what was your mums SNAZZIEST recipe when you were little

(419 Posts)
FluffyMummy123 Thu 10-Jan-08 13:47:25

Message withdrawn

FluffyMummy123 Thu 10-Jan-08 13:48:27

Message withdrawn

Saturn74 Thu 10-Jan-08 13:48:40

Special fried rice on a Saturday night whilst watching 'Seaside Special'.
We was right posh! grin

FluffyMummy123 Thu 10-Jan-08 13:49:12

Message withdrawn

southeastastra Thu 10-Jan-08 13:49:15

chicken chasseur was about as exotic as it got

Tutter Thu 10-Jan-08 13:49:24

arf

my mum's 'curry'

mince + apple + curry powder + sultanas

Slouchy Thu 10-Jan-08 13:49:27

Curry. left over roast chicken, sharwoods curry powder (in blue pplastic pot IIRC), onion, boiled rice.Chopped banana on top.
Bleurgh.

Scramble Thu 10-Jan-08 13:49:29

Chicken Supreme. Well posh chicken in a white sauce.

FluffyMummy123 Thu 10-Jan-08 13:50:03

Message withdrawn

Slouchy Thu 10-Jan-08 13:50:08

oooh yes, tutter. Sultanas. Forgot those.

Mercy Thu 10-Jan-08 13:50:27

I was going to say chilli too! Also curry (my dad made it)

FluffyMummy123 Thu 10-Jan-08 13:50:37

Message withdrawn

yaddayah Thu 10-Jan-08 13:50:38

Curried shepherds pie (the mash turned orange)
Fond memories of pineapple in chicken curry as well.

numptysmummy Thu 10-Jan-08 13:51:30

Sweet macaroni pudding. Nice actually.

poshwellies Thu 10-Jan-08 13:51:32

Bolognese with those posh pasta shells
(early 80's)

LoveAngel Thu 10-Jan-08 13:51:45

Gammon with pineapple rings.

Lamb kofta / lemon & coriander chicken, from Madhur Jaffrey's cookbook.

Spag carbonara

FluffyMummy123 Thu 10-Jan-08 13:51:50

Message withdrawn

OrmIrian Thu 10-Jan-08 13:52:07

Mum did lots of posh stuff. For parties. Seriously complicated things. And gorgeous puddings. And she made her own mayo which I think is above and beyond.

But generally I think that curry and spag bol were probably it.

Scramble Thu 10-Jan-08 13:52:23

Lasagne but don't know if itwas as far back as the 70's

Curry yes with the sultanas.

Sweet and sour chicken no jars, proper homemade. Again poss the 80's

Mum was a school dinner cook.

Carmenere Thu 10-Jan-08 13:52:24

My dad spent his early twenties in a seminary in califrnia in the 50's so he had a lifelong devotion to mexican and american food. He would spend hours buying, roasting and blending spices(in my mums coffee grinder lol) to make enchiladas and burritos and we would regularly have boston cream pie which is like banofie except without the toffee.

CatIsSleepy Thu 10-Jan-08 13:52:25

my mum made chilli con carne with baked beans
it was fab grin
and chicken curry with sultanas, dessicated coconut and chopped banana on top

Mercy Thu 10-Jan-08 13:52:43

Proper curry that is.

Gammon and pineapple was very popular. I think it's the combo of salty and sweet (bit like Hawaiian pizza)

FluffyMummy123 Thu 10-Jan-08 13:53:09

Message withdrawn

Carmenere Thu 10-Jan-08 13:53:32

My mum made lots of snazzy stuff too, they were real foodies in a bland food wilderness of Ireland in the 70's.

Flllightattendant Thu 10-Jan-08 13:54:22

'Spanish'
'Sausages'.

Neither was strictly correct....hmm

It was sort of bits of sausage cut up in a mixture of spicy tomato sauce stuff with big onion bits and fried.

I won't go into the home made herby hamburgers (bleurgh)
that was about it.

FluffyMummy123 Thu 10-Jan-08 13:54:50

Message withdrawn

Slouchy Thu 10-Jan-08 13:55:08

Homemade yoghurt. In a special thing like a big flask. It was RANK. mind you, that was in the days when yog meant over-sweet Ski stramb, peach melba or hazelnut hmm only. I would prob find it palatable these days.
(perhaps not)

Mercy Thu 10-Jan-08 13:55:08

My mum had a couple of Elizabeth David's books and a Patience Gray one. I don't really remember them being used much.

Actually I do remember she used to make moussaka.

Scramble Thu 10-Jan-08 13:55:12

Homemade yogurt , not snazzy until she added umpteen spoons of sugar and a dash of green food colouring [wow]

keeptakingthetablets Thu 10-Jan-08 13:55:31

It was curry in our house too, but the exotica was the "cymbals" - I think it was meant to be sambals, and she thought it was terribly terribly chic - banana slices, with yoghurt and coconut - all prepared around 24 hours in advance so you got that lovely brown sludge island effect.

She nearly laid an egg when the local fine fare started stocking mango chutney.

FluffyMummy123 Thu 10-Jan-08 13:55:32

Message withdrawn

Blu Thu 10-Jan-08 13:55:42

Baked Alaska was the one that really impressed us!

We would beg and mither without mercy.

kittylouise Thu 10-Jan-08 13:56:01

slouchy - my gran had a fanny craddock moment and made curry with a tin of homepride curry sauce, heinz mulligatwny soup and sultanas and bananas. I think the sultanas and banana turned it from her normally disgusting cooking to the devil's own food.

My gran was quite funny when she 'discovered' pasta. What seemed like an 8-foot long packet of spaghetti (wrapped in blue paper) and her own special bolognese sauce (god only knows what the hell was in that). Have a strong memory of gran trying to strong-arm the spaghetti into a cauldron sized pan, then giving up and snapping the spaghetti strands in rage.

FluffyMummy123 Thu 10-Jan-08 13:56:11

Message withdrawn

Scramble Thu 10-Jan-08 13:56:15

Mum didn't have the cookery year one but did have the bero one but.....

I have the cookery year and the bero book blush

Tutter Thu 10-Jan-08 13:56:29

i still like to put a few baked beans in my chilli

try it

poshwellies Thu 10-Jan-08 13:56:35

*remembers hazlenut Ski yogurts..........ewwww

FluffyMummy123 Thu 10-Jan-08 13:56:52

Message withdrawn

FluffyMummy123 Thu 10-Jan-08 13:57:14

Message withdrawn

My mother told me the other day that they felt that they really were very sophisicated when they served some grilled grapefruit dish hmm

Freaks

FluffyMummy123 Thu 10-Jan-08 13:57:58

Message withdrawn

Tutter Thu 10-Jan-08 13:59:06

my mum still sometimes serves oj as a starter

we have to sit there, sipping from time to time, hands on laps twixt sips

farking ludicrous

OrmIrian Thu 10-Jan-08 13:59:17

Home-made yoghurt made in a sort of plug in box with pot shaped holes in it. I don't think it was all that nice..

FluffyMummy123 Thu 10-Jan-08 13:59:29

Message withdrawn

kittylouise Thu 10-Jan-08 13:59:33

Gran made Black Forest Gateau one year for one of my birthday parties (must have been about 8) made as a show off to my friend's parents.

Remember her fretting over the thing for hours, then on the day of the party not a soul was allowed to touch it ('shoo' to all my friends who all wanted a bit)

Scramble Thu 10-Jan-08 13:59:36

Oh yes we had a snazzy soda stream lol

Flllightattendant Thu 10-Jan-08 13:59:37

WE HAD THAT BOOK!!!!

FluffyMummy123 Thu 10-Jan-08 13:59:46

Message withdrawn

FluffyMummy123 Thu 10-Jan-08 14:00:07

Message withdrawn

kittylouise Thu 10-Jan-08 14:00:51

lol tutter.

Or take a hipflask of vodka and add to the oj

When I was a waitress in early 90s worked in hotel that still served juice as a starter (but you had a choice of orange, grapefruit or tomato woo hoo!)

CatIsSleepy Thu 10-Jan-08 14:01:31

halved avocados with prawns in mayo were pretty snazzy
special occasions only
she used to make vol-au-vents too

oh and we used to have duchesse potatoes with our sunday roast when we had visitors-now they were fancy

OrmIrian Thu 10-Jan-08 14:02:13

For all those fellow sodastream children, did you find that it ever tasted like real cola, or limeade or lemonade? Because ours always seemed not quite right. Might be because mum restricted the amt of concentrate in fear of toothrot hmm

yes we had the cookery year
What is the bero book?

Scramble Thu 10-Jan-08 14:02:33

LOL at the juice for a starter, there are still some chinese's that serve this as a starter.

PIL still treat fresh orange like something special, they have it in what can only be described as shot glasses with breakfast. And look at me strangely when I fill a tumbler to have with my lunch.

Aitch Thu 10-Jan-08 14:02:51

home-made pizza, she'd been to italy don'tchaknow? (albeit
with orange cheddar cheese...)

in all honesty, it was her signature thing, she got big tins of olive oil posted over. i remember her wafting about in a kaftan in the kitchen, trying to get the oven hot enough for the pizza stone to go in. my dad used to complain that if he opened the (eye-level, natch) oven he ran the risk of his enormous nylon shirt collars going up.

ivykaty44 Thu 10-Jan-08 14:03:13

My mum made lasagna, spanish prok chop and the most beautiful pavlova with whipped cream and strawberries.

Oh such happy memories smile

we had pink cauliflower cheese

CatIsSleepy Thu 10-Jan-08 14:03:45

Orm, we had a sodastream and the drinks never tasted right

ivykaty44 Thu 10-Jan-08 14:04:04

pork - sorry

MrsCarrot Thu 10-Jan-08 14:04:29

Egg and chips and banana custard was the norm, then when my mother got snazzy it was egg fried rice and butterscotch angel delight.

Slouchy Thu 10-Jan-08 14:04:46

Drac - pink?

kittylouise Thu 10-Jan-08 14:05:09

Pink cauliflower cheese?

What made it pink?

Beetroot? Cochineal? Blood?

Scramble Thu 10-Jan-08 14:05:10

Bero Book you can still buy it today in the bigger supermarkets in the flour aisle.

Aitch Thu 10-Jan-08 14:05:23

ormrian, yes to the home-made yoghurt! grin in that horrible mustard coloured machine.

although it wasn't snazzy until it had strawberries, whipped cream and loads of brown sugar on top. in individual glass long-stem dishes.

(it's a recipe i still do, actually, it's bloody lovely, the brown sugar melts through the yog and leaves pretty marbley trails).

CatIsSleepy Thu 10-Jan-08 14:05:29

ooh now I'm remembering strawberry shortcake with lots of cream

and fab mousses-chocolate was the best
and home-made trifle <drool>

she's a damned good cook actually my mum, baked beans in the chilli con carne notwithstanding

Scramble Thu 10-Jan-08 14:06:39

My used to spend hours, nay months making the Christmas cake in the Bero book. It was awfull but we never had the heart to tell her it was dry and solid.

tortoise Thu 10-Jan-08 14:06:42

My favourite meal my mum made has to be Cheddar curry. Its gorgeous.

I am waiting for her to send me the recipe so i can try making it!!

kittylouise Thu 10-Jan-08 14:06:43

How can you just post pink cauliflower cheese and leave it unexplained (huff puff emoticon)

CatIsSleepy Thu 10-Jan-08 14:07:41

cheddar curry??

baked alaska
pies with pastry leaves on the top and a blackbird pie funnel in the centre
a pudding called Boodles which was those trifle sponges soaked in orange and lemon juice and whipped cream

FluffyMummy123 Thu 10-Jan-08 14:09:11

Message withdrawn

Scramble Thu 10-Jan-08 14:09:52

My dad flirted with Lentil pie in the 80's no one ate it then he made it into lentil pate. Or the otherway round. Which ever way I remember howling because he made me eat it. We hid his cook book.

