Which of these British foods should this American try first?

(440 Posts)

My little Texan village grocery has expanded and is trying to be very posh all of a sudden (which is a change from the standard Velveeta and Hamburger Helper choices) and has put in a British section of food! Imagine my shock to find some of the things you talk about in my own store here. It's quite pricy as it's all imported, so I want to try just one or two things at a time. Here's what they have to offer:

HP Brown Sauce and Fruity Sauce
Branston Pickle
Marmite
Heinz Baked Beans (apparently different than ours?)
Blackcurrant jam
Galaxy bars
Bounty bars
Bird's Custard
Bisto granules
Robinsons barley water

Think there are more but can't remember. Of these, what should I try?

Oh, almost forgot the Heinz Spotted Dick. It's creating hilarity/shock throught the town grin

AvengingGerbil Sun 06-Sep-09 17:05:05

Have the spotted dick with the custard.

But the packaged versions are nothing like as good as if you make it yourself!

Marmite. But you do need a masterclass in appropriate application first.

dietstartstomorrow Sun 06-Sep-09 17:06:07

Would be a cheese & branston sarnie followed by a bounty - lovely!

cece Sun 06-Sep-09 17:06:29

They don't have blackcurrant jam in America!? shock

I think they should try the pickle first, with proper cheddar in a sandwich. (Or a nice Ploughmans)

Lol at these things being considered posh!

weegiemum Sun 06-Sep-09 17:08:09

Bah! Humbugs!

There is no Irn Bru on the list!

MmeLindt Sun 06-Sep-09 17:09:45

Make a steak pie using the Bisto granules.

And an apple crumble with custard.

You really need cheddar if you are going to enjoy Branston Pickle.

LOL at that lot being thought posh.

I would not have thought to pair the custard with the spotted dick, so thanks for that idea!

What is in branston, when it says "pickle" what exactly is in there? They could have pickled anything! What type if cheese with it? We actually have a very good cheese section.

Martha, will you teach me the ways of marmite? And promise nit to hate me if I think it's vile?

colditz Sun 06-Sep-09 17:11:48

Bisto best roast beef gravy granules

marmite.

Just by the fact that it's British, that makes it posh grin

And no, I've not seen blackcurrant jam before!

What is Irn Bru? Or Ploughmans?

AvengingGerbil Sun 06-Sep-09 17:18:35

Marmite: traditionally, you will either love it at first bite or hate it. You are unlikely to change your mind. So I'd be disinclined to fork out a lot of cash on the off-chance.

If you do, make toast, butter it and spread a VERY thin amount of marmite on it.

(It is my son's staple food - for many of us Brits, it fills the same cultural space as the peanut butter and jelly sandwich.)

BumperliciousVsTheDailyHate Sun 06-Sep-09 17:18:50

Ooooh, marmite on white toast, followed by Galaxy dipped in tea.

PestoMonster Sun 06-Sep-09 17:19:38

I can't believe you've never had blackcurrant jam shock

I would have toast with butter & marmite for breakfast.

Heinz beans on toast are also very tasty and you definitely need to have cheddar cheese & Branston pickle sandwiches.

Robinsons barley water is the squash of choice chez Pesto, so a nice refreshing glass of that, chilled if poss.

Personally I wouldn't bother with the custard <<shudders>>

And Galaxy, well, you'll never bother with Hersheys again grin

Lulubee Sun 06-Sep-09 17:21:54

Galaxy definitely, I've tasted your American chocolate and I don't know how you stomach it. Blackcurrant jam on hot buttered toast with a cup of tea is also divine.

Cheddar cheese sandwich with Branston Pickle is very good too, although I think there are nicer pickles. Also good with ham.

GrimmaTheNome Sun 06-Sep-09 17:23:24

Cece, you presuppose a 'proper cheddar' - you'll be lucky to find that in a small town in Texas I fear!

In addition to the existing list, the store must surely stock some good dark breakfast marmalade. And some good tea - Assam or a breakfast blend and NOT Liptons. Don't suppose they can manage to import proper shortback bacon so you'll still be short of the full monty. (US bacon is a mystery to me. We could only ever find streaky which was 90%fat with a tiny strip of meat along one edge.)

When I lived in the US the one thing I really wanted by way of traditional British food was a curry with mango chutney - I think I found some sort of curry powder but no mango chutney anywhere. The other thing curiously absent from the US - given their fondness for icecream with all sorts of toppings - was Cadbury's Flakes. Someone is missing a huge trick there.

Actually, there are quite a few nice-looking English cheeses at the counter, and given my likely uneducated-with-regard-to-cheese palate, even if it isn't proper I'll probably still think it's great

Seriously, I've never had blackcurrant jam! Believe it! But have YOU had mayhaw jelly, just answer me that grin

isn't galaxy chocolate? You dip it in tea??

Hershey's is vile. Even I know that.

The marmite costs the equivalent of 7gbp for a tiny bottle. Is that a lot?

Tambajam Sun 06-Sep-09 17:33:57

I would be wary of the Galaxy. If you try it Hersheys will taste like cheap 'chocolate flavoured' cooking chocolate for ever more.

I would try a dab of marmite on hot buttered toast just because it's sooo different to anything ordinarily available in the States.

Branston pickle on a slice of cheddar in a sandwich. If no cheddar, try edam.

PestoSurfMonster Sun 06-Sep-09 17:35:48

Nope, never even heard of Mayhaw jelly!

Galaxy is chocolate and we don't usually dunk it in tea shock

£7 for marmite is extortionate

PestoSurfMonster Sun 06-Sep-09 17:36:49

Is mayhaw a berry, like a hawthorn perhaps?

[interested emoticon]

differentID Sun 06-Sep-09 17:37:06

fuck me bp, £7 is extortinate!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!shock

PestoSurfMonster Sun 06-Sep-09 17:37:35

JINX!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

EyeballsintheSky Sun 06-Sep-09 17:37:57

Marmite is expensive but not that expensive! I'll send you some for less than that!

No dark marmalade. Only Smuckers Sweet Orange: smuckers

Bacon I can't answer for, as I only know what is available to me.

As for tea, I forgot to mention that they have gotten PG Tips tea. Also have always had Twinings.

Corporalcornsilk Sun 06-Sep-09 17:38:56

galaxy and bounty mmmmm

GrimmaTheNome Sun 06-Sep-09 17:39:30

£7 for marmite shock

Though one jar will probably last you for an awfully long time. You really do need to use seriously little - less than 1/2 tsp a slice I'd say.

PestoSurfMonster Sun 06-Sep-09 17:40:43

Go on, try the marmite and report back to us!

AvadaKedavra Sun 06-Sep-09 17:42:39

You use so little Marmite for each application though, it'd last a long while (assuming you liked it that is!)

No you don't dip Galaxy into tea - well am sure someone somewhere may but...

Contents of Branston pickle is ummmm... carrots I think? Swede maybe? <confesses she doesn't really have a scooby!!>

GrimmaTheNome Sun 06-Sep-09 17:44:02

Mayhaw jelly...ok, so that'll be some sort of US hawthorn? Hawthorn jelly does exist in the UK but its used as an sauce for game not as a jam on bread. I've not had it, did once have rowanberry jelly which was nice but this is getting a bit to esoteric even for The Best Little Storehouse in Texas grin

GrimmaTheNome Sun 06-Sep-09 17:45:25

The marmite would last even longer if you don't like it! Keeps indefinitely because its so salty.

AvadaKedavra Sun 06-Sep-09 17:45:30
cariboo Sun 06-Sep-09 17:45:44

okay, here's my choice: make yourself a cheddar cheese & branston pickle sarnie, using 2 slices of wonderbread or whatever it's called these days. Gorgeous! forget the HP sauce, custard & barley water. Bisto v. useful for shepherd's pie, spag bol & other recipes requiring meat-based gravy.

differentID Sun 06-Sep-09 17:46:00

Branston pickle

Perfect with cheddar cheese and thick white bread.

5inthebed Sun 06-Sep-09 17:49:54

£7 for Marmite! Good grief! Fenwick are selling American foodstuffs, and they have Lucky charms for £7, not sure what the american equivelent is though.

I would have:

Toast with thick butter and thinly spread marmite, topped with hot Heinz beans and grated cheddar cheese. Followed by spotted dick and custard. <raids cupboards to see if I have any of the above>

ShowOfHands Sun 06-Sep-09 17:50:47

Do you not eat custard or gravy in the States? It's easy enough to just make your own tbh.

Mmm custard.

GrimmaTheNome Sun 06-Sep-09 17:51:29

You have to have the custard if you want the Spotted Dick.

I would say for niceness have some galaxy chocolate.

For excitement go for the marmite (lots of butter, very small amounts of marmite) on toast.

Branston is sandiwch pickle, it's a mixture of all sorts of things: "a variety of diced vegetables, including swede, carrots, onions, cauliflower and gherkins pickled in a sauce made from vinegar, tomato, apple and dates with spices such as mustard, coriander, garlic, cinnamon, pepper, cloves, nutmeg and cayenne pepper with sugar."

(Swede is rutabaga I believe, gherkins are the green things that might just be called 'pickles' in your tongue)

HP sauce is good for chips, but you probably have a big range of ketchup/BBQ sauce and similar so it's won't be amazingly novel.

Oh remind me not to live in the USA i couldn't live without Galaxy and Marmite and Pickle and Bounty and oh god well everything on that list really! grin

They have different gravy in the US, and IMO Bisto is nicer than any 'meat juices and cornflour' type gravy anyway.

NoahFence Sun 06-Sep-09 17:57:58

bollocks
bisto is vile

Mumcentreplus Sun 06-Sep-09 17:58:10

Beans on Toast!grin.sprinkle some cheddar on top for extra Yum Factor

I love Bisto.

Mumcentreplus Sun 06-Sep-09 17:58:52

I prefer OXO

GrimmaTheNome Sun 06-Sep-09 18:00:36

I always used to be puzzled by the ingredients list on HP sauce when I was a kid as it included 'rutabaga' - which is a term I've never heard in the UK. In fact I think I've only ever heard it on a Winnie the Pooh cartoon, being grown by Rabbit. Odd, that. Maybe they sold it abroad and thought that 'swede' might inhibit sales in Nordic lands.

colditz Sun 06-Sep-09 18:01:33

Winnie the pooh cartoons are american.

hocuspontas Sun 06-Sep-09 18:03:48

Do not let gravy granules near your food. It will taint it forever. Eurgh.

GrimmaTheNome Sun 06-Sep-09 18:03:56

Yes I know, thats why Rabbit uses the word. AA Milnes rabbit never would have!

So what was it doing on HP sauce, the most British condiment imaginable?

nooka Sun 06-Sep-09 18:08:17

The only thing that I missed in the States was blackcurrent jam (in fact good jam that wasn't Strawberry or Raspberry really). So I would buy the jam as a treat for me and me alone...

Bisto, Bird's Custard and tinned puddings are IMO not very nice convenience goods widely eaten in the UK. If you want to taste a bit of English bad cooking, then go for it, but on the whole I think they principally remind people of childhood and school dinners.

The sauces and beans you can find US equivalents, so their novelty value will be less.

