I WOUDL BE GRATEFUL IS PEOPLE WOULD STOP OFFERING SHITTY FOOD AT BIRTHDAY PARTIES.! Thank u kindly!

(359 Posts)
MintyandTink Sun 22-Jun-08 22:08:54

Having been to a few birthday parties since my little one was born I am quite shocked at the shit quality of the food being served at bday parties.

Shitty cocktail sausages- yuk, rancid carrot sticks, hard cheese just to provide some examples.

The thing that gets me is not the kind of food but the bloody quality... CRAPITTY CRAPITTY CRAP!

Rant over.

bogie Sun 22-Jun-08 22:09:41

What would you like to see served at a kiddys party?

Oh good grief. It's one meal out of the millions your dc will eat. Party food is what it is. Bah blardy humbug to you.

Romy7 Sun 22-Jun-08 22:10:37

PFB alert!

Gobbledigook Sun 22-Jun-08 22:10:49

Oooh, get you.

Perhaps you'd better start declining invitations?

What an attitude.

ranting Sun 22-Jun-08 22:11:32

Would Tarquin prefer caviar at the next one? Sustainably fished of course.wink

maidamess Sun 22-Jun-08 22:11:38

You are not going to turn into the kind of Mum who brings her OWN food to parties, are you?

JamieOliverAteMyChickens Sun 22-Jun-08 22:11:45

I love party food. The best thing about going to kids parties is being able to absentmindedly pick at party rings and cocktail sausages. Yum.

pooka Sun 22-Jun-08 22:11:52

Get over it!

Tis only 1 meal out of 1000+ a year (though depends how many birthday parties).

Not end of world.

Romy7 Sun 22-Jun-08 22:12:17

greasy chicken dippers, mmmm

MintyandTink Sun 22-Jun-08 22:12:35

nice crisps, nice humous, nice sausages...

not shitty crisps, crappy humous and tesco value sausages.

I find it almost disrespectful to serve such shitty food yuk yuk yuk

GreatAuntieWurly Sun 22-Jun-08 22:12:36

i love party food too, tis one of the only times that my kids get to eat "crap" and get away with it.

Miaou Sun 22-Jun-08 22:12:44

ber-limey. I like nice food but birthday parties are about - crappy cocktail sausages, cheese and pineapple on sticks, fairy cakes, tuna sandwiches ... oooh and jelly and ice cream smile

The kids love it. That's the point. Go somewhere else if you want smoked salmon and cream cheese!

tigertea Sun 22-Jun-08 22:12:59

Is it eaten? In my experience, you can serve as many cheese sandwiches from your local deli as you like but it is the Tescos jam ones that get eaten. Surely what really matters is what they are eating on the days they are not going to parties, which I am sure far outweigh party days!

Romy7 Sun 22-Jun-08 22:12:59

french fancies that have been out of the packet too long!

LOL ranting although mother of Tarquin unlikely to write thank u in title...unless of course the butler is typing for her wink

Please share with us your perfect birthday menu ... I am pretty careful about what my children eat whilst under my control but am very relaxed about what they eat at parties, on the basis that it's "one meal out of millions" asDances said. Will bite my tongue for now. What age are your DCs by the way?

hatwoman Sun 22-Jun-08 22:14:23

maybe people aren;t interested in spending a load of money on the most expensive sausages/cheese/carrots (not sure how that one works, surely a carrot is a carrot) to see them wasted. kids eat k'all at a party. what pisses me off far more than the food or the quality, is the waste.

namechangecosfeelingsad Sun 22-Jun-08 22:15:09

Maybe it's a question of budget Mink...

I'd rather serve less expensive food but be able to afford to invite the whole class than have to start excluding people because I feel I should have to provide top quality grub to please the mums.

bogie Sun 22-Jun-08 22:16:02

Disrespectful? WTF What if one could not afford to provide the best quality organic food should they be ashamed of themselfs for even considering throwing a party for there lo's

bogie Sun 22-Jun-08 22:16:02

Disrespectful? WTF What if one could not afford to provide the best quality organic food should they be ashamed of themselfs for even considering throwing a party for there lo's

Kbear Sun 22-Jun-08 22:16:16

Your ideal birthday food would be....?

Hulababy Sun 22-Jun-08 22:16:32

I am afriad I will offer whatever I chose to at my child's birthday party. If you don''t like it - turn down invites.

And DD loves those little sausages grin Albeit suerved up with nice cheese, pitta, salad and veg sticks and humous.

But a party is a party - and children's parties are just that - parties for children. And TBh most children don;t care for the food so much - they are there for the fun!

Romy7 Sun 22-Jun-08 22:16:48

lol hatwoman. my friend recycles her paper plates for that reason.

big fat spread of cheap partyfood and sling the lot in a black plastic bag when it's over for another year.

spicemonster Sun 22-Jun-08 22:16:55

Don't let your DCs go to any more birthday parties. Problem solved

hatwoman Sun 22-Jun-08 22:17:07

hula hoops hula hoops hula hoops

do they count as "nice" crisps? they might not be handcooked (what a load of shite, can a hand really shake a fat fryer that much better than a machine hmm?) but, imvho, they are NICE. (the only waste I will tolerate. cos I eat them all up)

morocco Sun 22-Jun-08 22:17:08

lolol

am guessing you have not yet started on the 'party at ballpond' experience then? brace yourself for years of chicken nuggets and chips

SquiffyHock Sun 22-Jun-08 22:17:31

I can be a total food snob at times but it sounds like you are being a bit unreasonable. How do you make your judgements? I buy cocktail sausages from Waitrose but I doubt they're very different from Tesco value and you certainly wouldn't be able to see a difference.
How do you know it's 'crappy homous'??

LynetteScavo Sun 22-Jun-08 22:17:31

Rancid carrot sticks? hmm

Hard cheese???? shock

Maybe you need to improve the quality of your friends.

This so has to be a wind up grin

Hulababy Sun 22-Jun-08 22:18:01

MintyandTink - probably best you start turning down those invites; I don't think you can dictate what food budget people put on their parties!

meridian Sun 22-Jun-08 22:19:23

LOL... I must admit to be a bit of the bunting cupcake brigade on party food... I make homeade cupcakes, nachos with bean dip, birds shiny cobs with nice ham wink ... and a variety of fresh dips and veg... cookies and chocolates.... grin

<slinks off to polish muffin tins>

Sidge Sun 22-Jun-08 22:20:08

You've obviously not thrown a birthday party for a young child yet. They ignore the organic vegetables and hummus dip and scoff the party rings in neon colours and hula hoops.

That's what birthday parties are all about - cheese cubes on sticks and cheesy puffs that make your fingers orange. If children eat well 99.9% of the time the odd bit of crap food at a party won't hurt them.

If you want caviar and crudites take your own...

ranting Sun 22-Jun-08 22:20:27

Oh I want an invite to little Tinks next bday party, I hear they have a better class of carrot stick there.wink

unknownrebelbang Sun 22-Jun-08 22:20:47

Priceless.

AbbeyA Sun 22-Jun-08 22:21:02

I agree with spicemonster-refuse the invitations and the problem is solved!

Mintyandtink, I suggest that you share your views with the party thrower - you may be pleasantly surprised.

My guess is that you would kill two birds with one stone ...no more vile party food cos i'm pretty sure you and your little darling wouldn't be invited again ...

SquiffyHock Sun 22-Jun-08 22:21:58

What is a 'birds shiny cob'????

meridian, I too make most of the food for DCs' parties. But I don't get my knickers in a twist about my DCs eating crap every now and then (not that carrot sticks and cheese are crap, even if rancid and hard...) Let's wait for Minty to come back and share her birthday menu and hear how she looks after all the guests and gets the timeplan right so the food gets put out whilst in perfect condition. Whilst keeping to a budget.

MintyandTink Sun 22-Jun-08 22:24:58

It is not a big problem, i don't lose any sleep over it, my kids really have a good time, but it still shocks me that fairly educated, aware of the kind of shit that goes into food serves the crap to kids. It puzzles me and I wonder if they eat all that shit all the time or just buy the crappy shit for bday parties.

colacubes Sun 22-Jun-08 22:24:59

Blah blah blah, aload of bollocks, its a kids party not Gordon Fuckin Ramsay, for gawds sake, lighten up. There are people starving, dieing and your pissed about fuckin cocktail sausages, dont go, stay at home and eat alone, so you dont upset anyone with your ungrateful self.

SSSandy2 Sun 22-Jun-08 22:25:05

yes meridian what is it?!

meridian Sun 22-Jun-08 22:26:59

SquiffyHock-- Birds is the local bakery for the midlands.. the do these mini bread cobs that are well shiny... DS loves them becuse they are shiny...

kids eat what they will eat... I wasnt being snobbish about what I make.. I love to bake and cook... that is the fun bit about parties for me... hiding in the kitchen smile

SSSandy2 Sun 22-Jun-08 22:27:06

birds shiny cobs with nice ham

I HAVE to know

SquiffyHock Sun 22-Jun-08 22:27:16

If you Google 'birds shiny cob' you get this

Panfried on a bed of cupcakes anyone?

Mmmm - i too often ponder such things minty ... and what conclusion, may i ask, do you draw?

hmm

SSSandy2 Sun 22-Jun-08 22:27:33

ah ok, thanks

SquiffyHock Sun 22-Jun-08 22:28:13

Lol Meridian! I wasn't being sniffy - I'd just never heard of them and I'm from the midlands!

mrsruffallo Sun 22-Jun-08 22:30:25

Eat before you go and avoid the food.
Unless you eat like that everyday it's really not a problem.

tortoiseSHELL Sun 22-Jun-08 22:31:49

Oh I hope you're not a mum of someone at ds1's party yesterday - we did hot dogs, with ketchup, cheese and tomato pizza (cheap from Asda), hula hoops, party rings, fairy cakes, chocolate fingers, chocolate animal biscuits, chocolate birthday cake.

They all loved it!

MintyandTink Sun 22-Jun-08 22:32:12

Meridian, i like your style!

meridian Sun 22-Jun-08 22:39:20

god my typing has really gone to pot tonight...

Birds the Confectioners is in Derby... they do quite nice cakes.. and lovely bread.. I know because my MIL and GrandMIL both like it and they are very proper and lovely ... I just like cupcakes...

and everyone knows who likes NICE ham...

snice Sun 22-Jun-08 22:39:53

Spooted you as being in Derbyshire Meridian the minute I clocked "Birds shiny cobs"

They are peculiarly shiny aren't they?

sleepycat Sun 22-Jun-08 22:40:40

It is supposed to be fun, a treat, cakes and crisps and all the things they don't have everyday.

Bah Humbug!!

ranting Sun 22-Jun-08 22:41:51

Well I don't know about you but, I just despair of the lack of cheeselets at the ones we attend. Some people just have no class!!

watsthestory Sun 22-Jun-08 22:41:58

Message withdrawn

meridian Sun 22-Jun-08 22:45:45

snice- LOL they are most defintly shiny... don't get me started on the pink gravel they put on the mirangues or the green grass ont eh strawberry tarts.. grin

At DS2's party yesterday we served:
pizza fingers
Hula Hoops
chocolate fingers
Rice Krispie cakes
tomatoes
grapes
strawberries
cucumber sticks
cocktail sausages.
Guess what got left uneaten? All the fruit and veg.
And these are middle class children who I'm sure eat very well at home.
Parties are about eating crap.
Where's the harm?

