recipes.

YouSmegHead Sun 07-Oct-12 12:34:41

SeveredEdMcDunnough Basically that's why I'm asking free meat seems a bit hard to argue with.

Thanks spotty

Pan fried, just seal it meant to be cooked medium rare and they're pretty small. Fry with garlic and mushrooms

SeveredEdMcDunnough Sun 07-Oct-12 12:21:19

It's vile.

Sorry! I had an ex who used to shoot them himself and ate almost nothing but pigeon stew.

With bits of shot in it.

The taste was just horrible, disregarding the teeth breaking attributes of it.

So I can't really help!

YouSmegHead Sun 07-Oct-12 12:14:04

As above what do you recommend?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now