I've just been told that vegans don't eat honey. Is this true and if so, why?

(112 Posts)
Bubble99 Fri 09-May-08 21:56:09

That's it really.

I'd always thought that vegans don't eat animal products that have been produced by causing pain or exploitation. Does honey fit with this? I'd have thought that bees can, well...buzz off ...if they don't like where they are.

Hallgerda Tue 13-May-08 07:44:29

On the bee meat steak point, it used to be possible to buy chocolate coated bumble bees in the Seventies.

sarah293 Tue 13-May-08 08:16:55

don't commercial bee keepers kill the bees at the end of each year?

When i was first vegan 20 odd years ago there wasn't a great deal of choice. Now there's vegan everything, and often organic too. Vegan organic junk food! How fab is that!
Kids were raised as vegans. 2 of them chose to eat cheese at some point, maybe 6, one remains vegan. One decided to eat meat at 13 (influnece of friends/teenage rebellion) but didn't eat it in the house. I don't let meat in doors. Yuck. That one is now vegan again (influence of friends, teenage rebellion grin)

As Juliethingy says, land use is way more efficient for vegan diet than a meat based one and given the whole food shortgage/oil crisis thiing changing over to a plant based diet is the only way to avoid mass starvation and famine. Its cheaper too (if you avoid the vegan junk food)
And feeding grain to cars makes me angry

Sputnik Fri 16-May-08 15:15:43

I used to be a commercial beekeeper, bees are certainly NOT killed at the end of each year.

Actually you could kind of argue bees "like" being kept, as beekeepers give them extra space for the colony to grow and to produce a surplus (which is what is harvested, you always leave the bees enough for winter).

Some beekeepers will eat the drone larvae, apparently they're quite tasty.

GetOrfMoiLand Fri 16-May-08 15:32:31

I remember reading in the Times a couple of months ago (in the 'sex' questions section) a question from a Vegan who was concerned if she , ahem, swallowed when performing oral sex she was contravening the rules of vegan living.

How the hours must fly by at their house, I thought.

Sorry to lower the tone blush

GetOrfMoiLand Fri 16-May-08 15:32:31

I remember reading in the Times a couple of months ago (in the 'sex' questions section) a question from a Vegan who was concerned if she , ahem, swallowed when performing oral sex she was contravening the rules of vegan living.

How the hours must fly by at their house, I thought.

Sorry to lower the tone blush

bratnav Fri 16-May-08 16:39:12

GOML ROFL grin

Although on the same lines, when we were in our late teens a friend of mine asked if it was ok to give her bf oral sex as she was veggie...

Bubble may I join in your nursery poo co-operative ??????

PMSL- I just had a surreal thought of explaining THAT one to OFSTED...........grin

iMum Fri 16-May-08 20:58:52

May I just remind you all that no matter how sweet, honey is bee sick.

eewww

I was vegan for years and much healthier for it, had to go back to being veggie as my thyroid meds were nulled by the soya i was eating.

But not a day goes by really when i dont lament my vegan days, i really was so much healthier. not at all thin and pale (i wish-exgoth you see)

Being just a veggie now i do have honey in the house and can eat it but only until i remeber thousands of tiny little bees puking their guts up for my jar of honey.

Sputnik Fri 16-May-08 21:23:12

honey really is not bee sick.
They have a thing called a honey sac where honey is made from nectar, separate from the stomach.

Honey made (by bees) from honeydew is, however, aphid crap grin

iMum Fri 16-May-08 22:07:27

Yeah you see, im not sure thats any better!@

Sputnik Fri 16-May-08 22:38:02

Yeah, 2 insects being exploited there

alphadaydreamer Thu 20-Nov-08 21:17:17

Wannabe have you looked at factory farmed hens....that will probably answer your question.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now