The chocolate is quite funny as they are both made by an American manufacturer, just to a European spec. There are nice chocolates you can get in the States (NOT Hersheys mind) but I'm not too sure I would bother unless you are a chocolate officianado.

So that leaves Robinsons, Branston and Marmite all of which are very English and quite unlike stuff you can probably get. Personally I don't really like Branstons (I prefer Piccalilli, another weird English pickle!). Marmite is interesting, and lasts for ages, but you sure are being charged a premium (btw if you have any Aussie stores it is pretty much the same thing as Vegemite). Robinsons's is sort of posh by association (Wimbledon etc) and makes a nice drink. Where we lived in the States you couldn't really buy any cordials/squashes (only the powdered stuff which IMO is disgusting), so I missed that too, but you can make good orange/lemon cordials relatively easily at home I have discovered.

So I'd go for jam and Marmite I guess for taste, and the custard / tinned puddings for the experience!

colditz Sun 06-Sep-09 18:08:44

It's very popular in Canada as well as britain, so maybe you saw a Canadian bottle?

cece Sun 06-Sep-09 18:14:26

In case no one has told you below a Ploughmans is a traditional type meal often found in Ye Olde Pub.

Fresh crusty bread, a little pot of butter, salad leaves, tomatoes, cucumber, chunks of cheddar cheese (or sometimes stilton cheese) and a pot of Branston Pickle. All set out on a plate and you eat it partially with you hands and partially with a knife and fork as appropriate. Yum.

I think anyone with even a normal level of chocolate afficionado-ness would appreicate galaxy over hersheys. But it is dangerous if you currently think that hersheys is okay.

I had forgotten that there's no such thing as squash in America!

GrimmaTheNome Sun 06-Sep-09 18:21:15

The ploughman's may also have a pickled onion or two.

You really need some proper beer or cider to wash it down.

Bibithree Sun 06-Sep-09 18:22:05

Definitely get the Branston pickle and a good strong English cheddar, eat in crusty white bread with butter and some salad and possiby whoelgrain mustard ont he side. Yum. Yum.

Or, get the baked beans and hp sauce, beans on toast with sauce drizzed over the top - proper comfort food for me smile

£7 for Marmite is v expensive, but will be worth it IF you like it, it is truly a love it or hate it item though.

TheDMshouldbeRivened Sun 06-Sep-09 18:23:06

galaxy bar. For sure grin

GrimmaTheNome Sun 06-Sep-09 18:23:12

Two nations divided by a common language - I remember being puzzled by Beth in little women cooking something called 'squash'.

Portofino Sun 06-Sep-09 18:35:56

I'm STARVING now! Though as an Expat, the things I always buy (apart from the obvious bacon and sausages and nice cheese) are Shredded wheat, Heinz Salad Cream, Branston Pickle, Strawberry Nesquick, Robinson's Squash (dd prefers Summer Fruits but I'm an Orange and pineapple girl), Tetley Tea bags, Cravendale milk and Fray Bentos pies!

In fact it is a bit chilly today, so for dinner we are having FB S&K Pudding with mash and veg and Bisto. This is a special treat. Yum yum!

SomeGuy Sun 06-Sep-09 18:39:12

We used to have Branston pickle when living in the Americas, but it was the American version which said it contained 'rutabaga', which is a fabulous American word for swede.

You surely do not need to get in an overpriced imported shop.

hatwoman Sun 06-Sep-09 18:42:52

what a great thread. I thought, from the title, it was a Brit who was having an American come to stay and couldn't wait to cook them lots of yummy traditional British food. BananaPudding - please be aware that these are British oddities - interesting and very British and much loved - but no more representative of British food than peanut butter and jelly is of American food. Right, now I've got that off my chest: Blackcurrant jam is in a league of its own compared to the others. White bread, lots of butter. Heavenly. Other than that marmite is worth trying for the hell of it. But at £7 you might want to persuade the deli to open a sample pot - cos you may well hate it. I don't really like any of the other things - which are, let's face it, processed rubbish. Galaxies and Bounties (those plurals look weird) are pretty bog-standard chocholate snacks (but bog-standard chocolate snacks are, after all, delicious). Barley water is nothing to write home about. Bisto is revolting. As are Branston and HP sauce (you do know what HP stands for don't you?) Tinned puddings are never great. Custard is good though. It has to be the jam.

Katisha Sun 06-Sep-09 18:47:17

Quite concerned that the shop is not making it clear that you HAVE to have custard with spotted dick.

<Tries to imagine life without custard.>

No - too much to take on board.

AvadaKedavra Sun 06-Sep-09 18:47:40

vegemite and marmite are not similar tastes at all - vegemite is rank, marmite is not.

ABetaDad Sun 06-Sep-09 18:48:44

Black pudding. Fried in bacon fat and eat with grilled tomato, an egg, beans and toast.

<better not tell her what is in black pudding>

GoldenSnitch Sun 06-Sep-09 18:51:12

We ahve a shop near me that sells all sorts of American food but has no Velveeta!

It's amazing what food from another country can be made appealing just by it's distance.

I'd try the Marmite - I love the stuff - agree, very thin on white toast with lots of butter

tethersend Sun 06-Sep-09 18:52:51

Why has no-one mentioned a bacon sandwich on white bread with HP sauce?!?

It is divine.

GoldenSnitch Sun 06-Sep-09 18:55:03

Cause bacon isn't the same in America.

You can't make a decent bacon sarnie with streaky bacon

hester Sun 06-Sep-09 19:01:18

What IS Velveeta?

You should definitely try the marmite. If you don't like it on its own, try it (a VERY thin scrape) with peanut butter on toast - marvellous stuff.

Spotted dick and custard - very comforting.

Galaxy - as good as cheap chocolate gets.

catinthehat2 Sun 06-Sep-09 19:15:56

I know I am a bad person, but I like American chocolate. I really like that weird sheepy vomity cheesy taste.

OK you can shoot me now.

hester Sun 06-Sep-09 19:25:42

BananaPudding, I am heading for the US next week. What foods do you recommend I should try? grin

catinthehat - you need compassion, not condemnation. But seek help now.

eeky Sun 06-Sep-09 19:29:04

me and dh vote for a bacon sandwich (much better if you can find back bacon ie: more meat and much less fat than usual American bacon) on crusty white bread or toast, with LASHINGS of HP sauce. Good on a fried egg sandwich or with scrambled eggs too.

differentID Sun 06-Sep-09 19:30:10

catinthehat2shock

it tastes like curdled baby vomit!!!!!!

You are unclean!!!!!

OrangeFish Sun 06-Sep-09 19:32:18

I can not bring myself to eat Bounty or Galaxy bars, even being an addict to chocolate, I can't bring myself to like them, no.

Shocked at these things being considered posh....

UniS Sun 06-Sep-09 19:34:10

hestor- look out for
Root beer, try several different brands and types, they don't ALL taste quite like germolene.
Twinkies- they are grim, but remember grease..
Breakfast cereals with multi coloured cereal and marshmallows , anything that turns the milk purple has to be worth a try.

GoldenSnitch Sun 06-Sep-09 19:36:32

Velveeta is basically the same stuff as processed cheese slices but in a block - almost.

Sounds gross but my BIL makes a sort of Nacho dip with it that is delicious.

catinthehat2 Sun 06-Sep-09 19:37:13

<does arrogant and tiresome dance, lots of jaw thrusting and rotating vertical left forearm at the elbow>

HAHAHAHA

DON'T CARE

<runs off pretty quickly in case differentID is big>

tethersend Sun 06-Sep-09 20:16:36

Goldensnitch- are you kidding? It's better with streaky bacon!

catinthehat2- I do too blush Hershey kiss? Christ, that sounds filthy...blush again

abra1d Sun 06-Sep-09 20:31:23

Those aren't posh British foods, they're just processed gunk. (I like Marmite but I'd never pretend it was anything else than nice processed gunk.)

Posh(er) British food would be:

Carr's Water biscuits
Oat cakes
Dundee fruit cake
Shortbread
Marmelade
Stilton cheese
Elderflower cordial

ZippysMum Sun 06-Sep-09 20:42:17

shock at "Vegemite is much the same thing as Marmite".

Wash your mouth out!

nooka Sun 06-Sep-09 20:43:25

I do miss Elderflower cordial. You can't even make it here - I don't think Elders grown in North America. I've had to learn how to make cordials (not at all difficult though).

And real bacon... I think you can find it in Irish areas, but I've only ever seen streaky, which is basically just salty fat.

nooka Sun 06-Sep-09 20:44:35

Oh and apologies! I really thought they were pretty much the same thing. In my defense I don't really like either (I'm a Bovril girl myself) and my Australia BIL has never spoken about the difference.

GoldenSnitch Sun 06-Sep-09 20:45:41

tethersend - of course I'm not kidding! As Nooka said, American streaky bacon is 90% fat so you'd have no meat for your sandwich - just fat and sauce - yuk!

ZippysMum Sun 06-Sep-09 20:50:40

Aaah Nooka, you are forgiven.

Vegemite is much more 'yeasty' than Marmite, and Vegemite has a strange aftertaste of something like gravy. And it has with a slightly coarser texture (Marmite is very, very smooth.) And it needs to be applied a little more thickly than Marmite.

Do I spend too much time with condiments? grin

ByTheSea Sun 06-Sep-09 20:56:05

I'm an American who's lived in the UK for over 12 years now. Of all those things, the only edible one IMO is the galaxy bar. Bounty is just like a Mounds bar. Bisto granules are okay if you can't be asked to make homemade gravy. I find anything blackcurrant to be an acquired taste and it took me ages to get used to it and not expect purple candy to taste like grapes.

Actually hatwoman has a good point - ask the store to open a jar of marmite and lots of toast and sample it - they'll probably sell loads. In the UK the adverts for it play on the fact that you either absolutely hate it or really love it.

I'd go for Galaxy (although agree you'll never look back so could be dangerous) and some blackcurrent jam on white bread - thick, hand cut, crusty white bread.

Oh and marmite on thin, precut, toasted white bread (thickness of bread is vital grin)

Actually if you have a breakfast fry up HP sauce is a must.

Okay have just had a galaxy (go for the chocolate first). Why was the chocolate an almost chewy texture? It seemed I had to chew it into submission before it would get melty. Was it gone off?

tethersend Sun 06-Sep-09 21:17:11

mmmm.... (crispy) fat and sauce....

We'll have to agree to disagree on that one, goldensnitch wink

As i remember it American chocolate is quite brittle - less milk I think so maybe Galaxy tastes chewier to you. Doubt it's off.

did you like it though?

mellifluouscauliflower Sun 06-Sep-09 21:49:17

I think all dairy products in the UK are richer than US (including the milk chocolate). I think it's something to do with the large quantity of rain creating all that lush green grass which then makes the milk taste different.

To be honest, Galaxy is a bit more of an errm..comfort.. product than a gourmet thing.

You could try Green & Black's or Charbonnel & Walker which are both more upmarket UK chocolate brands.

Katisha Sun 06-Sep-09 22:10:58

Oh no she's going to hate the custard - I know it...

Yeah, the 7 pound Marmite is common here. I tend to order from britishcornershop.com which I find much cheaper than the imported stuff in supermarkets.

