11 month old won't eat bloody anything, tearing my hair out.

(81 Posts)
ruty Thu 16-Apr-09 10:10:03

Ds ate like a horse. Dd has always been fussy, at the breast [better now but not a huge feeder] refuses all formula and bottles, and hates food. At 6 months anything that went in her mouth was met with crying, outrage, gagging. Slowly got better but suddenly the last couple of weeks she has been refusing all breakfast [baby cereal, small pieces of toast and butter] spitting ou the fruit puree sachets she used to have as snacks, refusing supper. She has always rejected the chicken cassroles i make her, she chews small pieces of chicken and roasted carrot then spits them out, gags on mashed potato, and now rejects the little organix chicken baby food she used to accept.

I know she can swallow and chew because i tried her with a piece of chocolate the other day [would never have allowed ds at that age] and she wolfed it down happily. She like ice cream too. And teddy bear crisps, terribly salty, but her brother has given her a few and she loves them hmm

So what the hell do i do? She will only eat high sugar, salty food, and not much at that. She is small for her age, but i haven't had her weighed for ages, now she is rejecting pretty much everything i am going to get her weighed tomorrow. Really really exasperated now. Any ideas?

ruty Thu 16-Apr-09 10:11:08

oh yes and the one healthy thing she'll eat is avocado, but only if it is from a pret a manger chicken and avocado sandwich, refuses all other avocado, even if smothered in mayo.

Aaaaaargh.

jimblejambles Thu 16-Apr-09 10:23:01

Is she teething? Ds2 refuses point blank to eat anything when he is teething.
Its frustrating though. What I tend to do is little bits of finger food so if he is hungry its ready for him.
hth

ruty Thu 16-Apr-09 10:28:28

maybe, i don't know. She only has 4 teeth so far, ds had most of his at this age. I'm baffled.

MammaPiggy Thu 16-Apr-09 10:39:50

it is frustrating, i think some children just have smaller appetites than others, my dd1 has always eaten very well but dd2 is very fussy and sounds a bit like your dd.

remember she is still very young and if she is still having milk then at least she will be getting her goodness from that.

does she like yogurts or cheese on toast, weetabix? just thinking outloud really

i also think that if she is teething that could be a big reason for her being off her food, always seemed to make a massive difference to my twos appetites.

sorry cant think of anything else really except she will grow out of this stage eventually!

frisbyrat Thu 16-Apr-09 10:52:43

Does she eat in the pram? Ds is being a complete bugger about eating at the moment, but will greedily wolf down e.g. a piece torn off a bagel and a banana while being wheeled round the shops. That's his 'real' meal. I think of the 20 minutes he spends sat in his high chair with a bib on, smearing home-cooked stew and veg around his ears as his 'fake' meal. It makes me feel better. hmm

ruty Thu 16-Apr-09 11:20:40

actually yes, she will only eat the avocado pieces [from said expensive sandwich] whilst sitting in the pram. Haven't had much luck with other food tho.

Refuses weetabix, refuses banana, actually must try pizza again, seemed to like that once. Thanks for reminding me re cheese on toast!

jimblejambles Thu 16-Apr-09 11:41:12

Bread sticks might be worth a try to. Have you tried noodles? When all else fails I give ds2 ready brek he thinks its daddys so loves it.

Also with ds2 I put his plate next to mine but pretend his food is coming from my plate. For some reason he will eat more from my plate.hmm

ruty Thu 16-Apr-09 11:59:33

readybrek scorned, breadsticks crumbled!

On the other hand she just stole her brother's mini magnum and scoffed it! hmm

piximon Thu 16-Apr-09 12:31:20

My ds3 12m was a terrible food refuser. He's only really got the hang of eating in the past month or so. I cut down on some of his milk, ditched cutlery and put food direct on his tray/table, it seems to be working for the most part.

They sound very similar, ds3 is on the wee side (on the 9th percentile for weight, 75th for height) he would not eat anything I would slavishly cook but would wolf down choc/yoghurt/crisps etc. Gets a bit disheartening after a while.

If I want to spoon feed ds1 I put some things down for him to self feed (he loves blueberries) which seems to distract him. I also find if I sit him next to me while I'm eating he always wants to share whatever I'm eating.