SquiffyHock Mon 23-Jun-08 07:03:48

The only way I have ever got children to eat anything healthy at a party is to put out big bowls of strawberries and grapes at the beginning, while they are playing. They stand over them like vultures!! Then bring on the jam sandwiches and cupcakes grin

RubyRioja Mon 23-Jun-08 07:11:38

At my dds last High School Musical 'disco' I served - hot dogs with ketchup, popcorn, candyfloss plus squash (yep squash) in a juice fountain. Followed by sweeties in the pinata and massively iced High School Musical Cake.

I don't think there was a natural or unprocessed item there.

Went down a storm. Barely a scrap left. And the parents scoffed it too.

I agree party food does not form main part of diet and no way I would invite you to a party as you sound rude, ungracious and a pita grin

sarah293 Mon 23-Jun-08 07:19:33

Message withdrawn

AbbeyA Mon 23-Jun-08 07:29:27

I wouldn't be prepared to slave away producing healthy, wholesome food for a DC's birthday party because it simply wouldn't get eaten. It doesn't do any harm once in a while. (I always found that it was those who had a very strict diet at home that were stuffing themselves on party junk food-probably why hated by their parents).

Hecate Mon 23-Jun-08 07:34:04

oh please, crappy food is the law at parties! grin

RubySlippers Mon 23-Jun-08 07:37:06

<<hecate - you are back smile >>

i love party food

i would eat it every day if i could

nothing finer than an iced party ring, or iced gems plus a vat of crisps, washed down with juice

Hecate Mon 23-Jun-08 07:41:14

grin yup. Far too addicted. blush

MadamePlatypus Mon 23-Jun-08 07:43:29

So there are people going to children's birthday parties and fretting over the quality of the houmous? REALLY? Do you take bring a little pot of houmous from Harvey Nick's to do a comparison.

"Well, I know you liked the bouncy castle sweetheart, but don't you think the lemon overpowered the chickpeas?".

RubySlippers Mon 23-Jun-08 07:44:59

Hecate - the siren call of MN is impossible to resist

Hecate Mon 23-Jun-08 07:47:32

I know. [shame]
It's a new low for me.

grin

Flamesparrow Mon 23-Jun-08 07:51:50

Tis the hard cheese issue that is baffling me.... surely brie would fall off the cocktail stick?

poshtottie Mon 23-Jun-08 07:52:06

I'm throwing ds his first party next month. Am bloody worried now.

Flamesparrow Mon 23-Jun-08 07:54:52

DD's party last year was in the middle of a whole load of parties in one weekend, and I couldn't face her on all the additives and colourings. Just shopping in Asda, I managed to get all her party food without colourings or additives.

The sausages probably weren't up to scratch though wink

Hecate Mon 23-Jun-08 07:55:35

Well clearly you'll need to hire someone. Sausage rolls and jelly just won't cut it anymore! Can you afford Jamie or Nigella?

wink

poshtottie Mon 23-Jun-08 07:58:29

That guy Hugh Fearnley-W lives close by, maybe I'll give him a ring to see if he's free. grin

onebatmother Mon 23-Jun-08 08:14:11

how
very
odd
indeed

can you even buy 'good quality' cocktail sausages?

MadamePlatypus Mon 23-Jun-08 08:16:21

I never expect children to eat much at parties. Most of the time they don't coincide with a meal time and the children are more interested in playing/seeing their friends. All brands of houmous and cupcake are equal when trodden into the floor.

On the other hand maybe some children still go to parties where the nanny brings them and the children wear white gloves and they have to eat the meat paste sandwiches before eating one fairy cake, and the parents stay at home and drink cocktails? Hmm, maybe there is another way...

aDad Mon 23-Jun-08 08:18:33

It's a party. The rules are you serve up shit that kids like.

You are fighting a losing battle if you try to do anything else!

YeahBut Mon 23-Jun-08 08:23:29

The whole point of a party is that it is something out of the ordinary and being able to scoff a lot of junk is part of that.

EffiePerine Mon 23-Jun-08 08:35:46

Hard cheese? What on earth is wrong with that? DS lives on hard cheese

Thos poor paretns, taking time to ut on a party and you go rodun snigging at the food.

I'd be more worried about teaching my children incredibly bad manners. What a rude woman.

EffiePerine Mon 23-Jun-08 08:36:17

what happened to my keyboard there? It must be feeling fractious as well wink

Izzybel Mon 23-Jun-08 08:41:16

At my DD's Birthday party (she was only one so it was mainly adults) we served salad, cucumber and celery sticks, dip.
We also served loads of party 'crap' like party rings (can't have a party without them), cocktail sausages, scotch eggs, cakes and jelly and ice cream.

People were delighted and the whole lot was scoffed except for the vegetables! Crappy party food is what it's all about smile.

TheArmadillo Mon 23-Jun-08 08:46:39

This is a joke, surely?

EffiePerine Mon 23-Jun-08 08:47:45

mmm party rings...

TheArmadillo Mon 23-Jun-08 08:48:22

IF not are you used to everyone following your orders or something.

I can see this going really well.

Surely parents should have, y'know, free will to decide these things themselves or are you and your kids so important you override anyone elses opinions/wants hmm

TheArmadillo Mon 23-Jun-08 08:51:42

can you imagine a party food task food - sent to check all food before party starts.

'I'm sorry ma'am I think these are <shudder> tesco party sausages'.

The look of shame on the parent's face as they are clamped and led down the van to be 'reeducated'. All the neighbours looking on.

herbietea Mon 23-Jun-08 09:01:12

Message withdrawn

uberalice Mon 23-Jun-08 09:29:26

By MintyandTink on Sun 22-Jun-08 22:12:35
nice crisps, nice humous, nice sausages...
not shitty crisps, crappy humous and tesco value sausages.

Nice crisps = high in salt
Shitty crisps = high in salt
Nice hummous = high in salt
Crappy hummous= high in salt
Nice sausages = high in salt
Tesco value sausages = high in salt.

wink

A children's party is not a party without Wotsits or supermarket's own cheesy balls IMVHO.

Think we're nearly all in agreement then. Crappy food is the party food of choicegrin

Tortington Mon 23-Jun-08 09:42:53

i only serve sushi freshly made by my japanese chef.

BettySpaghetti Mon 23-Jun-08 10:00:16

A party wouldn't be a party without some shite food! If a child can't eat crappy crisps at a party when can they eat them?

IME most food gets wasted anyway as the children are too busy playing/waiting for cake/asking for their party bag (wink) to actually eat very much.

I guess budget is also an issue for a lot of people especially if there are a fair few invited

onebatmother Mon 23-Jun-08 10:08:57

balls is humous high in salt? Buggeration that's my staple healthy bit in ds;s diet.

It's also got approaching twice the fat of single cream grin

This thread is hilarious btw. I'm as organic beetrooty as the next woman but kids' party food is enshrined in law as fatty, salty, sugary, cheap crap. And quite rightly. It's a party. Or does the OP take raw vegetable chunks to the cinema to nibble on instead of popcorn? And offer the DP a vegan alfalfa seed wrap instead of a hot dog at football?

onebatmother Mon 23-Jun-08 10:23:46

lol margo. i saw that woman the other day at the cinema. it was only the possibility that her poor dc's had allergies that prevented me from shouting "look, a new branch of the natural shoe store has opened right behind you" to distract her attention, which would have afforded me the opp. to slip the kids some haribo-flavoured haagen daz

sarah293 Mon 23-Jun-08 12:25:55

Message withdrawn

Cammelia Mon 23-Jun-08 12:31:02

MintyandTink, this should not be in Food. It should be in AIBU

And yes YABU

deanychip Mon 23-Jun-08 12:35:54

jeeez, guilt piled on guilt!
i agonise over the food i serve, is it ok? is it enough? is it presented ok?

feel bad enough thenks without your twopwnneth worth. sad

this time, i have only invited 2 kids from school class to play with butties n crisps n party cake.......is that ok?
grin

Cammelia Mon 23-Jun-08 12:38:00

PMSL: at the concept of nice crap party food

MsSparkle Mon 23-Jun-08 12:48:23

You would have loved my dd's birthday food then, bearing in mind my dp owns a bakery.

We had (majority made at the bakery that day):

Sausage rolls
Pizza slices
mini iced buns
sandwiches made with fresh bakery bread and quality homemade fillings
chocolate fingers (mmm)
pink wafer biscuits
mini cheese and onion pasties
kettle crisps

Who wants to come to my party...grin

hanaflowerisnothana Mon 23-Jun-08 12:58:50

Me me me! Especially for the pink wafer biscuits. Actually, even Minty might come if there are kettle chips rather than (shudder) cheap crisps.

cupsoftea Mon 23-Jun-08 13:01:42

I just do a big cake at a party - no one misses all the other food

katw3kitts Mon 23-Jun-08 13:17:41

I dont know how old your DCs are Minty but I'm afraid shitty food is part and parcel of most parties in this country no matter what stock you are from.

I dont know why we bother providing food as 9 times out of 10 times it goes to waste.

Most kids just eat the crisps and crap (mine included) 'cos they rarely get it at home. I always make sure my kids go to parties at playcentres having had a good meal beforehand and then they hopefully just eat crisps or biscuits and ignore any dodgy sausages or worse grin.

I know I've influenced my kids in their choice of food as they wont touch a nugget unless I've made it grin

ItsNotOnlyTheGoodBits Mon 23-Jun-08 13:20:36

I'm reading this and giggling to myself.

Yesterday Baby GoodBits (23 months) went to his first ever birthday party - a friend's 2nd. Normally I make sure he eats fairly heathily and was pleased with the range of food on offer. Two different sandwich fillings, cocktail sausages, crisps, ice-cream, cake.

The only things that I thought were odd were the crudities and fruit plates. Since when were they b'day party staples?! I cretainly don't remember them from my childhood.

Usually I avoid giving him crisps, but as everyone else has said - it's a party, so I put some on the far side of his plate thinking he would eat the stuff in front first. Did he heack - he reached over everything else and scoffed the crips! grin

Was a bit hmm at the lack of party rings and fondant fancies though. When I told my mother she said that apparently you can't have a kids' party without them. Thankfully reading this thread I see it is still the case in the majority on instances!

OrmIrian Mon 23-Jun-08 13:21:12

FFS!

What happens if you are broke? And your DS wasnts to invited 20 little friends? Do you have to limit the numbers because certain mother will only accept the very best food for their little darlings? Sorry DS, you can't have a party this year - we can't afford 4 dozen quails eggs and the organic parma ham is just too expensive hmm.

IME most children only eat the biscuits and crisps anyway and would run away in terror if presented with hummous - of any quality.

I'd keep your precious child at home away from all such evil influences.

cupsoftea Mon 23-Jun-08 13:23:15

one big choc cake & everyone is happy - nothing else

OrmIrian Mon 23-Jun-08 13:23:37

I have rediscoved party rings recently. I have bought them religiously for all my DC's parties over the years but never tried them. I did the other day and they are blardy lovely!