OP, I buy in loads of bisto and make stews in my crockpot. Brown onions and some steak tips or chicken , add veggies and then you just mix up some bisto with cold water in a cup and add that. I tend to put a big spoonful of marmite in too. Very tasty!

I struggle because casseroles etc. all seem to be based on mushroom soup which I'm allergic to

mathanxiety Mon 07-Sep-09 04:28:36

Blackcurrant jam!!!!!! Oh what a lucky MNer you are!!!! There used to be no blackcurrant jam or blackcurrant drink in the US..Everything purple is grape flavoured. So disappointing. I was overjoyed when I found out that Polish and East European groceries usually stock blackcurrant this and that grin
Marmite on thick toasted bread with butter, yum. It's the breakfast of champions smile

mathanxiety Mon 07-Sep-09 04:34:30

What is Velveeta? Actually that's a very good question. Nobody knows.

mathanxiety Mon 07-Sep-09 04:46:51

Hester, when you get back from the US you will smack anyone who dares criticises British food. The only good thing I ever ate was a bacon, lettuce and tomato sandwich (and that only with Irish bacon). I acquired a taste for all foods (and drinks wink Polish, Russian and East European in Chicago...

Cheddar with Branston is a must.
Followed by a galaxy bar.

Would not pay £7 for a jar of marmite. You can get a large jar over here for £2.67

Cheddar with Branston is a must.
Followed by a galaxy bar.

Would not pay £7 for a jar of marmite. You can get a large jar over here for £2.67

hatwoman Mon 07-Sep-09 09:51:52

dh didn't believe me about the blackcurrant jam. do they not grow blackcurrants in the states?

MmeLindt Mon 07-Sep-09 11:01:35

Get the PG Tipps, much better than Twinnings.

Perhaps you could give the owner of the grocery store a list, for the next order he puts in to the importer.

I would ask him to get:

Proper Cheddar (if he does not sell that already)

Weetabix

Salt and Vinegar/Cheese and Onion crisps

Digestive biscuits

HobNob biscuits

Cadbury's Hot Chocolate

Cadbury's Curly Wurly bar

No idea if these products are available in US, but they are the ones that I buy if I find them in the supermarkets in France/Switzerland.

ib Mon 07-Sep-09 11:09:06

I think it's only fair to warn you that all of the above foods (except the blackcurrant jam) are very much acquired tastes, and if you haven't been eating them since you were a child, you may well find them .... well.... pretty grim.

Katisha Mon 07-Sep-09 11:12:49

How anyone not love custard?

ben5 Mon 07-Sep-09 11:57:00

birds custard yummy on spotty dick!! or jam roly poly!!

GrimmaTheNome Mon 07-Sep-09 12:02:52

No blackcurrants shock - then add Ribena to the list! And as I mentioned before, Cadbury's Flakes. Apart from sticking them into icecream to make 99s, you need them to decorate the trifles you'll want to make with some of that custard.

Sigh. Its actually ages since I had any custard, though I have had a few 99s this summer.

Def PG Tips Teabags.

can't stand custard, although DD & DP eat it cold - bleurgh.

hatwoman Mon 07-Sep-09 12:38:40

noooo. not PG tips tea bags. If you want a good cup of tea you need good quality loose-leaf Assam, a tea pot, and a lesson in tea-making.

Hatwomen - sounds like to much work LOL!

PG tips each time in this household grin

Katisha Mon 07-Sep-09 12:55:38

Hatwoman is right. It takes no more time to warm the pot, bung in some loose tea and put boiling water on than it does to fart about trying to squash teabags and get them out of the mug without dripping tea all over the kitchen!
You can also have several cups of tea out of the same teapot then without having to either squash used teabags further or get new ones!

You prob are right.

I have a teapot too, just never used it!

nappyaddict Mon 07-Sep-09 13:04:09

I would try blackcurrant jam, beans and pickle.

I'm a Canadian in London. Most of that 'food' is gross. I'm with the Brits on the bacon - everyone here eats back bacon (or Canadian bacon. Or peameal?), not the normal American stuff.

Branston pickle and marmite are both really really gross.

Brown sauce is gross and troubling: since when was 'brown' a flavour?

nappyaddict Mon 07-Sep-09 13:07:42

I prefer Twinings breakfast tea to PG tips but like loose tea better than both.

Do you have vimto in the states?

MmeLindt Mon 07-Sep-09 13:10:27

Nonono, real tea is the stuff that the foreigners think that the Brits drink.

My guests in Germany were always really disappointed to see me bung a couple tea bags in the pot (no pot warming nonsence here) until they tasted the tea. They thought that having a Brit prepare tea meant a complicated ceremony, not PG Tipps.

EyeballsintheSky Mon 07-Sep-09 13:12:23

How the hell can Galazy, Bounty and Robinson's Barley water be an acquired taste? Caviar is an acquired taste. Olives are an acquired taste.

Katisha Mon 07-Sep-09 13:16:58

I used to be cynical about pot warming, but have found that it does improve the taste of the tea.

How is putting loose tea in a teapot which you have just swilled out with a bit of the boiling water a complicated ceremony?

Hate hate hate being given a cup with a tea bag floating about in it.

Harrumph.

I don't know what barley water is. Yeah, Galaxy is fine, ditto Bounty (if you like coconut) but they're hardly great chocolate are they?

midnightexpress Mon 07-Sep-09 13:19:39

Blackcurrant is the King of Jams! On crusty white bread with butter. Yum. Do you not have blackcurrants in the US? Gosh, who knew?

Marmite at £7 a pop would be an expensive mistake if you hate it, but the start of a beautiful friendship if you like it.

And if you can get hold of proper bacon (even streaky, I would say) a sandwich with HP sauce, bacon and a sliced tomato is Sunday breakfast heaven, as long as you have a good strong mug of tea (do not use a cup and saucer)and a Sunday paper to go with it.

Likewise, beans on toast (buttered toast) is teatime food par excellence. Preferably served on a plate on your knee in front of some Saturday evening telly.

A home made spotted dick would be far preferable to a tinned one, though the custard has a multitude of uses (apple crumble, apple pie, syrup sponge...)

<burp>

motherbeyond Mon 07-Sep-09 13:20:52

get beans and the gravy,then you can make cottage pie and have it with beans and broccoli and pour gravy all over... yummy!galaxy for afters!

notquiteacockney sory to hijack this thread but am in need of some advice re moving to canada/quebec...would appreciate some inside info?!!would you mind emailing me?gallagher_family@hotmail.com....would be very grateful!

Sure, will email you, I'm good on Quebec.

GetOrfMoiLand Mon 07-Sep-09 13:38:05

What a great thread.

OP - if Texans are currently laughing at the concept of Spotted Dick, ask the shop to start stocking Brain's Faggots, that'll get them talking!

Oh love Branstons pickle. Agree a sandwich with this with strong cheddar and crusty bread is heaven.

Surprised there is no squash in America.

My brother lives in California, and the only thing he misses is slices of beetroot in vinegar. He takes several big jars of it bakc when he comes to visit.

I sent his girlfriend's kids a box of UK sweets some time ago - rhubarb & custard, cola cubes, fizzy cola bottles, chocolate brazils, kinder chocs, lemon bon bons, sherbet pips and the like. They were both bemused and entranced!

GetOrfMoiLand Mon 07-Sep-09 13:39:44
motherbeyond Mon 07-Sep-09 13:52:21

forgot op..you have to get the hp sauce to put in the mince and gravy when you make your cottage pie!

ooh,good notquite cheers,look forward to it1dh desperate to move,i'm gonna need some convincing!

thereistheball Mon 07-Sep-09 13:57:14

Why not invite some people over for afternoon tea? From your shop you will need the Marmite, PG Tips and blackcurrant jam.

Mix the Marmite together with room temp butter (unsalted) until you get an evenly-coloured spreadable brown gloop. Spread onto white sliced bread cut into triangles with the crusts off. (If you tried spreading Marmite straight onto untoasted bread without doing this you'd tear the bread, which is why it's most commonly eaten on toast.) Eat the Marmite sandwiches with some cucumber sandwiches (white bread, salted butter, peeled and cored cucumber sliced as thinly as possible) cut into triangles in the same way. Drink with PG Tips. Follow with scones and blackcurrant jam.

Branston pickle certainly requires proper cheddar. Marmite also works well with grilled cheddar cheese.

Are they milk chocolate (blue packaging) or plain chocolate (red packaging) Bounties? Red much nicer inho.

CurlyQueen Mon 07-Sep-09 13:59:06

It's not the making of loose-leaf tea that's a hassle, it's the cleaning of the teapot afterwards.

Katisha Mon 07-Sep-09 14:03:57

You clean your teapot??

I just chuck the old tea down the sink, swill it out and that's that.

PolkSaladLucie Mon 07-Sep-09 14:14:14

Marmite is vile!!!!

dudesmum Mon 07-Sep-09 14:21:13

Go for the Bounty grin

Momino Mon 07-Sep-09 14:26:25

banannapudding, american baked beans are usually flavoured with a chunk of bacon fat (blech) and have brown sugar and other weird flavours. british baked beans are simply tomato sauce and beans. great over toast with grated cheddar. when I go back to visit my family, I can't eat baked beans anymore.

also, custard is lovely. it's most similar to pudding packets i remember when i was little.

being in the UK for 12 years, I miss Root beer, proper ranch dressing (my mom sends loads of Hidden Valley mixes), proper tex mex food.

Momino, I bought Root Beer from Asda only last week. You can get it here, but it's not that common.

stringerbell Mon 07-Sep-09 14:36:01

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Momino Mon 07-Sep-09 14:38:23

ah yes, forgot about Pepperidge goldfish, my dd's love them.
lyra, really? root beer at Asda? I'm going to have to see if ours has it. i love root beer.

OrmIrian Mon 07-Sep-09 14:40:01

Marmite.
Baked beans
Blackcurrant jam
Galaxy
Bird's custard.

stringerbell Mon 07-Sep-09 14:46:48

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

NoahFence Mon 07-Sep-09 14:47:18

iced tea is vile isnt it

Madsometimes Mon 07-Sep-09 14:47:31

Lucozade just reminds me of when I was sick as a child. My mum used to always buy me a bottle of it to aid with convalescence. It has never occurred to me to buy lucozade for a sick child, but I have bought Minadex (which they first loved and then hated).

Madsometimes Mon 07-Sep-09 14:48:20

Galaxy is lovely, but surely Cadbury's Dairy Milk is better.

Katisha Mon 07-Sep-09 14:48:31

Iced tea IS vile, but iced coffee is divine, unless made with too many ice cubes which dilute it too much.

NoahFence Mon 07-Sep-09 14:49:08

i am a cofffe and chocolate snob and wont drink instant of cadburys crap

Katisha Mon 07-Sep-09 14:52:33

Quite right.

GetOrfMoiLand Mon 07-Sep-09 14:53:25

Yes you can get root bear in Asda. DD always asks for it, purely because it is American. Also Oreo cookies and Reese's peanut thingies.

My brother bought a big bucket of pink stuff called Fluff when he came over from America once. Gawd knows what is in it. DD loved it anyway.

