what to do with beef silverside

(24 Posts)
dizzydo Thu 20-Jul-06 22:29:10

this morning all efficient like I got out a joint of lamb fillet out of the freezer so we could roast it on the barbq tonight only to discover at 6pm that it was in fact beef silverside (I must start to put labels on I really wont remember three weeks later)

In this weather we really WONT want to eat slo cooked beef. Now it is defrosted what shall I do with it. Any ideas other than sling it?

beef Thu 20-Jul-06 22:33:43

love it with all your heart

moondog Thu 20-Jul-06 22:35:09

Christ,don't throw it!
Cook and have tomorrow with potato salad,gherkins and tomato salad.

wideawake Thu 20-Jul-06 22:36:46

Cook then slice, roast beef sarnies. loads of salt and a good quality wholegrain mustard. Yu can carve off smaller portions from main roast and freeze these individually.

dizzydo Thu 20-Jul-06 22:36:54

How do I cook it Moondog. I've only ever done it in the slo cooker as a casserole. (sorry for ignorance)

moondog Thu 20-Jul-06 22:37:14

yOU CAN ROAST.
lET ME CONSULT....

wideawake Thu 20-Jul-06 22:40:34

Silverside is a coarser cut of beef than topside and doesn't roast as well. It's often used for making boiled beef dishes or mince. However, there are no bones in silverside which means that it provides a great deal of meat per kilo.

To cook: Waitrose recommend beef should be thoroughly cooked. To roast silverside preheat the oven to 180°C, gas mark 4 and adjust the shelves so that the meat will sit in the centre of the oven. Weigh the joint in order to calculate the cooking time. If you like rare beef cook the joint for 20 minutes per 450g plus 20 minutes, for a medium result cook the meat for 25 minutes per 450g plus 25 minutes and for a well done joint cook it for 30 minutes per 450g plus 30 minutes. Baste the meat regularly during cooking. To pot roast, the meat is simmered slowly at a low temperature either in the oven or on the hob with liquid for up to 3 hours (check your recipe for specific cooking instructions and timings). When cooking, ensure that the lid fits tightly to prevent the cooking liquid evaporating. Once the joint is cooked (whether roasted or pot roasted), allow it to stand for 10 minutes - this will make it easier to carve.

dizzydo Thu 20-Jul-06 22:44:14

wont it be chewy wideawake>

wideawake Thu 20-Jul-06 22:46:33

Of course it will, it will be roast beef. Medium done with lashings of salt and mustard. Nothing wrong with it being tough (silverside is always a little tough thats just the cut) the thin slices and natural wetness of sarnies makes up for it.

moondog Thu 20-Jul-06 22:47:20

hMM,NO YOU CAN'T REALLY ROAST (was getting mixed up with topside) but you can pot roast and serve cold,or mince for hamburgers,or cut up,marinate and grill on skewers.

wideawake Thu 20-Jul-06 22:49:17

Um moondog if you cant roast silverside why do waitrose provide full instructions on roasting silverside?..
Just wondering like...

sallystrawberry Thu 20-Jul-06 22:50:07

mmmmm with loads of mayo and a bit of horseradish in the sarnie and tomatos to make the bread soggy

wideawake Thu 20-Jul-06 22:51:35

using tiny strips of sundried tomatoes that have been steeped in water to freshen them instead of tomatoes means our sarnies are less soggy

moondog Thu 20-Jul-06 22:56:21

Hey wide,you can do what you like with it,but speaking from experience,I don't think it's a good idea!

sallystrawberry Thu 20-Jul-06 22:58:20

no you need soggyness to counteract the dryness of the beef

Carmenere Thu 20-Jul-06 23:03:53

You could cut it into slices and batter the bejaysus out of it, then marinate it in lots of soya sauce and maybe some lemon juice, then thread it onto skewers and bbq and serve with chilli satay sauce.

sallystrawberry Thu 20-Jul-06 23:07:08

lolling at bejaysus
its so father ted, like feck
and the irish consultant I know who always greets me with "Well Hullo there Sally"
always makes me smile

moondog Thu 20-Jul-06 23:07:50

Mazrinade would need some oil to counteract dryness.

Soya,brown sugar,cumin,oil,maybe a squeeze of lime and then garlic.

Carmenere Thu 20-Jul-06 23:08:28

iamapieceofcheesecake Fri 21-Jul-06 00:04:56

I LOVE Silverside, and this is the way I roast it:
Put it in a roasting tray (make sure it sits in it's own juices) covered in sliced onions. Pack all the way round the outside with quartered potatoes (or whatever size you prefer your roasties!). Cover it all the way round with tin foil (shiny side in) so that some air can circulate. Bung it in the oven on whatever heat I usually cook at (170) for 1hr 30/40mins then uncover and pop back in for 20/30mins so that it makes up a total of 2hrs in the oven. Hey presto, wonderfully juicey and tender beef. Of course, I don't know what size you have but this is a medium sized bit. Good luck

dizzydo Fri 21-Jul-06 11:46:23

Wow! Thanks for all your suggestions everyone. I wont be slinging it after all but now but I cant decide which way to cook it - all sounds seriously YUM. (I think its going to be soggy sarnies with horseradish, mayo and toms this time but will definitely have a go at all of them in the future.

expatinscotland Fri 21-Jul-06 11:53:00

I love to use this for rolls for picnic.

Marinade it overnight in bbq sauce, then roast per cheesecake's instructions.

Slice up and put on a roll w/your preferred condiments. Picnic ready!

I usually do a silverside, a gammon joint or a chicken roast once a week and we nibble off it for lunches and snacks.

stinx Wed 13-Jan-10 14:24:36

I have just roasted a silverside joint, it was very tender, cooked at bottom of the oven gas 3 for 4 hours, completely wrapped in foil, loosely.

I also put on the other half of the joint to cook in the slowcooker. 4 hours and although very tasty and tender, it was a bit dry.

Just thought I would post this up because I had no idea how best to cook this cut of beef, having heard it was tough.

fudgethenudge Tue 07-Sep-10 00:15:35

I made the fatal mistake of buying silverside last week and cooked it real slow yesterday on gas 2 for 4 1/2 hours - it turned out like leather. Any suggestions as to what i can do with it no except give the whole joint to my dogs

Thanks

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now