NANDOS:- Why?

(52 Posts)
MrsSpoon Sat 23-Jun-07 19:58:04

I just don't get Nandos, DH think's it's fab. We were there tonight, my second visit, and I still hate the place. Most of the mealtime was spent with DH absent from the table as he got up and down to order this and that, refill drinks, get sticks for holding corn on the cob etc (I had to stay put as the table had to be pushed right in as the restaurant is so small that nobody can get past otherwise).

Then there's the food, chicken, chicken and more chicken (oh and you can have a grotesque looking veggie pattie thing because chickens eat veggies, or they do in some countries anyway here they eat the ground up remains of other chickens). All chicken prepared in varying heats of piri piri, with more piri piri in a bottle to lash on the top.

After you have painstakingly picked all the tiny scraps of chicken off the shackle of bones that they give you, you are left exhausted and still hungry!

Rant over!!!

Posting this here because DH tells me to stop moaning about it, grrrr!

DelGirl Sat 23-Jun-07 20:00:29

pmsl. I've been to our local one.....once.......never again! It is exactly as you describe

I really like Nandos - largely because I can eat out and not just eat a giant pile of carb. I have a lot of chicken, and a salad.

The kids like the corn on the cob, and the rice, and the fries.

MrsSpoon Sat 23-Jun-07 20:03:06

NQC, do you order a whole chicken then? I had the half chicken and the lack of meat on it was spectacular. I think they must get them from a special farm for scrawny birds.

MrsSpoon Sat 23-Jun-07 20:03:53

Oh and I think my DH likes it due to carb evasion, he has started a new diet/life plan ... again!

LucyJones Sat 23-Jun-07 20:03:56

I absolutely agree with you.
When I go out for a meal that I pay for with my hard earned cash - or dh's lol, I expect to be...... gasp...... served....
I could stay at home and queue at the fridge for my food thnaks very much

lulumama Sat 23-Jun-07 20:04:53

i love nandos !

we usually have a whole chicken, between me & DH, rice & coleslaw, and the children have chicken in pita...and they are big portions

i think it is reasonably priced and you get a lot for your money

chicken always tasty and not dried out

Oo - we like Nandos too ... infact we were going to go there for dinner tonight - but was passing Tootsies along the way and went there instead!

MrsSpoon Sat 23-Jun-07 20:15:11

Ooooh, the Nandos lovers are edging into the lead. [girn]

NikkiBFG Sat 23-Jun-07 20:16:06

The chips are goooooooooodddd!!!

<chip loving emoticon>

beansprout Sat 23-Jun-07 20:18:57

Posh KFC innit?

NikkiBFG Sat 23-Jun-07 20:21:18

Healthier though.....

I quite like the fact that you get to grab a bottle of ketchup rather than piss farting around with microscopic sachets of ketchup and assistants who look at you like you are insane if you dare request more than 1 sachet!!!

purplepop Sat 23-Jun-07 20:27:19

I can think of nicer places to eat but I love the fact that the kids love it. They think they're having a fast food treat when actually it really isn't that unhealthy.

I normally have a half, plus whatever I can grab off the kids.

I'm not exactly a carb-evader, but I find a big serving of white carb isn't good for me, particularly at lunch.

warthog Mon 25-Jun-07 14:10:32

i have a quarter chicken, or the wings with lemon and herbs, no peri-peri in sight and a salad. it's fine! really nice food, and you don't have to order anything that's deep-fried.

perhaps your local branch is crapola?

saadia Mon 25-Jun-07 14:20:55

We love Nandos here, especially the dss and dh always asks for the chicken to be well done, he really makes a point of it.

ChippyMinton Mon 25-Jun-07 14:23:16

I'm on the fence - don't like self service when i'm paying. DH suggested going there for his birthday (mostly because the DC and the oldies like it) but i have persuaded him to go for steak and ribs instead.

MatNanPlus Mon 25-Jun-07 14:27:59

We love Nandos as good hot food, plenty of drinks and doesn't cost andarm and a leg before crossing the walkway into the cinema.

Lemon and herb here tho hubby has been known to add piri piri to his.

Hulababy Mon 25-Jun-07 14:31:27

I'm not convinced by Nandos either. Like a slighter upmarket version of KFC. The veggie options are rubbish. DD seems to like the chicken though.

PestoMonster Mon 25-Jun-07 14:36:46

We love Nandos too. Sort of mid-way between fast-food and a proper restaurant. I love the way you can spice it up with the hot sauces and if you go for the rice and coleslaw option rather than the chips, it doesn't seem too unhealthy. We have been to both the one in Brighton and the one in Portsmouth's gunwharf quays and have liked both, although Portsmouth has much nicer roomier seating.

Enid Mon 25-Jun-07 14:37:37

oh I like nandos

littleducks Mon 25-Jun-07 14:41:25

i quite like nandos, but quality does vary between branches, can get expensive as we end up eating alot of chicken, is child friendly, dd eats chicken without the skin.

We do prefer to get it to take away and have proper fish shop chips as their chips arent all that but for eat in the chicken with pitta or the prego steak roll are good.

DoubleBluff Mon 25-Jun-07 14:42:14

I prefer TFI Fridays, at least you get waitress servide.

chopster Mon 25-Jun-07 14:45:45

tgi is a lot mroe expensive though. I love nandos for witht he kids, since it is cheap and simple. I make it a lot at home too, with the marinates from supermarkets.

chopster Mon 25-Jun-07 14:46:27

nandos do takeaway too., Just a shame our nearest is ten miles away.