Do they still do Lucky Charms in America? They used to do those in the UK - it was a cereal which was basically sweets. Think it was banned because used to make kids hyper (I loved it).

NoahFence Mon 07-Sep-09 14:53:52

you can get fluff in teh UK

GetOrfMoiLand Mon 07-Sep-09 14:54:55

Can you? Never seen it (thankfully neither has DD).

Yes, I have some in my fridge as I type.
Asda's owned by Walmart and they have all kinds of American foodstuffs.

LadyoftheBathtub Mon 07-Sep-09 15:00:09

Just to go back to op... if I was in the US, as a Brit, and came across this cache I think I would be most excited about the branston pickle. Make cheese on toast and blob it on top. Or, baked potatoes with butter and cheese, and big spoonful branston in the middle.

American chocolate is vile, vile, vile. hershey's tastes like dust off a garage floor.

nappyaddict Mon 07-Sep-09 15:37:26

What you really want to try are a Cadbury's Boost, Wispa Gold and Double Decker.

mosschops30 Mon 07-Sep-09 15:50:39

You really cant have any other baked beans than Heinz ...in fact it should be illegal to sell them, its the one thing I would never compromise on, would rather not have beans at all!!

After that go for the branston pickle, with some strong cheddar in a sandwich smile

This thread is making me think that beans and cheese on toast for dinner is a good choice grin

Carameli Mon 07-Sep-09 16:01:55

shocked at the cost of £7 for marmite
branston yummy and galaxy just perfect with a cup of tea.

littlerach Mon 07-Sep-09 16:04:42

You can buy Fluff in waitrose.

My ILs have just moved back here after 17 yrs in US and are so excited about Branston pickle, Heinz tomato soup and Hellmann's.
Not to mention the chocolate.

Is American chocolate really that bad?

LadyoftheBathtub Mon 07-Sep-09 16:20:32

Oh lyra you have to try it!

Actually reese's pieces are edible. But hersheys - what they must put in it I cannot imagine. It does not taste like cocoa, fat or sugar. It's weird and awful.

I'm sure they sell Hersheys in Asda or Sainsbury's. I'm scared to try it now grin

LifeOfKate Mon 07-Sep-09 16:21:41

Mmm, after this thread, I am definitely having beans on toast with grated cheese on top
I've never had american chocolate, but I have to say I prefer cadbury's to galaxy... I find galaxy a bit sweet and milky...

I find Galaxy too sweet too. Cadbury's Dairy Milk for me.
I'm off to make cheese-topped beans on toast for the DC...

CuilleredArgent Mon 07-Sep-09 16:34:48

someone told me once that they put something in american (and possibly aussie) chocolate to stop it melting int he shop (not really a prob here in uk). if you're used to tasting the chemical then you don't notice it, but if you aren't (like us brits) then it's hard to get used to.

oxfam divine chocolate is one of the best imo - much less cloying than cadbury's and galaxy

mmmmm marmite

boak at bisto

feel very very sorry for americans missing out on blackcurrants!

5inthebed Mon 07-Sep-09 16:35:08

I disagree mosschops, Branston beans are so much nicer than Heinz!

Op, have you bought any marmite yet

mosschops30 Mon 07-Sep-09 17:11:47

5inthebed YOURE WRONG!!!!!! grin

Thunderduck Mon 07-Sep-09 17:14:22

Root beer is vile. It's like drinking liquid Germolene.

mathanxiety Mon 07-Sep-09 17:27:36

I thought root beer tasted like Irish toothpaste. I don't see why anyone would ever want to drink it. As for Hersheys? Drywall dust plus 'brown'. I knew something was seriously wrong with the US when I discovered there was no such thing as blackcurrant anything there; my next clue was Ronald Reagan was president. smile

GoldenSnitch Mon 07-Sep-09 17:31:01

Root beer is vile but Mountain Dew is yummy

And if you're gonna have custard, make it Ambrosia!!

Mosschops, I find Sainsbury's own-brand baked beans most acceptable. Heinz can go a bit mushy.

CheerfulYank Mon 07-Sep-09 17:39:07

Mountain Dew over Rootbeer! Hell you say, Goldensnitch!

pooexplosions Mon 07-Sep-09 17:39:53

How does Irish toothpaste differ from British toothpaste?

Speaking of Ireland, when I first moved here from the UK in the mid nineties, there were so many things I couldn't get here! No walkers crisps for a start! Then Tesco arrived in 98 and lots of things started appearing, but its only in the last 6 months that I can find crumpets and Vimto! Bread products is the hardest for sure, Ireland is not big on toasted teacakes, there are no pikelets or chelsea buns, and no Greggs style pasties and sausage rolls either! And no cherry coke or Dr Pepper. And the butter tastes funny too....

Mmmmm, Ambrosia (full fat, none of this 'light' malarky)
I have a can in the larder...

Bleh Mon 07-Sep-09 17:47:39

Cuillered: I think they put that in British chocolate as well, based on the fact that Swiss chocolate melts very quickly when out of the fridge, but you can leave a galaxy or whatever out for ages and it doesn't melt.

GetOrfMoiLand Mon 07-Sep-09 17:53:27

Would prefer Lindt Lindor bars to Galaxy.

Second the loathing for Hershey's - tastes like cooking chocolate. Reese Nutrageous possible the most gorgeous confection known to man - chocolate and salty peanuts, yum. Am so horrified pleased that these are now sold in Tesco.

MmeLindt Mon 07-Sep-09 18:02:21

<ahem>

<joins chocolate debate>

It has to be Swiss choc or Belgian choc. I absolutely adore Godiva. And Dolfin Earl Grey chocolate. Yummy.

I don't like Cadbury's as much now, my tastes have been corrupted by the Swiss choc. Have never tried American choc, but we got some American candy last year at Halloween. Even the DC would not touch it.

CheerfulYank Mon 07-Sep-09 18:02:31

I was confused for the longest time by the phrase "pudding"...here it means only what I guess you'd call custard.

GoldenSnitch Mon 07-Sep-09 18:05:21

Luckily, the shop in the city center sells both normal Mountain Dew and Code Red, ooh and Tab Clear too.

It's £1.20 a can but it's good for a treat

catinthehat2 Mon 07-Sep-09 18:13:02

Well hang on just a little minute there Cheerful Yank...where exactly are you??

Broadly, in the UK,custard is custard,pudding is dessert

So where the blue blazes does pudding=custard?

Are you in the 13th dimension with Stephen Hawking?

MmeLindt Mon 07-Sep-09 18:14:30

Vanille Pudding = Custard in Germany

and Schokopudding is a kind of chocolate custard.

GoldenSnitch Mon 07-Sep-09 18:15:40

I always though American "pudding" was more of a mousse/blancmange type thing?

Custard is not pudding. It is an accompanyment to a Pudding

catinthehat2 Mon 07-Sep-09 18:15:59

OK you're just messing with my head now.

But yes that does ring some bells <grudging>

NoahFence Mon 07-Sep-09 18:16:34

CALLING all american chocolate lovers

hotel chocolat now has a "hub" (!) in Boston so you can send stuff to american mates

5inthebed Mon 07-Sep-09 18:19:28

mosschops there is only one way to settle this

FIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHTTTTTTTT

grin

mosschops30 Mon 07-Sep-09 18:36:20

<mosschops rolls up sleeves and spits on floor> grin

I'll take you and Lyra on together with your cheap imitation beans grin

Momino Mon 07-Sep-09 18:45:25

i'm in the uk but am american. there, pudding=custardy mousse type dessert that could be vanilla, choc or other flavours.

hershey's is disgusting but i never noticed the sour milk taste that so many talk about because i grew up on it. the taste has much to do with the milk from where it comes.

lyra, i really like sainsbury's baked beans.

<lobs can of Sainsburys baked beans at Mosschops, hitting her right betwen the eyes>
I fight dirty, Mosschops grin

Hotwl Chocolat chocolate is overpriced, over-sweetened rubbish if you ask me.

There are far nicer chocolatiers out there.

Momino Mon 07-Sep-09 19:05:15

l'artisan du chocolat... salted caramels mmmm

mosschops30 Mon 07-Sep-09 19:06:59

you might fight dirty love, but you still eat shite beans wink

5inthebed Mon 07-Sep-09 19:07:46

Hahaha!

Mosschops, you've made my day with that quote!

Wolfcub Mon 07-Sep-09 19:08:41

I'd vote for Marmite and Bounty

gingernutlover Mon 07-Sep-09 19:19:51

dont bother with galaxy chocolate - yuk, dairy milk rules!

differentID Mon 07-Sep-09 19:20:29

I don't know galaxy is fine in small quantities- it's very rich.

GoldenSnitch Mon 07-Sep-09 19:31:26

I just had a choc dip - now there is British chocolate at it's best grin

differentID Mon 07-Sep-09 19:42:24

was it thye milk choc dip or the white choc? I love the toffee one as well!

GoldenSnitch Mon 07-Sep-09 20:10:10

Milk choc

edam Mon 07-Sep-09 20:19:46

Banana, come back and tell us how you got on with everything else! Did you try the Marmite?

Sorry I've been away so long, this thread blasted off in my absence! I'm on break at the moment (love my iPhone, I can mn anywhere) so only a quick one for me.

I work at the local store that is selling this stuff, I do all the pricing(don't set prices, only change and fix). I didn't much like the galaxy, but today we got.....Geean & Blacks!!! YUM!

Hershey's is nasty because it has paraffin wax added for stability and a boatload of sugar.

Next up to try is the Marmite, but I have to wait until Friday when I am paid.

Honestly, I think there are no blackcurrant in this country. Certainly nothing is flavored with it. As others have said, everything purple is grape.

This morning before starting work I went arou d the store taking pictures [sad aren't I] of a few us foods I like but mostly pics of truly vile American foods that are very normal and popular. I'll post them when I get home

and velveeta is artificially flavored bright orange squidgy plastic masquerading as cheese!

crankytwanky Mon 07-Sep-09 20:35:12

Is she in bed now?

Can you get horlicks in the states, do you think?

The idea of an afternoon tea is excellent. You'll need crumpets though. Are they called English Muffins there, or are muffins called English muffins?

DH worked as a chef in the states, and said you just couldn't get good cheese anywhere. They have cheese in a can forchristsakes!

The ploughmans could be served with ham instead of cheese, if that's your bag. Can you get "good ham"? grin

crankytwanky Mon 07-Sep-09 20:38:43

shock parafin!!

edam Mon 07-Sep-09 20:48:00

yeah, what is the problem with cheese over there? Surely they have lots of dairy farms in Vermont - does no-one turn that milk into actual proper cheese?

Am giggling at Banana being confused by the taste of Galaxy. Green & Blacks must be very heaven after Hershey's!

siouxsieandthebanshees Mon 07-Sep-09 20:55:00

Green and Blacks is my idea of heaven.

Tortington Mon 07-Sep-09 20:57:56

they need ti import meat and potato pies.

you also should try chips ( or fries thick real potato ones) with gravy.

i thank you

purpleduck Mon 07-Sep-09 21:18:37

"I find anything blackcurrant to be an acquired taste and it took me ages to get used to it and not expect purple candy to taste like grapes."
YES!! I know Bythesea!! Its so disappointing to have NOTHING grape here!!