MrsMattie Mon 23-Jun-08 13:24:45

How old is your child? When DS was one he had never tasted sugar and I frowned on people who didn't feed their child a non-stop diet of brown rice and broccoli. Now he is 3 and a half and has been known to put away 5 fair cakes-a-time at birthday parties. he has a worrying penchant for cheap sausagemeat and fizzy drinks are the only thing I have successfully managed to shield him from.

Srriously, it's no biggie. If you feed your child well on a daily basis, the odd sausage roll at a party won't kill them. Honest.

MintyandTink Mon 23-Jun-08 13:30:29

The whole point I want to make is that lots of people serve just really poor quality food and I find it as if they don't give a shit for their guests,- kids and parents!

This is somthing that bothers me and none of the narky comments posted here have made me change my opinion.

I LOATHE CRAPPY PARTY FOOD!

Thank you very much,

katw3kitts Mon 23-Jun-08 13:32:37

Orm: Even if you are broke you can still have a party for 20. You dont have to spend a fortune I'm sure.

Have a party at home or in the park. The other kids mums arent expecting you to give them their quota of 5 a day you know ... or am I missing something !

MintyandTink Mon 23-Jun-08 13:32:50

I know it is not a biggie but it is one of my pet hates, saddo, perhaps? But it really tickles me!!

OrmIrian Mon 23-Jun-08 13:33:53

Well I guess it depends on your definition of 'good' food and also of being broke. But I suppose you don't have to serve food at all, but most children expect it.

EffiePerine Mon 23-Jun-08 13:35:10

well I don't think you are being a very good guest!

SoupDragon Mon 23-Jun-08 13:35:50

snob

FluffyMummy123 Mon 23-Jun-08 13:36:18

Message withdrawn

SoupDragon Mon 23-Jun-08 13:37:06

Barely any of the food gets eaten anyway. I wouldn't waste my money on poncey finest-organic-watered-by-the-tears-of-angels food only to have it ground into the floor or spat out and sneezed on by children.

loveverona Mon 23-Jun-08 13:37:17

See what you're saying Minty, but I don't think I've ever attended a party with crap quality food, maybe you should mention this to your mates...! My DD had her birthday party yesterday and we had all the yummies - cocktail sausages (Tesco!), houmous, carrot/cucumber sticks, toms, grapes, sarnies, all made by me in the morning. Nothing, IMO, was 'crap' and it was all enjoyed by everyone. Strawberries and icecream and bday cake to end. Oh, and I've just finished off the sausages. Luvverly!

loveverona Mon 23-Jun-08 13:39:19

Agree with you SoupDragon - no point in breaking your neck, or bank balance, to be different when kids are very happy with the usual. I did do something a little different and have 'alternative' party bags, but that's a whole new thread!

Turniphead1 Mon 23-Jun-08 13:46:04

Hedy minty maybe you should join forces with Jules Oliver and go to parties with your own supplies? Apparently she alienated all the Primrose Hill set with her snobbery on this issue.

Frankly, I think you need to get over yourself. The parties I go to, the food is a mixture of healthy, carrot sticks (not sure how your hosts seem to provide you with rancid! are they letting them go mouldy???), cheese, grapes, sandwiches, hummous and then the ever popular hula hoops, crisps, cocktail sausages, jelly and ice cream.

My main problem is finding the ingredients of things as my child is allergic to milk and egg and all of the above can be a minefield. I would LOVE just to be able to let her loose to have whatever she chooses, after all she eats healthily all the other days.

And as for Fox's Party Rings and the pink wafer biscuits, these are my saviour as they are actually dairy and egg free, but "crappy" enough that my DD doesn't feel left out whilst everyone tucks into the cake.

MrsMattie Mon 23-Jun-08 13:49:55

What is crappy food? What do you expect at a kid's party? I'm confused.

LadyOfWaffle Mon 23-Jun-08 13:49:57

Birthday parties = crappy food, it's the law. I love seeing kids up to their eyeballs in party rings and wotsits, reminds me of my youth grin

kiddiz Mon 23-Jun-08 13:54:51

When my dcs were little there was a trend at for birthday parties at Mcdonalds. This wasn't a place we took our dcs to..not for any other reason than DH and I don't particularly like burgers etc. so never fed them to dcs. No big moral issue or anything. The first birthday party ds2 went to there his eyes lit up and he proceeded to eat all his food, all his brothers and anybody elses he could persuade to give it to him!! All the other kids were playing games while my ds was sat at the table eating all the leftover cold chips! Oh the shame!!!blush But it was a one off and it didn't kill him and he now, at 17, never sets foot in a macdonalds....He doesn't like it!

MrsMattie Mon 23-Jun-08 13:54:59

I remember feasting on wotsits and cherryade at kid's parties. It was heaven.

katebee Mon 23-Jun-08 13:55:17

I completely agree with Minty...it is nice to serve traditional party food such as sausages but decent ones..not the ready cooked ones that taste plasticy..I buy nice waitrose cocktail sausages and cook them prior to party and they taste so much better..for under fives one can serve up slightly healthier pom bear crisps with less salt in.

I find traditional cheese and pineapple on sticks always go down well with the Mums.. I know of some School Mums who don't bother serving sandwiches as "no one will eat them"..yet I've found that if you use cutters to make them into nice shapes - star etc..the children will munch quite a few..

I'm not the worlds best cake maker so not everything is home made but I think that if one makes an effort with the food it is really appreciated and there is not much waste..also the food is tasty enough to be polished off by family members afterwards, reducing the waste further.

It is also frustrating when you find an outside venue that has good soft play or whatever but the food is yuk and party bags full of plastic rubbish..then you have no control over what the children eat or the party bag gifts.

juniperdewdrop Mon 23-Jun-08 14:00:30

I did pasta with cheese, pizza, popcorn, crisps and sandwiches with biscuits and cake for afters at the last party in the house and most of it went.
Mine will eat pepper/carrot sticks and mini toms but most kids just leave them.

Twelvelegs Mon 23-Jun-08 14:04:11

We have good quality crap food, jelly ice cream, chocolate fingers, chocolate animals, iced rings, carrot sticks, cucumber sticks, cherry tomatoes, fairy cakes (homemade) and sandwiches...... never shitty sausages....

Turniphead1 Mon 23-Jun-08 14:06:04

Do have to admit that 9/10 the food at the indoor play centre places in truly revolting. That's where you cross the line into "shitty party food".

It would be quite funny to serve at a kids party, sushi, beef carpaccio, gazpacho and endive salad. Noone's kids excepts Minty's PFB would be able to eat anything...

AbbeyA Mon 23-Jun-08 14:06:40

Parents who have total control over their DC's diet don't like parties because their DC is suddenly exposed to junk food and they can't refuse, without being unfriendly,to let their DC eat it. If you have a balanced diet the odd party is not going to hurt IMO. These are the same people who don't like choc bars handed out for birthdays and find Easter a nuisance.

FAQ Mon 23-Jun-08 14:08:49

<<<<<<makes mental note when next organising a birthday party on a shoe string budget to make sure that there are no PFB's being invited - as cheap food all the way here>>>>>>>>

paperdoll Mon 23-Jun-08 14:10:34

Have not read whole thread, but did the OP not say, it's not the type of food she minds about, just the state it's in, eg the cheese being hard and so forth?

Reactions on first page or two read as if she has been misunderstood hmm

Having said that, it is a fairly boring thread anyway [leaves]

snowleopard Mon 23-Jun-08 14:12:47

Haven't read whole thread but I agree with Minty. Great swearing too. That is a lot of usages of "shitty sausages"

I love doing nice party food, no shitty sausages, and everyone (adults and children) gets the same. Last time it was homemade hummous and fruit tarts, posh crisps, schmancy waitrose pizza and bread, nice cheese, nice olives etc. They all ate it too.

It wasn't the cheapest food but that was it, no venue, no entertainer, just at home in the garden so not expensive overall.

<joins poncy bunting contingent>

Having said that DS went to a birthday party at a soft play centre with plasticky fairy cakes and neon icing galore and a big bag of wotsits for each toddler and he loved it. I don't object to a pile of crap once in a while.

MilaMae Mon 23-Jun-08 14:24:23

So how does your dc feel about this???

I hope you're not so rude in RL as your dd will almost certainly be off most party invite lists.

An invite to anything should always be excepted graciously,somebody is providing food for your child and trying to give her a good time. Unless you're paying for it I don't think you have a right to complain.

I'm afraid re parties I wouldn't dream of feeding "quality food" to a gang of 4 year olds. The vast majority of it gets ground into the carpet or left.

Why on earth would I throw money away on other peoples kids when to them a sausage is a sausage, a cheese cube a cheese cube? Parties are expensive enough anyway and for a lot of parents after a venue has been hired,entertainment planned etc there isn't a lot of money left for a cornucopia of organic titbits.

Also like most kids my lot eat very healthily most of the time so it's a pleasure watching them excitedly tucking into a dream spread of all the foods they don't have that often. It's what being a kid is all about. Actually when I think about it the food is what they look forward to the most.

nooka Mon 23-Jun-08 14:34:12

I also hate cheap sausages (ditto sausage rolls). They just taste so nasty. But then there is a big difference to parties where you are inviting families (toddler parties really) and those for older kids (mainly primary age). I think if you are expecting grown ups it is a bit sad to have very poor quality food. I'd rather have less food/plainer food than nasty food. But then it's one of the few times when I really cook, and I am also quite fussy in respect of pre-prepared food (I blame this on my lentil weaving mum) for example I really dislike shop bought cake (even from expensive shops).

But I suspect that most people commenting here have older kids, and I agree they don't really eat anything, complain if you make what you think is nice food (ie non junk) and don't bring their parents anyway. Also to be honest any home party food is way way nicer than the truly awful stuff you get at any organised party venue (McDonalds in this respect serve high quality food!).

MilaMae Mon 23-Jun-08 14:36:35

I think you may have a bigger garden than me Snowleopard grin.Would love to do the same but as our garden is sooo teeny we have to fork out to hire a venue. I do all our own games etc(which adds up too) but even so I'm afraid the food has to be done on a budget.

I include some grapes,hummus etc for the pfbs and my own lot who love all that too but the majority is I have to say cheap party fare. I check for no rehydronised fat-can't spell(I have my limits) but other than that as far as I'm concerned a 50% pork sausage on a stick aint going to kill anybody as a one off.

I

TheDullWitch Mon 23-Jun-08 14:37:48

I don't care about crisps and wotsits and sugary biscuits and other party shite. But I'd never serve really bad quality meat products. All made from lips and arseholes off the abbatoir floor.

Cammelia Mon 23-Jun-08 14:38:01

I'm also PMSL at thread title which seems to be shouting an order at us.

"Thank U Kindly" hmm

MadamePlatypus Mon 23-Jun-08 14:42:49

I think that generally parents realise that the food isn't that important to the children and prepare the food in advance so that they can concentrate on other things. This may account for carrot sticks being past their best and the cheese not being in perfect condition - its not so much not caring about your guests as prioritising how you spend your resources. I think most children would prefer to spend the party budget on a bouncy castle and ditch the superior brand of houmous.