Tuna mayo sandwiches are now popular with ds3 and pasta twists very successful, pizza bread goes down well and baked beans with cheese.

piximon Thu 16-Apr-09 12:36:18

I can only get ds3 to eat breakfast if I either do the golden nugget type things with very little milk so he can feed himself or porridge with a drizzle of maple syrup as the strong taste flavours the whole bowl. I've found both my bf babies have very sweet tastes, where my ff babies are less picky.hmm

Does she eat much fruit? I use bananas on days when nothing else seems to work, cut up grapes/oranges/strawberries all very popular.

I often struggle to think of "real food" he might actually eat but for us it is getting easier with ds3, dd1 however is another matter and consumes a fairly restricted diet.

ruty Thu 16-Apr-09 12:46:11

thanks piximon. she was until recently eating chopped grapes and blueberries, now she rejects them too. sad

ruty Thu 16-Apr-09 12:47:01

i've held off putting sugar on her cereal as i'm worried about her teeth but it may be the only thing left to do!

Ruty much sympathy

Remember she is rejecting the food not you, yes?

It's v hard

MammaPiggy Thu 16-Apr-09 12:51:54

actually ruty your dd sounds just like my dd2, she always wants to nick her sisters food but then when i give her something of her own she turns her nose up at it! i think it is their way of asserting their independence or something! its a bloomin pain though!

ruty Thu 16-Apr-09 12:53:22

thanks BALD. It does feel a bit like that, dread getting her weighed tomorrow, I haven't been for so long. She is very bright and cheeky at least...

ruty Thu 16-Apr-09 12:55:52

yes MP but when she nicks things it gets chewed and spat out. Unless it is ice cream!

MammaPiggy Thu 16-Apr-09 12:58:08

yes my two are very cheeky grin
i actually think that it becomes a game to them and the more they can see you getting wound up by it the more they do it because they think its very amusing seeing mummy getting all flustered! hmm
so really you need to try and act as if you are not bothered but of course that is very hard to do!

MammaPiggy Thu 16-Apr-09 13:02:44

i think for my dd2 chewing up food and spitting it out is one of her favourite hobbies hmm
and she also likes tipping bowls of food upside down or grinding food into the carpet - oh the joys! it does worry me but i console myself by telling myself that she will not still be doing this when shes 16 (with any luck)
she does drink quite a lot of milk so i try not to worry too much and just keep offering her food and hoping for the best!

claireybee Thu 16-Apr-09 13:08:39

DD was like this, barely ate until 13 months and only then started to eat very small meals. She didn't eat three meals a day until she was about 2 though, just breakfast and dinner-and very small amounts at both.

She still has a small appetite but isn't really fussy, will eat most things in miniscule portions.

ruty Thu 16-Apr-09 17:28:20

thanks ladies, oh if only she's have a nice cup of formula now and then, i worry about iron. she mostly breastfeeds at night, not bothered in day. i'll see what HV says tomorrow.

ruty Fri 17-Apr-09 13:27:51

had her weighed today. She has dropped to the 9th centile. sad She was born on the 81st, dropped to just below the 50th a few months ago and now on the 9th. Fuck.
I really don't know what else to do. She rejects everything i put into her mouth except ice cream and the bloody avocado sandwich fillings. Saw a new HV, who asked me if the ice cream was home made and looked a bit shocked that i was giving her ice cream at all. hmm I have only given her ice cream this last week as a last resort when she has eaten nothing else. I asked about iron drops but she said she looks bright and happy so to hold off and get her weighed again in a couple of weeks. Should i go to the doctor and ask for them myself? Still refusing food. sad sad

notoverit Fri 17-Apr-09 14:06:26

My dd hardly ate untill she was one. I made loads of lovely purees myself and she ate very little. I then started making other nice meals which she didn't eat.

My health visitor does not seem to be like other health visitors and said I should give her some junk food as I was very careful about not letting her eat rubbish. But I then thought hey I would rather her eat a little junk then nothing. Also she was bf and would not drink from a bottle and I found it very draining as she wanted to bf all day.

I gave her weetabix every moring and she only had a little bit but it kept improving untill she had 2 everyday.

