No self-raising flour, can I use plain + baking powder instead?

(9 Posts)
Ponyclubmum Mon 12-Mar-12 17:16:26

I'm making a stew for dinner, and the main reason I make stew is because I love dumplings. I've just realised though that I have no self-raising flour left. I've read that I can add baking powder to plain flour to create self-raising, but in what quantities? Help please!

lottiegb Mon 12-Mar-12 17:16:49

yes

lottiegb Mon 12-Mar-12 17:18:19

quantities - um, look at a cake recipe that uses baking powder? Probably about a teaspoon to a pound (400g)?

cerys74 Mon 12-Mar-12 17:23:05

I always use plain flour to make dumplings, so you may not need baking powder at all!

But yes for other applications, plain flour (less than 500g) + about 1 tsp baking powder does the job.

Ponyclubmum Mon 12-Mar-12 18:06:00

Saviours! Thank you very much. I can't eat stew without dumplings!

cerys, when you make them with plain flour do they still puff up a bit when cooked? Are they fluffy or a bit more dense?

cerys74 Mon 12-Mar-12 22:15:27

mine come out rather dense - however I'm sure you have made your dumplings by now so that advice is a bit late, sorry!!

tb Tue 13-Mar-12 00:17:05

3tsp per 240g/half a pound

Ponyclubmum Tue 13-Mar-12 10:09:17

I realised when I came to make them that there are quantities given on the tub of baking powder! blush

As tb says, it's 3tsp per 8oz. They fluffed up beautifully and were delicious. Well, you learn something new every day! Might as well not bother buying self-raising anymore - I always end up with baking powder sitting in my cupboard for years and I might as well use it.

Thanks for your help everyone. smile

yvonnecollyer Tue 12-Jul-16 17:45:23

Can i ues bicarbanate of soda in dumplings

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now