Ofcourse, some people may be able to get hampers from fortnums, hire a bouncy castle, a clown and a donkey to give rides around the grounds. I suspect these people are also able to visit a spa on the day of the party. Lucky them.

kiddiz Mon 23-Jun-08 14:43:39

All open to interpretation too. If you gave my dcs the most perfect hummus in the world they would consider it shitty as they all hate it.

snowleopard Mon 23-Jun-08 14:47:44

Tis a small garden, but I know not everyone has one. But I would have a picnic in the park or cinema outing rather than go to a soft play type venue. I hate the noise and kids shooting around everywhere - at ours, they have several different parties going on at the same time with coloured tabards so you know which party you're at! DS can enjoy all that at other people's parties

MilaMae Mon 23-Jun-08 14:57:45

I also think this thread is a little insensitive at the moment,have read several threads and posts from people who are clearly struggling at them moment financially. Being berated for serving "shitty"food at their kids parties isn't exactly going to make them feel great is it.

MintyandTink Mon 23-Jun-08 15:00:47

yeah, I can be called a snob! No probs with that label- I'd rather be a snob that let my kids/myself eat shitty sausages.

kiddiz Mon 23-Jun-08 15:01:55

Wait until they are attending teenage parties where the dubious quality of the food being served will be the least of your worries!

FluffyMummy123 Mon 23-Jun-08 15:40:03

Message withdrawn

hanaflowerisnothana Mon 23-Jun-08 15:42:56

I think frazzles are vegetarian. I prefer wheat crunchies myself.

Anna8888 Mon 23-Jun-08 15:44:40

Agree with the OP. I hate the crap served at children's parties.

Am planning my daughter's fourth party for November... NO ENTERTAINER AND NO CRAPPY FOOD

Twinkie1 Mon 23-Jun-08 15:46:10

I am educated, relatively well off and DS only eats shit (and fruit) all of the time - I have tried and tried to get him to eat something different but he hs issues with textures!

Parties are fun and for us a time when DS eats loads.

YUBU!

MintyandTink Mon 23-Jun-08 15:51:17

wooo hoooo Anna8888...
It feels lonely at the this end of the snob-spectrum!

PrimulaVeris Mon 23-Jun-08 15:54:06

Cocktail sausages, cheesy wotsits and fruit shoots always went down a storm at my dc's parties

... particularly with kids brought up on a diet of filtered water and organic nut cutlets wink

sorry to be pedantic but a carrot stick can never ever be rancid. I'm not sure what word you where looking for but rancid can only be used to describe oil which has gone off.

MadamePlatypus Mon 23-Jun-08 16:05:44

Perhaps if they were boiled carrot sticks coated in loads of butter and then left to hang around for a few days? I would agree that would be pretty nasty. Maybe the OP has just been to some strange birthday parties. Perhaps the hard cheese is left over bits of Stilton rind? Maybe the houmous was homemade, but they made some awful mistake like using lemon squash rather than lemon juice? Maybe we should keep an open mind. Perhaps the OP has had a really bad experience.

4andnotout Mon 23-Jun-08 16:08:19

oh i would love some party food now, sausage rolls,cheese straws,slightly warm ham sandwiches cut into triangles grin

snickersnack Mon 23-Jun-08 16:09:19

I think perhaps a better question might have been "why serve this food at a party if you wouldn't serve it to your children normally?". I would try and make sure that I was buying decent-ish sausages for parties, because I don't like the idea of serving anyone's children spine-in-a-casing type sausages and as a rule I try and buy decent ones for anyone I'm catering for. But I certainly wouldn't worry too much about the occasional cheap sausage consumed at someone else's party...

I am giggling at the idea of rancid carrot sticks...<makes mental note to buy top-notch carrots for next birthday party to satisfy the food snob parents>.

And hard cheese rather than what? Soft cheese? Am struggling to imagine a crowd of 4 year olds munching their way through a ripe Camembert. Or am I missing something?

hatrick Mon 23-Jun-08 16:11:55

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

snickersnack Mon 23-Jun-08 16:13:49

And I am highly entertained by the idea of crappy hummus...can someone enlighten me on what the ingredients list on a pot of crappy hummus would look like?

hatrick Mon 23-Jun-08 16:15:21

AbbeyA Mon 23-Jun-08 16:15:58

I agree with kiddiz, make the most of worrying whether your DC eats cheap sausages because there is far more to worry about at teenage parties!

yes where exactly can one buy this 'crappy humous'? All the humous on the shelves of every supermarket in the UK is make in the same factory by the same manufacturer, and no one does a value version do they?

snickersnack you mean you don't serve camembert to 4 yr olds at parties?!shock Whyever not?

AbbeyA Mon 23-Jun-08 16:37:42

I think you are supposed to make your own hummus-making sure all ingredients are organic!!

proper sensible question. What's a party ring?? and do I need one?

EffiePerine Mon 23-Jun-08 16:47:12

biscuits
neon colours
lovely (am serious;ly considerig buying a packet on my way home)

EffiePerine Mon 23-Jun-08 16:47:57

a party ring is a round iced biscuit with a hole in the midle - essential party fare along with twiglets and jammy dodgers a

do children still light the ends of twiglets and smoke them btw ?

Psychomum5 Mon 23-Jun-08 16:49:49

I would feel utterly awful is someone came to a party for one of my children, and then had the audacity (sp?) and snobbery to complain about the food.

how RUDE*shock.

*I
would rather you not except the invite, thank U kindly!

I cannot always afford the very very high quality food that I would feed my children had it not been a party......nt least because a party in my house normally constists of minimum 15 guests if I have a cut off of 10invites, seeing as I have 5 children myself. I would rather they had plenty of food, than 'posh' food that MAY go, but not all, as 99% of the time, kiddies come expecting 'crap' and therefore won;t eat anything unless it is crap....

<<sigh>>wink

oh, and just as an aside, for some bizarre reason, it is mainly tesco value products that have the least additives, and also are mainly milk free, which seeing as I am highly allergic to milk, plus 3 of my children are, is actually a godsend, as it means thay my children can eat all they want and not react!!!

grin

filthymindedvixen Mon 23-Jun-08 16:51:00

I remember one 2nd birthday party we went to: all raisins and dried apricots and rice cakes and only water to drink - and nothing provided for adults at all though it was lunchtime. It was the quietest children's party ever. And no fricking cake!It was also the gloomiest children's party ever....

EffiePerine Mon 23-Jun-08 16:51:01

how odd about Tesco Value! I wonder why?

FioFio Mon 23-Jun-08 16:51:54

Message deleted

EffiePerine Mon 23-Jun-08 16:52:04

ah I have been to a sugar-free children's party (complete with sugar-free cake which DS promptly spat out again grin)

feeling very sad at thought of raisins and rice cakes party

Thanks. I know what they are now. I think I was getting them confused with "prawn rings" such as those you see in Iceland at Christmas, and struggling to wonder at the place they would hold at a kid's party!!

Why is is odd Effie? Just because they are marketted as value doesn't mean they are necessarily inferior goods. Usually they are made by one of the big manufacturers as part of a deal with tesco who will then stock their branded goods too.

<boak> at prawn rings.

I love party rings though, mmmm

Guess who make Tesco's value jam? (and their organic and fairtrade jam too).......

The same company that make bon maman jam, that's who. The recipes may be different but they still use the same fruit and sugar.

EffiePerine Mon 23-Jun-08 16:56:23

oh I know they aren't inferior, but I would have assumed they were bulked out with cheaper ingredients (maybe milk isn't cheap?)

prettybird Mon 23-Jun-08 16:57:07

I serve cocktail sasages at ds' birthday parties - usually the adults eat most of them. ('cos we have the space, we usually have a parallel party while a friend, who is a magician, entertains the kids -and then afterwards they run around the garden until the adults decide to leave blush). TBH - I get the best quality I can find, but that seems tobe difficult from even big supermarkets - the only sem-decent ones I have found are frozen ones and even they exude loads of water hmm

Kids' parties are often a load of crappy food - which, once a year, they enjoy. I follow Nigella's template (with a few bits of my own), with piles of marmite sandwiches, cheese sandwiches, hula hoops and quavers (birthday and Christmas are the only times they are bought), crips, cheese star biscuits, mustard/honey cocktail sausages, lots of Lidl gummy sweeties, traffic light jellies, fairy cakes, "age" biscuits (7s last year, 8s this year) and of course birthday cake. Washed down by fruit shoots - and jugs of diluting juice. I do put out bowls of fruit - but they are mostly ignored.

Most of the time the kids are too excited/running around to eat much anyway.

The adults probably eat more of it - the only difference being that in our case it is washed down by bubbly grin.

In terms of the OP, I'm impressed by the fact that there is something as healthy as carrot sticks! wink

louii Mon 23-Jun-08 16:58:33

I am kinda with the OP.

I would not eat shitty food and would not expect other people to, I use a good local butchers so get cocktail sausages and make my own sausage rolls, chicken dippers etc

Nothing wrong with crisps and chocolate etc but i do object to cheapy processed meat and chicken, for example i would not dream of eating a frozen burger, have you seen the shite that comes out them, bleurgh. Why would i serve it to others.

Same when i go out for a meal why on earth in a good restaurant do they insist on having a childrens menu which has bloody frozen fish fingers/chicken etc.

Not too difficult to use fresh ingredients, just because they are kids why should they eat processed rubbish angry

I always order from the adults menu for ds.

AbbeyA Mon 23-Jun-08 16:59:11

Dried apricots, raisins,rice cakes and water!! Not much birthday joy there-I wonder what they got on a normal day?!

not always effie, usually they contain less ingredients though, and that's a good thing.

A lot of the manufacturers make no profit from supplying tesco's value ranges, but they get shelf space for their own products so on balance need to do it.

Tesco don't make a profit on a lot of the value ranges either, but it draws people into the store who then buy other stuff with a high mark-up so it still benefits Tesco (obviousoy, or they wouldn't do it lol)

FioFio Mon 23-Jun-08 17:01:02

Message deleted

filthymindedvixen Mon 23-Jun-08 17:02:21

I know! It was 8 years ago and I still think of the joyless freak of a mum every time I buy a packet of party rings grin

BetteNoire Mon 23-Jun-08 17:03:56

LOL @ FMV grin

MintyandTink Mon 23-Jun-08 17:28:42

Chillax girls, i' ve never complaint to the their faces. We always say thank you very much for the lovely party.

louii - you are feeling my pain!

Pretty bird- Looovely! A bit of bubbly for the parents! Not just OJ!

My paint was about sausages - in particular bad sausages. I never mentioned raisis, cucumber sticks and lentils.

kittywise Mon 23-Jun-08 17:30:19

You miserable old mare. Pity your poor dc shock

Psychomum5 Mon 23-Jun-08 17:31:23

I agree with not using processed meat products, well, in theory......my children have some, but not much beyond sausages in all honesty.

chicken nuggets are normaly free-from ones, because of allergies, (and I do not like the taste of the value oneswink), but burgers, birds eye one's especially, are 100% meat......no fillers at all.....and they are very very tastygrin.

as for value products being mainly milk free, like I say, completely bizarre....but, they are also (a lot of the time), actually healthier anyway....no additives etc. maybe the additives are the pricy partwinkgrin!

prettybird Mon 23-Jun-08 17:33:20

grinFMV.

