Best "value" foods

(34 Posts)

This has probably been done before but supermarkets sometimes change prices and recipes so quality can change...

What are your best budget/value food purchases (as in the tesco value, sainsburys basics etc...). I think I saw someone mention that Sainsburys Basics tea bags were very good?

I'm in a city so have all supermarkets available to me (I think!) but what should I be buying from where? I normally shop at Tescos with the occasional Waitrose or Lidle shop chucked in depending on how flush/bored I am

Tesco everyday value chopped tomatoes, and their stock cubes 10p for 12, and seem to do the job!

fallenangle Wed 06-Feb-13 14:30:36

Value tinned tomatoes, fresh tomatoes, long grain rice, baked beans, flour, mozerrella, salad cheese ( fake feta), pasta cheese (fake parmesan and is vegetarian). Anything that cant be 'watered down' in fact. I know the baked beans have fewre beans but more sauce but that makes the toast soggier - good thing.

Ninjacat Wed 06-Feb-13 14:40:01

I find our local green grocer much much cheaper for fruit and veg than any supermarket.

milk Thu 07-Feb-13 15:39:38
milk Thu 07-Feb-13 15:40:14

The clotted cream that I eat with it is not so cheap though sad

MERLYPUSS Thu 07-Feb-13 15:55:23

I like most Aldi stuff. They have very few basic price stuff though. Their normal stuff is more than basic brand but a whole lot cheaper then branded. The only thing that is not so good is frozen chips. We like the really fat ones.
Asda smart price custard creams are lush, peanust butter is good for baking, butter is fine, (as said before most 'ingredient' stuff you cant go wrong with).
Sainsbury basics chocolate (40p?) is great and they are the only one that do cheap white choc for muffins etc.

dashoflime Thu 07-Feb-13 16:16:05

TickledOnion has hit the nail on the head. Simple foodstuffs tend to be fine, proccessed stuff less so:

I get Tescos:
Frozen Meat Pieces: Chicken, Lamb and Pork (NOT the Mince or the horseburgers!)
All the value fruit and Veg
Pasta
Rice
Tinned Toms
Tinned Kidney Beans (these are about 18p!)
Soap, toothbrushes etc
Dog Food (No processed foods rule doesn't apply to animals Im afraid)
Toilet Cleaner
Cleaning Impliments like scourers
Malt Loaf is heaven!
Yy to Nachos

Things that are no good from the Tesco Value range are:

Mince (greasy and horrid)
Coffee
Washing Up liquid

Things that are Gacky but I buy anyway cos I love em:
Instant Noodles
Value White Bread

These are for my signiture dish of cheese and tomato toasty with noodles on the side grin

Things that are no good from the

dashoflime Thu 07-Feb-13 16:20:56

Ignore last line, bloody I Phone blush
Ninjacat: agree Greengrocers generally better for Veg. None near me unfortunately sad

LouiseFisher Thu 07-Feb-13 16:48:13

I use Tesco Value Apples usually. They seem to be fine smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now