How do you make Granola please?

(10 Posts)
MaggsS Wed 15-Apr-09 14:37:38

Hi,

Just had a portion with greek yoghurt from M&S. Yummy.grin

Could I make this at home and store? If so how and how long will it keep?

Jamie has a recipe in one of his book - shall take a look & get back to you....

SoupDragon Wed 15-Apr-09 14:46:38

From "feast" by Nigella. I adapt it to suit my tastes/ingredients

400g roalled oats
120g sunflower seeds
120g white sesame seeds
175g apple sauce
2 teaspoons cinnamon (I put in about half a jar as I love cinnamon!!)
1 teaspoon ground ginger (again, I put in a bit more)
120g rice syrup or rice malt syrup or golden syrup (I left this out and put in extra honey
4 tablespoons runny honey
100g light brown sugar (I think this is unnecessary and will reduce or leave it out next time)
1 teaspoon salt (didn't bother with this)
2 tablespoons sunflower oil (I used olive as it's all I had)
300g raisins

Mix everything bar the raisins together. spread it out onto 2 shallow roasting tins like the ones that come with the oven
Bake at GM3/17deg C, turning over about half way through to ensure even toasting.It can take 40 minutes - 1 hour depending on your oven, keep an eye on it. Cool & then stir im the raisins. Store in an airtight jar.

SoupDragon Wed 15-Apr-09 14:47:09

I leave the brown sugar out completely now.

Just so as you get a choice.. From Jamies MOF Book

200g Oats
150g mixed nuts
50g mixed seeds
50g desiccated coconut
1 tsp grd cinnamon
150g dried fruit
5 tbsp maple syrup
5 tbsp olive oil

preheat oven to 180/350/gas4. Put dry ingredients inc coconut & cinnamon (but not fruit) on baking tray. Stir well & smooth out. Drizzle with maple syrup and a little olive oil & stir again. Place tray in oven for 25-30 mins. Every 5 mins or so take out of oven and move it all around.

Chop dried fruit and mix it into granola once out of the oven. Allow it to cool and keep in airtight container. Will keep ok for a couple of weeks.

MaggsS Wed 15-Apr-09 15:01:27

Thanks both grin

evertonmint Thu 31-Jan-13 22:32:52

I can just smell DH's latest batch cooking smile he's been making it for a while now, we have it every day with Greek yoghurt and its lush. Recipe is from Olive magazine.

400g jumbo oats
Couple packs nuts (the ones in the baking aisle)
2 packs seeds (ditto)
125ml veg oil
125ml honey

Stir together. Put on baking sheets (probably 2 for this amount), put in oven at200C/180c fan. Toast until browned, not burned! Takes 10-15 mins. Keep an eye on it! You soon work out how toasty you like it. Cool, stir in dried fruit if wanted (we like cranberries). Our favourite mix is almond and hazelnuts, with pumpkin and sunflower seeds.

Totally lush, super easy grin

evertonmint Thu 31-Jan-13 22:35:32

Ha! Just thought this was in active convos. Turns out its 4 years old and for some reason has been sat in my Watched threads list!!!! Oh well, enjoy our version grin

KurriKurri Fri 01-Feb-13 17:43:13

I had to try this recipe out for the MN cookbook and it was really nice.

I think it would keep for a couple of weeks in an airtight container - we ate it all in about 24hrs though grin

nomadwantshome Sat 02-Feb-13 20:28:59

I've just started making my own and it's gorgeous. I do oats, mixed dried fruit, raisins, seeds and nuts. Combine with honey and bake, it's so easy.

Dried fruit I like cranberries, blueberries, strawberries. There are so many to try, yum yum. Much tastier and better than any off the shelf cereal of any kinds.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now