And whoever loved Clamato ....you can sometimes get it in Waitrose ...mmmmmm!!!

Custardo - pop some grated cheese on those fries and gravy and you have gastronomic heaven!!

differentID Mon 07-Sep-09 21:26:29

purple duck, keep the gravy and just the cheese is even better- much easier to eat with your fingers.

zippy539 Mon 07-Sep-09 21:34:18

OMG - I can't believe no one has recommended Heinz Fruity sauce - there is nothing like it to go with sausage, bacon, egg and toast.

Infact had a crisis here over the weekend because we'd run out! GO BUY!!!!

Saw earlier someone said "you do know what hp means, don't you?" about the brown sauce. Educate me?

Honestly don't know what would happen if we started selling something called faggots. Mass hysteria and boycotting, most likely.

Is Heinz fruity sauce the hp thing? We have fruity as well as brown of the hp stuff.

purpleduck Mon 07-Sep-09 21:50:36

ID, I'll have almost anthing with cheese.

mmmm cheesy chips with coarse pepper
[slurp]

Seriously though - try it with gravy

I like those big thick fries with chili and cheddar. Mmmmmmmmmmmm.

differentID Mon 07-Sep-09 22:01:19

I don't like gravy with chips anyway, so I'll pass thanks PD!smile

Lol @ faggots boycott.

liath Mon 07-Sep-09 22:02:08

"Since when was brown a flavour?"

PMSL grin, quote of the week to NQC I think.

So is American chocolate on a par with Australian chocolate then? <yak>

5inthebed Mon 07-Sep-09 22:02:38

Butterscotch Green & Blacks <drools>

So we are all go for Marmite Friday then BP?

victoriascrumptious Mon 07-Sep-09 22:07:23

Cant believe they don't eat marmite in America. I'm shocked at that

OmicronPersei8 Mon 07-Sep-09 22:14:58

When can we get an update on your tasting progress BananaPudding? This is the most excitement I've had today - you're a marmite virgin and I get to share in the big moment!

GoldenSnitch Mon 07-Sep-09 22:20:52

I've got a jar of Marmite in the cupboard - we could all have Marmite Friday together?

differentID Mon 07-Sep-09 22:23:53

No Marmite Friday

Marmite yucky

Bad marmite, plergh!

MilaMae Mon 07-Sep-09 22:28:35

Hershey's tastes like sick I'll never understand why a country as huge and powerful as the US put up with it.

We usually spend our summers in US. DSs love Mount'n Doo, & root beer. I would recommend the Branston Fruity sauce, but only if you can find some Canadian back bacon. Fry several rashers, mop up the bacon fat with 2 thick slices of bread, put the bacon inside, add Branston Fruity - yum, think I'll have myself a bacon sarni for breakfast. Monterey Jack cheese would be a good stand in for cheddar.

HP stands for Houses of Parliament - the spicy sauce has a picture of them on the front. Flat muffins are called English muffins in the states. Muffins are those cakey things that often have blueberries in.

Every day's a Marmite day in this household.

edam Mon 07-Sep-09 22:34:54

So, if Kraft do succeed in taking over dear old Cadbury's, does that mean they will abolish English milk chocolate and Green & Blacks and make us eat horrible American stuff? <panics>

I dunno, what the hell happened to make a firm started by a bunch of Quakers end up in a deal making megabucks for the sort of tossers who brought capitalism to its very knees?

Nestle <spit> already got Rowntrees (and Mackintosh's toffees). What's left?

Thunderduck Mon 07-Sep-09 22:34:57

I'm shocked that anyone would want to eat Marmite.

differentID Mon 07-Sep-09 22:44:03

Edam, cadbury's turned down £10.2billion. I think we'll be ok for a while.

abroadandmisunderstood Mon 07-Sep-09 22:53:12

I am drooling over here in Germany. We are existing on Marmite air because the jar is empty. I miss Cadbury's chocolate more than my family. I wake in the middle of the night in a cold sweat that the PG Tips are going to run out soon.

You lucky lucky thing, bloody yanks ( meant in a nice but jealous way)

ThingumyandBob Mon 07-Sep-09 22:56:00

£7 for marmite!!! It’s good, but it’s not as good as Galaxy! Or as nice as HP brown sauce on a cooked breakfast with Heinz baked beans on the side followed by Blackcurrent jam on toast. HmHmHmmmm.

PictureThis Mon 07-Sep-09 23:03:05

I love love love marmite. DH hates it with a passion. I have got DD to like marmite on toast much to DH's disgust.
I have to have it spread thinly on cold toast (so that the butter doesn't melt)...YUMMMM

edam Mon 07-Sep-09 23:03:13

different, I fear it's just the opening gambit and Kraft (makers of Cheez Whiz, fgs or someone else will come back with a better offer.

Lost my whole stinking post into the ether and I'm too cranky to do it all over again.

I am on for Marmite Friday. Does this mean that it will be a Marmite and bumsex Friday? That may be a little too kinky even for me grin I am a Marmite virgin, after all.

Question: what is a rasher?

Also discovered Maltesers and Hobnobs today. And cans of Ambrosia custard and devon cream.

Here is a link to my Photobucket with all the pictures of strange American food. I was going to title the "love it" or "vile" but I'm too tired to follow through. So you all will have to guess which of all those things I will actually eat!

I also threw in a pic of my dd because I think she is adorable

www.Photobucket.com/americanfood

differentID Mon 07-Sep-09 23:06:39

HP brown and fruity sauces are disgusting.
A bacon sarnie must never be sullied by these inferior sauces.
Crusty bread, (English) streaky bacon, lashings of butter and slices of fresh tomato. That's all you need.

Edam, check how many products I've shown are kraft! I've even got Cheez whiz in there!

edam Mon 07-Sep-09 23:08:35

STOP! Do not in any way get marmite involved in bum sex. It will sting. <ouch>

Bananapudding, Hob Nobs are the king of biscuits. Maltesers are lovely but Ambrosia custard is pure deliciousness.

Do most Americans eat cheese out of a can/jar?

edam Mon 07-Sep-09 23:10:54

Banana, I know, was just highlighting Whizz as the most ludicrous.

Should the nation that peddles Hershey's as chocolate be allowed anywhere near Cadbury's? shock

differentID Mon 07-Sep-09 23:11:03

Edam, have you tried it with marmite then? Experienced the burn,so to speak?

Edam, I agree, there is more to come with this Cadbury/Kraft thing.
Presumably they'll keep the product lines the same, won't they? <prays they leave Fruit and Nut unchanged>

edam Mon 07-Sep-09 23:14:17

grin

Nope, have just eaten enough Marmite to suspect that it would sting if used for other applications... doesn't it contain about 1g of salt per 0.99g of spread?

differentID Mon 07-Sep-09 23:15:20

no idea- I've banned th eM-word from the house.

How can anyone hate Marmite, it's a food of the Gods.

edam Mon 07-Sep-09 23:17:42

Oh, I'm prepared to lose the fruit and nut as the first pawn in US/UK confectionary war.

Actually, am sure we could create a workable conspiracy theory about this - maybe the Yanks are trying to take our chocolate in revenge for the Scots letting Al-Megrahi go?

Bananapudding, all those products on your Photobucket (except your DD grin) look vile. Processed crap.

edam Mon 07-Sep-09 23:18:53

(I think Marmite is the converse of all those products that warn 'for external application only'...)

You blaspheme, Edam. How can you be prepared to lose the Fruit and Nut? <scratches head in wonderment>

Americans eat cheese that is not from a jar or can. Mostly it is Kraft cheese, but is not completely processed and artificial. I've been made to try Cheez whiz and easy cheese once each and they are both hideous. DH likes them both [gag]

edam Mon 07-Sep-09 23:22:26

shhhhh! It's strategy...

GrimmaTheNome Mon 07-Sep-09 23:22:45

I don't know if its still the case, but when I lived in the US at the start of the 90's the major brands of milk chocolate (eg Hersheys) had peanuts as an ingredient. I assumed that's what gave it the weird taste. Ugh.

Just discovered (while trying to google to see if they still had peanut hidden in there) that Hersheys has a license to manufacture Cadbury's brands in the US. Royal Dark?hmm - presumably Bournville rebranded for those with no appreciation of the importance of this Birmingham suburb. I used to take the train from Bournville station to the uni every day for two years....oh, the wonderful smell! And then I moved to York and drove by the Rowntrees factory

Not completely processed implies some degree of processing, no?

Leave the Fruit and Nut out of the strategy. Surely there are other products that can be sacrificed?

edam Mon 07-Sep-09 23:25:23

Does Kraft cheese look like this? Or this?

Grimma, you seem to be following the chocolate manufacturers around the country.

I doubt it Edam.

Yes, the cheese that the majority of America buys is in my opinion "somewhat" processed. By that I mean more than say, small farm artisan cheddar, but far far far less than velveeta which is still considered to be a "cheese food".

More like this I suspect.

edam Mon 07-Sep-09 23:27:37

Lyra, no, because I'm in charge of strategy here and I hate Fruit N Nut! grin

We need a picture, bananapudding. Branston Pickle won't work with just any old cheese product.

Please explain, in detail, how anyone can hate Fruit and Nut. <refuses to believe it's possible>

edam Mon 07-Sep-09 23:29:40

'cheese food'? <faints> I really don't want to know what that is about!

edam Mon 07-Sep-09 23:31:33

Um, I know chocolate raisins are nice. And chocolate with nuts inside is nice (if it's an individual posh chocolate, not a bar). But a chocolate bar with raisins and nuts in it is just horrible IMO.

Not 1/100th as horrible as Hershey's though.

GrimmaTheNome Mon 07-Sep-09 23:31:42

I've escaped to Lancashire - no local chocolate AFAIK. None within scenting range anyhow. Lots of curranty things to eat with a cuppa though - Eccles cakes, Chorley cakes, Goosnargh cakes... ok, ok, most of you will only ever have heard of Eccles but shouldn't we be trying to sell those to the Americans? grin

differentID Mon 07-Sep-09 23:32:38

probably the closest cheese you can get to cheddar in the us is Colby cheese

edam Mon 07-Sep-09 23:34:05

Grimma, do you realise that in order to keep the theme going you will one day find yourself drawn to move to Slough, home of the Mars factory? grin

GrimmaTheNome Mon 07-Sep-09 23:34:59

Edam, do you really think we're going to bow to the gustatory opinions of someone named after a mild rubbery Dutch cheese? grin

Edam, your cheese pic was really good cheese.
Lyra, your pic was really crappy American singles.

This is what I meant kraft cheese See how it's in the middle of yours?

I'm rather partial to a piece of Edam.

Kind of. It looks like processed cheese shaped into triangles. grin
what time is it over there bananapudding?

edam Mon 07-Sep-09 23:39:47

good grief, they have to label it as 'natural' cheese? (Actually doesn't look terribly natural to me, am guessing the journey from cow to supermarket shelf is far from straightforward.)

Momino Mon 07-Sep-09 23:39:49

they do have cheddar in the US. but it's called 'sharp' cheddar (rather than 'mature').

5:40pm.

I do have access to the type of cheese Edam has shown, it's just not as most popularly consumed as kraft or the vile American singles!