I started letting her eat things like, chips, sausage, pizza and things like that. I still offered the healhy stuff too. She started eating the unhealthy stuff then seemed to get an appitite for food. And then she started eating the healthy food too. Her faviourate meal was veg and mash and when I couldn't get her to eat she would always eat that.

I think it really helped that i chilled out abit and let her try other things so she got used to eating. Now she eats healthy food and a little junk.

She loves veg but not fruit and eats only small bits of banana. I think the key is to keep offering the healthy food. When I first gave her risotto she would not eat it atall. Nowshe will eat it from my plate but not her bowl. hmm

It is hard work but I'm sure she will start eating. smile

ruty Fri 17-Apr-09 14:50:42

thanks notoverit - just was a bit shocked with the huge drop in centiles. sad

Sheeta Fri 17-Apr-09 14:57:21

We went through a period like this when DS was 11mo.. he absolutely refused anything that wasn't yoghurt or biscuits. (cost me a fortune in Organix gingerbread men!)

In the end I gave in and that's pretty much all he ate for weeks and weeks. It very slowly improved and now he's eating fairly well (at 16mo).

He still had loads of milk, but virtually nothing to eat some days..

have you tried sweetening the readybrek with fruit purees or yoghurt?

Eggy bread was popular with DS, especially if it came off my plate hmm

cktwo Fri 17-Apr-09 15:01:50

Don't try to feed her, let her do it herself. And don't make a fuss over meals (even if you feel like tearing your hair out), and make sure you sit down and eat with your children even if its only a tiny bit. Small children are like sponges and basically absorb the actions of others by example. So if you eat later, just pretend your eating with her and let her get on with it. If she's like my DD2 she won't be helped with anything hmm

ruty Fri 17-Apr-09 15:06:26

yes i'm going to try that. Doesn't help that we all eat at different times and rarely around the table [dh gets home too late] will try to get me, ds and dd to eat together.

cktwo Fri 17-Apr-09 17:44:16

Good luck smile

becaroo Fri 17-Apr-09 17:50:10

Hi ruty.

If you are worried about her intake of vits and minerals how about vitamin drops?

Also, have you tried mini rice cakes? Ds1 who is a very fussy eater even now (he is nearly 6) loved and still loves them....

becaroo Fri 17-Apr-09 17:51:13

"On the other hand she just stole her brother's mini magnum and scoffed it!"

....sounds like a girl after my own heart ruty!!!! grin

ruty Fri 17-Apr-09 18:09:06

yes an we just had another baby round and she stole the biscuit from his hand and tried to eat it, dropping her own half. hmm Can't think where she gets it from. grin

I did ask HV about vitamin drops but she said wait for a couple of weeks. can i get them myself anywhere?

becaroo Sat 18-Apr-09 20:18:33

Yes, you can get them from any pharmacy/supermarket - I use abidec (they are the ones usually prescribed by GPs, Hvs etc)

I am very surprised at your HV hmm Current DoH guidlines recommend vit drops for bf babies after 6 months and for ff babies if they are having less then 17fl oz per day.

HTH x

ruty Sun 19-Apr-09 09:55:02

thankyou Becaroo, i will look for them tomorrow. Yes i was surprised at her too, not even sure if she was a fully qualified HV, clinic so crowded and usual HVS not there.

iwantitnow Sun 19-Apr-09 19:08:50

Get the LLL book "my child won't eat" will set your mind a rest. My DD didn't get the hang of food until she was nearly , she self weaned from BFing and her solids in take didn't improve at all. I did let her eat junk and am still trying to reduce it now at 2.5 years but she is a very healthy weight now but she did plummet down the centiles but has come up again.

