victoria sponge quantities for 12" 10" and 8" all 5" deep please!!!

(39 Posts)
mothersmilk Sat 06-Jun-09 15:03:21

im making my friends wedding cake and she's requested victoria sponge im a confident baker but cant seem to find the right quantities anywere can anyone help the tin sizes are 12" 10" and 8" all of them are 5" deep
many thanks

SB40 Tue 21-Aug-12 13:50:58

Hi Itried your Madeira recipe also, scaled down to suit an 8in sq tin but after 85 minutes cooking it still wasn't cooked in the middle. any Ideas I wanted to use this for the 2nd tier of my Sister in Laws wedding cake?

BensGrandad Mon 24-Sep-12 14:36:00

I have read a recipe for a sponge rather than a Madeira which is 3 tier of 12, 23 & 28cm. The cake I want to make is 12in (31cm) square. If I combine the quantities for the 12 and 20cm (total 32 cm) will that be sufficient ingredients for a 31cm cake. I noticed that for a Madeira it is 3 x the ingredients of an 8in cake. Would I also have to combine the cooking times i.e 25 +30 mins = 55mins or is there another formula for mixture and cooking times.

tam1977 Fri 23-Nov-12 08:09:43

Good morning all im new to this so hope im doing it rite. Im trying to make a 12" by 12" by 4" deep sponge cake and it wont rise enough can anyone help with a recipe please x

joolsangel Sun 30-Jun-13 20:43:13

my DDs 5th birthday is coming up and she has asked for a ladybird birthday cake. I am no baker (only ever baked her last 4 birthday cakes and the odd cup cake). I would love to do square Victoria sponge with lady bird cake on top and im drawing a blank about how best to decorate both and fillings etc. any tips that aren't too ambitious would be great please!

PutThatDownNow Mon 01-Jul-13 12:30:17

Hi Joolsangel, I am sure someone far more skilled than I am will be along with advice but for me I would take the cheat's way out - make a Victoria sponge and cover with green butter icing and some flowers then add chocolate ladybirds. (You can buy these online if you can't find locally.)

Polly48 Tue 30-Jul-13 14:22:55

I am just about to start experimenting making a three tier sponge wedding cake although reading some of the earlier posts, this is probably going to be too light so support each tier. I have a 10" and a 6" cake tin and thought I would improvise with a 9" cake tin for the 8" cake. I think that I can adjust the recipes I have seen posted but if thin cake boards are used between each layer would this give some support. The finished cake will be filled with buttercream and raspberries and decorated with fresh flowers. Has anyone some suggestions - this cake is required on 23rd August.

I wouldn't do a Victoria because you don't want to be making it all at the last minute. I would do a Madeira cake which will keep much better (will improve with keeping) and remain moist. More importantly, it is much firmer and will stand much greater chance of supporting the weight of the upper tiers. You could, perhaps do a Victoria for the top tier.

Practitioner33 Sat 03-Aug-13 01:59:42

This recipe worked perfectly for me smile I am tackling a Castle Grayskull cake for my brothers 30th . . .end results could be interesting smile

LizzieL85 Tue 06-Aug-13 12:10:54

Hello this is a msg for silverwoodhelpdesk. I would like the make the cake you posted in a 14inch , 10inch and 6 inch square cake about 2.5 inch in height.
Madeira Cake - 12” Square (with thanks to Jen Aldred)
Please may you advise me on Qty and cooking times.

Thank You.

LizzieL85, 14" Square is a heck of a big cake. Give me a call. I can't post the phone number here as it would probably be taken down for being "Too Commercial". It is a shame, as we are only trying to be helpful. You will find it here.

mommachadry Thu 08-Aug-13 16:15:04

Hi

Does anyone have a vanilla recipe for a 10inch round cake? Trying to make my son's birthday cake but can't find one x

Any help appreciated

Bluebelle1 Sun 11-Aug-13 14:27:43

Hi can anyone help please? I have a recipe for an 8" round lemon drizzle cake which I have been doing for a few years now using 6ozs each of Flour, margarine and sugar with 3 eggs. I always put the mixture all in one 8" tin and it comes out really nice and light, although I would like it to be a bit higher. My query is, if I increase the mixture to 8ozs of everything plus 4 eggs, is it best to divide the mixture between 2 8" cake tins or will it still come out ok if I just use the one tin? Any advice would be appreciated.

tiger1234 Sat 14-Jun-14 17:20:25

Just made a 12in madria cake covering tomorrow , got told it will last a week till the Christian is that right .

It should last that long. In fact Madeira improves with keeping a little. A week shouldn't be a problem.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now