Easy but impressive starter help please!

(5 Posts)
Rushyswife Tue 04-Oct-11 10:39:44

Hiya!

Have a lovely couple coming for dinner on Saturday, and I am a bit stuck for a starter. I am pregnant, so it needs to be ok for that. Also, she is the most amazing cook ever and always really spoils us when we go to their house. I am ok, but like to do something different each time they come to us, and my repotoire is now a bit thin. I am also trying to do stuff that I can prepare during the day, so I don't get frazzled in the hour before they arrive!

I am thinking of doing a really lovely lasagne for the main course (I know it is hardly adventurous but my husband has requested it, bless him!)

Pudding I was thinking of making brownies and hot fudge sauce and serving with ice cream

What about the starter though? Oh, none of us are fussy eaters, but she does not like soup much, so would like to avoid that....

Any ideas? Much appreciated

FancyForgetting Tue 04-Oct-11 10:47:28

How about smoked salmon pate? In a food processor, blitz smoked salmon, cream cheese (eg Philadelphia), lemon juice, chives and dill, season to taste. Put in to ramekins, cover with cling film and pop in to fridge to chill. Serve with oatcakes and a salad garnish. Yummy, easy and can be done the previous day smile

Rushyswife Tue 04-Oct-11 15:30:22

Thanks! That does sound yummy, but I am not sure I can eat smoked salmon when pregnant....will definitely be making this asap though!

ArthurMcAffertyhastwocats Tue 04-Oct-11 15:51:21

Pregnancy does rule out a lot of easy options, I agree...I would be comfortable with a smoked trout or mackerel pate (cottage cheese, greek yoghurt, horseradish, dash of ketchup) but different people feel differently when pregnant.

What about a fig salad, with walnuts and a really delicious dressing? Or this one? You could add goats cheese for the non pregnant people.

Or (and this is really easy and totally delicious) get a packet of puff pastry. Roll out, and cover with pesto. Then add thinly sliced tomato. Stick in the oven until cooked, drizzle with balsamic vinegar and serve with a small side salad.

FancyForgetting Wed 05-Oct-11 07:50:29

Sorry - a loooooong time since I was pregnant (nearly 20 years shock) and have realised I'm v out of touch re guidelines!

Could substitute smoked trout as Arthur suggested, or Hot Smoked Salmon - M&S do a lovely one with a peppery crust in small quantities which would be ideal. Although Arthur's puff pastry tart sounds like it would be esp nice with lasagne.

Enjoy!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now