AitchTwoOh Sun 19-Apr-09 19:18:43

aw you poor thing. second the vitamins and iron, the eating together and most of all the LLL book. it's very good on how you handle this intractable situation, how you get your head round it and respond to it, iykwim? (cos it'll all likely work out, cos it just will... wink)

oh, and watch out for a programme called 'professor regan's...nursery', part of a series coming up. i'm watching it now, it's quite interesting on things like sugar in cereal etc. basically the nutritionists seem to be saying that eating breakfast is the thing, and not to worry about what it is, sugary or no.

ruty Sun 19-Apr-09 19:19:27

thanks iwantitnow that is good to know. I bought the abidec drops today but no iron in them. Did your dd need iron drops?

becaroo Sun 19-Apr-09 19:21:18

There was a panorama programme on last year with a consultant nuttritionist (from Guys Hospital, I think) treating children with food phobias/wouldnt eat etc etc and she gave such senisble advice...it really cheered me up and I wished I had seen it when ds1 was smaller and going through his really fussy phase.

Basically, she said that food is food...if they will only eat chocolate, apples and milk then give them that and supplement with vitamins. 99% of children will grow out of fussy eating and for those that dont, there is normally an underlying physiological or psycological reason eg: allergy/phobia etc.

With my ds1 I gave him what I knew he liked to eat, kept offering different foods but didnt make a big deal of it if he didnt like it and tried not to worry that his diet wasnt exactly what the books tell you!!!!! grin (Although he has never eaten sweets or chocolate!! - unlike his mother I should add!!)

With ds2 who is 7 months next week, I will do the same, as ds1 now eats much more than he did - things like pilau rice, onion bhajis, naan bread, pasta, garlic bread etc etc - still havent managed to get him to eat fruit or much veg though sad

good luck x

ruty Sun 19-Apr-09 19:21:18

really Aitch? I worry about her teeth [though she only has 4 so far] and about diabetes, a bit in the family [not me or dh though]

She drank some milk today, but only because it was chocolate milk hmm

becaroo Sun 19-Apr-09 19:24:47

....Re: iron, you can get iron drops too - I used some called Minadex (I think!) particularly good after illness to help build them up again. Or your GP can prescribe them and then you will get them free smile

ruty Sun 19-Apr-09 19:26:50

Thanks becaroo -trying to get her to swallow them will be interesting!

LittleRascal Sun 19-Apr-09 20:09:10

this is such an interesting read as my ds (12months) is/was similar. At 10 months he refused everything besides his bottles. drove me maddddd!!!!!! after a while or trial and error I landed up asking my friend to feed him with me not in the house. - it worked! so realised my stress about his eating is probably having an effect on him.
He now goes through days of eating only rice cakes and fruit squeezey things. then he will eat anything for a few more days. He goes to nursery 2 days a week and eats everything in sight- so again- probably me!!! and the fact that he is watching others eat.

so my tips-
focus on 1 meal at a time- eg. at lunch times eat with her (like others have said)
take her out to where other people are eating. like a soft play area
give her raisins or something to focus his attention on
give her finger foods. even if she plays around with it, she is interacting with food
Have messy play with food
dont stress
if she is teething, go back to purees
if she starts fussing, take her out of the chair,play for a few mins in another room and then try again with a smile on your face

good luck! it is sooooooooo annoying!!!

AitchTwoOh Sun 19-Apr-09 20:36:01

yep, they were talking about kids going to school having eaten breakfast and were 100% clear that any breakfast, sugary or not, is better than none for continuing health. so boiled egg and toast or frosties... the scientists weren't bothered. they didn't mention anything about tooth-brushing, but i assume that they'd think it was a good idea.

i saw that tv show as well, beca, it was good. in a way it wasn't that dissimilar to the LLL book. basically don't sweat it, these things sort themselves out in time... smile

becaroo Sun 19-Apr-09 20:54:00

Very true aitch, they do....I just wished I'd seen it sooner IYSWIM? It would have saved me lots of worry over ds1.

My mum reminded me the other day that my brother only ate onion monster munch, jam sandwiches and sweets for about *2 years* when he was about 5/7 shock He is now 6 foot 2 and weighs about 14 stone!!! grin My mum was very stressed (of course) and he picked up on it I am sure.

My biggest tip would be...dont let the child/ren see your stress at mealtimes (I know this is hard when you are worried) but it pays off in the long run, I think.

