Is it safe to re-freeze meat that's been frozen, defrosted and cooked?

(13 Posts)
loobs2 Thu 06-Jan-11 14:23:08

This is something I've been unsure about for years - can anyone tell me the answer?

pinkhebe Thu 06-Jan-11 14:24:49

if you mean using frozen mince to cook say a spag bol and then freeze the spag bol, then I would say yes, I've been doing it for years.

MoonUnitAlpha Thu 06-Jan-11 14:25:03

Like mince that you've frozen, defrosted to make a bolognese with, then refrozen that?

I do it all the time, never thought it would be unsafe.

nbee84 Thu 06-Jan-11 14:25:21

Yes, as long as it was raw before being defrosted and has now been cooked. smile

JarethTheGoblinKing Thu 06-Jan-11 14:26:19

Yes, it's safe. You can freeze once when raw, cook, freeze again and then re-heat.

Montifer Thu 06-Jan-11 14:26:21

Yes, it's fine smile

loobs2 Thu 06-Jan-11 14:27:49

Is it the same for any raw meat - e.g bought fresh chicken fillets, froze them, defrosted then made a curry - safe to freeze leftovers to defrost/reheat at later date?

MadamDeathstare Thu 06-Jan-11 14:29:07

Yes it is OK.

Any bacteria in the raw meat are not killed by freezing, but they can't breed. The meat is defrosted, the bacteria start to grow again. The cooking process destroys the bacteria as long as it reaches a certain temperature for a certain length of time. For mince it needs to be thoroughly boiling for at least three minutes.

You freeze the cooked mince and any bacteria it was contaminated with before it reached the freezer are once more in suspended animation. When it is defrosted you cook it thoroughly again to kill the bacteria.

loobs2 Thu 06-Jan-11 14:31:19

Thank you everyone! smile

AlexJones36 Thu 06-Jan-11 14:58:48

It is safe to refreeze cooked frozen meat.

Insure that the meat is correctly and safely thawed when taken from the freezer. The defrosted meat then needs to be cooked as soon after it is thawed as possible to avoid contaminate build-up and lastly, once the meat is cooked and after it is cooled it needs to be frozen straight away.

Insure that the meat is correctly packaged, removing all air from the airtight package to avoid freezer burn.

Heres a good website that shows you how to defrost frozen food and how to store frozen food.

Philmeme Sat 11-Apr-15 09:11:52

If I have done the above with mince,frozen,thawed,cooked,frozen then taken it out of the freezer to eat how long has it got in the fridge until it is ready for the bin or cod be risky to eat??

cdtaylornats Sat 11-Apr-15 10:32:30

You basically have as long as you would have if you missed out freezing it.

Funnybunny5 Sat 30-Jan-16 18:10:11

I cooked a bolognaise sauce using beef mince, I froze it, defrosted it, re-heated it and there is still loads left. Is it safe to freeze it again?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now