Raw grated potato as a topping for cottage pie?

(7 Posts)
chickencurryfor7 Sun 27-Jan-13 12:43:45

Has anyone tried this? I can't be bothered to peel and mash and also think this could be healthier, but not sure if it will go crispy or not.

chickencurryfor7 Sun 27-Jan-13 12:44:38

Erm, and yes am planning to bake before serving.

CSLewis Sun 27-Jan-13 13:13:47

Um, I too thought this would be a good idea, speed up cooking time etc - after more than half an hour I ended up scraping it off and we just ate the mince with bread, because it just wasn't cooking, let alone going crispy...

I'm sure there must be a way of making this work - hopefully someone will come along to tell us - but don't underestimate how long the stuff takes to cook. Sorry!

chickencurryfor7 Sun 27-Jan-13 13:16:11

Hmm. Maybe I should par boil and then grate. I'm trying this tonight do will let you know if it works. If not, we've got plenty of bread smile

Nishky Sun 27-Jan-13 13:19:31

My mother bought a potato ricer- now she bakes them in microwave and puts them through ricer and reckons it is quick and easy.

forevergreek Mon 28-Jan-13 18:12:57

You could par boil and slice like on hotpot?

OldBeanbagz Tue 29-Jan-13 13:11:32

I think Delia has a recipe for a pie with a rosti topping. You just have to parboil the potatoes for 10 mins, grate & mix with melted butter. Then top your pie and cook as normal. Yummy!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now