Shall I make a Christmas cake? Is it really worth the efford? And do I have to start now?

(12 Posts)
nkf Sun 30-Sep-12 17:38:58

Shall I?

sensesworkingovertime Sun 30-Sep-12 19:26:03

I would say it depends how much enjoyment and satisfaction you get from doing it, if you don't get much, don't do it. If it's just going to stress you, don't do it. If you are going to find it enjoyable to make your very own...then do it! I have never done it myself but my sister made one one year and it was very nice to have a home made one.

I'm doing it this year, bought almost all the ingredients and will take the plunge on Sunday. It might be great, it might not but every year I think of it, decide its too much faff, and come the serving of the cake I lament not having made it properly. If you don't do it I will report back to tell you if its worth it. If I remember in the new year that is.

nkf Mon 01-Oct-12 20:53:55

I think I will have a go. Now to find a foolproof recipe. Do I have to soak mixed fruit in flannel underwear for weeks?

UptoapointLordCopper Mon 01-Oct-12 21:02:34

I made a caramel christmas cake one year. It was easy and also the best ever.

RumBaaBaa Mon 01-Oct-12 21:18:38

Ooh that caramel cake looks delicious. Have bookmarked. Torn between that and making a Jamaican black cake, which my step mum made for Christmas years ago and it was wonderful.

CharlotteBronteSaurus Mon 01-Oct-12 21:24:19

yes, do. it's worth the effort. we make delia's, and feed it up with cognac. i normally do it around October half-term.

nkf Mon 01-Oct-12 21:28:23

Jamaican black cake sounds interesting. Full of rum I presume.

RumBaaBaa Mon 01-Oct-12 21:48:15

Yes! Also cherry brandy and angostura bitters. It is a very dark and moist cake, tangy and sticky and delicious. Annoyingly I've lost the recipe but it's roughly something like this.

PurpleGeekyGirl Tue 02-Oct-12 09:53:15

I started soaking my fruit on Sunday, weigh out 1.5kgs of mixed dried fruit and then add 750ml of mixed rum/brandy/whisky and leave in a tub in a cool place for a month. It makes the most amazingly moist and tasty cake but with minimal effort.

nkf Thu 04-Oct-12 19:13:18

I've decided to give it a go. At half term.

TeaOneSugar Fri 05-Oct-12 17:37:05

I'm doing the Waitrose christmas cake, it came highly recommended on here.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now