can i cook pasta in a steamer?

(42 Posts)
AnAngelWithin Tue 29-Jan-08 13:13:50

title says it all really!! does it take lots longer than boiling it? just thought if i could put it in the steamer then i wouldn't have to worry about it boiling over/dry etc which is what i usually do!! blush

AnAngelWithin Tue 29-Jan-08 13:30:06

anyone?

Kewcumber Tue 29-Jan-08 13:31:54

depends how long you're prepared to wiat - I imagine it would take an age.

How on earth do you manage to boil pasta dry? Should only take 10-15 minutes (for dry pasta) in plenty of water!

AnAngelWithin Tue 29-Jan-08 13:33:20

dont ask me! my usual habit is just forgetting about it!!

theyoungvisiter Tue 29-Jan-08 13:34:37

I have never tried this but my instinct is NO! Steaming works principally by heating the food up - it doesn't actually absorb that much water from the steam. Dry pasta absorbs a LOT of water in the cooking process and needs room to circulate. You will be left with a sticky mass of glued together pasta at the bottom of your steam, IMO.

Is it really that tricky to boil in pan? It sounds like what you need is to use a bigger pan, more water and a timer. I use a 5 litre pan for pasta for 4 people. Also you shouldn't put the lid on when the pasta is in the pan - that way it won't boil over.

ThePettyandIllinformedGoat Tue 29-Jan-08 13:35:09

no, buy yourself a kitchen timer.

theyoungvisiter Tue 29-Jan-08 13:37:52

Illinformedgoat, methinks you are neither ill-informed, nor a goat.

Of course you can't steam pasta....it has to absorb the water, steam won't do the same job! (Of course if you want to try it out & report back to us, feel free) wink

A little water, a splash of oil & 10/12 mins later some delicious pasta

Kewcumber Tue 29-Jan-08 13:40:49

implying of course that she is petty grin

Kewcumber Tue 29-Jan-08 13:42:40

if you can't boil pasta - switch to cous-cous - its foolproof.

Pour cous-cous into bowl.
Boil kettle
pour boiling water over couscous until just covered.
Stir.
Leave for 10-15 minutes
Break up with fork.
Mix in seasonings to taste

pirategirl Tue 29-Jan-08 13:42:47

it says here you u can!!!!!!!!!!! by someone using a tefal electrci one!!

...........I got it home and wanted to try it out immediately. Naturally, I couldn't think of anything to cook. Fortunately, the steamer comes with a handy little recipe book dedicated to steamed food. I fancied pasta, so I followed the instructions to make myself a pasta and cheese meal.
The steamer itself consists of the base, a drip tray, three tiers, a handle for removing the base of the tiers without burning your fingers, and an a rice tray. To cook the pasta, I had to fill the base with cold water to the marker point, put the pasta into the rice tray and cover with cold water, place the tray into the lowest tier and put the lid on. Then I set the timer to 15 minutes and left it to work.

The steam begins to rise almost immediately. 15 minutes later I was alerted to my cooked meal by an alarm. I then had to tip the pasta into the tier to allow it to drain, then serve it up with cheese.........

altho i might try it sometimes, i can cook pasta no prob in a saucepan!!!

ThePettyandIllinformedGoat Tue 29-Jan-08 13:43:24

[remembers to snum kewcumber and youngvisiter at first opportunity]

pirategirl Tue 29-Jan-08 13:46:08

ah so re reading it you have to 'cover' the pasta itself with water too??

same as boiling tho isnt it??? hmm

AnAngelWithin Tue 29-Jan-08 13:48:11

thanks. might give it a go one day when tea doesn't depend on it!!

you lot must think i'm a right dunky hmm

AnAngelWithin Tue 29-Jan-08 13:48:57

i just thought that seeing as you can cook rice in the steamer, then pasta may be the same??

theyoungvisiter Tue 29-Jan-08 13:54:55

Kewcumber, I can't comment on her pettiness, however I deduced that she was well-informed on the subject of pasta and that a goat was unlikely to own a steamer.

I am willing to reassess the pettiness levels on receipt of chat-based evidence. wink

Sorry, but you may be able to cook pasta in a tefal steamer. You may be able to bake a fruitcake for all I care! The point is YOU DON'T NEED TO. Pasta is perfectly designed for cooking in a pan, and will taste far nicer, cook far quicker, and generally be much easier! Why bother with the steamer at all?

It's like all these recipes for making camembert soufflee in a microwave by butchering the original recipe to the point of extinction and then pretending that the resultant mush somehow ressembles whatever you originally butchered. It may be edible but it sure ain't a soufflee.