I'll just rub my halo about the fact that at ds' parties it might be "shitty" - buut at least it is home made! grin

Cammelia Mon 23-Jun-08 17:35:10

I have never ordered from the children's menu either for dd except v. occasionally in France if smaller portions of adult food are available on it.

But what's that got to do with attending one of your dc's friends b/day party???

hatrick Mon 23-Jun-08 17:36:14

FioFio Mon 23-Jun-08 17:37:22

Message deleted

prettybird Mon 23-Jun-08 17:41:28

I've finally got round to uploading a picure: the Dalek cake I made fro ds' 6th birthday. I'd got very good at making Thomas (and friends) cakes - so the Dalek was a wee bit of a challenge. Last year's one (his 7th birthday) was a bit better - and it looks like it'll be a Dalek again this year, judhing by the season finale for Docotr Who! grin

nooka Mon 23-Jun-08 17:41:38

It's part of the idea (in society generally) that children should eat rubbish, I think. I guess some of the differences in opinion here is that some people enjoy eating the party junk and think that it's part of having a good time, whereas others think that junk is horrible, and therefore children (and accompanying parents) shouldn't be expected to eat it.

Then there is of course the subplot about shitty sausages...

Cammelia Mon 23-Jun-08 17:41:56

I WOUDL BE GRATEFUL IS PEOPLEMintyandTink WOULD STOP using txt spk .! Thank u kindly !

MadamePlatypus Mon 23-Jun-08 17:43:05

I order from the children's menu in Carluccio's and Pizza Express. I think its OK though because they are middle class restaurants.

MadamePlatypus Mon 23-Jun-08 17:49:22

Do you think Jamie and Hugh could be persuaded to start a campaign called "Houmous Watch"?

nooka Mon 23-Jun-08 17:54:24

I'd like restaurants to give you the option to have half portions for children because ds always wants things on the adult menu (to be fair he does have a hearty appetite). I do find the idea that children only eat processed food troubling. The Pizza Express one is great though (we usually end up with two adult and two children's ones and ds eats half of my big pizza) dd loves the babinochino

roffle at humous watch

There is no such thing as 'Junk Food' you know, only a junk diet.

nooka I've spent all of this year trying to get restaurants around here to do exactly that, only to be met by opposition and reluctance the whole way. It's very infuriating.

The term junk food is an oxymoron, in fact.

onebatmother Mon 23-Jun-08 18:23:31

Oooh OverMyDeadBody

How do you know that about Jam? Do you know more important facts about the strange world of Own Brand? I will pay money..

AbbeyA Mon 23-Jun-08 18:48:44

I think that from time to time people will have to accept that their DCs eat food that they wouldn't choose to give them. Up until the age of 2yrs it isn't much of a problem and after 3yrs it gradually becomes more difficult unless you socially isolate them.
I think it is much better to eat a balanced healthy diet as a family and not worry about the occasional party or chocolate bar. They are not going to do any harm if they are not part of the everyday diet. Making a fuss about them is going to make them seem attractive.

Turniphead1 Mon 23-Jun-08 18:52:20

I am just back from a 4th birthday party. I don't think Minty would have approved. sad She may even have had to make a citizen's arrest. I now have heartburn from eating, probably very cheap but bloody delicious, garlic bread x 5 slices. Being 3 months pregnant was my excuse on that score.

My DD grought her own party rings and pink wafter biscuits in a bag as they are dairy free and you know, just in case it had been a spetic raisins and rice cakes party. Luckily it wasn't...Effie come round to mine - we still have loads of party rings left

They did have Pimms though. Which I felt relieved about ,in case maybe Minty dropped in, on her way through da hood. No houmous, shitty or otherwise to be seen.

Psychomum great tip about Tesco Value being more dairy free. Didn't know that. My only great tip is that McVities Rich tea have milk but for some reason M&S's don't...

OBM due to very very good connections from high up in the food industry I know lots and lots about own brand products, and could tell you who makes pretty much all the supermarket own brand goods. What are you willing to pay me?grin

Maybe I'll start a thread

MsSparkle Mon 23-Jun-08 20:37:23

Minty i am genuinly interested in what YOU would serve at a party?

Cammelia Mon 23-Jun-08 20:51:12

She's alraedy said, nice crisps

as opposed to shitty crisps hmm

buzzcocks Mon 23-Jun-08 20:55:14

LOL

Love2bake Mon 23-Jun-08 21:11:22

What does it matter if your DC's eat SHITTY crisps every now and then, if they get the BEST ones at home!!

I think you have too much time to worry about non-issues.

onebatmother Mon 23-Jun-08 21:11:36

OMDB What are you willing to pay me?

homage? obeisance? many public and elaborate compliments which stress your personal beauty, charm and intellect?

TELL ME WHADDYA WANT!

many public and elaborate compliments would do nicely thanks! and I want to be in your quiche.

Now, what do you want to know? Who makes M&S handcooked potato crisps? Who also makes Waitrose's handcooked potato crisps?

Can you guess?

here's a clue: you probably have one in your kitchen

onebatmother Mon 23-Jun-08 21:22:01

ooh ooh! Is it Rentokil?

onebatmother Mon 23-Jun-08 21:24:49

No? Balls. It's a brand that's a thing, like Hoover? or am I completeley wrong. More clues.

<lays out special-occasion tableware and hoists bunting in quiche clubhouse>

yes yes think of an appliance that you probalby use every day in the kitchen. What's it called?

(you have rentokil in your kitchen?)

who makes posh expensive crisps?

Love2bake Mon 23-Jun-08 21:35:37

Oh oh oh - Kettle crisps!!!!

Bingo!

...and the prize goes to love2bake!

They also make the own brand vegetable crisps and M&S's be good to yourself range of crisps.

what next?...hmm, let me think...

Love2bake Mon 23-Jun-08 21:42:04

Yay - I never win at Bingo!!

But shock that they make M & S crisps.

Spidermama Mon 23-Jun-08 21:44:46

I'm with Minty on this one but I'd never have the guts to say so on Mumsnet.

DOH!

buzzcocks Mon 23-Jun-08 21:45:28

Ms spaekle can I come next time, i like the sound of your party food.

lol it's not too surprising really love2bake, they retail at the same price as a packet of kettle crisps of the same size and are pretty much identical.

<get's ready for OBM's quiche party and the welcoming ceremony>

expatinscotland Mon 23-Jun-08 21:53:13

Dear Host
I don't care what you serve at your own child's birthday party, I know my child will love it as long as there is cake.

Thank you for inviting our daughter!

She so enjoys your child's company and loves to help others celebrate their birthdays.

I know some other childrens' mothers are really arsey about trivial things like a few cocktail sausages, but I hope you don't hold that against their poor kid, who hopefully escaped their I'm-a-tosser-guest gene.

Kind Regards
Even Foreigners Find the OP Rude

buzzcocks Mon 23-Jun-08 21:54:49

when mine were under 6 I would do,
chicken nuggets
jam tarts
veg sticks
mini pizza'a
fairy cakes
strawberries and cream
choc birthday cake.
sausage rolls
crisps
None of it looks healthy. BUT, My Gran made the Jam, I grew the fruit and veg and with the exception of the crisps it was all home made, mindyou that was because dd has a heck of a nut allergy and my mam, nan and I would rather make it between us than deal with an attack.

tori32 Mon 23-Jun-08 21:58:17

What would you suggest? Shop at Harrods for a 1yo birthday bash! FFS whatever next. grin

Love2bake Mon 23-Jun-08 22:00:46

Oooo I will come to the Harrods food party....and I will bring my recyled gift wink

lol expat

AbbeyA Mon 23-Jun-08 22:03:18

I am hoping that MintyandTink is going to say what should be served at a party.

onebatmother Mon 23-Jun-08 22:21:14

blimey buzzcocks, that is true devotion! To have food that looks like the fabulous shitty food that we all love, but is actually .. home made!

OMDB - damn!

rentokil was a joke.. kind of <mice attack a while ago>

But what else, what else? The only name-brand stuff I buy is breakfast cereal (DC's want free gifts) and things like Marmite rather than Sainsbury's Yeasto (or whatever candida-like name it has).

Am I right to do so?

<puffs cushion on guest-of-honour throne (last used by Posh), breathes on glasses>

buzzcocks Mon 23-Jun-08 22:30:11

not really I have a mixer, my nan had it worse she didn't, (because they are the devil you know shock) made the cakes and Jam and I made the pizza's and nuggets, my mam made the sausage rolls.

buzzcocks Mon 23-Jun-08 22:31:16

I did it because a kid SHOULD have party food at THEIR birthday, anything less is cruel.

buzzcocks Mon 23-Jun-08 22:34:48

I did it because a kid SHOULD have shitty party food at THEIR birthday, anything less than that is cruelty wink (buzz wanders off laughing!!)

Locksikas Mon 23-Jun-08 22:38:35

Message withdrawn

Yoplait make most of the supermarkets' own brand yoghurts and yoghurt drinks, apart from some of them (the pouches of froobs lookalikes tesco do spring to mind) which are made by the same frnch company that also make the Bon Mamman jam and the other jams as already mentioned.

They also make the chilled deserts for the supermarkets, and I have it on very good knowledge that the Tesco value chocolate mousse is the best chocolate mousse after gu based on the recipe used and the actual ingredients that go into it.

I don't know much about breakfast cereals tbh, but the big brands will be manufacturing at least some of the supermarket own versions.

Thomcat Mon 23-Jun-08 22:42:31

Actually I may not agree with everything the OP says but I really like it when a parent makes an effort with the food part of a party. I love making the effort with food and always note when others do. I don't mind when they don't which is where I differ from the the OP but I do really like it when it's quality food with healthy options. And yeah, I'd prefer the DDs to tuck into slightly nicer quality sausages rather than tesco value processed pork with water sausages <barf>. Personally I wouldn't serve a child anything I'd not eat myself and I couldn't put value meat sauages near my mouth.

party rings

<drool>

I agree Thomcat, it's nice to go to a party where effort has been made over the food, especially if there are lots of homemade things on offer, but I wouldn't critisize someone who didn't do this.

PeachyWontLieToYou Mon 23-Jun-08 22:47:51

hmmm, i wouldnt serve any non-independent-butchers sausages tbh- says woman whose dad works in a sausage factory and therefore knows!

but beyond that its always been totally constrained by cash and if feeding your child crap for one day helps me feed mine well for a week.....

although i much prefer the in house party deal now- far easier!

PeachyWontLieToYou Mon 23-Jun-08 22:48:46

i have party rings in my cupboard as its gladator re-enactment weekend in our village and we need a picnic- yay!

Locksikas Mon 23-Jun-08 22:50:00

Message withdrawn

onebatmother Mon 23-Jun-08 22:52:25

YOU SEE!! I KNEW that about Tesco Value mousses, on the empirical evidence!!!

Is petit filous included in the yoplait lot?
(oh I know they're full of sugar..)

Did you know, wimmin, that OverMyDeadBody has teeth like pears?

Whaddelsedyankow?

onebatmother Mon 23-Jun-08 22:53:24

like PEARLS!!!!! not PEARS!