Sounds like she may have a sweet tooth ruty!! grin but regular toothbrushing will negate any probs in that regard.

ruty Sun 19-Apr-09 21:23:12

so tonight we had a very messy time! We all tried to eat together, and we had fishfingers [suggested by HV] and oven chips [you may have worked out by now I'm not a great cook] and cherry tomatoes. She seemed to enjoy a couple of pieces of tomatoes, and even showed interest in the fishfingers. She enjoyed feeding me even more of course! She also tackled a tub of custard, and I think she eat quite a good amount of it. May be a one off, we'll see, but we'll try to eat all together more often, and see if that helps.

Thanks for all the reassurance and ideas. Would still like to get her some iron drops though.

AitchTwoOh Mon 20-Apr-09 02:46:29

oh i LOVE fish fingers. grin
good one, ruty, i hope things stay messy and keep getting better. just press for the drops, it doesn't matter if dd needs them or not... if it'll help keep your stress levels down you can wean yourself off them when she's a gannet. wink

ruty Mon 20-Apr-09 09:37:14

thanks Aitch. Will do.

becaroo Mon 20-Apr-09 20:41:44

That sounds great ruty...I love fish finger sandwiches! blush

I know my dc always eat more when we eat together but its not always possible.

Good luck x

AitchTwoOh Tue 21-Apr-09 10:49:50

with salad cream... yum.

ruty Tue 21-Apr-09 15:58:38

back to pret a manger today for another avocado sandwich - she ate all the avocado and mayo in the sandwich - the staff must think I'm bonkers, I'm in there nearly every day!

ruty Tue 21-Apr-09 15:59:12

[she won't eat any other avocado i buy, however i present it]

AitchTwoOh Tue 21-Apr-09 16:47:53

lol, she's off her head. grin just wait until she's older... wink

becaroo Tue 21-Apr-09 19:47:29

...I love mayo with my fish finger sarnies smile Also roast parsnip sandwiches with mint sauce - but I feel I may be on my own on that one!!!!

Isnt it strange that they will eat a certain foodstuff a certain way and no other? Drives me mad!! i.e. avocado in a sandwich
My ds1 is like that with chicken...will only eat the horrid chicken fingers - bluergh

ruty Tue 21-Apr-09 22:00:32

no supper at all. well, the littlest bit of risotto, just the rice, no chicken or veg. No pudding. angry

AitchTwoOh Tue 21-Apr-09 22:47:29

but what are you angry about, though? it's not about you... try not to take it personally, she sure as hell doesn't mean it that way. smile

ruty Wed 22-Apr-09 10:04:23

i just felt a bit judged by the HV Aitch. I'm not angry with dd, just a bit exasperated. I have to keep a food diary over these next two weeks and then report back.

nappyaddict Wed 22-Apr-09 10:09:41

What about yoghurt, cheese, little cherry tomatoes, chunks of peeled cucumber, slices of peeled pear, segments of orange, mashed banana, chopped seedless grapes, raisins, scrambled egg.

DS is going through a fussy stage atm and will only eat the above things.

AitchTwoOh Wed 22-Apr-09 10:56:51

oh good, bloomin' HVs. what practical help is she offering you, other than a raised eyebrow?

ruty Wed 22-Apr-09 12:59:03

yoghurt - nah-nah [said in style of family fortunes]
cheese - nah-nah [will occasionally takes small pieces of that revolting dairy lea strip cheese her brother likes - yes i do buy organic cheese but it is rejected]
cherry tomatoes - occasionally
cucumber/pear/orange/banana/scrambled egg - I am given me a look of 'wtf are you trying to do to me, are you mad woman?'
chopped grapes - usually chewed a spat out again, but last night she did eat a few
raisins - haven't tried yet.

smile

ruty Wed 22-Apr-09 12:59:55

I am given a look I mean..

dairymoo Wed 22-Apr-09 13:33:41

Sorry that you ar finding this stressful Ruty - but it does sound as though the key might be finding opportunitites to eat together, whether that be with you joining in, or some of her (or her DB's) friends around.

I have 20mo DTs who are, for the most part, complete gannets (I do realise how lucky I am) but even they have periods where they get really fussy. I've found that during these times taking the focus off the highchair and set meal times works best. I.e. Leaving around plates of little sandwiches, bits of cheese, fruit, etc that they can pick at while they are playing. Or having a picnic outside with everyone sharing off a platter. They often eat absent mindedly if I hand them snacks (a little box of raisins / half a banana) while wheeling them around the shops.