CatIsSleepy Thu 10-Jan-08 14:10:25

ooh one of my all-time favourite desserts was bananas and mandarin segments in cream, with lots of brown sugar on top, shoved under the grill

blimey I'm so nostalgic for my mum's cooking now

OrmIrian Thu 10-Jan-08 14:11:15

aitch - please tell me how do you do that thing with the brown sugar??? Because a friends' mum (who was very snazzy in all areas) used to do it and it was luverly. She seriously impressed me with her modern house and furniture, mild swearing and occasional social smoking... grin

Slouchy Thu 10-Jan-08 14:11:30

Oh god, just rememebred stuffed marrow. We seemed to have it all the time - soggy marrow with a greasy layer of mince/mushroom/onion in the middle.

FluffyMummy123 Thu 10-Jan-08 14:11:56

Message withdrawn

Bink Thu 10-Jan-08 14:12:05

canapé chessboard - 2-inch square sandwiches, brown ones with smoked salmon in, white ones with budget "caviare" - all arranged neatly.

I remember vividly the Christmas when every party buffet (including ours) featured Chinese Leaf Salad.

tortoise Thu 10-Jan-08 14:12:09

Yes CatIsSleepy, cheddar curry! The chunks of cheddar went into the curry right at the end iirc so they didn't totally melt! yumm.

FluffyMummy123 Thu 10-Jan-08 14:13:00

Message withdrawn

OrmIrian Thu 10-Jan-08 14:13:10

No. I haven't cod. But perhaps I should. I rememnber thinking she was soooo sophisticated compared to my ma.

FluffyMummy123 Thu 10-Jan-08 14:13:24

Message withdrawn

FluffyMummy123 Thu 10-Jan-08 14:13:40

Message withdrawn

OrmIrian Thu 10-Jan-08 14:14:35

Yes I do.

OrmIrian Thu 10-Jan-08 14:15:00

In fact not about but exactly.

FooFooTheSnoo Thu 10-Jan-08 14:15:14

Chicken Marengo

Vesta chilli

CatIsSleepy Thu 10-Jan-08 14:15:25

yikes tortoise-I don't think I'll be trying that myself in a hurry grin

Mommalove Thu 10-Jan-08 14:15:36

Ooh yes, another one scarred by the weird box-type plug-in yoghurt maker, eww.

anyone know what tuna casserole is ? with tinned tuna ? they were always having that for dinner in US tv programs - that an pot roast...

my mum did chicken marengo too !

Mommalove Thu 10-Jan-08 14:16:57

<Small voice> Can I admit I have never known exactly what type of meat joint is used for a pot roast or how in the world it is done blush

OrmIrian Thu 10-Jan-08 14:17:02

and meatloaf, maryann. I remember that in that thing with Roseann Barr and the fat man (?)

Jennster Thu 10-Jan-08 14:17:49

Cookbook CHECK
Yoghurt maker CHECK
SodaStream CHECK

We had Sweet and Sour Pork (from scratch) Bolognaise, groundnut stew, palmoil chop.....but they were my Dad's recipes

kittylouise Thu 10-Jan-08 14:18:00

Off topic, but Gran's snazziest kitchen tool was her blender, bloody thing was huge and the glass jug was a funny rusty colour with a vile green lid and it made a racket

I used to make milkshakes with it and she used to go mad, shouting at me to turn it off before I broke the motor.

She never used it herself - ever - I think she was scared grin

chrissnow Thu 10-Jan-08 14:18:05

my mum made moussaka (vile) sole veronique (double vile) or navarone of lamb (really mega vile!!) Her real party piece was fondue tho!!
She had the marks and spencers recipes for entertaining book (she still has it actually and reading it is very entertaining!!) she used to put 2 ticks by the things she'd cooked succesfully and 1 by the things that weren't a hit!!

Bink Thu 10-Jan-08 14:18:13

oh - on the 70s curries, with the sultanas & all the little bowls of condiments (eg bananas) - we had a tube of Bombay Duck, which would come out of the cupboard ceremoniously, be howled at, not eaten, & returned to the cupboard. I think it was there for 15 years, not exaggerating.

(Bombay Duck is dried fish, by the way)

kittylouise Thu 10-Jan-08 14:20:53

Were everybody's kitchen cupboards filled with such delights as tinned pilchards and packets of sago, tapioca and semolina?

FooFooTheSnoo Thu 10-Jan-08 14:20:55

I used to do a tuna pie when I was a student. Onion, peppers, tin of tuna and tin of mushroom soup! Bleurch.

mum had some hysterical old cookery books with recipes for things like rice mould - the very name is vile - cold rice turned out from a mould decorated with bits of veg or pineapple rings, or jellied savoury rings with tomato in - thank God she never attempted those !

chrissnow Thu 10-Jan-08 14:22:17

did anyone elses mum do the salmon mousse in a fish shaped mould and then add 'cucmber scales'? That thing used to freak me out!!

get busy with the whizzy...soda stream !

Fimbo Thu 10-Jan-08 14:24:33

Chicken in white sauce (bought from M & S) and dumped over the top of a croissant. Still gives me the shudders thinking about it.

Another scrummy treat hmm was one of those fluted sponge bases, topped with Dream Topping and tinned mandarin oranges.

<<<throws head down toilet>>>

oh that's reminded me of those sponge flan bases where you put peach halves or whatever in them and cover with that flan jelly stuff to set it (or arrowroot) - they were quite nice actually ! And junket !!

JackieNo Thu 10-Jan-08 14:28:44

My mum used to do a lime jelly in a circular mould, with coleslaw inside ithmm. To go with meat fondue, naturallygrin. I never ate it - looked too horrible.

But she also used to do mint choc chip angel delight - chocolate angel delight, with a couple of drops of peppermint essence, and mint chocolate chopped up and stirred in. Gorgeousgrin.

lime jelly and coleslaw - nice !
I made blancmange the other day for a bit of nostalgia.

pink because my mum used to put tomato puree in it as my dad hated white sauces hmm

It still doesn't feel right to me when I have it without

FooFooTheSnoo Thu 10-Jan-08 14:31:17

I think the lime jelly with coleslaw takes the prize

FooFooTheSnoo Thu 10-Jan-08 14:33:17

My mum made the kids Angel Delight. They came home saying "Grandma's found a great new pudding " grin Wouldn't be surprised if she'd had it in her cupboard since 1976.

does anyone remember that thread which had a link to the bizarre recipe cards ? was last year sometime...

JackieNo Thu 10-Jan-08 14:33:56

One of my favourite things was 'No name pudding'. Tin of fruit salad, suspended in jelly (orange, I think) as a bottom layer, then a layer of Dream Topping, and a layer of crushed digestive biscuits on the top. Sounds strange, but was absolutely delicious.

DrNortherner Thu 10-Jan-08 14:35:23

Cottage Pie:

Tinned mince and gravy
Packet of Smash on top

My mother = shite cook

JackieNo Thu 10-Jan-08 14:35:38

Not the bizarre recipe cards, but this is similar, and very funny.

yes, that was it ! love it !

Blu Thu 10-Jan-08 14:39:40

My top choc cake recipe (with evaporated milk in it) is my Mum's from the Be-Ro book.
And she has the cookery year - invaluable!

I love the presentation of food in the old 'Marguerite patten' books and various Hamlyn cookery books - all very luridly coloured and over-garnished.

I think mum's was a Hamlyn All Colour Cookbook

bozza Thu 10-Jan-08 14:43:07

I still make some of these. blush My pavlova disappeared fairly rapidly on Boxing Day, mind you. And also sometimes do trifles which go down quite well.

My Mum used to make sweet and sour in the 70s. It would be chicken or pork battered and deepfried served with a sweet and sour sauce which involved peas, pineapple, ketchup, vinegar, lemon juice etc and also stodgy white rice and chips. That was my favourite. My sisters were keener on sausage, egg and chips, or bacon, egg and chips, or leftover meat, beans and chips which were served rather more regularly. This was the 70s but I was only 7 in 1980.

The 80s saw us become more exotic with mexican chicken from a schwartz packet. My Mum's version of spag bol etc. She also used to make quiches which she called flans with whole sausages in them.

Anchovy Thu 10-Jan-08 14:48:37

Ooh Bink, I think the canape chessboard was from the Marguerite Patten book - very multicoloured inside, pale blue/grey cover. My mum had one as a wedding present (1962). A couple of years ago DH bought me one from a jumble sale for my birthday for a quid and I nearly cried when I turned the pages, the "resonance" was so strong (recipes entertainingly iffy though!).

We had the Readers' Digest cookery year as well - deffo agree it was ahead of its time - I think that was the defining moment when we acheived a patina of sophistication. There was a lovely recipe for barbecued spare ribs which I still cook.

My mum's snazziest recipe was butterscotch angels' delight with thin slices of mars bar in it. We would be hyper with excitement both before and after it!

Aitch Thu 10-Jan-08 14:49:58

orm, it's not any more complicated than...

look in fridge, find that you have some leftover cream and some leftover yog because your dh has OPENED THEM and USED A TEENY BIT without mentioning this to you. using irritation alone, whip cream, calm down and then gently add nice thick yog and strawbs/rasps/whatever.

if you're feeling fancy, do this in a glass bowl because then when you put lots of lovely brown sugar on top you'll see the sugar melts overnight (or in a few hours) in the fridge and drops through the dessert so that with the fruit etc it looks all marbled and yum. it's lovely served with home-made shortbread.

OrmIrian Thu 10-Jan-08 14:50:33

My mum had a product-based recipe book from the 70s' but I can't remember what it was but perhaps someone here recognises it. It was paper-back and there were recipes in it based around the social/work lives of two groovy girls one of whom was called Samantha. She and her mate (whose name escapes me) worked in the music industry or TV and she had the hots for some hideous looking beardy who eventually fell for her on the basis of the way she catered for an unexpected party at her pad. The 'recipes' were slotted into suitable points in the narrative.

Anyone? Tell me it's not just a figment of my imagination. Well actually I know it isn't because mum took it to their holiday house and I saw it there about 10 yrs ago.

FluffyMummy123 Thu 10-Jan-08 14:51:35

Message withdrawn

kittylouise Thu 10-Jan-08 14:52:24

Lol at the pink cauliflower cheese because your dad didn't like white sauces grin

Also jelly stories have made me reminisce about jellies and blancmanges that gran used to make in red plastic moulds in the shape of bunny rabbits. And she ALWAYS overcatered for parties (something I have inherited) so you would have about 12 rabbits of all different colours - used to look like a surreal Watership Down!

Aitch Thu 10-Jan-08 14:53:34

lol, we actually got a dog cookie jar because of that. my mum hated t but we kids all thought it trez groovy. my mum was a strictly mary berry gal, though, delia was a johnny-come-lately as far as my mother was concerned.

Aitch Thu 10-Jan-08 14:54:41

my mum had a book from th milk marketing board called 'baking with cream' and the words on the cover had Actually Been Piped Out! how's that for sophisticated?

kittylouise Thu 10-Jan-08 14:55:36

What is it about recipe cards and hideous recipes?

Picked one up from Costa Coffee before Christmas for a cranberry, pink grapefruit, prawn and feta salad. Who the bloody hell thought those ingredients would taste nice together.