FluffyMummy123 Mon 25-Jun-07 14:46:56

Message withdrawn

FluffyMummy123 Mon 25-Jun-07 14:47:11

Message withdrawn

barbamama Mon 25-Jun-07 14:49:32

The vegie pittas are superb! I love them with hot chilli sauce! I ate 3 last week (pregancy craving) Can't comment on the chicken but I have always found them a much better fast and easy place for a quick bite than say Pizza Hut, Mconalds etc. I think the food is a bit better too. And cleaner and better service. Do you like hot spicy food? Might not appreciate them otherwise.

iota Mon 25-Jun-07 14:51:20

The food is not grat at our local Nandos - I agree with the slightly upmarket KFC comment.

We much prefer Wagamamas for fast, tasty and reasonably priced food

Tiggiwinkle Mon 25-Jun-07 14:51:48

Nandos is great for us-DS1 is a coeliac and it is about the only place we can eat out as a family because most of their stuff is gluten free!

PestoMonster Mon 25-Jun-07 14:52:52

Chopster, we do our own version too! It's best when we bbq the chicken and eat outside though. Sadly not an option at the moment

barbamama Mon 25-Jun-07 14:54:33

oooh I love wagamama too! Stop it, you are making me crave some hot spicey food - there is both a wagamamas and a nandos in the shopping centre downstairs from where I am at work, you are tempting me to go out and get one (again) ......

DoubleBluff Mon 25-Jun-07 16:05:33

I went in one once looked a thehmenu and left. It was crap, that you had to go and get for yourself.
That is not a restaurant that is a shop with seats in it.

collision Mon 25-Jun-07 16:08:17

ugh!

It is vile!

I hate it!

I once persuaded DH to go as I thought it was Mexican and we went and it was piripiri everything and I hate piripiri.

We were squashed at a table and the restaurant was filthy.

Never again!

Blandmum Mon 25-Jun-07 16:10:54

The one near us is excellent.

You do have to go to the bar to order and pay, but then you get the food served to your table by the waiting staff.

It is flame grilled, nothing like the deep fat fried crap in KFC.

Good amounts of food at reasonable prices, the kids love it and we have reasonable food.

Mercy Mon 25-Jun-07 16:18:43

I think we have have one near us but I've never been - will pay a visit during the summer hols I think.

MatNanPlus Mon 25-Jun-07 21:29:33

Wagamamas is lovely, very child friendly.

Yo sushi is fun for older children but pricey.

Gingermonkey Mon 25-Jun-07 21:47:52

DH pointed out to me the other day that these 'family' restaurants aren't cheap at all and that it is actually cheaper to go to Sketch than TGI Fridays (and much nicer too).
I hate Nandos, went once never again. Horrid place.

Enid Mon 25-Jun-07 21:49:31

lol @ Sketch

we dont all live in London you know

fishie Mon 25-Jun-07 21:59:09

nandos = vile battery chicken pretending to be wholesome. no different to any other fatinabucket shop.

hatrick Mon 25-Jun-07 22:04:37

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Aitch Mon 25-Jun-07 22:06:46

i've never been, because it looks like it'd be horrible but will now put it on the possibles list. dd likes wagamama, pizza express and a lebanese place nearby thus far.

Gingermonkey Tue 26-Jun-07 07:48:19

LOL Enid, neither do I - I'm a Yorkshire gal. The point was (which I forgot to add as I was half asleep) was that Sketch is reknowned for being horribly expensive and family restaurants (you assume) are reasonably priced.

ProfYaffle Tue 26-Jun-07 07:54:52

I'm a bit meh about Nandos. Being veggie I have a choice of veggie burger on a bun or in a pitta . Everyone else's meals always look lovely and mine looks really dull. On the plus side they're quick at lunchtimes.

Nbg Tue 26-Jun-07 07:57:07

I lurrrrrrrve Nandos.

Tis truly sublime

merryberry Tue 26-Jun-07 09:03:57

tried it two months ago - thought the model of ordering and serving was a nice change and sure has its place. but OHMIGOD those poor chickens - I asked their source and they are battery farmed.

So I had everything but. Yergh - sorry for those who like it. My mum worked as occy health nurse once in a chicken farm, and neither of us have knowingly eaten factory farmed meats since. It was 18 years ago as well...

skirmish Tue 26-Jun-07 09:07:29

i'm with mrsspoon - i just don't get it! ok, the food is ok, but it's always so noisy and crowded!

littlelapin Tue 26-Jun-07 09:09:23

I like our Nandos, we go at lunch with the children and get those huge round booths. The chicken is yummy.

Having said that, I'd swap it for a Wagamamas in a heartbeat <sigh>

lulumama Tue 26-Jun-07 09:10:33

i would kill for a wagamama near us...nearest one is 50 miles away, and that is a bit extreme for a chilli beef ramen fix ! <<droooool>>

ggglimpopo Tue 26-Jun-07 09:11:47

I have been to them in SA, my sister loves them, I am not so sure but as she was paying, it was fine by me.

Now KFC are invading France, Nandos are sure to follow.

skirmish Tue 26-Jun-07 09:15:01

wagamamas = great food, decent price, good service, HATE the fact you feel like you are eating in a german beer hall!

MrsSpoon Tue 26-Jun-07 12:26:06

ROFL @ this "We don't go to Nandos anymore though since dh got food poisoning from there ", that would be a good enough reason for me!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now