Things to do with baked beans?

(13 Posts)
JennyPenny22 Sat 27-Feb-10 12:00:45

We have too many tins and trying to use some up before we move. I went mad on baked beans when I was on a diet so would buy lots everytime I did a big shop, but now I have completly gone off them, except with a fry up or "In" something.

So not jacket poatoe or beans on toast - what else can I do, and for the LOs too (baby and toddler).

DH hates them so hoping to use some while he is on shift this week.

dreamingofsun Sat 27-Feb-10 12:12:50

casserole - pork or chicken, baked beans, slug tom sauce, garlic clove, thyme, 1/2 pint stock/white wine mixed and near end some conrnflour if too runny. you can also add chopped bacon. makes a sort of french casserole that has lots of beans in but much easier. if doing in slow cooker just add stock cube and not the liquid

nubbins Sat 27-Feb-10 12:14:01

'baked beano' is what my mum used to make, it's beans, topped with mash then cheese, like you'd make a shepherds pie.

TheYearOfTheCat Sat 27-Feb-10 12:15:29

They're nice with mince, carrot & onions - adds a bit of bulk.

I have a memory from childhood of 'baked bean pie' but can't remember what was in it (apart from, obviously, baked beans).

Tortoise Sat 27-Feb-10 12:21:12

Baked bean pie is a favourite in this house.
Cook some sausages, chop them into 3 pieces and put in the bottom of an oven proof dish. Pour on 2 tins of baked beans, stir. Layer of grated cheese (and chopped onion if wanted). Top with mash potato and sprinkle with grated cheese.
Put in oven 190 deg ish for about 15-20 mins to brown the top.

OR
grated cheese and baked bean sandwich warmed for 30 secs in the microwave so the cheese melts a little! grin

Put them in a chilli con carne, or a sausage casserole

JennyPenny22 Mon 01-Mar-10 11:02:50

The baked bean pie sounds yummy. Will try that tomorrow (once I have defrosted some sausages!). Do you fry the sausages first?

Anybody have a good recipe for sausage cassarole?

aseriouslyblondemoment Mon 01-Mar-10 11:09:54

great added into a corn beef hash toogrin

5inthebed Mon 01-Mar-10 11:12:17

Curried beans? Yummy on a jacket potato.

Fry an onion in some oil, add curry power and fry for a little bit longer, and add beans. Add more curry powder to taste.

Even nicer with some cheese grated over them.

Probably not suitable for your DC, but worth a try. My 6 year old loves them.

TheDevilWearsPrimark Mon 01-Mar-10 12:14:32

My DC loved this -

Cook 8 chipolatas (god quality, natch) or 3 normal sausages.

Shallow fry thinly sliced circles of potato

Chop the sausages and add them with the potatoes to a pan with a tin of beans and 1/2 can of chopped tomatoes.

Cook on low for about 5 minutes stirring regularly.

thereistheball Mon 01-Mar-10 20:32:29

Personally I'd rinse the sauce off them then use them in a stew (eg sausage and carrot with tomato and kale, or parsnip and cumin) or curry.

KurriKurri Mon 01-Mar-10 20:43:23

I add them to veggie shepherds pie sometimes. Also do a recipe where you mix baked beans, kidney beans, and mixed veg(fresh or frozen) and top with parboiled sliced potatoes - bake in the oven until potatoes cooked and crispy.

EightiesChick Mon 01-Mar-10 20:50:46

Baked bean lasagne! Another standard student recipe for me from Cas Clarke's Grub on a Grant. You can probably guess how this is done, but this looks like the closest thing to the recipe I've been able to find online. The only difference would be that I never used pre-cooked lasagne sheets, just put the dried ones in and cooked it for longer.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now