Sounds like one of those uber pretentious 19 year old chefts from Ramsays Kitchen Nightmares.

FluffyMummy123 Thu 10-Jan-08 14:55:37

Message withdrawn

Bink Thu 10-Jan-08 14:56:07

I'm still trying to remember what the budget caviare was called - something with a Scandinavian feel I think.

Do you remember when duvets were called Continental Quilts?

FluffyMummy123 Thu 10-Jan-08 14:56:12

Message withdrawn

Aitch Thu 10-Jan-08 14:57:45

yes, whatever happened to the milk marketing board? did they do their job so successfully that they retired, having made us all aware of milk?

FluffyMummy123 Thu 10-Jan-08 14:59:19

Message withdrawn

Califrau Thu 10-Jan-08 14:59:21

My mum has promised my brother her complete antique Fanny when she dies. grinenvy - It's all cocque au vin and volauvents but full of classics. Fanny had a winning way with Aspic I seem to remember. My parents were very forward with exotic foods. We never had anything tinned except tomatoes and never anything readymealy. Lots of bulgarwheat and the like. My mother wore (wears blush) Kaftans and I was in clothkits. We had pasta long before it became trendy. They always made their own curries etc. Standards came from the early 70s Dairy Cookbook or the Good Housekeeping recipe book (the updated version f which she gave me for our wedding as hers was a wedding present). Anything else, esp dinner parties, and my mother whipped out her Fanny. It's 7 volumes (IRRC!)

FluffyMummy123 Thu 10-Jan-08 15:00:57

Message withdrawn

Califrau Thu 10-Jan-08 15:01:33

my mum spent a good deal of the 70s piping mashed potato. we had piped toppings on the shepherds pie and fish pie and then it was piped round casseroles etc. There was always a piping bag drying on our radiator in the kitchen!

Aitch Thu 10-Jan-08 15:02:11

<whimpers in corner at mention of clothkits>
that's my proustian button pushed.

Aitch Thu 10-Jan-08 15:02:50

you had radiators! you lucky, lucky barstard...

Califrau Thu 10-Jan-08 15:03:35

I always assumed the dairy one was ex-white as it looked as if it had been exposed to too much piped mash!

wilbur Thu 10-Jan-08 15:05:41

MaryAnn - Tuna casserole = tinned tuna in white or cheese sauce, served with flat noodles or other pasta and cheese on top. So like a pasta bake. One of the staples of my childhood - mum was Canadian so lots of US-type food, including loads of things made with Campbells condensed soup as a base. Come to think of it, I think you can make tuna casserole with the mushroom soup. And watch your salt levels soar.

Mum's show off recipes - late 70s / early 80s were blanquette de veau (sp??), boeuf bourginon, and chocolate mousse. And then when nursery food came into fashion in late 80s as a backlash against nouvelle cuisine she learned to make spotted dick! It was very yummy though, with posh custard.

wilbur Thu 10-Jan-08 15:06:35

And I'm sat here looking at our copy of Cookery Year.

Iota Thu 10-Jan-08 15:08:18

another victim of 70s curry here:
apple and sultanas in it, dessicated coconut and banana on top

some chef must have made that recipe famous at the time - I wonder who?

mummyvontummy Thu 10-Jan-08 15:08:32

Lasagne. And cheese sandwiches! smile

Iota Thu 10-Jan-08 15:10:44

oh my word I found this

Iota Thu 10-Jan-08 15:13:56

and this

CatIsSleepy Thu 10-Jan-08 15:15:04

aaah curried eggs grin
my boyfriend at uni cooked that for me once
amazngly we stayed together for a while despite this

bozza Thu 10-Jan-08 15:21:15

I have a bero book. My MIL gave it to me.

Dinosaur Thu 10-Jan-08 15:25:10

A rather strange (but quite nice) fish casserole with tinned tomatoes and peppers in it, which were new to the Young Dinosaurs at the time (think 1977).

Actually, there can't possibly have been peppers in it, can there? Where on earth would she have got them from? Hmmm hmm. Spot of false memory there, methinks.

And we always had steak, chips and mushrooms on Saturday nights (again, think 1977).

mrsruffallo Thu 10-Jan-08 15:26:29

Coronation chicken
Waldorf salad -yummy
Lots of stew and dumplings

Iota Thu 10-Jan-08 15:27:09

Dino, my mother used to make some kid of boiled egg casserole that had green peppers in it, so they must have been available in the 70s

jura Thu 10-Jan-08 15:27:09

"Proper" spag bol (they had relatives in Italy so brought back the recipe)
Vesta chow mein - we all loved the crispy noodles and would fight over them.
"Mousse" - strawberry jelly whipped up with evaporated milk and then set.
Exotic canapes - hard boiled egg mixed with liver pate on ritz crackers.

Yes, the 1970s curry left a lot to be desired.

Dinosaur Thu 10-Jan-08 15:28:21

I just can't picture them in the village shop...

Carol or June Butterick - if you're out there - did your mam and dad stock peppers???

Anchovy Thu 10-Jan-08 15:29:35

I think when my parents used to have people round for dinner a starter used to be half a grapefruit with brown sugar sprinkled on the top and then flashed under the (eye-level) grill.

OliviaMumsnet (MNHQ) Thu 10-Jan-08 15:30:11

There are probably more but the one I remember most circa 1981 was a starter for "occasions" (dinner party/Christmas day)
Melon boats - yellow melon slice as the hull with a twisted slice of orange as the "mast" and a glace cherry on the top as a crow's nest.
Genius. grin

Anchovy Thu 10-Jan-08 15:30:41

Ooh yes Jura - jelly whipped up with evap milk - loved it.

MrsCarrot Thu 10-Jan-08 15:31:20

Aitch - I believe the milk marketing board is now the milk development council, responsible for The White Stuff slogan and those ads telling teenage girls milk is good for their skin.

Dinosaur Thu 10-Jan-08 15:32:05

My aunties in Ireland did dreadful things involving carrots in orange jelly, really weird.

And yes, pavlova is still their piece de resistance.

Iota Thu 10-Jan-08 15:32:39

melon had powdered ginger sprinkled on it, no of your fancy 'melon boats' smile

kittylouise Thu 10-Jan-08 15:36:25

Gran's showstopper was homemade lemon meringue pie (considered real nouveau cuisine in Devon in the early 80s)

Would have been great if the woman actually had cooking ability.

The homemade pastry was like concrete
Lemon filling was the colour of a builder's high viz jacket (what the hell was IN that)
Meringue topping about 2 feet high in my memory and all glazed an burnished on the outside, disgusting runny gloop when you cut into it.

<shudder>

JackieNo Thu 10-Jan-08 15:36:27

Dinosaur - we also used to have 'goldfish in aspic', which was tinned mandarin bits in orange jelly. Did your mums make jelly then whip in milk, so it went bubbly and opaque? I think that was all you did to it.

FioFio Thu 10-Jan-08 15:39:02

my mum was also a full qualified chef/cook and used to work ina s pecial school and do the meals on wheels

she could cook pretty much anything but like southeastastra, we used to have chicken chasseur alot

FioFio Thu 10-Jan-08 15:40:22

oh anchovy my mum used to do that with the grapefruit too
and olivia the melon boats floated into our hjouse also

bozza Thu 10-Jan-08 15:43:53

Kitty I assume it was like my Mum's lemon meringue and made with a packet mix with a little capsule in it?

My Mum did two weird things although this was 80s rather than 70s. She got a microwave and used to cook all the veg in it, one after another, then leave them in their cooking water and stick them on the table with a draining spoon. Then she would reheat any veg left from the previous day using the same method and so on and on. So we might end up with 3 day old cabbage that had been remicrowaved every day. Because she was also a believer in the saying that "if there is nothing left you haven't made enough".

And she still makes gravy without flour so it is essentially stock rather than gravy. hmm ie just meat juices made to go further with water so quite pale in colour esp if poultry stock but with no fat removed (or mixed into the flour obviously) but just floating on the top. DH is well unimpressed having been bought up on bisto that you can stand the spoon up in. grin

MrsCarrot Thu 10-Jan-08 15:45:43

I'd completely forgotten about that capsule in the packet, so satisfying when it burst in a little explosion of fake lemon

fatzakhal Thu 10-Jan-08 15:49:06

My Mum used to subscribe to a weekly cookery magazine called Supercook. Every week we would have really Snazzy things which generally I hated. She still makes something called Javanese Pork which still can't stand as it contains warm celery ...yak yak yak.

She did used to make a fab lemon meringue though smile

TodayToday Thu 10-Jan-08 15:49:58

Beef bourguignon - we called it beef bogeyman. I'm sure she must have used substituted something for the red wine though. I don't remember wine appearing in the household until the early 80s.

kittylouise Thu 10-Jan-08 15:50:53

Yes - it was a packet mix, was actually really saitisfying to stir, but was the hottest thing known to man and lethal if you spilled it in yourself!

Did you lemon meringue turn out to be almost luminous yello, or is that just me thinking that!

And bloody hell my gran used to make gravy like that - literally just stock. Looked like you were pouring weak black tea all over your roast dinner. We only had proper (ie thickened) gravy at Christmas smile

kittylouise Thu 10-Jan-08 15:51:43

Oh god apologies for all the typos!

JingleyJen Thu 10-Jan-08 15:52:04

Mum used to use the left over chicken from the sunday roast put natural yoghurt over it with curry powder mixed in. Add broccoli and bake for 30 minutes wierd but quite tasty.

FioFio Thu 10-Jan-08 15:52:42

my mum was a big fan of those cheesecake packet mixes

with the cherry topping usually

bozza Thu 10-Jan-08 15:55:57

Yes lemon meringue included mucho fake yellow colouring. I actually quite liked it though, apart from my Mum's pastry being half an inch thick.

Maidamess Thu 10-Jan-08 15:57:17

Pastry base. Next layer jam. Next layer custard.(So far so good) And ruin it with a liberal shaking of dessicated coconut. It makes my throat close up just thinking about it.

Maidamess Thu 10-Jan-08 15:58:24

Oh, and we had the jelly mixed with carnation milk and whipped up too. We called it fluff . Much to our amusement!

Cappuccino Thu 10-Jan-08 15:58:42

my mum still makes a very bright orange lasagne out of packet mixes

sadly it is her best meal

MrsCarrot Thu 10-Jan-08 15:58:57

It was definitely hi viz lemon filling.

We had the cheeseless cheesecake too, I thought they were delicious.

kittylouise Thu 10-Jan-08 16:01:18

Ooh gran's homemade trifles. Trifle sponges. Jelly. Birds custard. Instant whip. Covered in hundreds and thousands. Christ knows how old I was when I realised trifle should have a bit of fruit and real cream in it. Probably the same age as when I realised cooked carrots should have a bit of crunch and cooked cabbage should still be green.

Califrau Thu 10-Jan-08 16:02:53

that's damning Cappuccino!

MrsCarrot Thu 10-Jan-08 16:04:23

yes, I think I had a similar epiphany when I was about 12 so I got a paper round and bought brown bread and houmous.

Califrau Thu 10-Jan-08 16:05:24

My aunt always makes "the Pork Casserole". Dad always says " we'll just stay for a cup of tea" [subtext - he'd rather go hungry than have teh ruddy pork casserole again!)

poshwellies Thu 10-Jan-08 16:05:25

Stepmother made a Birds trifle for sundays..remember dream topping was used alot on tinned 'cocktail' fruit

MrsCarrot Thu 10-Jan-08 16:06:24

what was dream topping made from?

