NNote: This topic allows you to post a picture with your message using the Browse button under the Add Message box. You can only post one pic per message - and it will always appear above the text of your message, whichever order you browse/type in. If your pic doesn't load, try making it smaller (50KB max). We're afraid that you can't post up pictures if you're using the MN Talk App. And if you're not running IOS6 on your iPad or iPhone, you won't be able to browse for images on your Apple device.

Which of these British foods should this American try first?

(440 Posts)

My little Texan village grocery has expanded and is trying to be very posh all of a sudden (which is a change from the standard Velveeta and Hamburger Helper choices) and has put in a British section of food! Imagine my shock to find some of the things you talk about in my own store here. It's quite pricy as it's all imported, so I want to try just one or two things at a time. Here's what they have to offer:

HP Brown Sauce and Fruity Sauce
Branston Pickle
Marmite
Heinz Baked Beans (apparently different than ours?)
Blackcurrant jam
Galaxy bars
Bounty bars
Bird's Custard
Bisto granules
Robinsons barley water

Think there are more but can't remember. Of these, what should I try?

Oh, almost forgot the Heinz Spotted Dick. It's creating hilarity/shock throught the town grin

Yes, was going to substitute McVities digestives for the key lime pie crust. Think they are too thick to make effective smores, though. Glad you liked the Branston Pickle. Sorry, called your DD a DS on earlier post - did she taste the Marmite?

Horton Mon 14-Sep-09 20:43:37

Try getting very thinly sliced pancetta, rachelinscotland. It won't give you all that dripping but it will make fabulous crisp bacon.

Is boiling bacon like gammon?

pooexplosions Mon 14-Sep-09 21:43:04

its sort of like gammon, but sort of not. Thats not very helpful is it? Its a big joint but its not very salty, its a different type of curing I think, plus often a different cut.

Horton Mon 14-Sep-09 22:19:53

I must look out for some and investigate further. I'd like to try it. You can get quite unsalty gammon if it's unsmoked. Is that the kind of thing?

See, I have not heard of a joint of bacon before! So what my brain painted a picture of was a mess of sliced streaky bacon which had been boiled.

Our bacon is always salty and usually smoky. I've had pancetta, and while it's delish, to my taste it is nothing like bacon. It may be pork but it's a completely different beast!

No, my dd wouldn't try the marmite because it looks very different from what shes used to. I think I may try to sneak it on her. I added a dollop to my stew over the weekend and although I couldn't taste it exactly, it was a bit different. Even dd ate it and she hates stew!

This is what we're talking bout BP. Looks like pork but has been cured with salt/smoke. Boil for an hour or so then slice and eat with freshly baked bread/mashed potatoes/whatever you want. Then keep the leftovers in the fridge for snacking on.

Talking about.
I don't want to sound like Arnold from Diff'rent Strokes grin

Horton Mon 14-Sep-09 22:49:55

Pancetta is very like American bacon, I think, if thinly sliced in rashers. At least, it's like what I've had in breakfasts with pancakes etc in American hotels.

But pancetta isn't smoked, is it?

pooexplosions Tue 15-Sep-09 00:35:37

Irish bacon for boiling looks like this, its shoulder or collar of pork rather than leg which is traditionally the cut for gammon.
Nothing like frying bacon.

Proper corned beef, incidentally, is like this and is absolutely gorgeous. Its silverside of beef and is sooo tender you can slice it with a spoon!

Horton Tue 15-Sep-09 11:04:41

This is the stuff I mean, and it is smoked. It is very very thinly sliced and gets beautifully crisp if you grill it.

BornToFolk Tue 15-Sep-09 11:10:53

I want boiled bacon now! My Granny used to make it with boiled potatoes, cabbage and parsley sauce. Seriously good food. The only meat I've ever missed since becoming veggie.

nappyaddict Wed 14-Oct-09 23:51:49

I couldn't find Marshmallow Fluff in Asda. Is it with the jams? I did find it in TK Maxx though instead.

Also I did find root beer but only cans (think the make was Carter's). Is that the one you lot get or do you get it in bottles?

nappyaddict Wed 14-Oct-09 23:53:26

(I did find it in Sainsbury's in the bottle though)

mathanxiety Fri 16-Oct-09 05:59:37

Root beer reminds me of toothpaste.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now