what are teh essential herbs & spices I should have.........?

(6 Posts)
oaktree Thu 10-Jan-08 08:18:42

Want to cook more (especaily curries) but have no idea what I actaully need beyond mixed herbs......

MaureenMLove Thu 10-Jan-08 08:24:52

If you're going to do curries, you definately need cumin & coriander. Paprika maybe and ground ginger. Tumeric and chilli powder. I think schwarzt do a pack of curry spices actually.

mrspnut Thu 10-Jan-08 08:34:12

For curries I use turmeric and garam masala mostly along with ginger, garlic and fresh chilli.

I also have in paprika, smoked paprika, ground ginger, ground cinnamon, ground cumin, cumin seeds, coriander seeds, cardamon seeds, sumac, dried fenugreek leaves.

I also have fresh coriander, parsley and mint all the time.

janeite Thu 10-Jan-08 18:21:55

The ones I use most are:

Mustard seeds, cumin seeds, turmeric, chilli powder, ground cumin, cardomom (sp) pods for curries

Plus thyme and chilli flakes - for chillis!

Plus paprika, cinnamon and nutmeg and ground ginger but use it in little other than gingerbread.

Califrau Thu 10-Jan-08 18:28:47

I don't do spice at all but I am goooood on herbs

Basil - for anything tomatoey/pasta salads chicken
marjoram and oregano also good with tomato sauces and good all rounders
thyme - good with chicken, fish, pork. lemon thyme also lovely. good in stews
Sage - v good with pork. essential in stuffing. also good with chicken. Quite strong so doesn't mix well with other herbs imho
tarragon is great with chicken - quite subtle but good.
I grow all of them fresh but also have them dried for emergencies. Dried sage is v different to fresh sage that has been dried ISWIM and I would rather use my own than bought dried.
I cannot stand parsley (which goes with EVERYTHING according to my mother) or Mint so no idea on those but know you need it for lamb and raita (sp)

Spicekitchenuk Thu 17-Oct-13 08:52:49

Message deleted by Mumsnet for breaking our Talk Guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now