Aitch Thu 10-Jan-08 16:08:08

from children's dreams, mrs c...

Ledodgy Thu 10-Jan-08 16:08:41

My mum made a minced beef curry using sharwoods curry powder she served it on a bed of batchelor's savoury rice. It was actually really nice and I always wish i'd got the recipe off her.

TodayToday Thu 10-Jan-08 16:09:05

Neapolitan ice cream was a treat too.

bozza Thu 10-Jan-08 16:09:16

maidamess my Mum used to call that Manchester tart but we had chocolate sprinkles on the top no coconut. grin But the regulation half inch thick pastry.

FioFio Thu 10-Jan-08 16:10:00

creme caramels

bozza Thu 10-Jan-08 16:10:01

still is in our house today today.... grin well for the DC anyway.

Maidamess Thu 10-Jan-08 16:10:32

Yes, Manchester Tart! (Why Manchester?) She used to try and leave an un-coconutted corner for me, but a few grains always got on my bit.sad

TodayToday Thu 10-Jan-08 16:12:15

I remember a pork and cider casserole that had celery in it. To this day my brother and I hate cooked celery.

TodayToday Thu 10-Jan-08 16:13:14

My mum used to make bakewell tart.

Roobie Thu 10-Jan-08 16:18:01

I recall a bizarre meal - bananas wrapped in ham and then baked with cheese sauce.

MrsCarrot Thu 10-Jan-08 16:19:20

ew, that sounds revolting

poshwellies Thu 10-Jan-08 16:20:18

Sweet and sour pork made from a homepride tin job-sickly sweet as I remember-gawd I used to think my mum cooked a great deal from scratch-it was all from packets and jars blush

Roobie Thu 10-Jan-08 16:22:06

I actually recall it being perfectly pleasant actually - not tempted to resurrect it though!

I remember the numerous stews when we got a new fangled slo' cooker - there was always something quite disgusting about the non-crispy pale sausages.

fatzakhal Thu 10-Jan-08 16:34:51

Today today - just what I said about cooked celery!! Wonder if your mum got Supercook too grin

TodayToday Thu 10-Jan-08 16:55:25

Cooked celery. Yuck!

ChippyMinton Thu 10-Jan-08 17:06:20

Mum had a box of recipe cards she worked her way through, don't recall any main courses, but plenty of fancy puddings:
lemon meringue pie
pears in red wine
charlotte russe
apple snow

we had chill in the 70's too, alternating with bolognese every saturday.

FluffyMummy123 Thu 10-Jan-08 17:27:38

Message withdrawn

My mother did not do snazzy cooking when I was a child - if anyone remembers the mother character in some of the Marian Keyes novels who can't cook - that was my mum (still is really).

The only snazzy thing I can remember is cheese and pineapple on cocktail sticks - which she first did for parties but then started serving up to us for our tea!

Mercy Thu 10-Jan-08 17:32:06

Does anyone remember Gypsy Tart (it was a pudding we had at school)

DaisyMoo Thu 10-Jan-08 17:33:22

My mum's was Chicken Paprika - roast chicken with a sauce made of mushroom soup (yes really), curry powder with sliced bananas and tomatoes on the side with rice.

When my sister an I rebelled against this the alternative on offer was the mushroom soup as a sauce with peas added <bleurgh>

FluffyMummy123 Thu 10-Jan-08 17:34:19

Message withdrawn

Mercy Thu 10-Jan-08 17:38:49

Do you know I have never eaten a Vesta meal, drunk a Sodastream drink or even heard of an electric yohgurt maker.

I ate plenty of meals cooked in lard though.

FluffyMummy123 Thu 10-Jan-08 17:39:32

Message withdrawn

MIL apparently used to make Goulash - dh asked me to try to recreate it for him - don't think it was quite as he remembered it (but then i didn't use any packets or jars wink)

andiemustlosehalfastonemore Thu 10-Jan-08 17:41:09

vesta meals where the culinary highlight in our house and the most exciting thing of all was vegetable tempura juat typing it brings back fond memories

ChippyMinton Thu 10-Jan-08 17:50:22

electric frying pan lol. We had one, pork chops in cream & apple sauce was the recipe for it (both my parents worked for electricity board so you name the electrical gadget, they had it!)

Roobie Thu 10-Jan-08 17:57:43

God yes all the new fangled gadgets. My mum had an electric egg poacher. The pressure cooker was a weird thing too - do people still use these?

prettybird Thu 10-Jan-08 18:00:18

My mum made "Spanish Rice" whcih I hated. This would have been in the 60s. It had peppers and muchroom in it, both of wich I detest with a passion, so I used to really struggle to get enough mince and rice to be able to swallow without gagging shock

She was always an adeventurous cook and our cosmoploitan background meant that we were exposed to lsots fo different influences. She's always had loads of cookbooks - and they were well used.

The one thing we almost never had at home (in fact I can't remember ever having - although we did have it at friends' houses) was plain old mince'n'tatties.

In fact, she probably gave me my love of cooking - and of cook books (which are used! grin)

Bink Thu 10-Jan-08 18:03:28

Prettybird - I LOVE "Spanish rice", and it's one of my all-time staples - no peppers/mushrooms in my version though - mine is just mince & onion & bay leaf & tomato purée (and I use wild rice).

I've never come across anyone else who knew it by that name, though, other than Those Who Lived in a Particular Street in Edinburgh (in the 60s & 70s ...). Do I know you?

FluffyMummy123 Thu 10-Jan-08 18:04:47

Message withdrawn

Bink Thu 10-Jan-08 18:06:33

Ah, puddings - I've missed that bit. There was something called Norwegian Cream, which as I recall had apricot jam and amaretti? could it be? almondy, anyway, biscuits in it.

prettybird Thu 10-Jan-08 18:07:30

n... no, I'm Glasgow (but of that generation). But she could have got it/shared it with friends from Edinburgh! grin

I read earleir in the thread that someone doesn't think they could have had something with pepeers in it in the 60s/early 70s, but I definitely did. We moved to that house in 1969 and left it in 1974 - so I can bracket it. The painful recollection of the struggle is ingrained on my memory! wink

sallystrawberry Thu 10-Jan-08 18:08:54

not special occasion but everyday -

tip-top cream in a tin

we always had that over puddings,
tinned fruit with tip top,
angel delight with dessicated coconut on top and half a cherry,
actually we ate so much tinned fruit and angel delight, or rice pud, semolina, macaroni pud, occasionally icecream (as a treat) but it was always covered in sprinkles, everything had to be garnished

TodayToday Thu 10-Jan-08 18:11:48

Roobie - my mum had a pressure cooker. A few years back she decided to have a pressure-cooker revival and bought a new one. AFAIK the only thing she uses it for is to make Christmas puddings. Which in my book, is more than worth it. But I am rather terrified of the pressure cooker.

Califrau Thu 10-Jan-08 18:12:09

My mum's spanish rice is spanish rice salad. She still does it for parties.

bogie Thu 10-Jan-08 18:12:59

chicken chasseur was uber posh

FluffyMummy123 Thu 10-Jan-08 18:13:04

Message withdrawn

bundle Thu 10-Jan-08 18:15:22

pasta sauce on bottom, cooked pasta on top, loads of cheese and in oven for 20 mins till crunchy on top

yum

we thought we were deaad posh

wombling Thu 10-Jan-08 18:16:03

My mum was fab cook, and used to make loads of great food, but always with a spicy twist, so we would have omlette with onions and chilli's and coriander in, also veg pasta bake, all spiced up, she used to use indian spices in baked beans, and I vividly rmember her watering down and spicing up with sauteed onions and spices Heinz Tomato Soup for my Gran.

My Dad would always cook on a saturday, and he would make lamb keema with peas, served with rice, and this fab dish called smashed potato, which was boiled pot, roughly mashed with a fork and dressed with veg oil, chilli powder, salt and lemon juice, it was fab.

DaisyMoo Thu 10-Jan-08 18:16:38

Puddings - usually just Vienetta. Every blardy day for weeks after Iceland had it on special offer.

If we had people round it was always, always trifle made with fruit frozen in the summer - ie soggy strawberries and pavolva. If Mum was really pushing the boat out it would be a coffee-flavoured meringue with some sort of custard on the top and tinned mandarins.

prettybird Thu 10-Jan-08 18:16:54

My mum also used to make a mastrerpice called an "Othello cake": a Danish cake consisting of three layers of rch sponge cake, with marzipan and confectioner's custard between the layers, covered in cream and topped of with alayer of choclate ganache. A gazallion calories but very yummy!

She used to make it for the "Bee" on a Tuesday night - the ladies' night Sweeing bee that rotated round peopl's houses and for a while was quite fancy in what the hosts would prepare. The Bee still exists - but they don't go to all that effort any more! grin

ahundredtimes Thu 10-Jan-08 18:17:14

This thread is fantastic. How did we all survive?

My mum used to make corn beef hash a great deal, and Smash was a feature, and Angel Delight. Then my dad decided he'd try making bread and that was disgusting but we had to eat it, all yeasty and unrisen.

I yearned, yearned I tell you for a Sodastream

dividedselfridgesxmaswindow Thu 10-Jan-08 18:18:55

she had a big thang for prawn cocktail with brown bread triangles despite her scathing comments re. Black Forest Gateau.

Most snazzy was Beef Stroganoff I think.

My Dad still finds it hard to cope with Lasagne. As in La sanya not La saaaaania.

sallystrawberry Thu 10-Jan-08 18:19:28

my parents had curry nights especially when Wales were playing rugby (the golden era of welsh rugby of course wink)

my mum used to make a fantastic chicken biriani and a lamb biriani (really really greasy but sooo nice) and on the table would be little bowls of dessicated coconut, chopped onion, chopped boiled egg, chopped banana, raisins and peanuts.

also she'd make Millefeuille for dinner parties which I thought was fantastic layered with whipped cream and strawberrys.

Califrau Thu 10-Jan-08 18:20:11

DS1 has just helped my mum make one of her signature puddings (she is a v good cook btw).
manderin oranges arranged in a sponge flan ring topped with orange jelly! SUPER!

ahundredtimes Thu 10-Jan-08 18:20:19

And my mum used to put baked beans in her Shepherds Pie. Why would she do that?

dividedselfridgesxmaswindow Thu 10-Jan-08 18:21:03

My mum had a ring. For Rice, that is. Rice with peas. Yuk.

Tinned pears and evap.

Aitch Thu 10-Jan-08 18:21:09

angel deligth? i yearned for angel delight...
butterscotch instant whip with fruit salad in syrup in our house, oh how we fought for that lurid red cocktail cherry. [plangent]

ahundredtimes Thu 10-Jan-08 18:21:23

I'm trying to think snazzy.

I don't think she did snazzy.

I think she did quick as can be and orf for a fag.

Bink Thu 10-Jan-08 18:21:33

liver stroganoff
oh yes - and not quite as dire as it sounds - the sour cream (now there's sophistication) must have some tenderising effect on the liver

TodayToday Thu 10-Jan-08 18:22:18

I fondly remember arctic rolls but we didn't have that very often.

Aitch Thu 10-Jan-08 18:22:26

<barfs at liver stroganoff>

dividedselfridgesxmaswindow Thu 10-Jan-08 18:22:33

Oooh! Yummmeee! Baked Bens so goes with Shepherd's Pie though 100x

Bink Thu 10-Jan-08 18:23:34

millefeuille is the world's most labour-saving pudding (well, nearly) - block of froz puff pastry, whipping cream, something jam or fruity (those M&S compotes would work well), bit of icing sugar glaze. I think I will do that as ds & dd's next cooking venture

ahundredtimes Thu 10-Jan-08 18:23:56

Yes, with but not IN surely? Perhaps it does.