<It's not really working, is it, OMDB?>

snowleopard Mon 23-Jun-08 22:54:45

rofl onebat. I had a really vivid mental image there.

onebatmother Mon 23-Jun-08 22:54:53

and that was also supposed to be Whaddelsedyaknow

I might go to bed. What d'you think?

snowleopard Mon 23-Jun-08 22:55:59

I want tesco value mousse now, but I just know there'll be an MN-induced run on it and I just can't be arsed to track it down.

nkf Mon 23-Jun-08 22:56:34

What is a party ring?

snowleopard Mon 23-Jun-08 22:56:53

Who me?

<cannot shake pear teeth image>

stirlingmum Mon 23-Jun-08 22:58:07

I am doing my dd's 7th birthday party tomorrow so am in an frenzy of baking and found this thread really interesting - when I read the title I thought of the parties I had gone to with just sweets, crisps and cakes (and yes, they do happen!) but the op wasn't going on about those - just where sub-standard foods were offerred!

Well tomorrow, my dd's friends will have, home-made cake, local butchers chipolatas, popcorn, rolls with ham & (nice) cheese, grapes & strawberries on cocktail sticks and hot dogs in rolls and ice lollies to finish.

Would that be ok?

nkf Mon 23-Jun-08 22:58:25

Sorry, just seen the pic above.
And I would be very grateful if people could stop writing "u" instead of "you."
It makes me wonder if they do it all the time or just when they're on MN.
It's soooo disespectful to the English language.

roffle roffle

no, it's not really working, but you've made me laugh with images of myself with teath of pears, so that's good!

Petits Filou I'm not sure about, will ask my contacts <taps nose> and get back to you. The French have a monopoly on almost all the yoghurt and chilled deserts in our supermarkets though, three big manufacturers control the industry.

And just incase anyone didn't know, Green and Blacks is owned by Cadbury's.

I'm off to bed now.

snowleopard Mon 23-Jun-08 23:00:43

I hate text speak but I quite like "chillax". Andy on cbeebies used it the other day.

onebatmother Mon 23-Jun-08 23:02:13

I think a party ring involves things in a ring shape, that are party-food-ish.

Like a minted prawn ring?

I may be entirely mistaken, though.

I think that will pass the inspection stirlingmum. Can I come?

snowleopard Mon 23-Jun-08 23:03:38

oh no, the ring thing has become entirely circular <guffaw>

we've been through prawn ring speculation to discover that they are actually iced biccies (which look revolting I might add).

oh obm, see my link!

stirlingmum Mon 23-Jun-08 23:04:59

4:30pm at the village hall - all welcome!

Spidermama Mon 23-Jun-08 23:05:23

Sounds good to me stirlingmum.
Mind you I am the woman who made vegetarian, healthy jelly for a kids party using agar agar and fresh fruit juice. My kids have never lived it down and will never forgive me. sad

But how's this for a party ring?

<boak>

onebatmother Mon 23-Jun-08 23:05:34

stirlingmum, that would definitely be okay. Sounds bloody blissful.

nkf Mon 23-Jun-08 23:06:01

Where oh where did you find that?

oh god I made that mistake too spidermama, but only the once thank god and DS and his friends where too young to remember it grin

it gets worse

(warning-do not open link if you are of a nervous disposition)

nkf Mon 23-Jun-08 23:09:08

What are these things made of?

onebatmother Mon 23-Jun-08 23:09:36

Marguerite Patten's party ring! Who'd have thought it? It's looking.. swollen.

Actually I now realize that I did know htat already about party rings - they're vile (but really pretty)

Spidermama Mon 23-Jun-08 23:09:51

Mmmmmm. With added colour and extra aspartame for that straight-off-the-perfume-counter flavour.

jello of course!

or jelly to you and me

snowleopard Mon 23-Jun-08 23:12:07
nkf Mon 23-Jun-08 23:12:16

They look like creatures in pain.

onebatmother Mon 23-Jun-08 23:13:59

how does one eat those square jellies? They look like finger food, but they can't be.

Unless it's a test of some kind. Are you .. One Of Us? Only if you can eat a slippery multi-coloured perfumed jelly cuboid without spilling your martini or saying the word 'toilet'.

Spidermama Mon 23-Jun-08 23:14:14

Eurch snowleopard. That looks like some entrails my cat has brought in.

Of coure, you'll always get some holier than thou mothers knitting their own party food.

onebatmother Mon 23-Jun-08 23:14:55

hahahahaha!

oh yuk snowleopard, what are those things on the top? Looks like something the cat sicked up

spidermama beat me to it lol

onebatmother Mon 23-Jun-08 23:16:01

Look! A new branch of the natural Shoe Store has opened just Behind You!

<haribo haagen dazs>

roffle

onebatmother Mon 23-Jun-08 23:17:40

Sorry, just realized that the joke to which my last post refers was made on Page 1, some considerable while ago.

those rainbow jelly squares have mesmerised me though. I'm finding them rather beautiful.

Dear God, I must be tired.

I'm oldskool obm, I don't do pages

Spidermama Mon 23-Jun-08 23:19:10

I was trying so hard to work that one out batmum. grin

onebatmother Mon 23-Jun-08 23:26:41

it was omdb's knitted party food which reminded me of margoandjerry's post here.

onebatmother Mon 23-Jun-08 23:28:11

now I am really going to bed. Thanks for a lovely and v informative evening.

<stockpiles mousse>

Spidermama Mon 23-Jun-08 23:31:30

Night.
<slips party rings into bra>

onebatmother Mon 23-Jun-08 23:35:21

<notes fact that spidermama is too tight to shell out for those bosom-enhancer thingies, and relies instead on gelatin-products-of-the-1970s. Resolves to look firmly at FACE, not bust, should they ever meet at MN Christmas do>

Spidermama Mon 23-Jun-08 23:36:44

grin

buzzcocks Mon 23-Jun-08 23:40:28

I have to say Overmydeadbody, that this is spectacular. I am such a saddo that i would enjoy making it.

I actually agree with the OP. But I think that is because I dont have any nice memories of childrens birthday parties in the UK myself, as I grew up in Norway where a birthday party is a totally different kettle of fish.
Party at the home of the birthday child and not a hall/softplay. (never mind there is hardly room to breathe). Food served is usually either large amounts of delicious home made pizza. Huge pots of spaghetti bolognese, or sizzling hot dogs.
This is usually followed by a cake table, customarily 3-4 cakes, and home made cupcakes. Usual is Marzipan cake, Chocolate cake and some other cake such as Jelly cake.

The first birthday party I went to hear had me wondering "when is the food served and is there no end to these vile nibbles?"

I got used to it though. wink

I actually remember posting a similar thread a few years ago, and being equally flamed. grin

AbbeyA Tue 24-Jun-08 07:00:40

I always did homemade food at my DCs parties, including imaginative cakes.However you can't dictate what other people do for their parties and I am afraid that if you accept the invitation you have to relinquish control-it doesn't hurt for the odd day.

OrmIrian Tue 24-Jun-08 07:58:49

Have thought about this a bit. If the OP means that the food is badly prepared and looked after - ie hard cheese because it's dried out, carrot sticks that have gone dry, curly sandwiches...I can agree with her. Not nice and a waste as no-one will eat them anyway. But if it's a reference purely to the cost and provenance of the food I think it's quite unacceptable - and this being MN I'm not entirely sure that the best quality Tesco sausages wouldn't be scorned in favour of Waitrose value ones hmm.

If you wish to vet your DC's friends and only allow those with plenty of dosh I am sure there are easier ways to do it. "Darling you can't be friends with X, her mother served Tesco cocktail sausages. She might be <shudder> poor!"

hatwoman Tue 24-Jun-08 08:54:41

I'm smiling to myself at the number of people on this thread who are nailing 2 sets of colours to the post - both their home-made-crudites-quality-sausages-and-bunting-in-my-house colours and their I'm-laid-back-and-fun-a-little-bit-of-crap-at-someone-else's-house-doesn't-hurt colours.

the one thing I don;t get is pale, soft, undercooked sausages. they are rank.

EffiePerine Tue 24-Jun-08 08:56:54

I'd like you all to know that I hold you personally responsible for the fact that I am scoffing party rings as I type. I am sharing them with the rest of the office <magnanimous>

they are as scrummy as I remembered. Plus I got some chocolate fingers (currently half price at Tescos)

Effie I also bought a packet of party rings thins morning as a result of this thread![nlush]

I may save a few for DS though grin

OrmIrian Tue 24-Jun-08 09:34:03

You won't omdb. You won't. It simply won't be possible. They are very nice with coffee.

EffiePerine Tue 24-Jun-08 09:35:01

ooh yes if you dunk them the sugar bit disintegrates (yum)

<comes back to desk with big caffetiere of fresh coffee, opens the party rings>

In five minutes I've eaten three!blush

<puts packet on top of high shelf>

OrmIrian Tue 24-Jun-08 09:49:30

Only 3? <confused>

Ahhh...you're making the classic beginners errors of only eating one at a time.....

onebatmother Tue 24-Jun-08 09:56:12

hahaha
It's because her teeth are like pears, Orm. She can only cope with one at a time or they disintegrate.

bambi06 Tue 24-Jun-08 09:57:40

my dd is having her party this weekend and im serving a variety of `nice` pizzas. garlic bread,dips,crudites,garlic breaded mushrooms and then cakes,ice cream..my dd wants those crappy cocktail sausages too but that is the only time she eats them and TBH she normally hates all that `junk` food and doesnt usually eat at parties for exactly that reason...she rather have a plate of sushi [strange child]

ZacharyQuack Tue 24-Jun-08 10:04:08

I'm moving to Norway before my next birthday grin

yes and the pears are very ripe now.

<gets packet down off shelf, pours another cup of coffee, and dunks two party rings in at once>

hayley2u Tue 24-Jun-08 10:39:01

not read any of the thread only the start, some people ant afford grand fod plus t usually goes to waste its for the children is nt it, dont think very fair of you to judge bring your own ifyou had a problem, but think your over reacting, sorry

Well.... For my sons 6th party I had large quantities of M£&S coctail sausages and sausage rolls (which I myself love blush and not to mention my kids scoff them). But I had also ordered two bags of frozen sainsburys basic coctail sausages for 50 pence per bag of 50 coctail sausages. There was a difference. I did not serve up the Sainsbo ones. Mostly because when I defrosted them they were more like soggy pulp than coctail sausages. So anybody who has made the mistake of ordering these, may have been quite stuck with vile food, not due to the food itself, but the fact that it doesnt defrost well.

MintyandTink Tue 24-Jun-08 10:56:03

An example of my last menu this year

PARENTS
Vegetarian Fritatas
Spicy meatballs pork and lamb with mint.
Chicken pasta salads with pomegranate dressing
Marinated chicken wings
Various crudités with homemade chile (a Mexican yummy dip) with homemade guacamole.

Drinks
Pimms, ginger beer, lemonade, and beer

KIDDIES

Homemade chips
Homemade meatballs with veggies in skewers
Small organic chipolatas from Butcher
Bread sticks with sesame seeds,
Mango, watermelon and grapes skewers dipped in yummy choc.
Cheesy puffs

Homemade blueberry muffins with choc buttons on top

A super lovely homemade chocolate cake!

Organic drinks

That’s it!

