11 month old won't eat bloody anything, tearing my hair out.

(81 Posts)
ruty Thu 16-Apr-09 10:10:03

Ds ate like a horse. Dd has always been fussy, at the breast [better now but not a huge feeder] refuses all formula and bottles, and hates food. At 6 months anything that went in her mouth was met with crying, outrage, gagging. Slowly got better but suddenly the last couple of weeks she has been refusing all breakfast [baby cereal, small pieces of toast and butter] spitting ou the fruit puree sachets she used to have as snacks, refusing supper. She has always rejected the chicken cassroles i make her, she chews small pieces of chicken and roasted carrot then spits them out, gags on mashed potato, and now rejects the little organix chicken baby food she used to accept.

I know she can swallow and chew because i tried her with a piece of chocolate the other day [would never have allowed ds at that age] and she wolfed it down happily. She like ice cream too. And teddy bear crisps, terribly salty, but her brother has given her a few and she loves them hmm

So what the hell do i do? She will only eat high sugar, salty food, and not much at that. She is small for her age, but i haven't had her weighed for ages, now she is rejecting pretty much everything i am going to get her weighed tomorrow. Really really exasperated now. Any ideas?

Fiddledee Fri 15-Apr-11 16:18:39

I had a terrible problem with my DD, she really didn't eat proper meals until she was over 2. She was also BF. I did start leaving food around in little pots around the house and she would eat and play - she seemed to dread sitting at the table no matter how fun I made it. DD much preferred snacks than eating meals so I made the snacks into mini meals. I lost alot of weight due to the worry. My child won't eat book is good but I do think "meals without tears" more helpful in a practical sense.

Second child completely different self weaned at before 1. However, he has only a range of food he enjoys and will starve himself unless he has food he likes. Sigh, sigh.

DD1 was like this, with all of the attendant worries about weight (she's currently 27lb and 4.8). In the end we ave up trying to get her to eat and left her to it. I read a LOT about toddler eating ('My Child Won't Eat' is amazing) and had some good MN advice too.

She started to eat one meal a day at 13mths and by 2.6 was a total gannet and hasn't stopped eating since.

Mummy2Bookie Fri 15-Apr-11 19:38:33

Ummm does she like pasta? Dd is fussy with her food but she loves Pasta bake

Bexy1983 Thu 11-Apr-13 11:46:05

Hi can any one help my baby is 10 months and won't eat any food if he finds lumps he spits it out or gages and then won't touch it I've tried every jar of baby food and even made my own he won't eat but if I give him a crisp he eat it so I know he can swallow Wat shall I do

ruthyroo Fri 12-Apr-13 10:04:07

Have you read My Child Won't Eat by Carlos Gonzales? Old yah book but very recently reissued also on kindle. It's not a guide to getting your child to eat but can help put things into perspective.

Apologies if rec above haven't time to read all responses.

mrsvilliers Fri 12-Apr-13 16:29:09

I went through something similar with my ds, he refused all purees and basically ate cheese, banana and toast for three months. Things that worked for us:
9-12 months walking away and ignoring him totally if he started being fussy
12-16 months took out of his highchair and sat on the floor (I sat, he wandered off and came back when he wanted more)
16 months moved to little table.

He's still fussy as but I just serve what he wants (I know, so weak!) I second that book BTW, meant to be good.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now