Anyway I'm not sure she did all that much cooking when I was small. I'm sure she didn't. I'm going to ask her - I bet she paid someone to bring plates of shephers pie with baked beans in to the house.

sallystrawberry Thu 10-Jan-08 18:25:37

Ive been upstairs and dug out some old recipe books my mum gave me
Family Cicle Traditional British Cookery
Family Circle Cookery Course pt 1

and my personal fav -

Entertaining From Your Freezer - 1972 priced 80p grin

ahundredtimes Thu 10-Jan-08 18:26:12

OH she did.

She used to do a big dish of caramalized oranges. God it was delicious, with all the caramel hard around the plate. I took her name in vain, sorry Mum.

Bink Thu 10-Jan-08 18:26:59

Another thing we had nearly weekly was beef olives - haven't seen those for ages - sausage meat rolled up in a slice of very thin steak. Casseroled in cider. Was really very nice.

sallystrawberry Thu 10-Jan-08 18:27:41

we had baked beans in shepherd pies and chillis, I loved it, I suppose it was done to bulk it out and make it go further (like I do with lentils now), I do still put baked beans in chilli sometimes.

Bluestocking Thu 10-Jan-08 18:27:59

LOL at Tablets' mum laying an egg at the sight of the mango chutney!
My mum was (still is) a fantastic cook so we were spared most of the 70's culinary horrors. If my dad was in charge, we used to get tinned ravioli - does anyone remember it? - you heat it by putting the tin in a pan of hot water and boiling the bejeesus out of it. Also tinned sponge puddings, prepared in a similar way, and Angel Delight.

sallystrawberry Thu 10-Jan-08 18:29:49

Just reading through -

Entertaining From Your Freezer

and under the contents it has recipes for -

Morning coffee parties
Cocktail hour parties
Friends for the weekend
Emergency entertaining

among others grin

OrmIrian Thu 10-Jan-08 18:30:00

Marguerite Patten's book is a bible. If you ignore the horrible colour photos that would make the nectar of the gods look like puke. It tells you simple basic stuff like how long to cook all kinds of fish and meat for, how to bone things, yorkshire pud, scones. So many newer ones tend to be too fancy when home cooks don't even know the building blocks of cooking. I inherited mine from my mum - lost the paper cover, the spine is coming off but when she gave it to me I felt I'd finally grown up.

prettybird Thu 10-Jan-08 18:33:14

Mum also used to make "Milk Tart" - a fabulous South African sweet tart, sort of like a custard tart but less eggy and with almond (and vanilla?) essence in it and sprinkled liberally with cinnamon when cool.

She also made a yummy tablet - I have a copy ofit and mus t try it again some time!

Used to have beef olvies at school but don't remember Mum ever making it.

She di also make (and I still make) a lovely lasagne which doesn't use a bechamel/white sauce but uses layers of mozarella, parmesan and eggy ricotta/cottage cheese instead. I think it was an American recipe.

sallystrawberry Thu 10-Jan-08 18:34:09

anyone fancy the recipe for

mustard and pineapple dip

whats bourekakia?

how about tomato -orange soup for your informal dinner party [hmm[

or avocado-grapefruit mould as a stater

in amongst these gems there are some really good recipes

Califrau Thu 10-Jan-08 18:34:13

we have Marguerite too!

Nooname Thu 10-Jan-08 18:37:08

This is a great thread!! My mum was a bit "experimental" in the late 70s, ones I remember are:

- cheese cake made with COTTAGE cheese (still hate cheese cake to this day)

- coleslaw made with raisins and peanuts (bleurgh - ditto above!)

- some sort of dish made with kidneys (actually I liked that, though don't care much for meat at all now!)

- canneloni with sausages in - we thought that was really posh!!

A treat was of course a chinese takeaway on a Friday night.

I never tasted an indian til I went to university though and didn't know what naan bread was!!

sallystrawberry Thu 10-Jan-08 18:37:08

oh milk tart is fantastic by bil is afrikaans, he makes it and potjie, he has a cauldron type pot he brought over with him the last time he was there, he makes some fantastic stuff in it

sallystrawberry Thu 10-Jan-08 18:39:30

ewww prawn and orange cocktail hmm

I don't think I'll be recreating that one

sallystrawberry Thu 10-Jan-08 18:42:19

this recipe book even has a guide to catering for wedding receptions

the suggested menu is

Green velvet soup (cucumbers hmm)
Glazed chicken platter
French bean and apple salad
Spiced pate
Smoked haddock mouse
Palmiers
Croquembouche
Tuiles aux amandes
Champagne or sparkling white wine
Coffee

FluffyMummy123 Thu 10-Jan-08 18:42:22

Message withdrawn

sallystrawberry Thu 10-Jan-08 18:44:11

no its a table with a red cloth, candles and what looks like bowls of green velvet soup hmm

FluffyMummy123 Thu 10-Jan-08 18:45:20

Message withdrawn

FluffyMummy123 Thu 10-Jan-08 18:46:02

Message withdrawn

FluffyMummy123 Thu 10-Jan-08 18:46:24

Message withdrawn

prettybird Thu 10-Jan-08 18:46:40

Sallystrwaberry - my dad make boerewors. Also Akrikaner chops (marinaded in tomaot kectcup, onion and worcestersire sauce I think) and sosaties, kebabs of lamb, apricots and onions.

Mum's koeksisters are also great - deepfired wistsof a sort fo dnought dough that immedialtely soacked in a sugar syrup.

I often think there is scope for a South African restaurant yhere in Glasgow - there are so many great specialities.

FluffyMummy123 Thu 10-Jan-08 18:47:33

Message withdrawn

sallystrawberry Thu 10-Jan-08 18:50:41

oh wow it has a whole chapter on entertaining for teenage parties grin

now it'd be a - parents away for the weekend, house full of hormonal teens shagging and drinking alcopops, with the odd pizza to soak up the booze and vomit in the garden

then it was

"Party food with a theme seems to have a particular appeal for youngsters. Hot dog sausages and hamburgers with a really good minced meat base, can be enhanced by the addition of cheese, fried onion and sweet pickles. Personally I believe in letting them do some of the work themselves as this is part of the fun of the party, even the washing up" grinlololgrin.
it also suggests casseroles with mashed potato hmm tuna and mushroom casserole anyone? hmm

sallystrawberry Thu 10-Jan-08 18:52:58

yep thats the one grin

its gone up a bit hasn't it, considering it was 80p hmm

sallystrawberry Thu 10-Jan-08 18:54:53

yes Prettybird grin
bil makes sosaties and bbq's all year round, he is the best bbq'er Ive ever met, sausages are always perfectly cooked and the chicken is never ever pink.

PatsyCline Thu 10-Jan-08 19:05:33

Boxing Day always brought the delight of turkey in white sauce baked in the oven with a couple of packet of plain crisps on top. For dinner parties my mum always made her fanous lasagne. I think it was considered quite adventurous in NE England in the 1970s.

SorenLorensen Thu 10-Jan-08 19:11:25

I'm from Manchester but I had never heard of Manchester tart til I was in halls at university in Cardiff (much hilarity - Manchester Tart, ho ho).

It's very weird - I was talking about the Cookery Year book today, my M&D still have it - I used to peruse it as a child.

My Mum used to make corned beef mummy - bought puff pastry, rolled out into a rectangle, corned beef and fried onions put in the middle third, then the pastry cut in strips on the diagonal and folded over alternately - hence like an Egyptian mummy's bandages. The fat content must have been astronomical - and we had it with home made, chip pan, chips, cooked in lard.

I remember her making her own puff pasrty too - for a dinner party - and choux pastry for profiteroles.

MrsCarrot Thu 10-Jan-08 19:11:58

We always had baked beans in chilli too, and never rice with it, garlic bread.

And I forgot about the Fray Bentos, how that went between 5 of us I'll never know. We tried to eke out our sliver of ranko pastry like it was fillet steak. Have you seen those things before they go in the oven? Like a solidified toast topper, another joy of the time.

MrsCarrot Thu 10-Jan-08 19:14:29

oh, I loved corned beef pie, that was a treat. Usually we had corned beef mash which was just that, mixed into mash, with beans.

My poor mother did try. I remember her deciding we were to have a health kick and she started buying Mighty White.

SorenLorensen Thu 10-Jan-08 19:17:27

Oh and in dh's family lore is the time his high falutin' Auntie (everyone has one - mine made jugged hare once) made them all goulash when they went to stay. She made a big deal about it being "goulash - it's Hungarian" and when she was out of the room dh's Dad whispered to all the kids "it's made of goolies, you know..." Not one of them would touch it and she was very offended.

hairtwiddler Thu 10-Jan-08 19:17:28

I used to go crazy for fray bentos steak and kidney pie and paella that came in a box with little dried prawns.

Am total food snob now and wouldn't even entertain the idea!
Can anyone remember who made the paella?

FluffyMummy123 Thu 10-Jan-08 19:18:45

Message withdrawn

fatzak Thu 10-Jan-08 19:26:58

Was it one of the Vista range hairtwiddler? Did it come with a little packe of noddles which you deep fried!!

MrsCarrot Thu 10-Jan-08 19:27:14
sallystrawberry Thu 10-Jan-08 19:28:18

when we lived in the Outer Hebrides lobster and crab were everyday meals, along with winkles and cockles picked from the beach, winkles were eaten with a pin.

my mum cooked everything from scratch, we rarely had processed food because it was expensive and not easy to get (apart from the angel delight hmm), if the Naffi didn't stock it we didn't have it grin

was a real treat when we moved back to the mainland and when my dad was on exercise we had frozen chicken pies for a treat, also fresh milk, we had nothing but UHT for 3 years bleaugh!

FluffyMummy123 Thu 10-Jan-08 19:34:38

Message withdrawn

hairtwiddler Thu 10-Jan-08 19:35:23

I think we did have vista curries but not sure if they did the paella. Remember distinctly they changed the box and the recipe and I wouldn't eat it after that! I use to love the little dried prawns (yuk)

Quattrocento Thu 10-Jan-08 19:36:41

She did once manage to roast a chicken but couldn't quite cope with doing vegetables and gravy at the same time.

I remember quite a lot of pizzas. The other thing I remember was beans on toast.

FrayedKnot Thu 10-Jan-08 19:37:45

Corned beef hash (corned beef, baked beans, mash on top)

Grilled spam

Dodgy beefburgers from Bejam

Sodastream

The best thing was her goulash which probably bore no resemblance to the real thing but was actually really tasty tomatoey beef casserole with caraway dumplings and always served with garlic bread

Thta was her staple for Rotary Club "Progressive Suppers" - the kind where you move from one house to another having a different course - presumably in the days when it was still acceptable to drink (a bit) and drive

And a dessert made by sandwiching ginger biscuits and cream into a kind of log thing.

TheDuchessOfNorksBride Thu 10-Jan-08 19:38:34

arf at cod 'broek'.

I have a Marguerite Patten book too. Her views on forrin food are hilarious endearing. grin

Aitch Thu 10-Jan-08 19:40:03

lol at goolies. i still make my mum's 70s goulash, it's brilliant.

so. anyone remember the F-Plan Diet? we ate a lot of All-Bran, oh yes. even All-bran cake, with sultanas. (actually rather nice).

