Lasagne toppings

(12 Posts)
kelly14 Thu 04-Oct-12 13:53:33

i like making a chicken and mushroom lasagne instead of the usual.
instead of a white sauce i use a home made cheese sauce (butter, flour, milk and any cheese you want, i usually use cheddar or a blue cheese but brie makes it delicious)

I totally omit the red sauce and just layer lasagne sheets with chicken and mushrooms and the cheese sauce. the chicken and mushrooms i fry in garlic olive oil with some shallots or leeks and rosemary or any herbs i have on hand.

and top with any grated cheese to hand, very very rich but very yum served with a very garlicy ciabatta

somethingscary Wed 03-Oct-12 17:45:32

Crispy bits of bacon would be nice although I've never done it!

BetteDavis01 Wed 03-Oct-12 17:08:35

Thanks for your tips!

Sliced tomatoes and olive oil dipped basil leaves.

comeonpilgrim Wed 03-Oct-12 15:13:06

Gruyere is good. Sliced cherry tomatoes too.

I use creme fraiche instead of sauce, and then put blobs of mozzarella on the top.

Catsmamma Wed 03-Oct-12 10:03:27

i like parmesan on mine, it goes crisper, without that oozy fat you can get from some cheddar.

a few breadcrumbs and some herbs mixed in with a little grated cheese doesn't go amiss either.

charlottehere Wed 03-Oct-12 10:02:55

mascopone is delicious and easier than cheese sauce in the lasagne

penona Wed 03-Oct-12 10:01:25

My American friend uses cottage cheese or ricotta instead of the bechamel and then a bit of Parmesan and cheddar mix on top. It's delicious!

BetteDavis01 Wed 03-Oct-12 09:54:17

Its a bit bland with just cheddar and I dont know what else to use. Thanks for the tip.

LadyMargolotta Wed 03-Oct-12 08:48:10

Why would you need something other then cheese? Emmental cheese is very nice as a topping. So is Leerdammer.

BetteDavis01 Wed 03-Oct-12 08:44:58

Im looking for some inspiration please!

I normally just sprinkle some cheddar cheese on top of my lasagne, but that's boring.

What else can I use? Doesn't just have to be another cheese. Thanks!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now