Kewcumber Tue 24-Jun-08 10:57:13

yum - would be happy for you to come and cater DS's party in November. Otherwise it will be macaroni cheese and lurid cake for the kids and TEsco indian party food for the gorwn-ups.

Kewcumber Tue 24-Jun-08 10:58:18

unfortunately will only be able topay you what I would have spent in Tesco - but you won;t mind that will you?

Minty I couldn't afford that kind of spread ever. But polish that halo of yours, you are obviously the greatest partyfood provider around . Well done.

MintyandTink Tue 24-Jun-08 11:10:49

Hey girls, no halo here just a bit of love for cooking, a passion for great food and an ounce of imagination . That's all!

I feel strongly about shitty food and have no qualms about expressing my feelings about it!

onebatmother Tue 24-Jun-08 11:17:11

you see
I am scarily like Minty.
I do all that too. Except my cake was in the shape of an Actual X-Wing Fighter from Star Wars. No lightweight 'chocolate cake' for me. It involved hidden skewers which enabled it to defy the laws of gravity.

BUT
I know in my heart it is WRONG, VERY WRONG, and nothing more than an expression of my particular combination of social-anxiety and competitive-parenting, with a leetle dollop of low self-esteem thrown into the mix.

[GRIN]

onebatmother Tue 24-Jun-08 11:17:44

DAMN.

grin

Well thats great, but do you have the guts to express those feelings to the face of the people who have invited your dcs to the party, and whose food you disaprove of?

Making such a spread is not a hard thing to do, I think most of us could, if we were so inclined. However, I fear that most people would just sniff and say "oh boy, what does she have to prove?"

well, me too minty, but to me good food doesn't always have to be expensive food, and I would hate for someone to turn their noses up at my offerings just because it was cooked with cheap ingredients.

At DS's last birthday party I heated up some frozen kids organic ready meals (my own label lol) and cooked lots of biscuits made with playdough cutters, then let all the kids go wild decorating them.

I did not cater for any adults, or indeed let any adults stay grin

I got on with mumsnetting while the kids got high of blue icing and hundreds and thousands.

OrmIrian Tue 24-Jun-08 11:38:04

Well when it comes to cakes I will admit to an teeny weeny bit of irrational snobbery. I always make a birthday cake - sometimes 2. Never buy.

Your food sounds delicious minty. But I think it would be wasted on most children I know.

And I still think that being quite so direct about what other people offer could simply be construed as rudeness. Personally I am more concerned that my children learn to be polite and considerate, than learn to be arsey about food.

ranting Tue 24-Jun-08 11:38:28

God Minty, you're such a lightweight!!

No chicken passes the mouth of any children I entertain unless my eldest has personally wrung it's neck that morning first, just to make sure that it's fresher than fresh!!

AMATEUR!!

prettybird Tue 24-Jun-08 11:38:54

me too onebatmother. I do the home cooking and baking for ds' birthday for me, not for him grin. It's my own bit of therapy.

We don't scialise as much as we would like - ds' birthday pary is a goof excuse for the adults tohave a good time too.

However, I am impressed with MandT's "real" food for the kids - the most ds' friends get is the (cheap white bread) marmite sandwiches and the (Lidl Cheddar or Red Leicester) cheese sandwiches.

And ds is never that impressed by the traffic light jellies (again, done more for my benefit methinks) - although having had them for the last three or four parties, he now demands expects them. At least I now know to start making them the day before to allow the layers time to set! blush.

The adults usually congregate in the kitchen - and helping me finish off the bcooking/baking that I never quite manage to get all done! blush

MilaMae Tue 24-Jun-08 11:46:44

Minty that's fine and dandy but your menu would be way over most people's budgets.

Up until last year we ate pretty much 80% organic(until the dc began to bleed us dry financially). We're now into the 5th year on one salary so it's just not possible anymore.

However we all eat very well. I try to buy organic meat and milk wherever poss( but have recently bought Lidl chicken and Aldi sausages and the veg box has gone -so shoot me) but this is increasingly rare. We eat veggie most of the time instread and I'm a pretty fine imaginative cook myself which helps.

Regards parties I'm afraid my kids come first. As I mentioned before after paying for venue hire and other bits and bobs(we don't have entertainers and do very nice tasteful party bags for £2 a head)the food has to be on a budget.

I do it very tastefully and often homemade and to a theme eg dinosaurs,fairies etc. However as my kids very rarely get to eat chipolatas,coloured products etc I always include a lot of those too,it is their day after all and is what they want.

I keep to the budget and will find cheaper mini sausage rolls etc to suit them and my purse. That way I don't get into debt over a party and they're happy. Also we may be able to afford some nice organic sausages to eat at home the following week grin

What I'm trying to say is your menu is very impressive and
if I had the money and a nanny to look after the 3 dc whilst I was concocting it all I'd do similar but the fact is I haven't.

It's all down to money,the mums whose parties you're turning your nose up at are probably also trying to keep to a budget just because you don't have to doesn't mean they should be condemned.

MintyandTink Tue 24-Jun-08 11:47:17

Don't have anything to prove to anyone nor to myself.

I just love providing with great food to my guests - no in a stepford wife kind of way but I have a passion for good food. Is this a crime?

Regarding the fact of being rude, I never say anything to the hosts of other parties about the food they serve, I am well aware that this woudl be utter rude but I don't hesitate to vent my feelings here.

I really think after all the responses to my post that it has tickled some of you big time!

Glad to read that there is other mumsnetters that share my passion for quality, healhty, imaginative food!

pooka Tue 24-Jun-08 11:49:49

Are you Jools Oliver?

Because you write a bit like her. Yummy chocolate sauce as opposed to what? Grim chocolate sauce?

snowleopard Tue 24-Jun-08 11:56:58

Oh there is such a thing as grim chocolate sauce, and certainly grim chocolate icing and grim chocolate cake, with just enough cocoa / chocolate in it to turn it veeerrryy slightly brown, and not taste of chocolate at all. Oooh I hate it when someone produces a "chocolate" cake and you then realise you are going to get no chocolate hit from it whatsoever...

prettybird Tue 24-Jun-08 12:17:03

I also like quality, healthy imaginitive food - and we tend to eat that most of the time. However I am not sure that ds fully appreciates that. He would live on a diet of rolls with Nutella and wafer thin ham (don't ask blush) and/or chips if he could get away with it.

I find at kids parties, even though I do do them nice food, they tend not to be that interested in it - although they will snack away on the sweeties and crisps.

Like OrmIrian, I think most of the kids food would be wasted on them (altohgh I know the adults will appreciate your efforts form them!) - but then, you know the kids coming, so maybe they do eat it all.

The food isn't the primary purpose of the party - the fun is what they're there for!

In my epxereince, even the best of eaters, at birthday parties are too excited to concentrate on actually eating anythign sensible.

Locksikas Tue 24-Jun-08 12:28:48

Message withdrawn

Tortington Tue 24-Jun-08 12:31:16

my PFB tarquin only goes to the parties of others to sample celery sticks.

he realised that the games are childish, the children are childish and the parents are usually (compared to us) ill-educated.

we rarely stay longer than 20 mins.

bacon Tue 24-Jun-08 13:02:09

Just because they are children doesnt give people to write to treat them with such conceit!

The reason why we have problems with children not eating healthy food in this country is purely down to the parents. If you went to France or Italy would you see cheap nasty sausages on sticks with bread that's not nutritional enough to feed birds!

I'm sorry but children are only fussy because parents say "he/she wont eat that".

A child will eat good food with taste (believe it or not children have more strength in their taste buds than adults).

I wouldnt dream of serving such rubbish at parties and for sure the cakes and biscuits are not on show until the sarnies have been eaten up.

I understand that children dont like salad but they will eat humus, olives, garlicy stuff and anything tasty which is tomato based.

I'm actually in the food business and know exactly what goes into what, you wouldnt eat it then why should they and why should poor old OAPs in homes be fed it either!

If you can't afford to hold a party just have a small affair with close friends not a every tom dick and harry on a Tesco Value...

My children dont have any eating problems purely down to us laying down the foundations straight after weaning.

SauerKraut Tue 24-Jun-08 13:03:11

Aha, but they would get plenty of other varieties of shit in France and Italy...

hatrick Tue 24-Jun-08 13:05:17

Locksikas Tue 24-Jun-08 13:10:05

Message withdrawn

bacon I'm in the food business as well. There is nothing wctually wrong with most value products in the supermarkets, as my earleir posts outlined.

Kewcumber Tue 24-Jun-08 13:16:13

"bread that's not nutritional enough to feed birds!"
Ummm, isnt bread quite nutricious? Even value cheapy bread? Corect me if I'm wrong but aside from the fibre (which there is an argument shouldn;t be overdone with chidlren) white and brown aren;t that different are they and fortified with vitamins.

MintyandTink Tue 24-Jun-08 13:46:13

Ah, don't get me started with the amounts of fish kids eat in our country.

But I will leave this one for another thread!

POW!!!

My dc eat plenty of fish fingers, thankyou very much

prettybird Tue 24-Jun-08 13:54:39

I'm sorry bacon but I have to disagree. We have always encouraged ds to eat healthily. Most nightds he gets the same as us - but it is a struggle to get him to eat it. he will eat tiny tastes only - but I then don't let him have anythign else to fill up. The only "snack" that he can get for himslef is wee (Lidl) formage frais - which he probably eats two a day of. He chooses not to snack on raisins - we have had to tell him to stop bringing home the wee boxes of rasins that he gets at school lunches and which he doesn't eat.

You say kids "will eat humus, olives, garlicy stuff and anything tasty which is tomato based.". Well, I'll agree with the hummus as ds loves that but he won't eat any ot he others - despite them being the staple of dh's and my diet.

I can get him to eat pasta with pesto but he is not keen on (but will eat if forced) pasta with homemade tomato sauce. he positively dislikes fresh tomatoes.

This is depsite him being breast fed for a year (I though it was supposed to hlep widen their taste buds hmm) and when he was weaned, being sent to the child minder's with all sorts of healthy food: couscous with grated carrots, herbs and rasins, avocado mashed with banana and youghurt, pasta with spinach and cream cheese (both amazinly tasty).

So you can't make blanket judgements that it is "because of their parents not giving them healthy foods".

Ds is only "allowed" not to like one food: mushrooms - but that is becaseu I hate them too! grin

melrose Tue 24-Jun-08 14:07:26

Following DS party last week (4) my top tip for parties is hot dogs, nice sainsbury's taste the difference chippolatas on the BBQ with cheap hot dog rolls and ketchup. Very nutricious, filling and loved by the kids far faster than making loads of sandwiches that won't get eaten and no more expensive.

Sauasages - £4 for 24, rolls £2 for 36. Actually did 36 sausages and fed the parents too and made pasta sauce the next day by adding the leftovers to a tin of tomatos. I would have spent way more making sandwiches, cocktail sausages etc.

Oh but yes I did through in a few bags of hula hoops and follow with homemade cakes and biscuits covered in icing. Its a party FFS!

Kewcumber Tue 24-Jun-08 14:15:30

devil - us too we are a big fish finger zone chez Kewcumber.

Kewcumber Tue 24-Jun-08 14:16:59

that sounds yummy Melrose (can I barbeque in November?)

