What can I do with spare egg yolks?

(13 Posts)

I made some meringues but now I'm left with the egg yolks. What can I make with them that isn't fattening (I'm on slimming world)
thanks

itsonlyajob Fri 08-Oct-10 14:13:57

well the yolk is the 'fattening' bit so quite hard to avoid that issue. custard? an omlette? (add another whole egg), chocolate mousse

not hugely helpful I realise

Thanks itsonlyajob, eggs are fine on slimming world so I put one in some spicy scrambled egg. Might bin the rest.

bigTillyMint Fri 08-Oct-10 18:41:03

I have also got egg yolks to use!

Not non-fattening, but Hollandaise / bechamel sauce or egg custard?

Kitta Fri 08-Oct-10 22:46:43

ice cream?

Curlybrunette Tue 12-Oct-10 21:53:40

MMMMMMMM lemon curd everytime.
I could eat a whole batch of still warm home made lemon curd all to myself.
But no, lemon curd may not be very SW friendly!

x

OmicronPersei8 Tue 12-Oct-10 21:58:26

Make your own pasta?

ChoChoSan Tue 12-Oct-10 22:02:53

Yep. Egg pasta. You can freeze it nice made if you can't be bothered rolling it out straight away, then at least egg yolks aren't wasted

LacksDaisies Tue 12-Oct-10 22:10:55

I make a really nice pasta sauce that involves very slowly cooking onions until translucent, then adding 2 tins chopped toms and some herbs and simmering for 20 mins. than take the sauce off the heat and stir through four beaten egg yolks; it goes all creamy and lush and is delicious.

the slow cooking of the onions might be a bit hard using fry light though, but you could always use olive oil as a healthy extra!

FellatioNelson Thu 14-Oct-10 14:50:43

Ice cream! I always have the opposite problem in that I'm always making ice cream and end up with loads of merigue to use up the whites!

You can add egg yolk to fresh Caesar salad dressing, and mix it into grated cheese with mustard and a splash of beer (optional) a dollop of cream and worcestershire sauce for a really nice Welsh Rarebit topping on crusty bread, or jacket potatoes.

FellatioNelson Thu 14-Oct-10 14:54:57

Sorry, meant to say that if you can use splenda to sweeten ice cream. It won't be low-fat obviously, but it will be low-carb.

Thanks everyone, some good ideas there. I can't use sweetener so the ice cream might be out but my husband loves lemon curd so might give that a try next time. Also, would never have thought of putting yolk in a pasta sauce.

I'm not sure how home made pasta counts on slimming world but will have to look it up.

Thanks again

Mummy2Bookie Fri 22-Oct-10 22:00:32

Lemon curd, shortbread or adding ' richness ' to cookies

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now