One of my DDs also goes through phases of having very definite ideas about which food she will eat - i.e. pasta sauce should be red. when presented with a bowl of green pesto pasta she rejects it, but if it is squirted with tomato ketchup (bleugh!) and mixed around until it looks red she will eat it hmm. Is there any way that you can keep a box from Pret and 'mock up' a sandwich at home and see if the approach works for ohter varieties??

Hope some of this helps! In the meantime, I feel for you...

dairymoo Wed 22-Apr-09 13:37:40

Re-readng your post about your DD enjoying feeding you, this reaminded me that during the fussy times my DTs seem to like pretending to feed their dolls and then being 'fed' by them too. Admittedly this does mean that I have to manipulate a doll holding a spoon loaded with yogurt but if it means they eat something , I am happy to comply!

nappyaddict Wed 22-Apr-09 15:40:29

Have you tried strawberries or raspberries? They are quite sweet.

nappyaddict Wed 22-Apr-09 15:47:20

Oh and those squeezy yoghurts in pouches or frubes. DS likes the novelty factor of those. When he starts getting disinterested in them I freeze them for a change.

ruty Wed 22-Apr-09 18:40:46

hopefully when she gets older dairy moo she might pick up little sandwiches, etc. She is impossible to distract, if i distract her enough to get food in, if she does not want it, she'll spit it right back out again. She loves feeding me but of course flicks the spoon around so food ends up everywhere, especially on new Laura Ashley wallpaper [one wall only, ok?] Yes, bad idea.

she was eating blueberries until recently nappyaddict. Looks at strawberries as if they are toxic. haven't tried raspberries. She ate about two of those tube yoghurts until she realised food was going into her mouth so now rejects them. Will try freezing them though, thanks for tip. She loves ice lollies so something more nutritious would be good.

AitchTwoOh Wed 22-Apr-09 21:49:43

you can mash banana and freeze it too, ruty. do it in those silly wee yoghurt pots or similar size and stick a calpol spoon in.

do you make pinwheel sarnies for her? dd1 likes these enormously, for some reason, i think it's that she joins in with the palaver, being older.

anyway, rolling pin on a piece of soft brown bread to flatten out, then philly or mashed avocado or whatever, then roll up and slice into pinwwheels. might be worth a try for the novelty value?

AitchTwoOh Wed 22-Apr-09 21:50:54

meant to say... she's three and still picks the filling out of most sandwiches. probably no bad thing that she's not as addicted to bread as her mother. wink

ruty Thu 23-Apr-09 08:30:53

thanks Aitch, I'll try. She was screaming in her cot at midnight last night so I put her in bed with us, and she was still bouncing around eyes wide open at 1am, and I was just thinking 'How did I create this thing with a will of steel?' I'm a bit scared of all the battles to come. grin

lissywoo Tue 28-Apr-09 15:28:35

Hey im new to this and looking for some advice... my 9 mth old has completely stopped eating anything on a spoon. He will eat food he can hold himself but he doesnt get enough this way or enough nutrition etc. He even cries at the sight of his bowl and spoon! This is a very recent problem as he was eating fine until about a week and a half ago. Any advice??

raffers82 Tue 28-Apr-09 21:54:37

Hi lissywoo, i had exactly the same problem with my little boy (now 14 months) and he still hates spoons. Try Jenny Maizel's book 'Finger feeding' for recipe ideas - there's no reason why he can't get enough nutrition from finger foods, most things can by eaten by the fingers you'd be surprised. it's also worth reading up about BLW, even if you don't want to go down that route it will help you to feel a bit better about the whole issue of finger feeding. If the spoon upsets him don't use it! it is frustrating but as long as you offer healthy foods he will eat as much/little as he needs to eat.

Also, is he teething? i found that this worsened the spoon problem, as he would sometimes allow spoon feeding immediately after a tooth had finally come through, but would go straight back to only wanting to self feed when the next tooth started coming through.