Apologies, end of rant.

ahundredtimes Tue 29-Jan-08 13:59:42

What on earth are you on about?

Boil it in the water. Ten minutes.

You are going to ask if you can steam toast next right?

Kewcumber Tue 29-Jan-08 14:01:25

microwaved souffle?

Are you feeling quite alright theyoungvisiter? grin

AnAngelWithin Tue 29-Jan-08 14:02:07

no it was an honest question, why would i ask something like that? even I know the answer to that question

ahundredtimes Tue 29-Jan-08 14:02:09

Can I boil a cake or do I have to bake it?

ahundredtimes Tue 29-Jan-08 14:03:51

And even if you do steam the pasta, because you always let the water boil dry when you boil it - won't you do the same again when the pasta is in the steamer?

You need a timer my friend, with a huge great big loud BEEP on it.

Kewcumber Tue 29-Jan-08 14:04:01

no you can boil a cake

ahundredtimes Tue 29-Jan-08 14:04:38

lol. Can you? How - in a bag?

Kewcumber Tue 29-Jan-08 14:04:42
Kewcumber Tue 29-Jan-08 14:05:50

(though you do actually need to cook it in an over [grin)

AnAngelWithin Tue 29-Jan-08 14:07:17

ok well if this is just going to turn into a piss take then forget it. i asked a question, you have answered it.

Gitch Tue 29-Jan-08 14:07:36

that is cheating kewcumber... [stern]

Gitch Tue 29-Jan-08 14:08:41

angel, for goodness sakes don't be so prickly. it looks like you can in an electric steamer, it's the work of a madwoman on the stove.

ahundredtimes Tue 29-Jan-08 14:08:55

Well, I'm impressed Kew anyway.

Don't be touchy Angel. Address the saucepan boiling dry when steaming pasta problem.

AnAngelWithin Tue 29-Jan-08 14:10:34

im not being prickly. tbh i don't even know why i bother. i have got enough to del with in RL without people taking the piss out of me on here as well.

ahundredtimes Tue 29-Jan-08 14:13:04

Oh don't fret so. You asked if you could steam pasta, and you got your answer.

Do you have an electric steamer then?

Blu Tue 29-Jan-08 14:14:10

I'm sure it's only the pasta-cooking aspect peope are making mild fun of, Angel - not your whole self.

And you yourself admit that it could be seen as a bit dunky-ish!

A timer is a good idea, don't you think? Steamed pasta will be horrible. It just will.

Gitch Tue 29-Jan-08 14:19:23

yes, we don't know you, we're mildly joshing you about one teeny aspect of your life. (the fact that you can't cook pasta without it boiling dry, you numbnut. wink grin)
seriously, get a wee timer. or i bet there's an alarm on your phone you could use.

ahundredtimes Tue 29-Jan-08 14:20:24

It is a funny question - but it is only teasing about that, like Blu says.

Kewcumber Tue 29-Jan-08 14:20:35

and on the upside - you got a recipe for boiled cake grin

Gitch Tue 29-Jan-08 14:22:25

that cake is NOT boiled. the fruit is boiled, the cake is baked. you are perpetrating a fraud, kecumber, and you know it. grin

Kewcumber Tue 29-Jan-08 14:25:33

'Tis called a "boiled fruit cake". You can split hairs all you like, but it's still a boiled fruit cake

Gitch Tue 29-Jan-08 14:28:17

i know what i know, kewcumber... that's all i'm saying. wink

Oliveoil Tue 29-Jan-08 14:44:21

lol

theyoungvisiter Tue 29-Jan-08 14:48:12

awww angel sorry. I feel bad as my microwave soufflee joke started the joshing.

I really apologise - I didn't mean to hurt your feelings. I just thought it was a funny question when boiling it is so easy - a bit like saying can you cook soup in a wok. Well, yes you could but would you want to? grin

(and the microwave soufflee thing is a family joke - my granny gave me an awful book a few years back about how to cook everything in a microwave - it was hilarious! I kid you not - Christmas dinner complete with microwaved turkey)

MamaG Tue 29-Jan-08 14:49:41

is it <lowers voice> your time of the month?

[man emoticon]

Taramezen Wed 12-Mar-14 13:24:40

You guys are jerks!!! I googled this because I work in a commercial kitchen. All my stove tops are taken and I have no time. I need my noodles now. Figured I'd see if you could steam noodles as my steamer isn't full. You can steam orzo which is a pasta!!! It doesn't come out weird. You can steam rice. You just need to make sure their's enough water for the noodles to absorb along w oil to keep it from sticking.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now