Lasagne toppings

(12 Posts)
BetteDavis01 Wed 03-Oct-12 08:44:58

Im looking for some inspiration please!

I normally just sprinkle some cheddar cheese on top of my lasagne, but that's boring.

What else can I use? Doesn't just have to be another cheese. Thanks!

LadyMargolotta Wed 03-Oct-12 08:48:10

Why would you need something other then cheese? Emmental cheese is very nice as a topping. So is Leerdammer.

BetteDavis01 Wed 03-Oct-12 09:54:17

Its a bit bland with just cheddar and I dont know what else to use. Thanks for the tip.

penona Wed 03-Oct-12 10:01:25

My American friend uses cottage cheese or ricotta instead of the bechamel and then a bit of Parmesan and cheddar mix on top. It's delicious!

charlottehere Wed 03-Oct-12 10:02:55

mascopone is delicious and easier than cheese sauce in the lasagne

Catsmamma Wed 03-Oct-12 10:03:27

i like parmesan on mine, it goes crisper, without that oozy fat you can get from some cheddar.

a few breadcrumbs and some herbs mixed in with a little grated cheese doesn't go amiss either.

I use creme fraiche instead of sauce, and then put blobs of mozzarella on the top.

comeonpilgrim Wed 03-Oct-12 15:13:06

Gruyere is good. Sliced cherry tomatoes too.

Sliced tomatoes and olive oil dipped basil leaves.

BetteDavis01 Wed 03-Oct-12 17:08:35

Thanks for your tips!

somethingscary Wed 03-Oct-12 17:45:32

Crispy bits of bacon would be nice although I've never done it!

kelly14 Thu 04-Oct-12 13:53:33

i like making a chicken and mushroom lasagne instead of the usual.
instead of a white sauce i use a home made cheese sauce (butter, flour, milk and any cheese you want, i usually use cheddar or a blue cheese but brie makes it delicious)

I totally omit the red sauce and just layer lasagne sheets with chicken and mushrooms and the cheese sauce. the chicken and mushrooms i fry in garlic olive oil with some shallots or leeks and rosemary or any herbs i have on hand.

and top with any grated cheese to hand, very very rich but very yum served with a very garlicy ciabatta

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now