How do you make milk jelly?

(5 Posts)
plimple Thu 25-Jun-09 15:44:04

Hi, my friends told me they used to have milk jelly as children and it sounded lovely. Just tried to make it and it curdled!
What I did:
Make up 1/2 pint of jelly with boiling water as per instructions, then added half pint of milk instead of water. It Curdled!
Hoe do I make it not curdle?
Should it curdle?
If it does curdle can you still eat it?
Thanks

GrimmaTheNome Thu 25-Jun-09 15:50:25

My mum used to make it to try to get milk into me (I didn't like it). Don't remember hers curdling though. Perhaps she used to cool it before adding the milk. It ought to be edible - it won't make you ill.

I have some vague notion that she might have made it with evaporated milk, now my brain cells start reaching back to that dusty corner...that might be the trick.

PeachyTheRiverParrettHarlot Thu 25-Jun-09 15:50:53

let it cool before adding milk- I make this often and it wroks fine that way

curdled is fine to eat yes, just not so pretty

I mmake a nice one by dissolving jelly in 1/4 water, topping to 3/4 with milk, then up to a pint with amshed strawberries- yum

My mum used to make them with evaporated milk. I guess it was probably the heat that made it curdle, so if you let it cool to room temp before adding the milk that would probably be safer.

plimple Thu 25-Jun-09 17:43:17

Ah great, thanks!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now