AbbeyA Tue 24-Jun-08 14:19:58

Your menu sound delicious MintyandTink but I think you just have to accept that not everyone is going to offer such a nice feast.
The one that really annoys me is the poor 2 year old with water, rice cakes and dried fruit! It is no wonder the mother didn't offer the grown ups anything-she couldn't have given them the same and if she had done differently the DCs would have wanted it too!

dingdong05 Tue 24-Jun-08 14:24:28

Oh bacon,

"I understand that children dont like salad but they will eat humus, olives, garlicy stuff and anything tasty which is tomato based."
I laugh in yer face haahaahaahaa HA!

As for your
"If you can't afford to hold a party just have a small affair with close friends not a every tom dick and harry on a Tesco Value..."
You def have a point, we certainly don't want people embarrassing themselves by getting ideas above their station. Imagine wanting to throw a party your dc can invite all their friends to. It's much more important to keep it small, the quality high, and make sure that all the parents- who won't be coming because you can't afford to feed everyone the finest food- won't be looking down their noses at you.

sheesh!

melrose Tue 24-Jun-08 14:27:35

Sorry KewCumber obviously didn't have to be done on the barbecue - just meant I could delegate the cooking to DH!!!

Actually we had a bonfire party once and did BBQ sausages, far easier than making amess of the kitchen!!

Yes, Kew they're rather partial to a nice portion of fish and chips too. In batter mind, none of this poncy stuff with scales and the 'ead still on

Iklboo Tue 24-Jun-08 14:30:54

There's a difference between being a 'fussy eater' and plain not liking it. I wouldn't eat hummus if you paid me. I don't like it. I'm not a fussy eater.
DS is given lots of healthy food, gets his 5 a day every day.
If he goes to a party and there's sausages on sticks, party rings & cheesy wotsits he can have them because I know he will not explode all over the carpet with a once-in-a-blue-moon treat.
His verdict on olives 'these are nasty mummy'

MilaMae Tue 24-Jun-08 14:59:36

Bacon my kids are some of the best eaters I know -dd's fav foods are olives,asparagas wrapped in palma ham etc. We eat very healthily, all together and adult food.

Unfortunately I can't stretch to foods such as olives,asparagas etc when catering for a load of 3 olds. Especially when taking into account half of it will get left.

Also she actually didn't want foods such as that at her party,she wanted "fairy food" she's 3. So fairy food is what she got and she loved every mouthful as she loves all food. She still talks endlessly about her mushroom cake I made-preens!!!!!

I do stick to low numbers but even so do like to invite the kids back who invite us. Even sticking to those numbers I just can't justify spending huge amounts of money I haven't got on a party that lasts for only 2 hours. So what am I supposed to do- cut the numbers down even more and mortify the dc just for the sake of an organic spread of titbits that would only impress 1 or 2 parents(actually none of my dc's friends mums thankfully)and not the kids themselves.

Also you are mistaken about value food as I'm an endless lable checker. When buying the mini sausage rolls I compared Sainsbury's value frozen ones with the equivilent high end of the range bag. Guess which had less crap and additives in- that would be the value bag at half the price!!!!!!!!

melrose Tue 24-Jun-08 15:04:10

I love the way that people seem to think that if has a waitrose label on it is somehow better for you!

PeachyWontLieToYou Tue 24-Jun-08 15:42:21

Waitrose is required???? [shocl]

Damn I had better move, i shall tell my landlady that contract must foreclose as Ocado don't deliver here

wink

Obviously my parties are the most exciting as the kids are always far too hyped up to eat anything anyway, should really save myself cash and mould from wax to bring out on rota each few months to be ignored!

PeachyWontLieToYou Tue 24-Jun-08 15:47:30

'I'm sorry but children are only fussy because parents say "he/she wont eat that".'

ha ha ha ha ha

Thatb is so very wrong!

variety helps of course, and good food from an early age (and I'm a riverford box girl myself) but kids differ just like adults do and some have extra good reasons to refuse foods like SN.

As for the tastebuds being stronger in kids- er yes, you mean supertasters. They're associated with being highly sensitive to foods like chilli, garlic etc and quite often are food refusers.

Now, if you let your average NT kid have their fusses, make sure they eat as much variety as you can get into them and dont make a deal of it the chances are it will pass quickly. Sit there crowing over X Y and Z being bad foods and nasty foods and gawd only knows what complexes you will give thwm.

Kids aren't a different species, they're little adults. Adults have dislikes too.

prettybird Tue 24-Jun-08 16:01:17

LOL at the wax copies of food to be brought out in rotation.

Still hmm at the "children are only fussy because parents say "he/she wont eat that". If only it were that simple. Ds gets made to eat (or at least) taste whatever we have and doens't get something else to fill up on. But I am hopeful that his fussiness will pass! grin .... althugh he's been like this for c4 years now. hmm

PeachyWontLieToYou Tue 24-Jun-08 16:08:32

it will pb, apparently i only ate lamb casserole and choccy pud for years, will eat pretty much anything now

sometimes i think its an alternative controlm technique to tantrums

MilaMae Tue 24-Jun-08 16:24:59

Totally agree Peachy 2 of mine are non identical twins always been fed exactly the same things,very varied diet. Twin 1 has from day 1 eaten absolutely anything,twin 2 even filtered babyrice. He hates anything too sweet or salty and dislikes trying new foods.I'm convinced he has supertastebuds.

My only rule is he has to try things but I make no fuss if he doesn't eat it and he doesn't get anything else,so used to go to bed hungry most nights. We all eat together so have basically done everything by the book. I'm really not bothered about it as he eats a varied healthy diet,loves fruit,pulses,dairy,whole grains etc. He's just who he is and doesn't like highly flavoured foods. Bit of a pita as twin 1,dd,dp and myself are very adventurous eaters but why should he have to be the same?

Prettybird he's nearly 5 now and have noticed a massive improvement. Tries things without being prompted,finishes his tea most nights and is now eating things he didn't used to so hang in there smile

prettybird Tue 24-Jun-08 16:31:26

But ds is nearly 8 hmm (See other thread re 7 year old boys! grin)

He does like tasting wine though! grin Usually descrbies it as "grape-y" although recently has come out with "like ice-cream" (=vanilla) and "spicy". So we are doing waht we can to encourage a good palate! wink

MilaMae Tue 24-Jun-08 16:41:00

Do I want to read it????? grin grin grin

Is it the arsey one,was hoping when the 4 year old testosterone surge thing passes I'd be looking forward to to a few years of calm.

prettybird Tue 24-Jun-08 16:57:45

hmm

....we keep on thinking "it's just a phase" wink

..... just a whole sequence of them, all running togeether! grin

PeachyWontLieToYou Tue 24-Jun-08 18:01:21

ah pb
ime of that age ( have boys aged 7 and 8( anything thry can dop that gets a rise they love

if he realises it pushes your buttons....

otoh ex of mine never ate red food (note the ex...), so no tomatoes or anything. didn't kill him, he just ate differently.

I would imagine havng a proper hating food refuser is much like having a kid with dairy or gluten free diets (I have both)- a right pita at first but you get used adapt and before long you're i new equally balanced routine

motherinferior Tue 24-Jun-08 21:26:05

My kids and their mates appear to like, you know, parties. They are not madly bothered about the food. They want crisps, and to dash around madly, and crisps, and to do Pass the Parcel, and crisps, and generally to have a good time. With masses of their mates.

And I don't in any case want to throw down a whopping middle-class posherama gauntlet to their mates' parents. I'm quite happy for them to stuff themselves on crisps and a few other non-nutritious items of party food. It's a party.

I don't, come to that, go to parties for healthy living either. My idea of a good party is one where someone snogs someone else slightly inappropriate, and quite a few people possibly including me drink too much.

hatwoman Tue 24-Jun-08 21:50:04

you go to all the best parties MI envy. I can't remember the last time I went to a party where there was snogging of note.

motherinferior Tue 24-Jun-08 21:57:48

I have a horrible feeling the last party I went to like that was about 8 years ago, it has to be said. My friend snogged an --ex-shag-- aquaintance of mine, publically, and DP's brother asked out another friend of mine and she met her current husband on that date.

I personally was a bit preoccupied having just discovered I was up the duff.

PeachyWontLieToYou Tue 24-Jun-08 22:10:23

last party i went to I was plied with vodka by -evil- -gits- friends all night, and althugh seeming ok, passed out as soon as i got outside and dh had to carry me to the hotel

now if my 4 yr old gets invited to that party i will worry...

and i cam never get the strike through to work, but you get the jist

hatwoman Tue 24-Jun-08 22:20:36

now I think of it I can beat you! I went to a party less than a year ago where a friend snogged an old university friend of hers. They're still going strong. it wasn't innapropriate but it was snogging

Cammelia Tue 24-Jun-08 23:03:12

Oh I went to my GP BIL's party last week where his best friend's wife (both GP's - don;t these medic types stick together?) chatted up my DH shock

She was p as a fart of course, champagne had been consumed by the bucketload (the party boy was 50 so why not)

But she was wearing a v short dress - which is ok but she is a mother of 4 not-young children and it was rather amusing.

But then my dh is rather dishy

There were no shitty sausages though

hatwoman Tue 24-Jun-08 23:29:56

hat shakes off various confusions:

what is a grandparent's brother-in-law? no, I see, it's a doctor....how come cammelia gets to go to her doctor's BIL's party? does Cammelia really expect us to keep track of all that .....her doctor's brother-in-law's best friend's wife...did the doctor go to the party too? ahhhh (light dawns....) cammelia's BIL is a GP. gotcha.

kiddiz Wed 25-Jun-08 08:40:40

My ds1 had a cleft palate which wasn't corrected until he was 18 months and so early feeding and weaning was difficult and resulted in ds having a very restricted diet. Basically he would eat anything so long as it was pasta! He literally lived on the stuff on it's own, no sauces etc. just plain pasta. Add in a neurotic mother who got extremely stressed by the whole thing and there's a recipe for disaster!
He is now 20 and eats just about anything so despite his fussy start which it could be said he had good reason for (eating with no roof to your mouth can't be a pleasant experience) he is a good example that they can grow out of it. I'm sure my stressing about it made him worse it's just easier said than done not to worry when your underweight ds has eaten nothing but a bit of pasta all day.

kangaroo Fri 27-Jun-08 16:32:54

MintyandTink, I don't like party food either. You don't have to get everything luminous yellow and horrible colours to make children happy. We had a party, they all ate the non-luminous food and had great fun.

I feed the boys a really BIG breakfast, a HUGE mid morning snack AND an ENORMOUS lunch really late just before the party!!!! They still eat crap!

I did take them to a party a few months ago and there was nothing for them to eat because it was all sandwhiches (ham & cheese), tomatoes, grapes, carrot sticks. He had to eat bread stick and cake all afternoon!

okeydokeygirl Sat 28-Jun-08 10:49:02

In what world is cheese, carrots and sausages crap food. Cheese puffs, french fancies, turkey drummers and sweets I can understand (although all great party food in my opinion- well maybe not the turkey drummers). Get real MintyandTink.

cat64 Sat 28-Jun-08 21:14:02

Message withdrawn

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now