GrimmaTheNome Mon 07-Sep-09 23:41:50

Wait a mo - Kraft sell Cracker Barrel canadian cheddar in the UK (coals to Newcastle!) - I haven't had it for ages but iirc the strongest versions are quite good. If that (or some other canadian cheddar) is available in the US that may be a decent cheese to go with that Branston, even if it does come in a stick.

edam Mon 07-Sep-09 23:41:52

Lyra, is that a counter-attack in return for my admission on fruit and nut? grin

And Grimma, oddly enough Edam is one of the very few cheeses I don't like. Along with Stilton.

Momino Mon 07-Sep-09 23:43:24

Grimma, canada make excellent cheddar but a lot of it is unpasteurised which I don't think is allowed in the US.

edam Mon 07-Sep-09 23:44:08

ooh, Banana, just thought, maybe you could persuade your shop to import some Wensleydale and some English fruit cake (or Welsh Bara Brith). You eat them together. And then feel very, very contented.

No, I do like Edam (the cheese, not you wink). Ds1 is also very partial. DS2 prefers Cheestrings hmm

Momino Mon 07-Sep-09 23:44:59

bananapudding should be able to find craker barrel white cheddar, defn a match for branston.

While I'm at it, here is a picture of banana pudding. It is so delish that I named myself after it

banana pudding

pudding is a type of custardy thing. What you call pudding we call dessert.

Looks like a trifle to me.
We call dessert dessert, pudding, afters. Many different names for the same thing.

mathanxiety Mon 07-Sep-09 23:49:22

Royal Dark is nothing like Bournville, sad.

GrimmaTheNome Mon 07-Sep-09 23:49:41

Americans seem not to understand fruit cake (or xmas pudding). Its most odd.

Momino Mon 07-Sep-09 23:51:42

i hate christmas pudding. and what's that stuff called bread sauce?

I don't understand Christmas pudding. Sweet, icky, yuk.

Urgh, bread sauce (puke).

mathanxiety Mon 07-Sep-09 23:52:21

Oh no, Colby cheese is nothing like cheddar. It's bland -- the cheese equivalent of Hersheys. A lot of shops carry Kerrygold (Irish) cheeses, and places like the Whole Foods Market sell real English cheese as well as unpasteurised cheese.

differentID Mon 07-Sep-09 23:53:20

Bread sauce is traditional. I've never eaten it.

Quite like decent xmas pud though- litres of booze in it and a plain cream to serve with it.

differentID Mon 07-Sep-09 23:54:06

really math? Would you say that Colby is like the value stuff that's a bit rubbery?

GrimmaTheNome Mon 07-Sep-09 23:55:35

Apropos of the discussion of pudding, I found this (iced)gem of information in DDs homework tonight, fortunately before I emailed it to the teacher:

.A large part of Egypt is covered in dessert
.Sugar is also grown in Egypt

grin

Shop-bought Christmas pudding is way too sickly though. Have never tried making my own. Maybe I should.

differentID Mon 07-Sep-09 23:57:26

Grimma!grin

Fantastic

GrimmaTheNome Mon 07-Sep-09 23:59:13

xmas pud isn't half as sickly as pumpkin pie so that can't be why Americans don't like it.

pooexplosions Tue 08-Sep-09 00:11:38

Kerrygold cheese? In Ireland, kerrygold make butter, no cheese.

Mmmmmmmm....pumpkin pie. Love it!

What goes on a cheese and pickle sandwich? Only bread cheese and branston? No condiments?

Bread, butter, cheese, Branston. Nothing else.

nappyaddict Tue 08-Sep-09 00:25:57

Not keen on bread sauce but love parsley sauce and onion sauce oh and yorkshire puddings and hash browns but I presume you have those in the US?

Can you get Toffee Poppets in America or what about Jammy Dodgers? You really need to try Cadbury's chocolate fingers too and Mcvities Caramel Digestives mmmmmm.

kickassangel Tue 08-Sep-09 01:31:36

i'm interested inhow much you charge for things.

i live in MI, and pay about $2 for hienz beans, and $5 for a small jar of marmite, so am also shocked byt he cost of it where you are (though i guess a small place costs more than the big store i go to)

we also have ribena - black currant flavoured fruit cordial. it is something that i LOVE!! (about $7 for a small bottle), and they stock jaffa cakes, but not McVities, which are the RIGHT kind.

you shuld eat the galaxy bar when it's at about body temperature - if it came out the fridge, you won't get the sake flavour, but greene & black's is way better.

oh gosh, i usually avoid the food threads but now i've come over all homesick for sainsbury's. (honest, last time i went home to the UK, i nearly cried when i walked in there and just felt so at home!!)

btw 'brown' is not a flavour - you get red sauce (tomato) & brown sauce
HP = Houses of Parliament (see pic on front) though it's no longer made in the UK, and there was a question raised regarding this IN the house.

i could go on about the difference between pickle in the UK & US, but have said enough for now.

selinagaul Tue 08-Sep-09 04:13:38

A British friend of mine wrote this blog entry about the difference between English & American Baked Beans as she was so fed up with people laughing at her obsessive hunt for the 'right' kind in America.

http://libertylondongirl.blogspot.com/2009/01/in-england-everyone-eats-baked-beans.html

Apparently American ones are sweeter. Who knew?!

mathanxiety Tue 08-Sep-09 05:02:06

Meant to say Kerrygold Irish butter, and cheese (should read my posts wink before firing them off). This one looks ok...

mathanxiety Tue 08-Sep-09 05:12:19

Squash in England is a drink; in the US it means things like pumpkins that grow on vines (butternut, spaghetti, etc.). Also, scones are biscuits.

MmeLindt Tue 08-Sep-09 06:08:44

We got Kerrygold cheese in Germany, it was a pale cheddar.

I always have to laugh at the Americans (not all of them, just some of DH's colleagues) whe hate living in Geneva because "you just caaaan't get oraaange cheeeese"

Gah, you are living in Switzerland, on the border to France. Even small supermarkets have about 40 different types of gourmet cheeses, we live in the CHEESE CAPITAL OF THE WORLD. And you are upset because you cannot get cheese from a tin?

Weird.

GoldenSnitch Tue 08-Sep-09 07:43:20

You have a picture of Spam in your photobucket Bananapudding... Brits know about Spam - there is a whole Monty Python sketch about the stuff!!

My grandma used to feed me Spam sandwiches as a child, on brown bread.

GoldenSnitch Tue 08-Sep-09 07:48:19

Whoo Hoo! Just looked on the website for our American food store and they're getting Twinkies in!!

Will have to go in and pick some up along with a fridge pack of Mountain Dew... DH will want some Cinnamon gum but the smell makes me retch <yuck>

pooexplosions Tue 08-Sep-09 09:23:04

Spam is a vastly underated foodstuff. Tis evry popular in the Far East, oddly enough. A Taiwanese friend introduced me to spam fritters...sounds revolting, tastes divine!

Twinkies would survive a nuclear winter, there was a story about a packet of twinkies being found from the 50's or 60's and they were pristine, exactly the same condition as a new one. Thats just wrong......

Jackaroo Tue 08-Sep-09 09:34:08

I've been getting special packages of marmite with every visitor to Oz this last 18 months... my mum FORGOT last month (nearly sent her home), but then just as a friend was flying back with two jars I found it in the local indy supermarket...same bottle but lablelled "Ourmate"??!!! It's exactly the same stuff labelled for over here... it wasn't as expensive as Texas though :-)

We now have the following in our cupboard:

Marmite
Ourmate
Australian Marmite (it's black and repulsive)
Vegemite (as above)

I have weaned DS onto Vegemite so I don't have to share the marmite/ourmate :-)

fierybiscuits Tue 08-Sep-09 09:37:07

Have never posted on mn before and I think it shows my personality to a tee that my first comment is on a food thread!
Twinkies are vile, my mils friend in America sent us some a few years back and after waiting so long to try some me and my dh were bitterly disappointed.
Spam has to be fried in a non stick pan then sandwiched between two slices of wholemeal bread with Branston fruity sauce...mmm

prettybird Tue 08-Sep-09 09:57:51

For ds' birthday party every year (his birthday is on Thursday), I make a whole platter full of marmite sandwiches. I do it as Nigella Lawson suggest: mix very soft butter with a small amount of marmite (I do it to achieve a "mid-brown") and then spread the sandwiches.

They always go down a storm - with the adults as well as the kids! grin

Wow - just came back online to give feedback on my bacon sarni with Branston Fruity (Yummmmmm!) and this thread's grown a lot! Why wait till Friday for the Marmite tasting? I can quite see why one would want to wait till at least Friday for the other.

I'm reminded of a joke I read in an American paper this summer (Can't remember the title, but it was local to Sanibel/Captiva area, Florida)

What's brown & sticky?

(at this point CS family came up with everything from Marmite to meconium) BUT the answer's:

A stick!

Love it.

5inthebed Tue 08-Sep-09 13:23:52

Because Friday is BP's payday smile

Marmite and bumsex Friday? Might be a bit sticky wink

Have you tried maltesers BP? The trick is to suck the chocolate off before you chew.

GrimmaTheNome Tue 08-Sep-09 13:30:14

>What goes on a cheese and pickle sandwich? Only bread cheese and branston? No condiments?

well, butter if you want. The pickle is the condiment - you really wouldn't want (or be able to taste) anything else.

Don't overdo it though. Once when DD was wee and we were making a picnic to take to the park she wanted to help and asked to put the pickle in my sandwich. I turned my back .... she'd proudly anointed it with about 1/3 of the jar. Was rather puzzled why I scraped most of it off because she knew I liked pickle. Bless. (it was still too pickled!)

nickelbabe Tue 08-Sep-09 13:57:48

want to add something: it all seems covered!

I'm not a marmite fan.

the only chocolate to eat is cadbury's and the only tea is Tetley.

but! if you're going to eat galaxy: banana, you've got it all wrong, you don't chew the chocolate, you let it melt onto your tongue.
like this: break of a square, put it in your mouth. close your mouth and slowly move the chocolate around with your tongue. your tongue will get covered in a film of yummy gooey chocolate. then swallow (once the whole square has dissolved). it's not just a food, it's the technique, too!

as for custard: it has to have the consistency of syrup (like toffee sauce or something): not solid like in your banana pudding trifle. (so between runny and gloopy)

ploughman's as previously discribed is the most traditional way of eating branston's.
but the cheese and pickle sandwich is yummy (try it with a bit of lettuce too)

wash it down with the barley water (about 1/5th strength)

try your bisto granules on mashed potato and sausage (not hotdog sausages but proper meat sausages) if you can't manage sausagesm, then make pork chops and serve with the mash and pour the gravy over. you need to have enough gravy left when you've finished eating that you slurp it off the plate (like as from a saucer)

why haven't you got english heinz tomato ketchup? it really DOES NOT taste like the american: it's less vinegary and more tomato-y.

nickelbabe Tue 08-Sep-09 13:59:09

ps: kraft "natural" cheese is still nto cheese.
cheese is made completely with milk: it's separated, swished about, solidified and left.
(okay, there might be a little bit of rennet, but that's only to help it set)

Momino Tue 08-Sep-09 14:31:22

I've never seen a problem/huge difference between English and American ketchup (not anything like the diff between the beanz). next time I'm back in the US i'll try to notice the difference.

stillhaven't been to Asda, I have a taste for a root beer float: root beer with a large scoop of vanilla ice cream. bananapud, is there anything else in a float? I can't seem to remember now.