FluffyMummy123 Thu 10-Jan-08 19:40:25

Message withdrawn

Iota Thu 10-Jan-08 19:41:56

I have this Marguertite Patten

It has Olivia's melon boats on page 9 smile

FluffyMummy123 Thu 10-Jan-08 19:42:29

Message withdrawn

I think my mum had that one too - I love listening to Marguerite Patten..so reassuring.

Aitch Thu 10-Jan-08 19:44:04

i love those. my mum bulk bought them in a cash and carry in 1976 and i think she still has a couple. no worries, the sell-by date is 2018.

FluffyMummy123 Thu 10-Jan-08 19:45:23

Message withdrawn

DaphneHarvey Thu 10-Jan-08 19:45:48

My mum did most of the recipes on this thread! Re. the mince curry: we had our condiments (the univeral dessicated coconut, banana, mango chutney and sultantas) served in a separate hors d'oeuvre dish with individual compartments with pictures on the bottom. Poncetastic.

Once we went to a party where the mum made a dish that consisted of cold chicken and halved white grapes in some sort of cold white sauce, or maybe mushroom soup ? or perhaps mayonnaise and something, sprinkled all over with crushed crisps. We loved that. Talked about it for years after. Ooooh do you remember that Baked California Chicken Salad Rita made?

FluffyMummy123 Thu 10-Jan-08 19:46:49

Message withdrawn

FluffyMummy123 Thu 10-Jan-08 19:47:03

Message withdrawn

Aitch Thu 10-Jan-08 19:47:19

actually i still do a lot of my mum's recipes. haddock poached in milk and butter and a bay leaf... ooooh lovely. with a baked potato and spinach, yes please. all her casseroles, chicken, beef, whatever. i think my mum fed us Rather Well. grin

Carmenere Thu 10-Jan-08 19:49:10

There is a recipe for Manchester
Tart on the new mn recipes section.

Iota Thu 10-Jan-08 19:49:56

in the section on Children's Parties:

Danish open sandwich fillings

1. Sliced hardboiled eggs and tomatoes
2. Luncheon meat with horseradish cream, prune and an orange twist
3. A rissole, topped with diced beetroot, gherkin and cucumber
4. Smoked pork loin, cheese tomato and parsley
5. Frankfurters and potato salad, with mustard mayo, bacon onion rings and parsley
6. chicken with gherkin and tomato

shall I go on? there's lots more

Aitch Thu 10-Jan-08 19:50:07

that chicken with grapes was a Fanny recipe, i'm sure. my auntie used to say 'receipt', mark you, not recipe...

ahundredtimes Thu 10-Jan-08 19:50:16

[deprived and hungry]

Oh she must have. I remember her cooking when I was a bit older, she's quite a good cook actually nowadays. I don't know what she was up to. Swanning about mostly in a kaftan with a bouncy pendant between her bosom?

FluffyMummy123 Thu 10-Jan-08 19:50:25

Message withdrawn

ahundredtimes Thu 10-Jan-08 19:51:50

Though when I went to University she sent me this parcel of all her Elizabeth David books, all those old Penguin ones. All that olive oil.

perhaps she just didn't cook for us? I think that might have been it. We had loads of au pairs who used to cook us food.

ahundredtimes Thu 10-Jan-08 19:52:19

Sorry. I am actually just talking to myself here.

As you were.

Iota Thu 10-Jan-08 19:52:41

more danish open sandwiches:

7. sliced gammon, mayo and mixed vegetables
8. Tongue and liver pate with aspic onion and tomato
10. Ham with a dessert apple ring, mayo and a cherry
11. cooked sausages red cabbage and onion rings

FluffyMummy123 Thu 10-Jan-08 19:53:00

Message withdrawn

ahundredtimes Thu 10-Jan-08 19:57:00

Oh no not really, she's very nice I like her very much, but she was just a bit dreamy and a bit bored I think and yes, a little grand perhaps.

Also she really didn't know how to cook I don't think. She used to go in the raspberry cage in her bikini and wellies and read books. She's lovely actually, just you know, not the chicken in a pot type.

bodiddly Thu 10-Jan-08 20:01:11

jelly cream (made with condensed milk), blancmange, chicken paprika, oxtail stew, fried bread with sugar on top (I am amazed I have any teeth left at all), rissoles, meatloaf, stewed fruit and custard .... to name a few!

FluffyMummy123 Thu 10-Jan-08 20:02:33

Message withdrawn

XAliceInWonderlandX Thu 10-Jan-08 20:03:04

carnation milk

bodiddly Thu 10-Jan-08 20:06:06

yep that is it ... carnation milk and jelly whipped together .... really sickly!

Aitch Thu 10-Jan-08 20:06:50

my aunt made us a milk jelly last year, i really nearly threw up. shock

aha
chicken "curry" with sultanas, presented on a ring of startlingly Daz white rice
rum baba (foul imo)
followed by Bird's trifle

FluffyMummy123 Thu 10-Jan-08 20:08:45

Message withdrawn

actually my mum is a fab cook, though she does tend to pressure cook vegetables to a fine mush
broccoli in particular, virtually liquid

my mum, posh shock
no, common as muck but a pretty adventurous cook for her time and class
spag bol and lasagne in th emid 70s etc

FrannyandZooey Thu 10-Jan-08 20:13:10

mine did what is it called? That ring of meat with the frilly bobbles stuck on the top of the bones

<ugh>

and lemon meringue pie, or raspberry pavlova

latter was fab actually

rack of lamb?

Aitch Thu 10-Jan-08 20:16:44

mmmm at ring of meat. no wonder you're a veggie

XAliceInWonderlandX Thu 10-Jan-08 20:17:47

is that the meat with funny hats could never understand that

XAliceInWonderlandX Thu 10-Jan-08 20:17:48

is that the meat with funny hats could never understand that

FrannyandZooey Thu 10-Jan-08 20:19:29

crown something? I used to have to put the bobbles on

wtf was that all about? "let's stick 20 small frilly hats on this so no-one will notice it is a great big dead lump of animal with bones sticking out of it"

sallystrawberry Thu 10-Jan-08 20:19:52

oh wow @ Attention all shipping

we used to listen to the shipping forecast every evening when we had dinner grin

Ive bookmarked it to read when I have a life of my own again (after Ive finished my degree) wink

MrsCarrot Thu 10-Jan-08 20:21:57

lol at ring of meat

what's the difference between those milk jellies and blancmange then?

bodiddly Thu 10-Jan-08 20:22:01

my mum used to do those pot luck dinners when everyone used to bring a course to a dinner party .... we always used to end up with grim leftovers!

Aitch Thu 10-Jan-08 20:23:15

rice salad, bodiddly, i remember a lot of rice salad...

MrsCarrot Thu 10-Jan-08 20:23:32

I remember discussing that with an american friend at university, she called it pot-luck and found it hilarious that I called it a pool-in.

bodiddly Thu 10-Jan-08 20:25:34

yep rice salad ... but with a few raisins and something curried thrown in ... horrific!

Aitch Thu 10-Jan-08 20:27:49

my aunt's speciality was white rice, spring onions, mayonnaise, peanuts and MANDARIN ORANGES from a can! (i sa this in an appalled way but really, it was weirdly nice).

sallystrawberry Thu 10-Jan-08 20:27:51

I was talking to my sil's a while ago about angel delight, so as a joke at the next family party I made a trifle with angel delight instead of custard, it was a real 70's extravaganza with jelly, swiss roll and a flake crumbled on top grin.
All the grown ups loved it and have requested it numerous times since, none of the kids would touch it grin

Hassled Thu 10-Jan-08 20:29:49

Does anyone remember the 70s cooking classic that was Cookery in Colour by Marguerite Patten? Picture here. It was early food porn - fantastic pictures of cakes (including one that had a small icing man on a small icing bonfire)etc. and I spent many happy hours drooling and wishing my mother was one of the mothers who would spend their days cooking bonfire cakes rather than indulging in 70s feminism and having a career wink.

worley Thu 10-Jan-08 20:30:27

my mum used to make a soup from a tin of plum tomatoes a tin of beans and blend it all with a chopped fried onion, then just as she served it we all got to put some grated cheese on top. i think she read it in an early prima magazine and we used to have to have it all the time.

but her mousaka she made was lush, cannot recreate it now however much i try sad

bodiddly Thu 10-Jan-08 20:30:34

oooh that reminds me ... not cooking but arctic roll really makes me think of my childhood

worley Thu 10-Jan-08 20:31:10

ok it was in the early 80's not quite the 70's sorry saw that bit after i posted

Aitch Thu 10-Jan-08 20:32:33

mine too, bo. and those sponge cakes from the freezer section that my mum would serve barely-defrosted. we called them ice-cream cakes... hmm it was only later we found out the cream was supposed to be soft.

worley Thu 10-Jan-08 20:32:53

ooooo cake porn!! my mum had an early jane asher birthday cake book and i used to sit for hours choosing which cake i wanted. i got a ladybird once and a hedgehog, aka cholog and lots of matchmaker spikes!

FluffyMummy123 Thu 10-Jan-08 20:34:39

Message withdrawn

MrsCarrot Thu 10-Jan-08 20:34:58

we had those too, Aitch, and cheesecakes. I remeber snapping the plastic ring off and trying to carve through them.

sallystrawberry Thu 10-Jan-08 20:39:49

my mum ran our home like a business, she was and still is extremely organised, but when my brother and sister went to boarding school she must have been a bit bored and lonely, she helped out in the local nurserys and "old folks club", went to coffee mornings, made our clothes hmm puppy walked for guide dogs for the blind and the house and garden were always neat and spotless.

Ive always rebelled and am a disorganised busy slattern wink

bodiddly Thu 10-Jan-08 20:39:54

that and the blocks of mousse that you used to get in the freezer section .. like blocks of ice cream but lemon, strawberry or chocolate mousse - I used to love it

ChippyMinton Thu 10-Jan-08 20:40:19

lemon and orange skins filled with icecream

FluffyMummy123 Thu 10-Jan-08 20:40:38

Message withdrawn

MrsJohnCusack Thu 10-Jan-08 20:40:53

bvlimey cod your mum is my mum

yes, chilli con carne and pav

also pork and pineapple

shimmy Thu 10-Jan-08 20:42:54

anyone else get rabbit caserole a lot as a child?

and anyone else's parents use table spoons as soup spoons? (mine still do)

XAliceInWonderlandX Thu 10-Jan-08 20:44:18

we all left the table when my mum announced it was rabbit stew

and my little brother burst into tears

ChippyMinton Thu 10-Jan-08 20:45:36

proper soup spoons.
A great aunt did jugged hare one xmas, even my parents couldn't eat it, it stank the house out and there was a feeling of doom overshadowing the pre-lunch cocktails.

hatrick Thu 10-Jan-08 20:45:41

My mum did gnocci all the time, we used to call it nyucky because it was grin
Veg lasagne and kegery were a weekly thing at our house too.

bodiddly Thu 10-Jan-08 20:48:40

liver and bacon ... or a mixed grill!

mummymagic Thu 10-Jan-08 21:00:17

A Sausage Plait
which is sausage meat in a pastry plait thing, served with buffet type dinner - she still does it (it's nice but a bit anti-mumsnet - being a giant sausage roll grin).

Mind you, think my mum was quite frustrated cook. As we ate nothing but processed stuff - waffles etc and my dad only likes really bland food. We ate her lemon meringue pie, eclairs, apple turnovers, lots of Jane Asher cakes, though...