If you allow him to finger feed he will probably get to grips with spoon feeding himself fairly soon but until then i think you must let him eat by whatever means he wants to! don't don't don't try to force a spoon on him - when i tried this with mine he protested by refusing to eat anything for several days after!

cheerfulvicky Wed 29-Apr-09 12:58:07

Ask them if you can buy just their avacado in bulk grin
I love Pret a manger... <drools>

lissywoo Wed 29-Apr-09 13:15:00

Hey raffers82 thanks so much for your advice. Really aprreciate it. Will def look up that book. He just got a tooth through last week so im not sure if that is part of the problem or not. Its good to know that he is not the only baby doing this!!

MammaTiggy Wed 29-Apr-09 13:26:07

ruty - do you think she would drink formula milk if you mixed it with some crusha? my 3 year old wont drink milk at all unless its got strawberry crusha with it, i dont think it could be that bad for her and if it got her to drink a bit of formula it would be good because there is a lot of nutrients and calories in formula milk.

MammaTiggy Wed 29-Apr-09 13:34:41

what about nutella on toast?

Blissbird Thu 14-Apr-11 21:41:01

The first thing to remember is they are clever little buggers who are designed to push the boundaries. If you calm down about food and only offer one meal at breakfast, lunch and tea-time without any snacks no matter how they protest they will soon try the food you put in from of them. Children at this age will not starve themselves.
I went through the same thing with my now nearly 3 year old. He soon learned that if he didn't eat the food there was nothing else. I also stopped his milk in the morning and evening at 14 months, the only milk he was having at the time and it only took two days to get him eating breakfast. Something he had always refuesed as he knew milk was coming.
Food seams to be the one thing the little monkeys have us over a barrel with until we get wise to them. Be strong and stick to three meals a day without snacks for a week to see if there is any improvement.
Good luck and you are clearly doing something right as your little tot is as smart as they come.

Crikey, she is strong willed isn't she! I guess I would go with the food time is playtime idea. All sit at the table and have fun with food, her feeding you, you feeding her etc. And not making it a battle, because if it is a battle she has an easy win.

Good luck, and the HV doesn't sound very useful so remember you can ignore her as much as you want!

Fiddledee Fri 15-Apr-11 16:18:39

I had a terrible problem with my DD, she really didn't eat proper meals until she was over 2. She was also BF. I did start leaving food around in little pots around the house and she would eat and play - she seemed to dread sitting at the table no matter how fun I made it. DD much preferred snacks than eating meals so I made the snacks into mini meals. I lost alot of weight due to the worry. My child won't eat book is good but I do think "meals without tears" more helpful in a practical sense.

Second child completely different self weaned at before 1. However, he has only a range of food he enjoys and will starve himself unless he has food he likes. Sigh, sigh.

DD1 was like this, with all of the attendant worries about weight (she's currently 27lb and 4.8). In the end we ave up trying to get her to eat and left her to it. I read a LOT about toddler eating ('My Child Won't Eat' is amazing) and had some good MN advice too.

She started to eat one meal a day at 13mths and by 2.6 was a total gannet and hasn't stopped eating since.

Mummy2Bookie Fri 15-Apr-11 19:38:33

Ummm does she like pasta? Dd is fussy with her food but she loves Pasta bake

Bexy1983 Thu 11-Apr-13 11:46:05

Hi can any one help my baby is 10 months and won't eat any food if he finds lumps he spits it out or gages and then won't touch it I've tried every jar of baby food and even made my own he won't eat but if I give him a crisp he eat it so I know he can swallow Wat shall I do

ruthyroo Fri 12-Apr-13 10:04:07

Have you read My Child Won't Eat by Carlos Gonzales? Old yah book but very recently reissued also on kindle. It's not a guide to getting your child to eat but can help put things into perspective.

Apologies if rec above haven't time to read all responses.

mrsvilliers Fri 12-Apr-13 16:29:09

I went through something similar with my ds, he refused all purees and basically ate cheese, banana and toast for three months. Things that worked for us:
9-12 months walking away and ignoring him totally if he started being fussy
12-16 months took out of his highchair and sat on the floor (I sat, he wandered off and came back when he wanted more)
16 months moved to little table.

He's still fussy as but I just serve what he wants (I know, so weak!) I second that book BTW, meant to be good.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now