We used to have root beer floats and cola floats in the summer when we were children. It's just the drink and the ice cream, as far as I can remember.

nickelbabe Tue 08-Sep-09 15:14:28

Momino: i have been informed that the ketchup they do in burgerking here is to the american recipe.

I forgot to mention about tea:
mke sure you drink it with milk and one sugar. do not even contemplate drinking it with lemon. that's just madness!

justagirlfromedgware Tue 08-Sep-09 15:14:32

This thread reminds me of emigrating from the UK in the early 70s and... Dad putting a six-pack of tabasco in the shipment (this is en route to the Middle East, where hot food is not exactly rare)... an English-born School-friend getting a suitcase full of mars bars as a (requested) birthday present and... an English friend of mind inviting me over in my late teens for a special treat and my having to fake delight over her sharing with me her precious tinned custard that had just arrived from London (yuk).

What I used to miss was: cheese and onion crisps (which now seem to taste of MSG and nothing else) and cadburys' dairy milk. I used to eat it one cube at a time and make a medium sized bar last a month. My DS hears me tell this and says I'm boring him again with my tales of austerity in the 70s (but is secretly admiring me I hope/wish/no, probably not).

justagirlfromedgware Tue 08-Sep-09 15:17:27

p.s. since Green & Blacks dark milk chocolate I haven't look back at Cadburys. To the extent that I wrote to G&B recently, having got worried about all the advertising for their new light milk chocolate that they were going to discontinue my fave flavour. They assured me that I need not lose any more sleep (and sent me some vouchers to compensate me for my trauma grin).

Momino Tue 08-Sep-09 15:25:49

Nickel, i'm not a fan of bk ketchup so can see what you mean.

about tea: i've seen some americans put cream in it (think my mom is one blush).

5inthebed Tue 08-Sep-09 15:25:50

I really don't think I could move to America because they don't sell proper cheese.

Ant whaton earth is up with the grated imitation cheddar and mozzarella? Thats just too weird for words.

Momino Tue 08-Sep-09 15:33:42

5inthe bed, iagree with you. i grew up near Amish country where they make their own 'swiss' cheese which sounds lovely but even the amish make a rubbery pseudo-cheese or they mixit with herbs/garlic that doesn't quite disguise the substance. however, in more recent visits back there i think a lot of places (mostly bigger cities and markets) sell proper, artisanal or imported cheese now. some even unpasteurised.

imitation cheddar/mozz sounds disgusting but i suppose they can't label it the real thing if they don't use the right process in the making.

5inthebed Tue 08-Sep-09 15:40:20

I'm just flabergasted tht America doesn't sell proper cheese, or that they import the stuff. It never occured to me that a country as big as they are wouldn't!

<crosses Amerca off my list of places to retire>

Momino Tue 08-Sep-09 15:55:07

no, no. they do make good stuff. it's just called 'artisanal', from the smaller manufacturers/farms so not taking up the biggest shelf space in the supermarkets. the imported stuff is best in my opinion though.

Katisha Tue 08-Sep-09 16:06:39

It really is a Foreign Country!

midnightexpress Tue 08-Sep-09 16:07:36

Free chocolate you say, justagirl?

<pulls quill from inkwell in order to compose a letter along the same lines as justagirlfromedgeware's>

The light milk is not a patch on the dark milk, imho. I reckon I could take the 'cadbury's being taken over and I am hyperventilating' line perhaps, as I believe G&Bs are owned by Cadburys.

Right.

Cream in tea? shock
I did this once by mistake and the tea was disgusting and undrinkable.

Rhian82 Tue 08-Sep-09 16:51:22

I can't understand how a country can exist without squash.

What do you have as a cheap cold drink?

Some pizza takeaways over hear use imitation cheese. It's cheaper apparently but you can always tell.

justagirlfromedgware Tue 08-Sep-09 17:08:53

Midnight Express: the trick is to sound both plaintive and worried. Yup to Cadburys ownership. That's what got me worried - you know, that they were planning to lower the tone of the product to suit a mass market.

Off to have some G&B milk chocolate with almonds. Yum.

justagirlfromedgware Tue 08-Sep-09 17:24:17

Oh, I forgot to say - I think the reason they sent me vouchers is that I gave them detailed feedback on why I thought the new lighter milk chocolate wasn't so good. (I spose that's called market research??)

Import vendor is here today and just brought in cadbury bars. I bought a Dairy Milk with roasted almonds and eagerly tore into it. Not impressed-tastes like slightly richer Hersheys. I inspected the package to find the stupid thing is made in Pennsylvania by Hershey! Anyone want to send me a real cadbury?

kickassangel Tue 08-Sep-09 19:26:52

i think whole foods, trader joes & even places like target stock cadbury's, though i have never bought any to check if it's made in the UK or US, so you should be able to get some.

i shall now check every packet most carefully before making a purchase. i hope you pointed out to the import vendor that if it's made in penn. it doesn't really count as an import?

justagirlfromedgware Tue 08-Sep-09 19:55:42

A friend of ours who emigrated to the US a decade ago has told us on several occasions that you can get Cadburys in the US, but that it is always the fake that you describe (i.e. made in the US, tasting nothing like the real thing). It must be something to do with the quality of the milk. Anyway, I'd avoid it like the plague.

That reminds me that said friend always goes for an Indian when he's here. Even though there are Indian restaurants in NY, where he lives, they somehow don't taste the same (perhaps it's because 'Indian' restaurants here have traditionally been run by Bengalis and have developed dishes for the English pallate? I'm digressing - to a subject about which I know not a lot!)

Bananapudding, I'll send you a real Cadbury's bar. And a jar of Marmite that doesn't cost $7.

fierybiscuits Tue 08-Sep-09 20:08:04

Bananapudding I'd be happy to send you a cadburys food parcel! Seriously, have always been a bit enamoured with the ole US of A and would be great to have a cyber buddy there.

In return you can send me this
grin

MmeLindt Tue 08-Sep-09 20:18:03

justagirl
I think that most foreign restaurants adjust their menu to the local tastes. I know that after years of going to Italian restaurants in Germany, we were amazed at Italian restaurants in UK. Some of them even offer Lasagne with chips shock

I love this thread.

Although it is worrying me a bit, in case we ever do get moved to US. I will demand regular food parcels as part of DH's relocation package.

GoldenSnitch Tue 08-Sep-09 20:38:36

Fake Cadburys!!shock How could they!! It's an outrage!

Proper Cadbury's Dairy Milk comes in lots of different varieties....which ones would you like?

# Cadbury Dairy Milk
# Cadbury Dairy Milk Caramel
# Cadbury Dairy Milk Fruit and Nut - almonds and raisins
# Cadbury Dairy Milk Whole Nut - hazelnuts
# Cadbury Dairy Milk Double Choc
# Cadbury Dairy Milk Turkish - Turkish delight
# Cadbury Dairy Milk with Crunchie Bits
# Cadbury Dairy Milk Apricot Crumble Crunch
# Cadbury Dairy Milk Cranberry and Granola
# Cadbury Dairy Milk Bubbly

You also need a Creme Egg when they come back out at Easter...

5inthebed Tue 08-Sep-09 20:50:54

Lyra, I nearly threw up looking at that picture <boak>

Goldensnitch, you could always send a creme egg Dary Milk, although they are clearly not the same.

Sandy22 Tue 08-Sep-09 20:58:46

Bounty Bars are delicious if you eat them properly of course, you have to remove all the chocolate and eat the coconut all on its own smile

SoniaL Tue 08-Sep-09 21:23:09

Just to get of the subject of chocolate and cheses which is the direction that this thread seems to be going in. My DH loves a can of heinz baked beans, cold, with a huge spoonful of branston pickle stirred in. You could try that but even I think that this is an aquired taste.

As for chocolate, it has to be Dairy Milk Whole Nut everytime. There is nothing better. grin

GoldenSnitch Tue 08-Sep-09 21:56:53

Even those "Twisted" bars just aren't the same 5inthebed! It's got to be a proper egg shape!

Um, what's the temperature in Texas at the mo, bananapudding? I think you'd better wait till winter because the Cadbury's chocolate will melt in transit.

By the way, I've just finished reading "The Secret Life of Bees & there's a paragraph where they're all just standing smelling the bananapudding that's baking.

Do you know a really good Key Lime Pie recipe?

UniS Tue 08-Sep-09 22:16:01

thank you for teh pictures Banana. Took me back, I do like wondering round supermarkets abroad, and teh US is my fav, just sooooo many things on teh shelf we don;t have here in UK.

I've lost another long post. Grrrrrrrrrrrrr angry sometimes I want to hurl my iPhone against the wall! I wish my computer was working. No, actually I love my phone but sometimes it drives me nuts. iPhones are like partners that way.

Oh hey, there is another difference. In the us the word partner is often only used for same-sex partners. I was amazed at how many same-sex unions there seemed to be in GB when i first joined mn. How ignorant! blush

Today in Austin TX it is 34 celcius or 94 fahrenheit, but not sunny; it's lightning storms and rain (finally rain). But I have several thermal lined shopping bags that keep my groceries cool on the way home. [clever]

Lyra, thank god I have never seen a can of pig's brains. That is so hideous. I can however send you a can of pig's feet, or chitlins, or maybe some menudo?

siouxsieandthebanshees Tue 08-Sep-09 22:54:58

UniS, that sounds fab, I wish I had thought of going around supermarkets, its something I would love. I will endevour to do so in future.

siouxsieandthebanshees Tue 08-Sep-09 22:55:20

UniS, that sounds fab, I wish I had thought of going around supermarkets abroad, its something I would love. I will endevour to do so in future.

Cheapskatemum, this recipe is very similar what I've done the past few times. Some use merengue which I detest, so I've always done a cream top. key lime pie

love that pie. Also adore sweet potato pie!

Momino Tue 08-Sep-09 23:12:54

speaking of pigs brains, did anyone see Jamie oliver tonight? they cooked bull's balls (rocky mountain oysters). also did baked beans with molasses/treacle. nothing like heinz' recipe.

kickassangel Wed 09-Sep-09 04:17:32

US beans are nothing like UK ones. i pay the extra dollar to get the imported Heinz ones from the UK.

AvadaKedavra Wed 09-Sep-09 10:39:20

Momino, I watched that part from behind a cushion shock the big bowl of balls slopping around <shudders and spews>

Kitkats - I was once sent a care package from a cyber US friend and he put in a Kitkat. It was vile and nothing like our kitkats. BP you need a proper Kitkat!

Momino Wed 09-Sep-09 10:49:04

avada, we were eating our supper during that part and i nearly got sick!

Kitkat - i worked for nestle when we made mint and orange kitkats for hershey USA. we had to make it to a specific hershey recipe but used UK chocolate 'crumb' so was still better than the standard US kit kat. i'm always sending choc to my family there.