(PMSL at all the raisins in curry, we had them too - who is responsible for that? Delia?)

bodiddly Thu 10-Jan-08 21:08:17

my mum did sausagemeat plait too ... in puff pastry

pointydog Thu 10-Jan-08 21:18:24

gammon and pineapple

couldn't stomach the pineapple myself

pointydog Thu 10-Jan-08 21:19:29

oh yaaasss. My aunty did a 'mixed grill' and it was so very exciting.

pointydog Thu 10-Jan-08 21:24:59

and she made fish pie which was a tin or two of tuna, white sauce, peas and mash on top. Very very tasty and I am not a fish pie fan (maybe because I am not a fish pie fan).

pointydog Thu 10-Jan-08 21:25:41

sauces for meat that always contained a tin of campbelkl's condensed soup

pointydog Thu 10-Jan-08 21:30:24

I can't read through this thread it's too long.

So someone might have mentioned the slice of melon (only ever honeydew then) with glace cherry on cocktail stick stuck on top

pointydog Thu 10-Jan-08 21:32:30

"manderin oranges arranged in a sponge flan ring topped with orange jelly!"

oh yes! But I'd pass on teh carnation

MrsCarrot Thu 10-Jan-08 21:49:16

yes, there was melon with a cherry somewhere, there have been a few glace cherries about.

We used to have those flan cases with tinned cherries in with some jelly on it for special occasions.

DaphneHarvey Thu 10-Jan-08 21:51:22

Banana splits! When my mum went away on her Open University weekends, my dad gave us sausages with tinned spaghetti followed by banana splits.

Banana, three different kinds of ice-cream, no squirty cream for us, we were far too serfisticated, but halved glace cherries and chopped nuts on tops.

Think we had just got our first freezer (same size as small family car and certainly had to live in our garage) which parents dutifully filled with gallon sized tubs of ice-cream.

DaisyMoo Thu 10-Jan-08 22:31:50

We've been thinking of having a 70s themed dinner party for ages (complete with Kaftans of course) and this thread has given me loads of ideas - thanks!

FluffyMummy123 Thu 10-Jan-08 22:39:21

Message withdrawn

Cremolafoam Thu 10-Jan-08 22:40:43

i still have my mums fanny craddock cookbook.will see what i can find.

Cremolafoam Thu 10-Jan-08 22:45:08
Cremolafoam Thu 10-Jan-08 22:47:04

oops sorrythat was a snazzy aberation
cordonbleu

Scramble Thu 10-Jan-08 22:52:26

Not snazzy but I loved my mums fish pie with egg in it.

Sunday dinners in the 80's were the entire contents of the fridge on the coffee table a box of crackers, loaf of bread, jars of pickles etc. You just helped yourself until full, made up crackers and cheese, open sandwiches, ate pickles from the jar and used up all the leftovers from the week.

She did do roast chickens but not on a sunday grin.

TheDuchessOfNorksBride Thu 10-Jan-08 23:22:37

rofl at chippymintons 'doomed hare'.

Snazziest would have to be souffle - she doesn't make them anymore, tis a pity, the plain cheese one was fantastic.

There was also a phase when everything was covered with aspic and turned out of a mould. And they weren't puddings. Very distressing for all concerned.

TheDuchessOfNorksBride Thu 10-Jan-08 23:23:52

And I'm pretty sure I remember some sort of a pudding that was covered in cornflakes?

That can't be right, can it?

DaisyMoo Thu 10-Jan-08 23:54:39

Ooh, I remember cornflake tart. Was it pastry on the bottom, jam in the middle and cornflakes in some sort of syrup on top? That was my absolute favourite school dinner.

Does anybody remember Queen of Puddings?!

Scramble Fri 11-Jan-08 00:00:21

Sorry but I just have to say

Cremola Foam grin.

nodder Fri 11-Jan-08 00:12:56

My mum only ever cooked mince for savoury or burnt cake and custard for pudding. It wasn't lack of money, it was just that is all her and my dad like to eat. I never ate a chop until I left home.

Pekkala Fri 11-Jan-08 00:16:53

My mum used to make ice cream from a packet mix. It made the alternative of barely-defrosted pots of raspberry ripple mousse from KwikSave seem almost appetising...

Anyone remember the Dairy Book of Home Management? - I think it was pretty much compulsory to purchase it off your milkman at some point in the late 70s.

pipsqueak Fri 11-Jan-08 00:34:47

I remember the first time my mum cooked spag bol she served it with the pasta and potatos , cabbage and carrots ! all meals accompanied by spuds and 2 veg come what may!

nodder Fri 11-Jan-08 00:57:22

That reminds me my gran use to make spag bol, she would cube stuff like parsnips, swede and carrots and add to the mince along with peas. I always thought it should of been called spaghetti and savoury mince. Oh and fyi it tasted awful. Tomatoey parsnip = yuck.

FluffyMummy123 Fri 11-Jan-08 08:57:39

Message withdrawn

mumemma Fri 11-Jan-08 09:26:11

Great thread.

My mum made most of these recipes plus things like tournedos rossini - layer of thick bread, layer of pate topped with a steak and thick sauce which set if you didn't eat it quickly. Pure heart attack material.

Also coq au vin invariably followed by 'hilarious' smutty joke.

My maternal grandmother was a fantastic cook, especially puddings but my other grandmother was terrible. Pudding was always bright pink blancmange and Sunday dinner was beef cooked for hours like a piece of leather, all veg mashed and piled up like a mountain. It was like baby food for adults.

Daisymoo - loved Queen of Puddings - my grandmother used to make that!

chrissnow Fri 11-Jan-08 09:28:41

to this day if my mom decides to be 'snazzy' with salad - what does she do? Drizzle some balsamic and olive oil? Shave some parmesan?
No she boils an egg (with obligitary grey ring!) chops in half, dollops mayo on top and ever so lovingly sprinkles paprika on top!!! How 70's is that? (I must confess I do like it tho!!)

FluffyMummy123 Fri 11-Jan-08 09:32:34

Message withdrawn

mumemma Fri 11-Jan-08 09:32:59

chrissnow, my mum still does that and I like it too. She can't get her head round balsamic - she tried once but pouring half a bottle on a salad didn't really have the desired effect.

I still have minor cravings for some of the 70's stuff and DH is disgusted that I still have bananas and custard from time to time, with M&S custard.

FluffyMummy123 Fri 11-Jan-08 09:34:29

Message withdrawn

chrissnow Fri 11-Jan-08 09:37:35

my mom made custard once. Without vanilla! so pretty much hot, eggy milk. (Is that a form you'd like eggs in Cod? 'cus it was not nice on our spotted dick!!).
It was back to Birds after that!!!
Oh and my DH did not get that I do my bananas and custard with COLD custard!! Although now he concurs it is far nicer.

pigleto Fri 11-Jan-08 09:45:48

My mum used to make a stew of white cabbage peppercorns and skirt of lamb. It was delicious. Scandinavian I think.

Her special dinnerparty starter was celery soup which I used to love. I am now married to a celery phobe though so I can't make it at home. Our house was a Delia house.

mumemma Fri 11-Jan-08 10:10:13

iCod, sorry but it's got to be M&S custard, it's the pimped up version smile

TheDuchessOfNorksBride Fri 11-Jan-08 10:12:21

Cornflake pudding didn't involve jam. I think it might have been white and moussey under the cornflakes. And made in an obligatory mould.

DD2 and I have prawns in Marie Rose sauce with avocado for lunch almost every week.

FluffyMummy123 Fri 11-Jan-08 10:13:47

Message withdrawn

chrissnow Fri 11-Jan-08 10:25:42

We used to have a cornflake pudding at school. apple sauce, topped with cornflakes and some very artificial cream stuff.

TheDuchessOfNorksBride Fri 11-Jan-08 10:47:02

We never had artificial cream. Was it good?

We had 'real' food so naturally I spent my youth longing for Vesta curries, Pot Noodles and those savoury pancake things. <deprived childhood>

chrissnow Fri 11-Jan-08 10:57:27

No it was most definately not good!!! Didn't taste remotely like cream. (It may even have been shaving foam!!) I thought we had 'real' food, but this thread has jogged my subconcious into remembering the huge amounts of homepride jars in our cupboard!!! I did long for savoury pancakes a girl whose house I went to for tea used to have them and I remember thinking how 'posh' they were LOL. I also yearned for a soda stream. I remember going somewhere for tea once and being given a chip buttie (which I had never ever had!!) I asked for a knife and fork to eat it and they were killing themselves laughing at me. I then burst into tears when melted butter ran down my fingers. The poor buggers had to ring my mom to fetch me home!!! She still won't allow anyone to assemble a chip buttie under her roof!! (and goodness help you if you ever ask for ketchup!!)

kittylouise Fri 11-Jan-08 11:27:49

My gran's idea of salad:
Iceberb lettuce.
Sliced cucumber
Sliced tomato
Sald cream

That's it.

Remember when the pizza delivery shop came to town (exotic and new in 80s Devon). Remember gran ordering the 'speciality' pizza, sat there confused eating it with a knife and fork out of the polystyrene box it came in. Remember the topping was tomato,cheese, ham and peach. Peach!

TodayToday Fri 11-Jan-08 11:51:47

mousaka - my mum still make s a lovely mousaka. I think she had a 100 things to do with mince book. grin

Gammon and cooked pineapple was a weekly meal for us too.

Chocolate swiss roll in custard. Yum. I might have to disclose that pleasure to my DDs

Has anyone mentioned those little pots of mousse that came from the freezer section of the supermarket? You'd get about 10 in a long bag. Were they called mousse supremes or something? They were very unmousse-like thinking back, more like ice-cream. My brother and I loved the mint and chocolate ones.

There was also an ice cream sauce called Magic or something which hardened on top of your ice cream. It had to be a very special occasion for us to have that.

shergar Fri 11-Jan-08 12:51:05

My Mum's 1970s salad: a lettuce leaf, a sliced tomato, and half a boiled egg with a blob of mayo and sprinkled with paprika. No dressing, nothing. It was ABSOLUTELY RANK!

And she made the same hopeless curry with mince and curry powder, but her mystery ingredient was Branston pickle. Why?

And she had a hostess trolley.

sallystrawberry Fri 11-Jan-08 12:52:26

I loved those mouse, the choc chip and the raspberry ripple ones, oooh and the choccy ones

kittylouise Fri 11-Jan-08 12:53:27

Shergar - at least you had some mayo - we had salad cream! <jealous>

Not jealous of you curry with branston though.

jumpingbeans Fri 11-Jan-08 12:59:21

Bloody hell, I have dished up this lot many times, I thought they loved it, perhaps not!!!! I am going to phone them up

TheMadHouse Fri 11-Jan-08 13:03:30

My mum was a domestic godess in the 70's

She used to make all her own bread and roles, I used to love the smell of the damp teatowls over them while they rose.

Also pie made with tinned mince
Vesta chow mein
Cinimon swills
Home made eclairs
Home made porkpies with water pastry
Fish in fennel sauce with new potatoes
Home made fish and chips (we live by the sea)
Winkles and muscles
Tripe and chittlings with vinegar
Liver and kidney
faggots in gravey

MrsCarrot Fri 11-Jan-08 13:06:49

There was a jam and cornflake school dinner pudding. Jam on pastry topped with sticky cornflakes that had been turned in syrup or something. No mousse in it.

