Ungassed bananas

(8 Posts)
Nansrus Wed 03-Mar-10 12:54:52

Can anyone tell me where I can buy ungassed bananas, as even some organic bananas are sprayed?

OtterInaSkoda Wed 03-Mar-10 13:47:21

[nosey and not at all helpful emoticon]

Why? Is it because you want them to last longer, or to not make all the other fruit in your fruit bowl ripen too quickly?

Chil1234 Thu 04-Mar-10 19:00:08

The only gas they are exposed to is 'ethylene'... which is the gas that bananas (and other plants) naturally give off when they ripen. Unless you like eating rock hard grass green bananas straight off the boat you will not find what you're looking for.

ABetaDad Thu 04-Mar-10 19:07:29

M&S bananas are generally green in the shop when they are delivered which suggest they are ungassed.

You could contact them and ask. I suspect Waitrose may have ungassed bananas as well.

Chil1234 Fri 05-Mar-10 11:05:44

Any bananas you can buy that are green and for ripening at home have still been conditioned either on the vessel in transit or in the holding stores on arrival. Waitrose and M&S included. I know this because I work in the industry.

Ethylene is a totally natural and harmless gas. If someone wants to ripen an avocado, for example, and puts it in a paper bag with a banana the ethylene gas coming off the banana will ripen the avocado. I really don't understand what the problem is.

Nansrus Sat 06-Mar-10 08:44:49

Hi,
Thanks for all your help, I did know that ethylene was safe. But I also read that they add toxic chemicals like methyl bromide and aldicarb is this true Chil?

Chil1234 Sat 06-Mar-10 10:12:23

I've never come across any additional chemicals in the ripening process. Bananas are ripened with a mixture of ethylene and plain old air combined with the appropriate temperature regime.

Methyl bromide's use as a fungicide and fumigant has been heavily controlled since 1992 because of its ozone depleting properties. It was phased out completely in developed countries in 2005 and I'm pretty sure that UK supermarkets don't allow its use in their supply chain. Aldicarb was withdrawn in 1992.

Nansrus Sun 07-Mar-10 13:19:36

Thanks for that Chil precise and to the point! Much appreciated! Better than asking a company as all they do is waffle!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now