GoldenSnitch Wed 09-Sep-09 12:44:37

No recommending KitKats now - Mumsnet is a Nestle Boycott zone remember

AvadaKedavra Wed 09-Sep-09 13:22:07

oops blush <hides cup of coffee behind back>

Momino Wed 09-Sep-09 15:00:28

are they really? that's a very old argumenthmm. do you think they'll kick me off here when they find out i'm an ex-nestle employee...?

GoldenSnitch Wed 09-Sep-09 15:15:02

Yep, big logo bottom right of the home page...

I think you're safe though

edam Wed 09-Sep-09 19:28:32

Golly, I'd never seen the logo before (always go to active conversations). Well done MN!

GoldenSnitch Wed 09-Sep-09 19:39:38

Remembered another use for good old Marmite tonight.

Whisk a little (half a teaspoon) into the oil you roast your potatoes in and it makes them go all extra golden and yummy grin

Good tip, goldensnitch. I'll try that next time I do a roast.

AvadaKedavra Wed 09-Sep-09 20:53:58

I put a thin layer of Marmite on my chicken before roasting

edam Wed 09-Sep-09 22:45:46

I add a dollop of marmite to veggie chilli to give it a bit of bite. And to other savoury sauce type things if I feel like it.

cariboo Thu 10-Sep-09 16:45:25

Cadbury's milk chocolate is THE BEST comfort chocolate on the planet. You can have your fancy-pants Belgian, Swiss, French or whatever handmade, 70% min cocoa content stuff for nibbling but for an all-out comfort gorge, nothing beats Cadbury's!grin

cariboo Thu 10-Sep-09 16:47:27

lol at cheap cold drink. I have wine & sparkling water. Sometimes w/out the water.

Wine's not that cheap though Cariboo. Not the decent stuff anyway.

mathanxiety Thu 10-Sep-09 18:01:08

Reporting a (US made) Cadbury sighting in Walgreens.

That's no good Mathanxiety. It'll taste like Hersheys, won't it?

cariboo Thu 10-Sep-09 19:10:52

tongue in cheek re wine

I've now enlisted a coworker to participate in Marmite Friday with me grin we are going to do branston pickle too. We found this cheese at the store. Is it proper enough for branston?

AvadaKedavra Thu 10-Sep-09 22:16:41

Nice ham is good with Branston in a sandwich too

5inthebed Thu 10-Sep-09 22:30:05

BP, that chesse looks fine for the branston pickle.

Can you buy nice ham in America? Or is that tinned as well?

Eeeewwwwwwwww, tinned ham! No, we have some very nice ham. We've got quite a nice selection of fresh cut deli meats.

Tinned ham. Blech.

GoldenSnitch Fri 11-Sep-09 09:14:29

Let us know how you get on with the Marmite BP.

I'll make sure I have some later

Rhian82 Fri 11-Sep-09 10:28:17

Even cheap wine isn't as cheap as squash - one 2l bottle for about £1 can last the best part of a month!

AvadaKedavra Fri 11-Sep-09 12:04:56

Happy Marmite Day BP!

Let us know how you get on BP. Remember to spread plenty of butter on your bread before the Marmite, or better still blend the butter and Marmite before spreading. And only use a teensy bit.

Xavielli Fri 11-Sep-09 14:11:31

mmmm... marmite and Philadelphia sarny....

5inthebed Fri 11-Sep-09 15:24:06

Have you had your marmite yet? Come on, we need your honest opinion!

I am sorry to report that to me, marmite is nasty. Dh loved it though! Going to try it on dd after school.

I am going to try cooking with it, I think it might give a lovely flavor to some things. Same as a stock cube...but I would never eat one of those plain!

BrigitBigKnickers Fri 11-Sep-09 18:54:41

Marmite, cream cheese and cucumber sandwiches. MMMMMMMMMMM!

mathanxiety Fri 11-Sep-09 18:59:27

Found US ham disappointing. The only kind that wasn't boiled and extruded and formed into a ham log for slicing that I could find was 'Bavarian style', Kretschmar brand. <fondthoughtsofIrishham>

mathanxiety Fri 11-Sep-09 19:01:05

sad, learned from experience to avoid Cadburys made in PA.

Was it that bad? grin
Bananapudding, how could you?! shock You can't have eaten it right. Marmite is a food of the Gods.

5inthebed Fri 11-Sep-09 19:33:30

sad Can't believe you don't like it.

Add it to soups, makes it lovely.

Lyra, I did it exactly as instructed! Toasted bread, butter, very thin scraping of marmite.

Marmite tastes like being kicked in the mouth by someone wearing a shoe made of salty multivitamins. Somehow, I don't think it will be my new favorite thing! grin

I do have high hopes for the Branston though. I love pickle-y things.

Almost forgot: I always buy nice ham wink Never that strange square boiled stuff. I'm leery of any food with a perfect geometric shape.

Sounds like you put too much on. Really, you need just the tiniest amount on the tip of your knife.

And it's better on non-toasted bread, in a sandwich. Go on, try it again, just for me grin

GoldenSnitch Fri 11-Sep-09 19:57:07

At least now you will understand the phrase "it's like marmite" when used to describe something people either completely love or absolutely hate.

There is no middle ground with Marmite

OmicronPersei8 Fri 11-Sep-09 21:28:04

So what's next on your tasting list?

I'm a Texan, but "exiled" in the UK! LOL .... can't even bear the smell of Marmite! No one could make me eat it!

What I need here is a bit more extenisve American aisle! wink I really miss grape jelly (as in jam, not UK jelly), but never seen any here in the 6 years I've been in the UK.

This page is tempting www.americansoda.co.uk/uk/American-Soda/Home/default.aspx but prices are high as the sky!

As for hams & cheeses in USA, I think we had a much better selection in the deli of local supermarkets over there. Colby Jack cheese is fab, as is munster - just a lot of boring or strong cheeses over here! wink ... having said that, I do survive quite happily on UK food ... but if I think about it long enough, there are plenty of things I miss from the other side of the pond!

Rachel, want to trade packages? I'll send you a couple bottles of Welch's Concord Grape (but you are Texan, do you prefer Bama?) and you can send me some real Cadbury bars grin

Next up is Branston pickle. I think I'm going to like it

I just realized that the UK probably doesn't do breakfast tacos. Poor Rachel

boneybones Fri 11-Sep-09 21:45:45

In our household we:

Marmite has to be "dabbed on" the buttered toast must not be spread!

Also Beans on Toast with grated cheddar cheese

and finally a huge must HP sauce on a good old bacon buttie - translates posh version bacon sandwiche of course on white bread or toast

GoldenSnitch Fri 11-Sep-09 21:45:50

Have a look here Rachel. The prices might be better than American Soda.

GoldenSnitch Fri 11-Sep-09 21:47:00

What's in a breakfast taco?

midnightexpress Fri 11-Sep-09 21:49:16

Marmite is frightfully good for you (salt aside), and

<hot tip for rachelinscotland, if she is indeed in Scotland>

it keeps the midgies off. They don't like the tqaste of it in yer blood.

It is also ambrosia. My mouth is watering just thinking about it. I may have to go and have a slice of toast and marmite right now.

Yum.

Grumpyoldcaaaaaaaa Fri 11-Sep-09 21:58:57

BP, Blue Bell Ice-Cream - I'm sure I bought some of that in Dubai and it proclaimed 'hand-cranked flavor' on the tub. Also, I had to laugh at 'Homemade Vanilla' and underneath 'Natural and artifical flavor added'.

<longs to try the many processed cheese products>

What are grits? What is Hamburger Helper? What are Hush Puppies?

Haven't read whole thread so apologise if repeating.

banana: a package swap sounds fab, but I think postage from USA would be a lot for something heavy like jelly! I've been thinking that I must remember to get any visiting family member to bring me some over in their suit case ... but I'm sure they'd never forgive me if the bottle burst and they had all their clothes stained with grape jelly!

No, breakfast tacos don't feature over here - but we can get flour torillas, so it's easy enough to make your own tacos - though I hate british sausages! (no offense to all of you here! LOL) But I'm very thankful for Lidl (German supermarket) which has some lovely sausages - very cheap too!

Now, Branston pickle is fab! I could eat a whole jar with cheese on homemade bread!

midnight: I am in Scotland! hmm LOL Right in the middle of the lovely Highlands though. So I'm far enough away from the west coast to have to worry about midges though! wink

grumpy: Blue Bell ice cream is the best! It was made only a very few miles from where I come from in Texas, and I associate many happy memories with Blue Bell Ice Cream - it was at every birthday party for all of my 6 siblings & I, and all my cousins and every other get-together and party ... part of life! And I remember the many times we'd get 2 half gallon tubs for an amazing $5! (And no, I'm not ancient!) Though I think by the time I left Texas it was more like 2 half gallons for $10 (when on sale). But really, it's fantastic ice cream - made with real milk ... unlike all the fake ice cream here in UK which is made from reconstituted whey protein! angry Yuk!

Mmmmmm Bluebell. I just bought a half gallon of Peaches & Homemade Vanilla. It really is fabulous. In the UK ice cream isn't made with real milk? How bizarre, considering the slander being done to US milk with regard to chocolate and cheese I paid $6.19 for one half gallon.

Speaking of chocolate, what is the general consensus on Milka chocolate? I just found it genuinely imported from Germany in a store in the next town.

The most common breakfast taco around here is a flour tortilla with a filling of scrambled eggs, bacon and cheese (cheddar though not to your standards). I don't eat eggs, so I usually get potato home fries instead of the eggs. Home fries are boiled potatoes that have been cooled, diced and fried crisp. And every breakfast taco must have Mexican hot sauce on the side. Dh does pico de gallo instead sometimes.

Grits are eaten like a hot cereal, I believe it's pretty much the same thing as polenta. It's made of ground corn. I seem to remember that grits are made from ground hominy rather than straight corn but I could be wrong. Hamburger Helper is a packet mix with a sauce mix and pasta. You brown the hamburger (mince), add the sauce powder with water/milk and the noodles, then cook until liquid is absorbed. Extremely popular in Texas. I'm sure the UK would find it unimaginably vile! Hushpuppies are wonderful. The are a thick batter of cornmeal, minced onion, minced bell pepper, milk and eggs. They are dropped by spoonful into hot oil. Usually served with fried catfish around here.

Bama jelly is in glass but Welch's is in a sturdy plastic jar so shouldn't burst in a suitcase. Hope you get a delivery!

HigherThanAWombat Sat 12-Sep-09 02:45:32

Every icecream that I've had here,Scotland,has been made from real milk and cream.Perhaps if you buy the cheapest of ice creams then alternatives are used.

HigherThanAWombat Sat 12-Sep-09 02:55:01

About Milka I like it. It isn't my favourite but it's a very pleasant chocolate.

And as for the poster who mentioned strong cheeses? Do you mean that we have cheese that actually has a flavour?grin

AvadaKedavra Sat 12-Sep-09 09:47:23

Indeed we do have real dairy icecream in the UK, it's just the cheapest of the cheapest of the cheap that is that awful not dairy stuff.

Milka is nice enough. Better than US chocolate anyway wink

Fluff - what can you use it for apart from on a PBJ?

5inthebed Sat 12-Sep-09 10:12:36

I wouldn