Bink Fri 11-Jan-08 14:25:48

have we done devilled eggs? (there's too much of this thread now for me to check, makes me feel unhungry & worse)

- ie hard-boiled eggs, halved into boats, yolks turned out & mushed up with salad cream, piled back into whites with dust of obligatory paprika on top

Our friends used to do that & I loved them so I adopted the recipe. I make them now (only noughties-style with Hellman's Lite & cress instead of red dust) - dd's just-about-favourite tea.

littlebrownmouse Fri 11-Jan-08 14:31:37

Going back a few posts here, but Dinosaur, I remember peppers of the red and green variety coming ready chopped and DRIED (!!) in a little plastic pot. I can remember quite clearly taking a chrysalis to school in an empty dried pepper pot when I was 5 (1977).

PinkPussyCat Fri 11-Jan-08 14:36:51

To my parents it is unthinkable to have such a thing as olive oil on your salad, they class all oils in the same league as crisp 'n' dry etc. They still think of it as 'wierd continental stuff' fgs. And the only avocado in our house was in the bathroom. Even avocado was deemed too exotic for us in the 70's.
Our snazziest meal had to be sweet + sour chicken (Uncle Ben's of course!grin)

lilacclaire Fri 11-Jan-08 14:50:45

Our snazziest meal was chinese style king ribs (you know the reformed goo shaped to look like a kidney and coated in the tastiest coating) with boiled rice mixed with carrot sticks, onion and mushrooms and soy sauce. Was heaven!

lilacclaire Fri 11-Jan-08 14:52:48

Oh and pudding was 2 digestive biscuits stuck together with jam, some tinned manderins on top then drizzled with single cream (or milk if we didn't have cream), gorgeous!

casbie Fri 11-Jan-08 15:05:13

mum's food was strange traditional english: steak and kidney pie, shepard's pie, liver and onions...

bleurgh!

however, her indonesian cooking was fab: corn-cookies, rice and veg with peanut sauce, grilled banana and icecream - fab! it's strange that she tried to fit into the norm of the time and she would have done much better by us all if she stuck to what she knew!!!

casbie Fri 11-Jan-08 15:08:12

and puddings were always served with lumpy custard - yuewk!

bealos Fri 11-Jan-08 16:42:45

my lovely mum used to make us packet creme caramel (oh so good!) in the shapes of a tortoise and bunny rabbit. there's something slightly dark about that.

until I went to uni I thought that pizza was meant to be a pastry lined casserole dish, filled with 2 inches of passata, topped with floating islands of melting cheese.

We were like sooo continental!

daisymoo - yes to Queen of Puddings - my dad's favourite and totally lovely - have made it myself since

Walnutshell Fri 11-Jan-08 17:04:11

Haven't read all the delicacies on this thread but think I just caught sight of "cheddar curry" so that's worth revisiting grin

Used to have most delicious desert which was Maryland-style cookies sandwiched together with whipped double cream, soaked in sherry, left in fridge to 'set' and then served sprinkled with chocolate shavings. We referred to it as "naughty but nice" which suggests that adventure was somewhat lacking in our lives grin blush

Hmm, I want some now.

prettybird Fri 11-Jan-08 17:05:02

My dad once got asked if a ran a pizzaria when we were in NZ (mid 70s), as we had been making pizzas )from the Pizza express cook book) at a School Fair.

He was a consultant radiologist! grin

bodiddly Fri 11-Jan-08 19:29:49

just remembered my mum's dinner party starter ... half a grapefruit (pink if you were very lucky) with a bit of booze, brown sugar and a cherry on top cooked in the oven!

gingerwench Fri 11-Jan-08 22:07:52

Yes Yes Yes - I'm sitting here in hysterics remembering all these...

sausage plait
mousse supremes
magic sauce for ice cream
merri-mix (the betamax to soda-stream)
the canape chessboard
cold rice salad
endless chinese leaf salad
my aunt's trifle with Bird's, hundreds and thousands and dream topping
Angel Delight (butterscotch is still my ultimate comfort food if I feel v v low and in need of trashy food)
the curries made with the ubiquitous Sharwood's curry mix and always with sultanas

hamlyn all colour
cordon bleu cookery course
dairy book (I bought the microwave version of this from a charity shop - every recipe has a microwave equivalent method! even if it takes longer)

gingerwench Fri 11-Jan-08 22:09:33

And the starters were v snazzy

I'm thinking half a melon with ground ginger or instead with port

or the half grapefruit with brown sugar grilled

Scramble Fri 11-Jan-08 23:03:55

LOL Shergar I get the egg salad thing you refered to at my MIL's on special occasions when she is doing anything prawn releted. I actualy quite like it grin.

hennipenni Fri 11-Jan-08 23:06:05

Crikes, this thread is a blast from the past!

Mum used to mke Bolognase- but without pasta, we're not eating plastic, dear. hmm,we would have a crusty cob instead. Hated Bolognaise then and hate it now.

Curry- like Tutters I think, mince -curry powder - diced apple and sultanas. (Actualy really liked that!)

Yoghurt made in a flask, never had anything other than plain.

Boiled beef in Gravy (left over beef from sunday dinner boiled the next day until it was grey) Bleurgh

Pineapple upside down pudding - loved it then and love it now.

Devils food cake- sickly and horrid.

Scramble Fri 11-Jan-08 23:08:36

Come to think of it I used to put vinager on my lettuce in the days when you only ever had mayo or salad cream. Mum thought I was bonkers I loved it, no olive oil though. Never thought vinagerette would become so popular.

MIL not so long ago was still using olive oil to fry, letting it cool then draining it back into the bottle, urgh! I soon learned not to use her olive oil as a salad dressing.

Bobbiewickham Sat 12-Jan-08 11:04:04

Can I resurrect this?

Did anyone have Bonne Femme?

Basically fish baked in white sauce with black flecks in it (boak)

Out of a packet, naturally.

It only occurred to me when I left home that not everything came in a paper sachet.
We used to have a box of them in the cupboard, like a mini filing cabinet.

There'd be Cumberland Pork, Spaghetti Bolognese, Bonne Femme....just thaw out the relevant meat and bob's your uncle.

They didn't seem to suffer from competitive mummy syndrome in those days, did they?

Whatever got you through the week was fine.

I remember when she discovered courgettes. She chopped them into discs and boiled them until they were grey. You could have eaten them with a straw.

She also discovered lasagne in the 80s, which required two packets (bolognese and cheese sauce). She used to serve it with a bowl of chips each.

I bloody loved it until it was time to wash up. She would use every pan in the house.

Mamamoor Sat 12-Jan-08 14:09:25

Not snazzy but very 70s! My Mum had a YogoMagic yogurt maker! - 'it was yogurt Jim, but not as we know it'. It hummed away overnight and the the result was truly vile. In the end she gave up since none of us would eat it!!

ArcticRoll Sat 12-Jan-08 14:45:48

Marrow stuffed with corned beef-
My mum had a corned beef recipe book and we had a variety of innovative recipes using this delicacy.

'Pizza' made with scone base,cheddar cheese and luminous danish salami.

my mum did marrow stuffed with minced beef,with a white sauce over it. The cut end of the marrow was stuck back on using strands of raw spaghetti to pin it together - was very nice, actually !

Liver creole. Liver in a tomato gravy with sweetcorn.
Green's cheesecake from a packet, also lemon meringue pie from packet too, as also mentioned.
Lots from the good housekeeping cookery book (melting moments anyone? mmmmmmmm). Chicken fried rice, also my dad travelled a lot and made (still does) amazing curries from scratch.

Starving.

Blandmum Sat 12-Jan-08 16:33:23

Her poshest meal was BBQ pork chops. Not cooked on a BBQ, this was the 70s and no-one had ever seen a BBQ. But she would make a BBQ sauce and cook the pork chops in it.

Poshest 'afters' was a mandarin segment flan toppped with Quick Jel

Mommalove Sat 12-Jan-08 17:34:51

Oh yes... Quick Jel! Urgh.

And also stuffed marrow in this house but my mother clearly wasn't as enterprising as MaryAnnSingleton's though and didn't use the pasta pins [deprived]

Spidermama Sat 12-Jan-08 17:37:02

My mum used to do 'Hungarian' Goulash. It was slightly creamy with a bit too much paprika in it.

justpinions Sat 12-Jan-08 21:29:28

Gosh - can't not add to!

Curry with dessicated coconut and sliced banana (in a special, reserved only for this bowl) - check.

A yoghurt maker thing that you had to plug in - check. The yoghurts tasted rank, even with sugar.

A really weird plastic box of recipes, the box was grey at the bottom and had a see through blue/grey lid - check. And had a slightly funny smell??

"Scallops" a strange sea-shell thing filled with fish that you scooped out, washed the shell, mixed with mash and then added the mixture back to???!!

Tuna casserole.

Gammon with pineapple which is still served - rrrrank.

Walls viennetta mid eighties.

Golly.

GetOrfMoiLand Sun 13-Jan-08 19:07:37

Gammon and pineapple urrrgh

The gammon was so bright pink it didn't look like meat. Gran used to serve it up with pineapple and egg.

Pineapple and egg is not a good combo. I still remember the doom I felt when the pineapple juice mixed with the egg yolk, and I knew I had to eat this revolting mix.

AlaskaNebraska Sun 01-Nov-09 13:40:53

looking for baked alsaka tips

RolandButter Thu 14-Jan-10 13:37:40

RolandButter Thu 14-Jan-10 13:47:43

lol at gammon and pineapple

RolandButter Thu 14-Jan-10 14:07:54

and roar at "liver creole"

I have Good Housekeepings Book of Entertaining, published in 1955, which my mum was given on her 21st birthday. One of the chapters is called "TV Entertaining". It starts:

"Informal fireside entertaining has increased in popularity as more people have become television viewers. Whether light refreshments or a more substantial meal are needed, these must be so arranged that they can be eaen with the minimum of fuss and disturbance"

Woe betide that food should get in the way of watching the TV!

Apparently everyone was to be provided with their own tray or small table, and the meal should be served from a trolley.

"If possible, provide each person with his own container of salt, pepper, etc, to avoid having to hand these round. Other pieces of equipment which will save you several journeys include: electric plate warmers, kettles, coffee-makers and toasters, and vacuum jugs and containers for keeping food hot or cold"

Wouldn't it be easier just to have a bloody dinner party?!

GetOrfMoiLand Thu 14-Jan-10 14:20:39

This is such a funny thread.

Cjrist we were all poisoned by homemade curries in the 70s and 80s.

Ormirian has made me lol on this thread.

Plus PSML at 100times 'my mum didn't do snazzy, she did as quick as you can and then orf for a fag'

MikeRotch Thu 07-Apr-11 13:20:22

MikeRotch Thu 07-Apr-11 13:23:06

cybbo Thu 07-Apr-11 13:25:40

My mum made chocolate biscuits with a crunchy crumb base and they were known by the most dreadfully racist name because..well we didnt know any better

She made 'orange fluff' which was semi set jelly whipped into evaporated milk. The whole thing curdled

<dry heave>

MikeRotch Thu 07-Apr-11 13:27:41

OMG WE HAD FLUFF

strawberry

and who remembers danish "Open sandwiches"

My mum used to make fish pie with boiled eggs and, inexplicably, tinned plum tomatoes in it.

Also shepherd's pie with baked beans - WTF? She always said it meant she didn't have to put tomatoes in it, but why would you put tomatoes in it anyway?

Oh and 'chicken tikka' which was cubes of chicken breast marinaded in yoghurt and curry powder and then grilled on skewers until all moisture has been removed and yoghurt takes on a metallic flavour. Served with Uncle Bens, naturally.

Butterbur Fri 08-Apr-11 10:12:16

It was Vesta beef curry or Frey Bentos steak and kidney pies round ours (60s and 70s).

Instant whip for afterwards, or tinned fruit salad with evaporated milk.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now